AMD Llano - THE great HTPC chip? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Renethex -
"Basically

HD 6550D = HD 5570 with lower clock, UVD3 and poorer memory architecture
HD 6530D = HD 5550 with lower clock, UVD3 and poorer memory architecture"

In overall performance yes, but from what I have read llano graphics was updated to do blu ray 3D and improved de-interlacing. So for home theater there is an advantage over the radeon 5XXX series cards.

With an $89 dollar price for the 3 core A6 I wonder how cheap the A4 is going to be. Combined with a an A55 chipset board this will probably take the cheapest good system away from the G620+H61 setup. The A4 should beat the A6 in idle power do to the lower number of graphics cores so I'm kind of leaning in that direction.
jeffkro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post

Yeah, AMD ain't Intel. One of the differences being that they have only one factory, with a new line, for this part. I assume the under-construction NY state GloFo fab will also be able to make Llanos, when that opens.

Digitimes claims "Llano-based processors are currently suffering from shortages due to the weaker-than-expected yield rates of the related 32nm process".

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110817PD224.html

However, Techreport claim states "AMD tells us [via press release] the A6-3500 "is now available for purchase through system builders and online retailers." "

What's a consumer to believe, considering the fact that NewEgg still lists only the original two 100W Llanos?
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21483

Yea, AMD definitely ain't Intel...

You obviously don't remember intel's chipset disaster with sandybridge. My brother is still running a board with the bad chipset I recommended.
He just doesn't use either the sata 2 or 3 ports, I can't remember which were the problem.
jeffkro is offline  
post #453 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SATA2 were the problem on the Cougarpoint chips before they were fixed. Your brother can likely get a refresh, though I recognize taking apart an already running system and replacing the motherboard is a pain.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
post #454 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

SATA2 were the problem on the Cougarpoint chips before they were fixed. Your brother can likely get a refresh, though I recognize taking apart an already running system and replacing the motherboard is a pain.

Yeah, he only has one drive(plugged into the sata3 then) and doesn't want to bother. I was just pointing out that intel has had its oops-es, pentium 4 for instance.
jeffkro is offline  
post #455 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
winterescape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

...With an $89 dollar price for the 3 core A6 I wonder how cheap the A4 is going to be. Combined with a an A55 chipset board this will probably take the cheapest good system away from the G620+H61 setup. The A4 should beat the A6 in idle power do to the lower number of graphics cores so I'm kind of leaning in that direction.



Well this could be interesting, however, the G620 provides very nice processor power for an HTPC with adequate graphics. I run AMD today but the G620 with the MSI H61 MB looks very tempting
winterescape is offline  
post #456 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Emerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Renethex -
"Basically

HD 6550D = HD 5570 with lower clock, UVD3 and poorer memory architecture
HD 6530D = HD 5550 with lower clock, UVD3 and poorer memory architecture"

In overall performance yes, but from what I have read llano graphics was updated to do blu ray 3D and improved de-interlacing. So for home theater there is an advantage over the radeon 5XXX series cards.

With an $89 dollar price for the 3 core A6 I wonder how cheap the A4 is going to be. Combined with a an A55 chipset board this will probably take the cheapest good system away from the G620+H61 setup. The A4 should beat the A6 in idle power do to the lower number of graphics cores so I'm kind of leaning in that direction.

+1 I am with you on this. A4 may equal the best choice for a low cost/low power striking the best value for an htpc yet
Emerlin is offline  
post #457 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

Well this could be interesting, however, the G620 provides very nice processor power for an HTPC with adequate graphics. I run AMD today but the G620 with the MSI H61 MB looks very tempting…

My bedroom HTPC is this setup: G620 with an ASUS H61 motherboard. I just replaced my AMD x3 705e / 780G / HD5670 living room HTPC with an i3-2100 / H61 setup. Both are very nice.

The 780G with my old 5050e will become my new WHS 2011 build. I still have a Athlon II x4 / 785G as my office PC. I am selling the HD5670 and will probably put the 705e up for sale as well.

Until the SandyBridge i3 and Pentiums and the H61 boards came out, I always built AMD for myself and clients. Now I won't for the price, performance and power usage.

I look forward to the pendulum swinging back to the AMD side when Bulldozer finally gets here. I worry thought with what I hear about Intel's Cedar Trail and Ivy Bridge.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #458 of 880 Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I want to love AMD's offerings too --- I really do. But I have been underwhelmed thus far to be completely honest.

I root for the underdog and want to support them. I just hope they get something out in time. The H61/H67 + Pentium SB is pretty tough to beat right now for regular non-gaming HTPC use and has very good upgrade potential for the next few years at least.
assassin is offline  
post #459 of 880 Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
My bedroom HTPC is this setup: G620 with an ASUS H61 motherboard. I just replaced my AMD x3 705e / 780G / HD5670 living room HTPC with an i3-2100 / H61 setup. Both are very nice.

