post #331 of 4776 Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

What are you guys recommending for the hardware setup for the Ceton?

I will be using this in my new HTPC build and there seems to be some confusion about what works best for enough processing power and video compatibility and quality.

I plan on using my HTPC for Live TV of course and Blu-Ray play back. I also plan on using 2 XBox360s as media extenders. I am interested in the best possible video quality and performance.

I have a G620 processor but understand that the Intel HD video has some issues with some playback and the quality is better on discrete graphics. I am also concerned that I don't have enough processing power out of the G620 to handle the Ceton and media extenders. I have a discrete GT 430 I can use if that will help the G620 or not.

Any 1155 i3, i5 or i7 with H67 or Z68 will work. Yes, some people have some problems with Intel integrated graphic. But since you've a GT 430 around, if I were you, I will try the above set up first and if it turns out any problems you can use your GT 430.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 4776 Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10

Ha! I have a Harmony One for my main setup, but can't justify it for the bedroom. I wonder if a usb IR repeater I have will worked plugged into the 360 to give me IR line of sight...

Worth a try I guess.
post #333 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 AM

I am hoping someone can help me narrow down a problem I am having: On some channels on my extender shortly after tuning the channel, I begin to lose frames and have increased pixelation. Usually at this time I get a notification of a network issue. However when I access the network tuning program I am told that my network is acceptable and while looking at the bar graph display, I never see anything except for full green bars.

I am thinking the problem may be associated with three possible areas: my network, my HTPC's resources, and my cable signal.

Network: HTPC Cat6 cable to gigabit switch conneted to extender with Cat5e cable.
Reasons I think it is network related: The network issue boxes shows up when the problem occurs, replacing an old networking cable with the newer one reduced the problem some, the problem occurs more with a second extender connected via a 100Mb router.
Reasons I dont think the network is the sole issue: gigabit switch w/Cat6 and 5e cables should be suffiient, the network tuning program never finds any problems, it seems to happen with specific channels

Signal: Cable passively split a few times to allow maintaining previous setup while working on the HTPC. Signal level typically ~ -15dB according the WMC. No tuning adapters currently b/c installer didn't bring any with them.
Reasons I think signal is related: The signal level is below what I typically see recommended, and it is channel specific.
Reasons I dont think signal is entire issue: There are no problems when watching directly on the HTPC

HTPC: E5200 Core 2 Duo with 2gb ram. W7 64bit.
Reasons I think this may be a factor: I am there between the minimum and recommended system stats. I have heard that with extenders, the RAM has an impact.
Reasons I dont think this is the problem: It is channel specific? (although if the channels have different bit rates this could be a factor).

Mainly I'm hoping to rule out the other possible issues before buying more RAM bc the computer is DDR2 and my next upgrade will be DDR3 so that RAM would not be able to be used.

Thanks for any help. Also, the tuning adapters come next Friday so if this is the issue let me know. I want to confirm this setup will meet WAF within the Ceton return timeframe.
post #334 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraysimpsons View Post

Signal: Cable passively split a few times to allow maintaining previous setup while working on the HTPC. Signal level typically ~ -15dB according the WMC. No tuning adapters currently b/c installer didn't bring any with them.
Reasons I think signal is related: The signal level is below what I typically see recommended, and it is channel specific.
Reasons I dont think signal is entire issue: There are no problems when watching directly on the HTPC.

I think the Ceton card is significantly less sensitive than, for example, a Comcast DVR. Perhaps it does not contain a preamp?

I strongly advise you only have one two-way (cablecard and modem only), or three-way (cablecard, modem, and legacy cable to rest of the house) splitter ahead of your cablecard and modem. These two devices needed minimal loss, and of course the cable modem sends upstream.

Your cableco is responsible for getting an adequate signal to your house, but it sounds like you may be ruining it with splitters.

Edit: might be good troubleshooting to disconnect the 100 Mb switch (or replace it with a decent gigabit unit) and see if it alleviates any problems.

Lifespeed
post #335 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #336 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I have been reading this thread with great interest....currently I have a Comcast HD box that they have given me 30 days to try to see if I like it. I have a few days left so if this Ceton card can indeed get the HD channels that the box does, then I may go ahead and return the Comcast box and get the Ceton (and asking about getting the CableCard).

It would be nice to have full HTPC WMC intergration to where I don't have to deal with the IR and all. The current price for the Ceton is $299 right now which is a good price but I will have to wait possibly a few weeks to get one. But I can go ahead and return the Comcast box and simply wait a bit.
post #337 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Everything was already connected such that the Ceton was fed from a three way splitter (modem, 'legacy cable setup' (with one further two way split), Ceton). I opened up the Ceton page at 192.168.200.1 and found that two tuners were at ~ -15dB and the other two were ~ -5dB.

