Help me pick a new tv for my HTPC setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I have a HTPC and it is the only thing I use when watching stuff on my tv upstairs. I currently have a VIZIO JV50P which is rather old. My current issues is I can notice a fair amount of jittering which I believe it from the refresh rate. Sometimes I can ignore it and other times it drives me nuts.

My HTPC is an AMD system with built in Radeon 4200. I use XBMC for most content and Netflix via WMC. All the local content I watch is 720p MKV tv shows. The tv would be directly opposite of a huge set of windows and while I do have heavy curtains up, my current plasma reflects a lot. I occasionally will watch BluRay or DVDs up here also. I will probably by a HDTV antenna for football. 3D is not important to me.

Amazon is having no interest financing for 24 months and I have decided I would like to jump on the offer. I have narrowed it down to three choices:

LG Infinia 55LV5500 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

VIZIO XVT3D554SV - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sharp HE LC60LE830U - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3ACU7TJEUXKOF

Which would be best to work with a HTPC to reduce jittering of HD content? Or which would be the better overall tv for an HTPC setup?

I also currently own to Vizio tvs and they have been great to me. No problems and I enjoy them so they have some brand loyalty with me. But if the Sharp or Maybe the LG were better, I would consider them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Get some blackout curtains. Get a copy of Consumer Reports with the latest TV reviews. As the saying goes get the largest screen you can get until you run out of wall space or money. If you cannot sit at least 8 feet from the screen you may not want the largest. If some viewers will be sitting off to the side get a plasma. Get 1080i for over the air TV and blu ray.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Theres about 11 feet from tv to couch where we sit. I guess Im more concerned as to which I should get since some tvs work better with signals from computer video cards than others.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I am guessing your budget is around $2100? If so, do you not like Samsung TVs? They have been making some good TVs recently. I suggest you take a look at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D6...5841786&sr=8-1

This TV is a 2011 model does 3D as well for about $1900. I am planning on getting this TV myself. Here's a review by CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-34468162.html
post #5 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Most of the expensive models offer features that are redundant for htpc systems especially as regards to network widgets etc on the tv. You've got the tv connected to the pc. That is the most versatile widget. So don't spend extra on these bells & whistles.

The bigger decision is do you want plasma or LED/LCD. Then go down that path. +1 for looking over consumer reports and reading over the owner's thread her on AVS. Most likely you'll see people complaining about some thing or the other. Better to know if it's a big issue for you before you buy then after.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

No it is more about whats available for interest free financing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000610021

I like Samsung products- I have a lot of them.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Most of the expensive models offer features that are redundant for htpc systems especially as regards to network widgets etc on the tv. You've got the tv connected to the pc. That is the most versatile widget. So don't spend extra on these bells & whistles.

The bigger decision is do you want plasma or LED/LCD. Then go down that path. +1 for looking over consumer reports and reading over the owner's thread her on AVS. Most likely you'll see people complaining about some thing or the other. Better to know if it's a big issue for you before you buy then after.

Well, it's also about refresh rates, and 24p capability, and LED backlighting, etc. There are a lot of things other than internet widgets that good models offer, typically relating to delivering a better picture.. My LG 47LE8500 (yes, there's also a 55" version) has minimal widgets and internet capability, but it does have local dimming LED backlighting, 240hz refresh, and a spectacular picture.

And it's very thin and doesn't heat the room like a wood stove the way my Pioneer Elite Plasma does. My wife won't allow another plasma in the house because of the heat that set generates.

But there are a ton of threads about virtually every available make and model in the Display Devices section here on AVS Forum. Reading those will provide you lots of information.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Are there threads that talk about what is best for HTPCs? I looked but couldnt find one.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post

Are there threads that talk about what is best for HTPCs? I looked but couldnt find one.

There is a dedicated LCD thread. Maybe people there can help you better.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

And it's very thin and doesn't heat the room like a wood stove the way my Pioneer Elite Plasma does. My wife won't allow another plasma in the house because of the heat that set generates.

Odd. i have a 50" pioneer plasma and I don't have any heat issues. I just went over and put my hand on the back (its been on for the past couple of hours) and its just mildly warm. Is your set in a entertainment center?
I also have a 40" samsung 630 model and it doesn't seem to be any cooler (or warmer).
I would not dismiss getting a plasma set based on the heat.