The 780G with my old 5050e will become my new WHS 2011 build. I still have a Athlon II x4 / 785G as my office PC. I am selling the HD5670 and will probably put the 705e up for sale as well.

Until the SandyBridge i3 and Pentiums and the H61 boards came out, I always built AMD for myself and clients. Now I won't for the price, performance and power usage.

I look forward to the pendulum swinging back to the AMD side when Bulldozer finally gets here. I worry thought with what I hear about Intel's Cedar Trail and Ivy Bridge.
I'm guessing intel will have the 23.xxxfps thing spot on for ivy bridge and power consumption should be awesome. The problem is that its not going to be out for probably 6 months and then it will take a while for the cheaper versions of it to be released. AMD might even manage to get Trinity out by the time Ivy bridge ships, both should be amazing. Intel should lead Trinity on power consumption because of 22nm though, will have to wait and see.
jeffkro is offline  
post #460 of 880 Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
I want to love AMD's offerings too --- I really do. But I have been underwhelmed thus far to be completely honest.

I root for the underdog and want to support them. I just hope they get something out in time. The H61/H67 + Pentium SB is pretty tough to beat right now for regular non-gaming HTPC use and has very good upgrade potential for the next few years at least.
I think the main downside for llano right now is the cost. Once the A4 chip and a55 mobos become available, it should become very appealing. Its hard to pay as much for a llano based system as a core i5 SB, knowing how much better the SB cpu cores are.
jeffkro is offline  
post #461 of 880 Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post
Well this could be interesting, however, the G620 provides very nice processor power for an HTPC with adequate graphics. I run AMD today but the G620 with the MSI H61 MB looks very tempting
Like I said the current best good and cheap system is an H61+g620 combo. The main limitation for some is the no support for 3D blu-ray.
jeffkro is offline  
post #462 of 880 Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Like I said the current best good and cheap system is an H61+g620 combo. The main limitation for some is the no support for 3D blu-ray.

Hmm: looks like H61 MBs have dropped a bit in price since I last looked. NE has two @ $50 and one @ $55, total cost. Two of them even have an internal SPDIF header: I have a 10 year old AVR.
That's an attractive price, especially when combined with a $78 G620.

AMD is really going to have to sharpen their pencils on their still unavailable-in-reality 65W APUs and A55 MBs.
Three out of five APUs still unavailable, no matter what AMD states:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...eries-pib.aspx
vkristof is offline  
post #463 of 880 Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://www.fudzilla.com/motherboard/...er-great-value

Looks like we should start getting cheap llano mobo's soon.
jeffkro is offline  
post #464 of 880 Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

http://www.fudzilla.com/motherboard/...er-great-value

Looks like we should start getting cheap llano mobo's soon.

Thanks for the link. I wonder if the $50 H61 motherboards will drop in price when the A55 motherboards are available...

The fudzilla article also mentions
"Depending on who you talk to, new 65W A-series parts and Athlons should start shipping by the end of the month or in the first week of September."

Let's hope the lower cost Llanos show up soon.
vkristof is offline  
post #465 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Expreview - Athlon II X4 631 Worth For Choice Or Not?

Basically Athlon II X4 631 is identical with A6-3650 in CPU performance and power consumption. Considering the price difference $115 - $79 = $36, this is a good choice for an A75 chipset mb + a discrete graphics card.
renethx is offline  
post #466 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Expreview - Athlon II X4 631 Worth For Choice Or Not?

Basically Athlon II X4 631 is identical with A6-3650 in CPU performance and power consumption. Considering the price difference $115 - $79 = $36, this is a good choice for an A75 chipset mb + a discrete graphics card.

So does this chip have a damage gpu core or was it designed to be a non apu chip.
jeffkro is offline  
post #467 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Expreview - Athlon II X4 631 Worth For Choice Or Not?

Basically Athlon II X4 631 is identical with A6-3650 in CPU performance and power consumption. Considering the price difference $115 - $79 = $36, this is a good choice for an A75 chipset mb + a discrete graphics card.

Meh, I'd much rather stick to AM3. It's still unknown whether Trinity (and succeeding iterations) will be supported on FM1. At least with AM3, you know exactly what you're getting and Deneb and Thuban are pretty cheap on ebay.
ilovejedd is offline  
post #468 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

So does this chip have a damage gpu core or was it designed to be a non apu chip.

Perhaps it depends on each die if IGPU is defective or not.
renethx is offline  
post #469 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Meh, I'd much rather stick to AM3. It's still unknown whether Trinity (and succeeding iterations) will be supported on FM1. At least with AM3, you know exactly what you're getting and Deneb and Thuban are pretty cheap on ebay.