I currently have one of these
Although not from that store.

It is a positive +15dB amp, would +10dB on the two higher tuners be too high after adding this device?
post #338 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Any 1155 i3, i5 or i7 with H67 or Z68 will work. Yes, some people have some problems with Intel integrated graphic. But since you've a GT 430 around, if I were you, I will try the above set up first and if it turns out any problems you can use your GT 430.

I have an i3 and use the iGPU without any difficulties. I have since moved on to a Nvidia first GT 430, then to GT545. My move to Nvidia was do to any issue with the 13 graphics and TV.. I moved to Nvidia to support madVR.

My i3 is a Clarkdsdale 2.93 with 4 gigs.. Intel board so Intel nic. Intel SSD I could run all 4 tuners without an issue. Comcast here sucks and I am not a big recording guy so I can tell you how it pulls hour after hour with all 4 tuners putting streams down on the drive but I am confident that Ceton and i3 would do it just fine if Comcast could provide a high grade enough signal to avoid signal issues.

I am seriously considering moving the Ceton off to a dedicates box. I share the tuners out anyway. But so far I can play a high bit rate BD in jRiver MC 16 using madVR while the tuners are busy doing there thing and never be aware of any loading or performance issues.

I may wait to see what Ivy Bridge options there are. I would like to leave the Ceton on 24 hours in a corner or closet somewhere. I don't see the advantage of having it hosted on my main HTPC.. I constantly am updating files on it. I have not broken live TV.. but the way I operate it is inevitable.. hence a dedicated host down the road, and one that uses as little resources as possible.

Just another blank signature.
post #339 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraysimpsons View Post

I am hoping someone can help me narrow down a problem I am having: On some channels on my extender shortly after tuning the channel, I begin to lose frames and have increased pixelation. Usually at this time I get a notification of a network issue. However when I access the network tuning program I am told that my network is acceptable and while looking at the bar graph display, I never see anything except for full green bars.

I am thinking the problem may be associated with three possible areas: my network, my HTPC's resources, and my cable signal.

Network: HTPC Cat6 cable to gigabit switch conneted to extender with Cat5e cable.
Reasons I think it is network related: The network issue boxes shows up when the problem occurs, replacing an old networking cable with the newer one reduced the problem some, the problem occurs more with a second extender connected via a 100Mb router.
Reasons I dont think the network is the sole issue: gigabit switch w/Cat6 and 5e cables should be suffiient, the network tuning program never finds any problems, it seems to happen with specific channels

Reasons I dont think signal is entire issue: There are no problems when watching directly on the HTPC

HTPC: E5200 Core 2 Duo with 2gb ram. W7 64bit.
Reasons I think this may be a factor: I am there between the minimum and recommended system stats. I have heard that with extenders, the RAM has an impact.
Reasons I dont think this is the problem: It is channel specific? (although if the channels have different bit rates this could be a factor).

Mainly I'm hoping to rule out the other possible issues before buying more RAM bc the computer is DDR2 and my next upgrade will be DDR3 so that RAM would not be able to be used.

Thanks for any help. Also, the tuning adapters come next Friday so if this is the issue let me know. I want to confirm this setup will meet WAF within the Ceton return timeframe.

how is the SNR? just having a high signal isn't the only thing.. it needs to be good as well as loud. What kind of nic is in the PC... intels are very good. Make sure the driver for the nic you have is the latest (generic advice I know).

Just another blank signature.
post #340 of 4776 Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks for some more ideas!

It seems to be working better today, I realized I had left a cable cord from the three way disconnected when I removed my HD Homerun. I fixed that up and it seemed to go very well but still with some issues. I have since inserted the amp mentioned above. I now have signal levels of -1.6 and up to ~8dB. My signal to noise levels are around 37 with 36.6 being the lowest.

I updated my NIC driver just in case. It is an Intel.

UPDATE: Spoke too soon, I'm still having stuttering issues on the extender (x280n). The network issue box still pops up when it occurs as well.
post #341 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
A quick question....will the Ceton card coexist peacefully with the hauppauge 1250? That should get me 5 tuners if it does.
post #342 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Liked: 14
Ive read a little about sharing the ceton tuner. Just want to make sure I understand correctly. Can I install this in my main HTPC and use it from a different HTPC on my network?
post #343 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbitt 1080P View Post

Ive read a little about sharing the ceton tuner. Just want to make sure I understand correctly. Can I install this in my main HTPC and use it from a different HTPC on my network?