I really like the pio plasma set, but it would not work well in the bedroom - too much light even with the (paper) shades down. Foutuantely I got the 630 model (basiaclly a 650 with a matt screen) because room reflection is anoying. So be sure to consider room light when making your decision.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

I suspect the newer energy efficient / low power utilization plasmas are better wrt heat generation. I had an old plasma that was a heater alright and looked terrible on htpc esp text material. Newer ones have improved quite a bit I hear.

I currently have a lcd but am leaning towards going back to plasma for the next upgrade. It's just more cost effective c/w lcd/led esp for larger size panels.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM

I vote for samsung. I currently have the un55c6300. The new d series have lots of great features. If you are using the tv for mostly htpc then local dimming doesnt really matter. when your htpc is hooked up and the tv is set to pc mode there wont be any dimming. But when you switch to OTA or stand alone box you will notice the dimming especially in shows/movies with dark scenes.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I am going to go with a 60" LG Plasma. Based on price and reviews of the LG plasmas, this seems like a good bet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #14 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Let us know how it works out.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello All,

I have a HTPC and it is the only thing I use when watching stuff on my tv upstairs. I currently have a VIZIO JV50P which is rather old. My current issues is I can notice a fair amount of jittering which I believe it from the refresh rate. Sometimes I can ignore it and other times it drives me nuts.

My HTPC is an AMD system with built in Radeon 4200. I use XBMC for most content and Netflix via WMC. All the local content I watch is 720p MKV tv shows. The tv would be directly opposite of a huge set of windows and while I do have heavy curtains up, my current plasma reflects a lot. I occasionally will watch BluRay or DVDs up here also. I will probably by a HDTV antenna for football. 3D is not important to me.

Amazon is having no interest financing for 24 months and I have decided I would like to jump on the offer. I have narrowed it down to three choices:

LG Infinia 55LV5500 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

VIZIO XVT3D554SV - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sharp HE LC60LE830U - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3ACU7TJEUXKOF

Which would be best to work with a HTPC to reduce jittering of HD content? Or which would be the better overall tv for an HTPC setup?

I also currently own to Vizio tvs and they have been great to me. No problems and I enjoy them so they have some brand loyalty with me. But if the Sharp or Maybe the LG were better, I would consider them.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D8...5867708&sr=1-4

This is my favorite tv of 2011. Except maybe the 60-65 inch or 9000 model wich I'm not sure is out yet.Excellent tv, some of the best specs and reviews and easily the best looking tv of 2011. Picture is amazing. Black are close to what you can get from plasma and I personally prefer the brighter crisp picture of lcds. Also I've had bad experiences with plasma burn in. If you want a plasma though the Panasonic vt30 should be the best of 2011, I'm not exactly sure of its release date but should be soon.Also, you really can do much better than LG or especially Sharp, just do a lot of reading and research. Talk to people in the tv section of this forum, not the htpc section, their generally more knowledgeable. Also don't get caught up in plasma or lcd fanboy talk. Talk to both sides and make your own informed decision. Definitly go see some in person and change the settings or have the sales person change them, turn off demo mode. Try to view it in a smaller type showroom if you can with lighting and conditions more like your house. Also, even some of the most knowelgeable people in here can be biased as well so don't take anything for gospel. Their are alot of different factors to consider. Do your homework.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like I am going to go with a 60" LG Plasma. Based on price and reviews of the LG plasmas, this seems like a good bet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I just saw that you posted this. I would really urge you to continue your search. I have a 60' 2010 Plasma as my main tv. I got it for an excellent process from a friend who was moving. There would be no way if I didn't get the price I did on it that I would buy it new. Beside a little burn in I havnt had any problems with it, its just far from the best quality available, you should really keep looking.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 AM

I agree, you should continue your search...this big of a purchase should not be made so quickly. I don't know if you have Costco where you live (I live in Arizona) but they always have amazing deals on TV's there. I bought a Sony 55 inch LED on Amazon for 1800 which I thought was a steal until I saw it at Costco for 1500. I would recommend a Sony Bravia to you...they make a great TV. Good luck
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page