ATI VS NVIDIA for BEST Quality Playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to discuss in this thread the most cost effective way to achieve high quality video playback.

Assuming a high quality CPU, such as the i3 or i5, suggest a cost orientated GPU to achieve high quality playback using such renderers and processing software.

This is only for playback, and not encoding, burning or games.---Whats the best for the price???

Some useful terms GPGPU, OpenCL, Microsoft DirectCompute, NVIDIA CUDA, AMD APP, Frame Interpolaton, Madvr, FDDSHOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
If you're going to use a i3 or i5, why not just use the HD3000 graphics built into the cpu?

I have two systems: i5-2500k and a q9300/Ati 5450. Video quality on both appear to be equal in my opinion. I had both hooked to my tv and switched back and forth with the same source material to see if I could see a major difference. There was a slight difference but I couldn't say that one was better than the other.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had this thought as well. HOwever, recently I've learned there are decoders and deinterlacers and delacers and de......

These softwares are very intensive and 'maybe'? make a HUGE difference. The cpu alone can't do this from what I've read recently.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are you sure? I've read in a few places that i3's can't handle the extra load of the OpenClls, Madvrs, etc.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkson View Post
Are you sure? I've read in a few places that i3's can't handle the extra load of the OpenClls, Madvrs, etc.
Don't really know why you would need/want that so I don't know the answer.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
If you are going to use madVR, then there will be no difference between AMD and NVIDIA. All video processing are done by software, with the aide of GPU's stream processors. OpenCL uses stream processors too. In general a GPU with more stream processors is better. In other words, choose a better gaming card, but you don't need a monster gaming card, just a decent one (stay away from IGP, that can handle only elementary scalings). For example, GT 440 1GB, GTS 450 1GB, HD 6670 1GB. Further, if you are going to use GPU's hardware decoder and deinterlacer, NVIDIA is the only choice (LAV CUIVID Decoder). Typically, with Core i3 + GT 440 + LAV CUVID Decoder + madVR,

- CPU usage: 20%
- Video Engine usage: 45% (= Video Processor 4)
- GPU usage: 30%
- Video memory usage: 450MB

This forum is dominated by the standard DXVA + TMT/PowerDVD/MPC HomeCinema school, except for a couple of threads: Avisynth Script for doubling video frame rates, upscaling standard dvd movies to 1080p using ffdshow and your htpc etc. I recommend you to read through the madVR thread at Doom9 Forum. It looks like many videophiles in this forum are now moving to Doom9 Forum.

SVP requires much more powerful CPU, of course. Core i5-2500K/i7-2600K + P67/Z68, or the upcoming AMD FX Series (Bulldozer [Zambezi]).
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1326189
FI

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160290
LAV

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
Madvr

Please inform the board if these 3 softwares are really that beneficial, and how to achieve their requirements efficiently.

edit-Thanks Renethx.

Have you seen the effects of these 3 softwares and is the SVP FI really an improvement? Can Madvr and SVP FI be done at the same time?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

LAV CUVID Decoder is just a decoder and does not really affect PQ (a good decoder is a prerequisite for good PQ, of course). It's madVR that makes difference (not everybody cares about the difference, hence many people uses just EVR). FI removes judders and makes the biggest difference. Compare:

- Original File
- InterFrame

(from SubJunk's InterFrame). If you don't like too much "Soap Opera Effect", it's still possible to leave film-like look and remove judders.

SVP works fine with madVR: GPU Compatibility

Quote:
While using SVP your video card can be used in three different tasks:

1. video decoding (use CoreAVC [now LAV CUVID] for NVIDIA cards, Cyberlink HAM decoder for AMD (ATI) cards)
2. interpolated frame calculation in SVP
3. pixel shaders in player, high quality resize in madVR etc.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

LAV CUVID Decoder is just a decoder and does not really affect PQ (a good decoder is a prerequisite for good PQ, of course). It's madVR that makes difference (not everybody cares about the difference, hence many people uses just EVR). FI removes judders and makes the biggest difference. Compare:

- Original File
- InterFrame

(from SubJunk's InterFrame). If you don't like too much "Soap Opera Effect", it's still possible to leave film-like look and remove judders.

SVP works fine with madVR: GPU Compatibility

Yikes, boo soap opera effect. That is horrible, I guess soe folks like it though.

Quote:
it's still possible to leave film-like look and remove judders

How?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i currently use an overclocked i7 920 (3.5 @ stock voltage) with an ATi 5450 for my HTPC... hah pretty overkill but it's near silent, and letting my old gaming CPU, mobo & ram sit in storage was just killing me.

i do prefer ATi's CCC options for blu ray playback, as between the TV and PC software, i'm able to tweak the PQ about a thousand different ways. I'd also personally stick with the older actual ATi CCC (i use ver. 10.7) with a 5k series, as i feel the drivers are more matured, less buggy, and you can get a card like mine for about $25... do not go with the 4k cards tho, as there are important video tweaks missing in those drivers.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Yikes, boo soap opera effect. That is horrible, I guess soe folks like it though.

How?

24 fps -> 48 fps is a good compromise.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

24 fps -> 48 fps is a good compromise.

My new plasma has 48hz mode and the flicker makes it useless for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yup, this is often the case. 24fps -> 30 fps or 48fps at 60Hz desktop refresh rate. Anyway, if you like moving pictures, stay away from FI, you will waste your time.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, this is often the case. 24fps -> 30 fps or 48fps at 60Hz desktop refresh rate. Anyway, if you like moving pictures, stay away from FI, you will waste your time.

Yah I don't bother with it. My tv has a setting for that too. Never liked it, thats why I stay away from LCD/LED tvs.