Yup.
post #344 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Yup.

Thanks.

So the HD HR prime really doesnt have any advantage over the ceton if I can share the ceton tuners?

Ive got 2 htpc's and am looking to get rid of the cable box and trying to decide on which one to get.
post #345 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks.

So the HD HR prime really doesnt have any advantage over the ceton if I can share the ceton tuners?

Ive got 2 htpc's and am looking to get rid of the cable box and trying to decide on which one to get.
Comparing the two the literal cost per tuner is slightly less for the Ceton but that has to be balanced against the cost of the PC to hold the Ceton, which in aggregate would likely make a networked Ceton slightly more expensive in use. Further, another difference is that Ceton tuners have to be statically assigned to client PCs versus the HD Homerun Prime that can assign tuners dynamically as required by clients.
post #346 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post
Comparing the two the literal cost per tuner is slightly less for the Ceton but that has to be balanced against the cost of the PC to hold the Ceton, which in aggregate would likely make a networked Ceton slightly more expensive in use. Further, another difference is that Ceton tuners have to be statically assigned to client PCs versus the HD Homerun Prime that can assign tuners dynamically as required by clients.
I think dynamic sharing is also a planned feature for ceton. I think I read somewhere that the beta version of the driver already has that feature implemented, but I might be wrong.
post #347 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

I dont understand the part about static and dynamic assigning. Do you have to tell the tuner that its using a specific tuner for a specif PC? If so does that mean its only avaiable for that PC?

I was hoping to have 4 tuners that can be used by whatever pc needs them at the time.
post #348 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I dont understand the part about static and dynamic assigning. Do you have to tell the tuner that its using a specific tuner for a specif PC? If so does that mean its only avaiable for that PC?

I was hoping to have 4 tuners that can be used by whatever pc needs them at the time.
From what I've read what you said in the first statement is correct for the Ceton at present. If you want dynamic allocation (your second statement) you'll need the HD Homerun Prime unless you want to wait for Ceton's implementation of dynamic sharing. There's no right or wrong about it but personally I like the the idea of static assignment better to ensure guests (my Mother would be a prime culprit ) don't task too many tuners from the pool.
post #349 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Finally had a Cox Cable technition come and "install" the cablecard into my HTPC (Ceton).

But he couldnt get it to pair. He tried 2 different cablecards with no luck.

Has anyone seen this issue before?
post #350 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

I had taken an M card out of my HD Tivo, and tried to pair that one to my Ceton, and it never worked, even with the technician there. (This is Verizon (Now Frontier) FiOS, not cable.) He said that it didn't work once they had been paired, then they only worked with that device, but personally I think that was just a bunch of hooey. Regardless, the new card that he brought with him did pair up, and seems to be working fine.

post #351 of 4776 Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyhard View Post

Finally had a Cox Cable technition come and "install" the cablecard into my HTPC (Ceton).

There are multiple posts in this thread had the same troubles and at the end after escalated to higher up it will solved the problems.
post #352 of 4776 Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:

From what I've read what you said in the first statement is correct for the Ceton at present. If you want dynamic allocation (your second statement) you'll need the HD Homerun Prime unless you want to wait for Ceton's implementation of dynamic sharing. There's no right or wrong about it but personally I like the the idea of static assignment better to ensure guests (my Mother would be a prime culprit ) don't task too many tuners from the pool.

I think the ceton will stil work fine for me. I only have 2 htpc and the mian one will have the card and host the tuners. I can tell one tuner to be used for the second htpc which would just be used for viewing. There will be no recording with the second htpc so it should never need more than 1 tuner. That would leave 3 for the main htpc which should be fine.

Thanks for the help.
post #353 of 4776 Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the ceton will stil work fine for me. I only have 2 htpc and the mian one will have the card and host the tuners. I can tell one tuner to be used for the second htpc which would just be used for viewing. There will be no recording with the second htpc so it should never need more than 1 tuner. That would leave 3 for the main htpc which should be fine.

Thanks for the help.
You're welcome.
post #354 of 4776 Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyhard View Post

My experience was even worse because Comcast technicians failed to bring M-cards at all not once, but twice!

