Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to reiterate what others have found. This bug has nothing to do with the InfiniTV 4. It has to do with the properties of your video card. There are variety of fixes - all being specific to the Manufacturer and type of video card you have. Some cards are worse off than others. X-Box 360's seem to be unaffected, so if you have one and use it as an extender, this would be a good work around.

Google HBO 29/59 Bug and your video card - Good luck in finding a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Does that preclude streaming the recorded content as well?

You are still allowed to stream to an extender.
post #273 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post
That's probably solid thinking. If the Prime works as advertised with 3 dynamic tuners and there's no major WMC issues (big if), then it may be more useful than 4 static tuners depending on your setup.

I'm one of those struggling with getting consistent results from the Ceton Network Tuner Sharing. Well basically only have the issue of WMC losing the tuner and it not coming back without manual intervention. I've re-installed the drivers for the umpteenth time and double-ran the setup like someone suggested. So far so good for the last 36 hours. Even rebooted primary PC with the Ceton card to test whether or not it would come back. It worked, so I'm very cautiously hopeful I'm past that issue.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Ceton and have no regrets jumping on the lower price and canceling my Prime pre-order. Will be interested in seeing how well the Prime operates when it comes out though.
I have a Ceton that I'm tuner sharing on one HTPC (bedroom) to another (living room). I love the way it works but will switch to HD Homerun Prime for a few reasons:

1 - Network tuning has been very reliable, but I did have one crash on the main box hosting the Ceton. I only knew because when I tried to watch TV on the network tuned box, TV failed. I kind of don't like the concept that if the Ceton host is either powered down, asleep or crashed, then the other TV wont work. The HD Homerun wont have this problem (assuming their device firmware doesn't crash).

2 - Its not a big deal, but I do feel static tuner assignment is limiting. I have three additional laptops I use from time to time, and have company that bring their laptops over, and it would be really cool to just run WMC and tune into a TV channel over wifi and watch TV. Can't do that with the static assignment.

3 - Not having to use a ceton clears out all my PCI slots, which allows me to build a box with smaller form factor some day.

4 - I think overall setup will be easier on HD homerun since its uniform on all PCs I wish to use tuners with. HTPCs are filled with quirks and I like to standardize everything as much as possible, so all my boxes will be clients as opposed to one host / one client with different setups.

Just my .02 on the pro/con list.
post #274 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post
2 - Its not a big deal, but I do feel static tuner assignment is limiting. I have three additional laptops I use from time to time, and have company that bring their laptops over, and it would be really cool to just run WMC and tune into a TV channel over wifi and watch TV. Can't do that with the static assignment.

4 - I think overall setup will be easier on HD homerun since its uniform on all PCs I wish to use tuners with. HTPCs are filled with quirks and I like to standardize everything as much as possible, so all my boxes will be clients as opposed to one host / one client with different setups.

Just my .02 on the pro/con list.
Sounds like a lot of assumptions on how well a unit not yet in production is going to work. Someone comes over with a laptop and watches TV over wifi 'without any setup'. Good luck with that

Lifespeed
post #275 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
Sounds like a lot of assumptions on how well a unit not yet in production is going to work. Someone comes over with a laptop and watches TV over wifi 'without any setup'. Good luck with that
2 - The specs indicate the tuners are dynamically assigned. I think that is a reasonable assumption. I'm sure I'll have to run a client install, but that's fine and its pretty logical to assume that the client install will be the same for every WMC client. I know for a fact on Ceton to re-assign tuners I have to go to Ceton host, reconfigure, and then do more work on other clients.

4 - See above.
post #276 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quick question. I have a mini ATX board that I was going to use for an HTPC.

It only has 1 x16 pci-e slot.

Can I use this slot for the InfiniTV 4 or must I have a x1 slot?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #277 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Liked: 147
All PCIe slots are downwards compatable...so a 16x can run a 16x, an 8x, a 4x, or a 1x.

Just make sure your mobo does not disable the onboard video when you put something into your 16x slot. Intel is known to do it, not sure of others.
post #278 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

All PCIe slots are downwards compatable...so a 16x can run a 16x, an 8x, a 4x, or a 1x.

Just make sure your mobo does not disable the onboard video when you put something into your 16x slot. Intel is known to do it, not sure of others.

And some MBs only support video cards in their 16x PCIe slots.

post #279 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM

Searched this thread and others but couldn't find an answer, is there a way to set the htpc to sleep whenever it is not recording or playing a program? No sense in wasting the electricity...
post #280 of 4795 Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Banshee View Post

Searched this thread and others but couldn't find an answer, is there a way to set the htpc to sleep whenever it is not recording or playing a program? No sense in wasting the electricity...

Yes, I have mine set to use S3 after 15 min w/o any user input and no media playing, 2 hr w/o any user input and media playing or if the power button/power off remote command. Recordings will automatically wake as will power button/power on remote command and WOL.

post #281 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM

Anyone have a cool app on the iPhone or iPad to use windows media center?
post #282 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Could some of the current Ceton InfiniTV users chime in on this? I was wondering what shows on Comcast have the flags turned on and the programs you have been unable to record. Also can you edit the recordings with editing software like VideoReDo?

Thanks,

Steve

Programs that have the flags turned on are "protected", and I haven't had a problem recording them, and even with copying that content from one HD to another HD within my PC. I can watch that on my PC or on another display on my network using an extender box such as XBox or the discontinued Cisco extenders. However, I can't watch "protected" content on another PC.

What's "protected" seems to vary depending upon your cable Company - but Premium content (HBO, etc) is almost always protected. Much other HD content on my company (COX) is also "protected". Such as ESPNHD, etc. Broadcast channels, ABC-HD, CBS, etc. are not protected.

