No 1080p option in nVidia / ATI control panel! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I have my onkyo TX-SR 605 receiver connected to my HTPC running ATI 5850 card and connected to my Infocus IN72 projector (480p but can accept incoming 1080p) all through HDMI. Anyways, when I try to set the resolution on the HTPC, I only got the choice for 1080i at 30Hz. There was no option for 1080p in the HDTV resolution section of the ATI control panel or Windows 7 control panel. The panel also recognizes the receiver as Onkyo TX-SR605 as the display device but does not show the projector. I don't know if this is normal.

However, when I set the resolution to 720P it works great. 1080i @ 30Hz also works though is not as good. I tried connecting with another HTPC (ASRock Vision 3D with a nVidia GT425 card) and this also did not give me the option of 1080p.

I went back to my old HTPC and then added a custom resolution of 1920x1080p at 60Hz in the ATI Catalyst Control panel and then suddenly the option became available. Though Windows looks washed out at the resolution, movies play great as usual and my projector also shows the incoming resolution as 1080p @ 60Hz.

Any reason why Windows alone looks washed out at this resolution compared to 720p? And why was this 1080p option not available by default for both the HTPCs? Anyone else has gone through with this?

P.S. Sorry if I have rambled a bit, just wanted to describe the situation clearly. Also, I have posted this on the onkyo 605 owners thread, so sorry for the double posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Try 854 x 480, that is your display's native resolution. For most setups native resolution works best since the display doesn't have to convert the signal.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The ATI CCC will only show the detected (native) video timings specified in the EDID of the projector, which are/should be repeated in the Onkyo AVR EDID.

I don't have the IN72 EDID in my database so I can't confirm, only the the IN82 which certainly has a 1080P DTD.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

As said, you should be using the resolution of 854 x 480. Anything more or less will only negatively impact the video quality as an IN72 is not going to have a better scaler than a PC.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

The ATI CCC will only show the detected (native) video timings specified in the EDID of the projector, which are/should be repeated in the Onkyo AVR EDID.

I don't have the IN72 EDID in my database so I can't confirm, only the the IN82 which certainly has a 1080P DTD.

Well, according to InFocus's website, its fully compatible with 1080p/60Hz. Here's the link: https://portal.infocus.com/support/P...=IN72&on=specs

And if the EDID is being passed on, then why 720p and 1080i are available but not 1080p?

Another thought just struck me - I use HDMI -> Cat5 baluns to connect the receiver to my projector (due to the distance and bends in the wall, floor and ceiling). Are they causing the 1080p non-availability? But that should be impossible because its all digital, right? It should be either all or nothing. Because I'm getting superb 720p signal. And 1080p after extensively fiddling with the settings.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 AM

Turn off the use of edid in CCC
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post

Well, according to InFocus's website, its fully compatible with 1080p/60Hz. Here's the link: https://portal.infocus.com/support/P...=IN72&on=specs

And if the EDID is being passed on, then why 720p and 1080i are available but not 1080p?

You misunderstood his suggestion.
Every display panel has a native resolution, which works best if the incoming signal is at that resolution. If the signal is at a different resolution then the electronics in the display has to process & scale the signal to fit the panel.
'1080p Compatible' simply means that it can accept a 1080p signal. However, it won't show it at 1080p, it is going to scale it down to its native resolution. And the electronics in the PJ are not good enough as the video card in the PC. As such, you will get a worse result by sending a 1080p signal and asking the PJ to downscale it, than you would, if you send the correct resolution from the PC.
No matter which way you choose, your PJ is not displaying 1080p, it is simply showing 480i/p. Inserting '1080p' is simply a marketing gimmick by manufacturers.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

You misunderstood his suggestion.
Every display panel has a native resolution, which works best if the incoming signal is at that resolution. If the signal is at a different resolution then the electronics in the display has to process & scale the signal to fit the panel.
'1080p Compatible' simply means that it can accept a 1080p signal. However, it won't show it at 1080p, it is going to scale it down to its native resolution. And the electronics in the PJ are not good enough as the video card in the PC. As such, you will get a worse result by sending a 1080p signal and asking the PJ to downscale it, than you would, if you send the correct resolution from the PC.
No matter which way you choose, your PJ is not displaying 1080p, it is simply showing 480i/p. Inserting '1080p' is simply a marketing gimmick by manufacturers.

So let me understand this. You're saying that because my projector is 480p, any type of scaling by the projector will only result in loss of quality, so I should run the HTPC at 480p ideally. The HTPC will scale 1080P content down to 480p and will transmit it to the projector which will display it without any alterations. Am I correct?

The way I'm currently doing is running my HTPC at 720P, and downscaling 1080p content to 720p and transmitting them to the projector which is again downscaling it to 480p. So you're saying that this is worse than the alternative above? Which means that I should ideally have a 1080p projector to avoid all these scaling issues.

Does a 1080p projector make such a big difference compared to a 480p projector - big enough to spend $1000? This may be the wrong forum to ask this question, but any answers will be appreciated!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
If you need scaling, you should only scale once. So yes, scaling to 480p directly in the HTPC is the best you can do.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post

So let me understand this. You're saying that because my projector is 480p, any type of scaling by the projector will only result in loss of quality, so I should run the HTPC at 480p ideally. The HTPC will scale 1080P content down to 480p and will transmit it to the projector which will display it without any alterations. Am I correct?

The way I'm currently doing is running my HTPC at 720P, and downscaling 1080p content to 720p and transmitting them to the projector which is again downscaling it to 480p. So you're saying that this is worse than the alternative above? Which means that I should ideally have a 1080p projector to avoid all these scaling issues.

Does a 1080p projector make such a big difference compared to a 480p projector - big enough to spend $1000? This may be the wrong forum to ask this question, but any answers will be appreciated!

Yes, yes and yes.
There is a reason why a 1080p display is more expensive than a lower resolution device.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
The statement applies here. Only you, the viewer can say what differences are noticeable. Everyone is wired differently and everyone's eyes are different. And the larger the screen the more noticeable the difference.
I can definitely tell the difference between SD and HD. However, 720p & 1080p are much closer in quality to me than 480p & 720p.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Best option is to go to a local high def show floor (not a Best Buy or similar) and look at their projection displays. They should have at least one setup so you can see the difference a native 1080p projector may make.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies guys. The reason why I never seriously contemplated an upgrade was because my InFocus IN72 is a stunning projector, to say the least. Even though capable of only 480p, the picture quality and sharpness is very "theatre" like and I never felt the need to upgrade, atleast till now. I need to find a way to compare the IN72 with a 1080p projector side-by-side to know the real difference.