In the first instance, once the tech realized that he-shock-needed a M-card (in spite of it being on his install order sheet) he was able to get one from another tech on the road. Unfortunately for me and him, the card was bad. This tech said I could exchange the bad one at a local service center which proved to be inaccurate so I ended up wasting time and gas in that fool's errand. When I explained all this to Comcast CS they scheduled a new install for the following day and and when the tech arrived, that's right, he didn't bring a card either! Thus he did the same thing as his predecessor and got a card from another installer in the field. Fortunately that card worked. I Asked both techs if they received any formal training on M-cards and they said no. They did receive high-level orientation on the function of the card but no installation or configuration training. I warned them both, plus Comcast via their automated installation feedback call system that they should expect to see more demand for M-card installations in PCs going forward but I'm not holding my breath that Comcast will improve their proficiency in the near-term, if ever. I suppose it will depend on the proliferation of PC-based tuners in the future.
post #355 of 4776 Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Just bought the Ceton from Amazon after canceling the prime3 from Newegg. After tax and shipping, the prime3 is almost the same price as the Ceton, sans 1 tuner. Although dynamic tuner sharing is a nice feature, I only have 3 PCs in the house so static tuning will work just fine.

I have couple questions regarding the adapter...
1) I will be installing the adapter into a Dell PE 2900 running Server 2008 R2. Any outstanding issues with R2?
2) Is the network tuning pretty reliable now with the latest drivers?
3) Can you stream reliably over wireless-G? or is N required?
4) For SoCal Time Warner users, will I need to get 2 tuning adapters from Time Warner?

Thanks

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #356 of 4776 Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Liked: 147
AFAIK, it only works in Win7. I am not sure in Server 2008 has the needed components Win7 has.

Quote:

The recommended minimum system requirements for the Ceton InfiniTV 4 are:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate
2.0 GHz dual-core or faster CPU minimum, either 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64) - 2.7 GHz or faster CPU is recommended
3 GB of RAM minimum - 4 GB or more is recommended
1 PCIe slot, which can be either an x1, x4, x8, or x16 type slot
HDCP compliant on-board graphics or graphics card
HDMI out, or DVI out with separate audio out
Multi-Stream CableCARD (M-Card) - available from your local cable provider
Digital cable subscription from a U.S. cable provider

http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php
post #357 of 4776 Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

My Ceton is in a server 2008 R2 machine and has never worked better. The only thing that can be a hassle is if I shut down or reboot the server while a client PC is up the shared tuners never(except 1 time) reconnect unless I reboot/suspend the client PC.

post #358 of 4776 Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

My Ceton is in a server 2008 R2 machine and has never worked better. The only thing that can be a hassle is if I shut down or reboot the server while a client PC is up the shared tuners never(except 1 time) reconnect unless I reboot/suspend the client PC.

I have mine set up the same way. I have two Ceton cards in the server.

I have tried all of the beta firmware and drivers.

Firmware 1.0.7.2 is working well for me. 1.0.6.1 did NOT. Before that, 1.0.3.4 worked fine too.

Also, the newest beta installer package, 1.2.0.5-20110624, does not work well. I get lots of SDV errors that I was never getting before. I have been sticking with 1.1.0.8-20110309, which works fine.

I have been using the Cetons in a network setup for several months now. It is not quite as reliable as having a regular cable set top box. My family has adjusted and a simple reboot usually fixes things. They like all the tuners and recording space though.

Affable Nitwit
post #359 of 4776 Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 AM

I have run into an issue that I am hoping for some help with on here.

I have a htpc running wmc7 with an ceton infinitv4 installed and I also have an xbox 360 in a different room being used as an extender. Everything works great for watching tv, etc.

My issue is the xbox 360 can not wake my htpc from sleep when the ceton card is installed. Here is what I have tested with the results:
  1. htpc with ceton card uninstalled = xbox wakes the htpc when xbox is powered on
  2. htpc with ceton card installed = xbox does not wake the htpc when powered on
  3. WOL magic packet sent from other application such as wolcmd has no problem waking up the htpc with ceton card installed and uninstalled
  4. I ran a packet sniffer on my network and the xbox is sending out the WOL packet(s) fine

Has anyone else had this issue? The nic in the htpc is a realtek pcie 10/100/1000 with the latest firmware/drivers, and works great, but the ceton card seems to effecting its wol capabilities when the ceton card is installed.

The wife is on me pretty hard about having to manually turn on the htpc down stairs when she wants to watch tv in the bedroom....
post #360 of 4776 Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickell View Post

Has anyone else had this issue? The nic in the htpc is a realtek pcie 10/100/1000 with the latest firmware/drivers, and works great, but the ceton card seems to effecting its wol capabilities when the ceton card is installed.

The ceton card does install a 'miniport bridge' device that bridges the NIC and Ceton card so they both have network access. Are you using a static IP for the Ceton host? If so, that was probably changed to DHCP when the Ceton installed. You could assign that static IP to the miniport bridge device to put things back the way they were.

I haven't played with extenders so can't help much there. I just know the network configuration has been altered in a way that is supposed to be transparent.

Lifespeed
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page