Wesena cases for i3 HTPC? Anyone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
asmitee20's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Does anybody have any experience with the Wesena Cases? I'm looking to build a i3 HTPC. I was thinking HDD, 4GB RAM, and an internal Bluray. Maybe a SSD for the OS if you guys think its worth it.
Should I go 2100t or 2100?
I would like to:
1. Watch 1080p.
2. Play Bluray discs on an internal drive.
3. Use as DVR with either ceton infinitv4 or HDhomerun prime when it comes out.
4. Streaming online 1080p from the interweb.
5. No gaming.
The case should be as small and pretty as possible to overcome the "wife barrier". So I figured the Wesena is perfect, but i couldn't find any reviews for it. Which is the smallest Wesena case that will fit my build.
I read somewhere that the cases have a problem with the Bluray drive eject button, it being on the wrong side or something. Is this a rumor?
Thanks.
asmitee20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
CountryBumkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you plan to use the smallest case possible go with the i3-2100T it has a smaller fan profile.

Also check out Assaissin's HTPC building guide (in the stickys) he has picturers of several cases.
CountryBumkin is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
asmitee20's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I looked at it thoroughly, but couldn't find references to the Wesena cases. I know the 2100t is shorter but does the 2100 stock fan also fit?
asmitee20 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Zygmund (the owner of the Wesena dealer in US) answered:

Quote:
Maximum height for motherboard with CPU and cooling system is 1.75" (45mm) in ITX2 chassis.
So the stock cooler of 2100T (~30mm tall) fits fine, but that of 2100 (~45mm tall) won't fit.
renethx is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
babgvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitee20 View Post
Hi,
Does anybody have any experience with the Wesena Cases? I'm looking to build a i3 HTPC. I was thinking HDD, 4GB RAM, and an internal Bluray. Maybe a SSD for the OS if you guys think its worth it.
Should I go 2100t or 2100?
I would like to:
1. Watch 1080p.
2. Play Bluray discs on an internal drive.
3. Use as DVR with either ceton infinitv4 or HDhomerun prime when it comes out.
4. Streaming online 1080p from the interweb.
5. No gaming.
The case should be as small and pretty as possible to overcome the "wife barrier". So I figured the Wesena is perfect, but i couldn't find any reviews for it. Which is the smallest Wesena case that will fit my build.
Which case are you look at? I reviewed the ITX7 a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitee20 View Post
I read somewhere that the cases have a problem with the Bluray drive eject button, it being on the wrong side or something. Is this a rumor?
Thanks.
I had a problem with the eject button, but that was only because the drive I used didn't have one

That said, not all slim line drives have the eject button on the same side. so if you care (I just eject the discs using explorer) make sure that the drive you get lines up with the case.
babgvant is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,098
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Buy Sony BS-5600S from the same store. $160 for this discontinued model is terrible, though.

All newer slot-load drives have a button in the middle (as seen ASRock Vision 3D).
renethx is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StardogChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Which case are you look at? I reviewed the ITX7 a while back.
I'll add a link to your review on the front page of the "Unofficial mini-ITX case" thread.

 

 

StardogChampion is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
babgvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Buy Sony BS-5600S from the same store. $160 for this discontinued model is terrible, though.
E-bay is probably the best place to find one for a decent price.
babgvant is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
asmitee20's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the 5600s on ebay for around 60$.
babgvant, I saw in your review that a 3.5 HDD couldn't fit in with the 2100t low profile HSF? Am i correct?
This means that if i intend on using the 2100t i can either use a 2.5 or remove the HSF. This will add about 150$ for a 1TB HDD, or 50$ for a 500GB one.
hard choice
asmitee20 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
babgvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitee20 View Post

I saw the 5600s on ebay for around 60$.
babgvant, I saw in your review that a 3.5 HDD couldn't fit in with the 2100t low profile HSF? Am i correct?
This means that if i intend on using the 2100t i can either use a 2.5 or remove the HSF. This will add about 150$ for a 1TB HDD, or 50$ for a 500GB one.
hard choice

I was using a regular HSF, a LP HSF might not have that issue.
babgvant is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Member
 
jmpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I really like this case - wesena E5. Where can I buy it here in europe - Portugal? What are the feedback about it? Is good?
jmpa is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpa View Post

Hi,

I really like this case - wesena E5. Where can I buy it here in europe - Portugal? What are the feedback about it? Is good?

I haven't used a e5 but I have used the e7. In fact I have an empty one in the garage that I might use later. Wesena build quality is excellent. Aluminum, rounded corners, etc. A bit pricey for a typical build but if you want to spend a little extra they look nice and are solidly built.

No idea where to buy one in Europe though.
assassin is online now  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off