AVS Forum banner

Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread

530K views 5K replies 476 participants last post by  spencers 
#1 ·

Welcome to the Latest AVS Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread

Goal

I noticed there are few threads here and there and in different forums, I hope this thread can help some of the new owners to set up and troubleshoot the tuner if there is a problem.

Brief history

In 2010, after few years of R&D and speculations, a fully working CableCard tuner finally released. This is a great news for the HTPC users in US who want to watch the pay channel programming within Media Center. No more S video, RCA, component or firewire input and IR blaster from cable box to HTPC. Other benefits are HTPC will be able to record the pay channel content such as CNN, ESPN & HBO into our own HDDs instead of the cable box's hard drive. Last but not least, with CableCard tuner, we can send the cable box back to cable provider and save $12/cable box, since our HTPC will be able to do just the cable box does and much more.

Engadget review here .

Price

$199 -> http://cetoncorp.com/buy-now/

Ordering CableCard from your cable provider

Do yourself a favor, if you have not order the CableCard yet, please just tell them you need the dual stream cable card like the one we insert to Tivo. I know Ceton or your dealer will ask you to be very specific such as "Multi-Stream CableCARD M-Card". But most if not all the service operators will have no clue what you about to do and in their system they will not list it that way. According to Comcast rep when I ordered my CableCard, it listed as "dual stream cable card (TiVo)" in their system.

Official manufacture site

Official Setup Guide

http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/  

Set up other than local HDD as a Recorded TV folder

Set up Kensafe iStorage server in the desired storage server and initiate local machine connects to as an iSCSI server using the instruction here .

Follow the direction here if you want to get a free 1 server lisc of Kensafe iStorage server.

Installation

PCIe

Official Installation Guide

Official Installation Video

Cannon PC installation Video at YouTube  - Video demonstrates steps for a Ceton InfiniTV 4 being installed in a PC.

Report problems to Ceton

Most likely before Ceton support will be able to help you out, you will need to send them the log. Please go to their Diagnostic Tool -> Diagnostic, describe your problem inside the top description box, click "collect information" and this tool will collect all the log. Save the log and email them. Yahoo mail and Gmail will think this is a virus after you attach and not allow you to send such log. You can use different email client or send the log via Ceton support site .

Most common problems
No TV signal

*Check your signal strength and make sure your signal strength is not -15 dBmV and more.

*Make sure you go thru the installation process, above, and activate and pairing your InfiniTV 4 tuner card with the cable provider's cable card.

Signal and Temp

Signal: From what I told by Ceton, we need the signal to be -10 dBmV to 10dBmV (some member using the Motorola signal booster to boost up the incoming signal.

I personally encountered some problems here and at the end, Comcast technician came back redo some of the coaxial wiring, removed the splitter and all fine after that. (from -15 dBmV to -1 to 3 dBmV now)

Temp: 60C to 70C (according to Ceton, anything over 70C we need to watch out) You can refer the signal and temp from their Diagnostic Tool OR you can try InfiniTV Status Media Center Plugin and after installed, it will be in the Extra section in Media Center.

"View or Listening Conflict" Media Center Message

*When you reboot and start your HTPC, this will be most likely the message displaying, about 5 to 10 secs, before the Live TV kicks in.

*According to Ceton, different AV vendors will block different ports/settings and such Windows message will appear. But with Ceton released Network Tuner Wizard, the build in tool will allows tuner to go thru different setting based on your AV software.

*Before the Official Network Tuner Wizard released in beginning of May, 11, there are few tricks to share the tuners. Different tricks or hacks can easily cause such Windows message appears.

"Video Error Files needed to display video are not installed or not working" Media Center Message

Below are what I noticed from different members to sove this problem.

* Disable "Exclusive" in the Properties of the default playback properties

* Change Windows Playback to stereo, 2 channel, and whatever speaker setting you have in Media Center

* Turn off navigation and animations sounds in Media Center

* If none of the above work, please try below and reboot.

Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off.

Turn off the media features. Reboot. Then follow the same procedure to turn them back on.