Ben
post #283 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loci03 View Post

Anyone have a cool app on the iPhone or iPad to use windows media center?

Check out Remote Potato:

http://www.remotepotato.com/
post #284 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just installed my card.
Installed drivers... ran WMC.
It did a test on my pc and says my video card or drivers do not support protected content.

I am running a ATI Radeon 5700.... what's up with that?

Do I need to do what is mentioned in post #215?

Well.... tried the instructions in 215/216
No luck. WTF? Any thoughts?
post #285 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

Yes, I have mine set to use S3 after 15 min w/o any user input and no media playing, 2 hr w/o any user input and media playing or if the power button/power off remote command. Recordings will automatically wake as will power button/power on remote command and WOL.

Is this why my recordings typically start with 1-2 extra minutes at the beginning, to allow for this "wake up" time? I don't remember seeing settings to change this at the beginning, only at the end.

post #286 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoflyfish View Post

Check out Remote Potato:

http://www.remotepotato.com/

Wow this is nice, but it's only for recorded content. How can I control live tv?
post #287 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post

Is this why my recordings typically start with 1-2 extra minutes at the beginning, to allow for this "wake up" time? I don't remember seeing settings to change this at the beginning, only at the end.

No, there's settings for start/stop times (your defaults are probably set at what your seeing but you can also set individual and series settings) but MC will set a timer to wake wake the PC a few min prior to whatever the start time is set to.

post #288 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

This is weird. Initially I was able to search the guide for words in the title to find a recording. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 x64 on an SSD, and ever since have been unable to find any TV programs to record by keyword search, even though the words are present in the title of an upcoming program. The guide appears to work, and says it has 11 days in it. I tried manually updating the guide without result. The number of days doesn't increase. Ceton tuner seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

Lifespeed
post #289 of 4795 Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

This is weird. Initially I was able to search the guide for words in the title to find a recording. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 x64 on an SSD, and ever since have been unable to find any TV programs to record by keyword search, even though the words are present in the title of an upcoming program. The guide appears to work, and says it has 11 days in it. I tried manually updating the guide without result. The number of days doesn't increase. Ceton tuner seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

lifespeed,

Indeed, it's weird. It's one of the fastest way to search what you're looking for. I've been using SSD for years and just recently moved to PCI-e SSD, Revodrive X2, and I can search the recording by name w/o problem.

Now, not sure what SSD you are using, I know in OCZ forum they mention something like disable the indexing in order to get the SSD even faster. Did you do that? I've no clue that will impact this or not. Just a thought.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post567582
post #290 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 AM

Liked: 17
I have been having problems getting my Ceton card activated by Comcast. Have anyone else had a problem? If not what information did you give them? I have provided the correct information to them but they do not seem to do what to do with it. I have been trying to have it activated for four days now but no luck.
post #291 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 AM

BUMP!

Just installed my card.
It did a test on my pc and says my video card or drivers do not support protected content.

sorry for the bump... but just trying to see if for some reason my GPU is incompatible with this card... if so, back to Amazon it goes! TIA for any help. Going to contact the manufacturer as well.
post #292 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Liked: 147
What drivers are you running for the vid card...and which 5700 is it? All the ATI 57xx cards should be good, but more specifics are better.
post #293 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 AM

ATI 5770 1GB
I was running driver version 8.791.
Just updated to newest ... 8.861 and got the same result....
post #294 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

I have been having problems getting my Ceton card activated by Comcast. Have anyone else had a problem? If not what information did you give them? I have provided the correct information to them but they do not seem to do what to do with it. I have been trying to have it activated for four days now but no luck.

What exactly is the problem? Did you give Comcast all your Host ID...? That is all they need and they should be able to activate on the spot. I have mine activate before the installation guys left my house.
post #295 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

Just installed my card.

Did you run the 'Digital Cable Advisor' app under 7MC?

How is your card physically connected to your display? Do you have more than 1 monitor connected?
post #296 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post

Windows 7 automatically resumes your machine 10 minutes before a scheduled recording and will prevent you from putting the system into standby within 10 minutes of a scheduled recording, so there's no reason to add extra time to the recording.
post #297 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

lifespeed,

Indeed, it's weird. It's one of the fastest way to search what you're looking for. I've been using SSD for years and just recently moved to PCI-e SSD, Revodrive X2, and I can search the recording by name w/o problem.

Now, not sure what SSD you are using, I know in OCZ forum they mention something like disable the indexing in order to get the SSD even faster. Did you do that? I've no clue that will impact this or not. Just a thought.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post567582

I did turn off indexing, thought it was just for recorded TV not the guide.

Lifespeed
post #298 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc07 View Post

Windows 7 automatically resumes your machine 10 minutes before a scheduled recording and will prevent you from putting the system into standby within 10 minutes of a scheduled recording, so there's no reason to add extra time to the recording.

Yes, but we never know the station might be broadcasting sooner and then we will miss the first few mins of the show. I will just leave the default alone, maybe move it to 2 mins before. These days the 2TB and 3TB is dirt cheap and I really don't think it needs to save that couple mins before will make a big different.
post #299 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did turn off indexing, thought it was just for recorded TV not the guide.

lifespeed,

I am not suggesting it will, I am just guessing here since I did not turn off the indexing in any of my SSD since I never turn off my indexing. Please try and share back.

On a side note, I think our SSDs are fast enough for the HTPC use therefore I will just leave it alone.
post #300 of 4795 Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

What exactly is the problem? Did you give Comcast all your Host ID...? That is all they need and they should be able to activate on the spot. I have mine activate before the installation guys left my house.

I have given them the correct info but it does not activate. I picked up a new card today. I will see how it goes in a minute.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page