I keep in mind what CPU to choose in my "mid-range" system (CPU price ~$100), the best AMD platform for all video playback tasks. Phenom II X4 840 + 880G chipset was the previous choice. More and more attractive A75 mb are available now:

- UEFI BIOS
- USB 3.0 x 4, 2 of them are internal (for the latest case with front USB 3.0 ports)
- SATA 6.0Gbps x 6 (well, already implemented in SB850)
- Single chipset (so more space for other components)
- More PCI Express 2.0 slots

while new 880G mb are scarce. That's the single greatest reason to choose FM1 (for me). Athlon II X4 631 is cheaper ($79) and powerful enough for almost all video playback tasks. Moreover Trinity (Bulldozer core) may be compatible with Socket FM1, then upgrade path is guaranteed. I don't see a good reason to stay with soon-to-be-obsolete AM3 to build a new "mid-range" AMD system.
renethx is offline  
post #470 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm a little curious what amd is planning as far as future cpu's and socket compatibility. Is the FM1 socket just going to be a temporary step on the way to bulldozer and bulldozer based trinity cpu's? Are trinity and bulldozer going to share the same socket?
jeffkro is offline  
post #471 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Yup, Llano is just a temporary solution. Its core is still archaic K10 (hence CPU performance is mediocre and power consumption is high). Bulldozer is the codename of the basic building block of future AMD desktop/server processors. The upcoming FX processor (Zambezi, Socket AM3+; in September) uses Bulldozer core, so does Trinity APU (2012). Trinity uses Socket FM2. I don't know the relation between FM1 and FM2. If it's like AM3 and AM3+, then Trinity may work with FM1 mb.
renethx is offline  
post #472 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

So does this chip have a damage gpu core or was it designed to be a non apu chip.

I really doubt AMD would allocate scant resources to design it to be a non-apu chip.

So it should have a defective iGPU or a defeated one if they have to make shipment targets and don't have enough die with defective iGPUs.

I still don't fully understand why it has 100W TDP.

I also assume it should overclock well, assuming the REAL power consumption is significantly less than the 100W TDP.

In any case, Newegg still does not list the newer Llano parts, nor the A55 motherboards.

But, maybe real soon now?.
vkristof is offline  
post #473 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Moreover Trinity (Bulldozer core) may be compatible with Socket FM1, then upgrade path is guaranteed. I don't see a good reason to stay with soon-to-be-obsolete AM3 to build a new "mid-range" AMD system.

By the simple fact that it's a "maybe" means an upgrade path is not guaranteed. It might support Trinity (or beyond) but we don't know that for sure. Granted, I have higher (single threaded) CPU requirements so for me, the choice isn't really between AM3 vs FM1. Rather, it'll be LGA-1155 vs FM1 and with the i5-2500K being a sure thing, I'd opt for the former.
ilovejedd is offline  
post #474 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
I really doubt AMD would allocate scant resources to design it to be a non-apu chip.

So it should have a defective iGPU or a defeated one if they have to make shipment targets and don't have enough die with defective iGPUs.

I still don't fully understand why it has 100W TDP.

I also assume it should overclock well, assuming the REAL power consumption is significantly less than the 100W TDP.
Expreview - Athlon II X4 631 Worth For Choice Or Not?. It's pretty obvious that Athlon II X4 631 = A6-3650 with HD 6530D disabled (HD 6530D may be defective).
renethx is offline  
post #475 of 880 Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
- A6-3500 (3-core, $89), Athlon II X4 631 (4-core, no iGPU, $79): Available at retail stores on September 1 (maybe 2)
- A6-3600, A8-3800: Unknown yet.
renethx is offline  
post #476 of 880 Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vkristof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

- A6-3500 (3-core, $89), Athlon II X4 631 (4-core, no iGPU, $79): Available at retail stores on September 1 (maybe 2)
- A6-3600, A8-3800: Unknown yet.

Thank you!
vkristof is offline  
post #477 of 880 Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

- A6-3500 (3-core, $89), Athlon II X4 631 (4-core, no iGPU, $79): Available at retail stores on September 1 (maybe 2)
- A6-3600, A8-3800: Unknown yet.

It looks like the release is postponed until September 9.
renethx is offline  
post #478 of 880 Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks like MSI has a pretty nice A55 board, best part is no legacy pci slots taking up space.
LL
jeffkro is offline  
post #479 of 880 Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

It looks like the release is postponed until September 9.

Supposedly they are shipping in the EU.
jeffkro is offline  
post #480 of 880 Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
kenyee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
- A6-3600, A8-3800: Unknown yet.
Really annoyed the A8-3800 isn't available yet :-P
Can the current Llano motherboards be underclocked decently?
kenyee is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off