Please note that you will have to re-run the Media Center Setup.

Happy Live TV and Record 4 programming at once!

See less See more
#252 ·
I would like to build an HTPC using a Ceton InfiniTV 4.

Here are my major hurdles at the moment:
  • SDV on many channels we would watch/record
  • Cisco TA, Current 2-Tuner limit, FW update from Cox expected Aug 1st
  • CopyOnce on every digital channel except locals

Questions:
  • How reliable is unattended tuning and recording with WMC and a Cisco TA?
  • How user friendly is using the HTPC vs a Cable Co DVR?
  • Learning curve for the household that is not tech savvy?
  • Is it possible to output to both integrated mobo HDMI and an S-Video card simultaneously? To transfer CopyOnce recordings to a DVD Recorder.
  • Software to output to S-Video Card in the background?

Equipment:
  • What is a good HTPC Case for the Ceton InfiniTV 4 which appears to overheat fairly easily. Prefer an AV style 15"-17" wide Case type.
  • Is a Sandy Bridge i3 Build with 4GB Ram sufficient for the Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ SDV TA?

#253 ·
Has anybody here who

1) uses network tuning

2) Ceton InfiniTV4

3) Kaspersky AV

noticed that it breaks network access? I just had to re-image my Windows 7 SSD (thank goodness for a software install strategy with periodic backups!) to recover from installing Kaspersky AV. Funny thing is, it was on the HTPC previous to the Ceton install. But when I recently reinstalled I put Ceton in before Kaspersky. Broke the network connection.

I guess I could try again, with a good disk image at the ready. Kind of a PITA. Anybody else have this experience?

#254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed /forum/post/20621561

Has anybody here who

1) uses network tuning

2) Ceton InfiniTV4

3) Kaspersky AV

noticed that it breaks network access? I just had to re-image my Windows 7 SSD (thank goodness for a software install strategy with periodic backups!) to recover from installing Kaspersky AV. Funny thing is, it was on the HTPC previous to the Ceton install. But when I recently reinstalled I put Ceton in before Kaspersky. Broke the network connection.

I guess I could try again, with a good disk image at the ready. Kind of a PITA. Anybody else have this experience?

AV programs such as Kaspersky and McAfee are known not good friends of Ceton. I've been advised not to install them and since then I did not use this box to download and surf the web. I use a different box download any needed programs and make sure it is 100% clean/safe before I move it to this HTPC.

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/20621750

AV programs such as Kaspersky and McAfee are known not good friends of Ceton. I've been advised not to install them and since then I did not use this box to download and surf the web. I use a different box download any needed programs and make sure it is 100% clean/safe before I move it to this HTPC.

That is a whole other philosophical argument, and I have already taken the other position (RAID6 with 18 TB, video card with games, sound card for stereo, etc). It has worked out pretty well, but I have learned to keep backup images of the OS drive in case a bad bit of software tries to bork things. I have two PCs in the house (three if you count my internet phone Asterisk PBX, but it is an Atom), don't really want to add more.

Any recommends for Ceton-friendly AV? I've heard good things about NOD32.

#256 ·
You guys are awesome! I got it installed this past Saturday. I had a problem where I wasn't getting all 4 tuners from the card and channels were coming in and out. It wasn't showing up at all. Then I found out that I was receiving a low signal from Comcast. They fixed it on the splitter end. But Comcast knows nothing about the tuner, so DON't ASK! I also had to reinstall the drivers for the card to work again because it was freezing in WMC Also its very easy to put the card in the wrong way.

And this card does indeed let you watch 3d TV.

I do have 1 question, I know its meant to work with Media Center, but i'm a XBMC guy. Is there any way to make this work with all of the features of Windows Media Center?

#257 ·
I get an occasional skip, like every few seconds, when watching TV on the ceton card. Video is generally smooth, and the skip is hardly noticeable. Sometimes it seems consistent every few seconds and sometimes it is complete random. Any clues as to what this could be?

Win 7x64

8gig ram

Core i5-2500

Amd 6670

Im running my htpc at 59.98Hz not 60.0Hz

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by loci03 /forum/post/20622691

I do have 1 question, I know its meant to work with Media Center, but i'm a XBMC guy. Is there any way to make this work with all of the features of Windows Media Center?

AFAIK, you cannot. It requires the protective encryption methods that 7MC provide...and right now only 7MC provides them.

#259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/20622924

I get an occasional skip, like every few seconds, when watching TV on the ceton card. Video is generally smooth, and the skip is hardly noticeable. Sometimes it seems consistent every few seconds and sometimes it is complete random. Any clues as to what this could be?

Win 7x64

8gig ram

Core i5-2500

Amd 6670

Im running my htpc at 59.98Hz not 60.0Hz

Most likely it's the 29/59 bug. I've also noticed consistent corruption on encrypted

channels. Hopefully a fix for both will surface some day.

#260 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97
Most likely it's the 29/59 bug. I've also noticed consistent corruption on encrypted

I get the same. I notice it but the wife doesn't so right now it's not a huge deal.

I have learned one thing after spending a week with the Infinitv...make sure to assign the Ceton an IP address yourself instead of letting the router do it for you.

#261 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA
I have learned one thing after spending a week with the Infinitv...make sure to assign the Ceton an IP address yourself instead of letting the router do it for you.
Do you mean assign a static IP to the PC itself (that the Ceton is in)? Or does the card actually get an IP somehow assigned to it? Other than that webpage which defaults to 192.168.200.1.

#262 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks
Do you mean assign a static IP to the PC itself (that the Ceton is in)? Or does the card actually get an IP somehow assigned to it? Other than that webpage which defaults to 192.168.200.1.
Assign a static IP to the card itself when doing tuner sharing.

I think old age may be getting to me. I used this guide to set up my tuners:

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/s...t-htpc-systems

I didn't even bother to read the top of the page that talked about the new guide and the Tuner Wizard software here:

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/c...s-multiple-pcs

Could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had read that.

#263 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97

I had only noticed this slightly in the past on some CBS and HBO shows we watch, but last night on the True Blood season opener it was almost unwatchable.

I hadn't heard specifically about 29/59 bug until googling the problem today, so I have some troubleshooting and verification to do first that I am in fact seeing the 29/59 bug. Does anyone who has dealt with it know the best/recommended settings to minimize the issue? I know disabling pretty much all "enhancements" in CCC is recommended, which I have done to no avail. I was wondering about the specific display setup within WMC where you can pick a resolution/refresh rate or let it detect automatically.

My system:

i3-540/h55

ATI 5670

Ceton

From the thread on the (former) greenbutton sounds like many people have this problem with the ATI 5xxx series cards, especially the 5670.

#264 ·
Has anyone looked into http://www.vidabox.com/

Its a full home automation. I think its a fail with everything going wireless, but they have the right idea if they target the right folks.

I'm looking for a cool media center remote (just like this) what do you guys use. or whats hot out there. I have a ipad and iphone.

so far i have the poor man way of having automation

TV- Samsung app

receiver- Denon app

XBMC- XBMC app

lights, power- Vivint app ( www.alarm.com )

Thats all for now.

#265 ·
Quote:
Personally, I do both. The mini-port bridge in network adapters should have the static IP address you want the host PC to have. Then you have to connect to through the web interface to to the ceton card to give it a static IP. Trick is, you'll need to know the address of the ceton to connect to, which will start out default at 192.168.200.1, but after WMC will likely be the first address in the DHCP range your router hands out. And you'll need to know this address to connect and set it static
. Unfortunately, WMC setup appears to cause it to default to DHCP so you have to change it back (ceton card) again.

Perhaps that is what the link at the missing remote refers to? I definitely prefer static IP, but the Ceton card and WMC are somewhat resistant to doing this, although it can be done.

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance /forum/post/20624611

Could some of the current Ceton InfiniTV users chime in on this? I was wondering what shows on Comcast have the flags turned on and the programs you have been unable to record. Also can you edit the recordings with editing software like VideoReDo?

Thanks,

Steve

From best of my knowledge, it really depending on where you are...all the paid channels contents should be flagged as "Protected Content" means you can't play from other PCs. But you should be able to record ALL of them.

#271 ·
I'd like to reiterate what others have found. This bug has nothing to do with the InfiniTV 4. It has to do with the properties of your video card. There are variety of fixes - all being specific to the Manufacturer and type of video card you have. Some cards are worse off than others. X-Box 360's seem to be unaffected, so if you have one and use it as an extender, this would be a good work around.

Google HBO 29/59 Bug and your video card - Good luck in finding a solution.

#273 ·
Quote:
That's probably solid thinking. If the Prime works as advertised with 3 dynamic tuners and there's no major WMC issues (big if), then it may be more useful than 4 static tuners depending on your setup.

I'm one of those struggling with getting consistent results from the Ceton Network Tuner Sharing. Well basically only have the issue of WMC losing the tuner and it not coming back without manual intervention. I've re-installed the drivers for the umpteenth time and double-ran the setup like someone suggested. So far so good for the last 36 hours. Even rebooted primary PC with the Ceton card to test whether or not it would come back. It worked, so I'm very cautiously hopeful I'm past that issue.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Ceton and have no regrets jumping on the lower price and canceling my Prime pre-order. Will be interested in seeing how well the Prime operates when it comes out though.
I have a Ceton that I'm tuner sharing on one HTPC (bedroom) to another (living room). I love the way it works but will switch to HD Homerun Prime for a few reasons:

1 - Network tuning has been very reliable, but I did have one crash on the main box hosting the Ceton. I only knew because when I tried to watch TV on the network tuned box, TV failed. I kind of don't like the concept that if the Ceton host is either powered down, asleep or crashed, then the other TV wont work. The HD Homerun wont have this problem (assuming their device firmware doesn't crash).

2 - Its not a big deal, but I do feel static tuner assignment is limiting. I have three additional laptops I use from time to time, and have company that bring their laptops over, and it would be really cool to just run WMC and tune into a TV channel over wifi and watch TV. Can't do that with the static assignment.

3 - Not having to use a ceton clears out all my PCI slots, which allows me to build a box with smaller form factor some day.

4 - I think overall setup will be easier on HD homerun since its uniform on all PCs I wish to use tuners with. HTPCs are filled with quirks and I like to standardize everything as much as possible, so all my boxes will be clients as opposed to one host / one client with different setups.

Just my .02 on the pro/con list.

#274 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc
2 - Its not a big deal, but I do feel static tuner assignment is limiting. I have three additional laptops I use from time to time, and have company that bring their laptops over, and it would be really cool to just run WMC and tune into a TV channel over wifi and watch TV. Can't do that with the static assignment.

4 - I think overall setup will be easier on HD homerun since its uniform on all PCs I wish to use tuners with. HTPCs are filled with quirks and I like to standardize everything as much as possible, so all my boxes will be clients as opposed to one host / one client with different setups.

Just my .02 on the pro/con list.
Sounds like a lot of assumptions on how well a unit not yet in production is going to work. Someone comes over with a laptop and watches TV over wifi 'without any setup'. Good luck with that

#275 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed
Sounds like a lot of assumptions on how well a unit not yet in production is going to work. Someone comes over with a laptop and watches TV over wifi 'without any setup'. Good luck with that
2 - The specs indicate the tuners are dynamically assigned. I think that is a reasonable assumption. I'm sure I'll have to run a client install, but that's fine and its pretty logical to assume that the client install will be the same for every WMC client. I know for a fact on Ceton to re-assign tuners I have to go to Ceton host, reconfigure, and then do more work on other clients.

4 - See above.

#276 ·
Quick question. I have a mini ATX board that I was going to use for an HTPC.

It only has 1 x16 pci-e slot.

Can I use this slot for the InfiniTV 4 or must I have a x1 slot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.