post #4321 of 4811 Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

This was my experience as well (re: sleep). I'd also suggest you setup an event to re-sync your clock at each wakeup to prevent clock drift.

MCstandby tool for better control of your systems sleep, like timers, inactivity, etc, and I second the clock sync task, for a reliable DVR, makes all the difference.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4811 Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used I belive it is called a atomic sync. I think its working, I download and then I spent only about 2 minutes on my CPU looking for it, but I couldn;t find it. i assume that it is there working in the background somewhere. Thoughts?

BTW when do CPU's time drift so much. If computers are supposed to be able to crunch millions of numbers in a split second, you'd think they could keep track of time.
post #4323 of 4811 Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

I used I belive it is called a atomic sync. I think its working, I download and then I spent only about 2 minutes on my CPU looking for it, but I couldn;t find it. i assume that it is there working in the background somewhere. Thoughts?

BTW when do CPU's time drift so much. If computers are supposed to be able to crunch millions of numbers in a split second, you'd think they could keep track of time.
You may find this link handy - it shows how to setup a scheduled task to ensure your PC's clock stays in sync. I believe I also posted a link to this earlier in the thread.
post #4324 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Speaking of clock synch and reliable DVR, do you all still use the WMC default guide? Is there a way to change to a better guide? For some reason I have started getting duplicates of new episodes of series linked shows, I suspect they are tag incorrectly in the guide...
post #4325 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3Pil0t View Post

Speaking of clock synch and reliable DVR, do you all still use the WMC default guide? Is there a way to change to a better guide? For some reason I have started getting duplicates of new episodes of series linked shows, I suspect they are tag incorrectly in the guide...
I only have problems with a few shows. For The Daily Show I had to modify the series settings to prevent it from recording each and every time it's on. I set it to Show Type - new, Channel - CCHD only, Airtime - around 11:00PM. Those settings have been working very well for that show.

I still haven't figured out how to set up NFL recordings. If different football games are on CBS and FOX at the same time, Media Center thinks it's the same program so it only records one of them.
post #4326 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I set it to Show Type - new, Channel - CCHD only, Airtime - around 11:00PM.

Lately, I have been having a lot more episodes of shows record then normal. I wanted to use your approach as that used to work well for me but most of the shows I have been having problems with are on syfy and the shows have previously aired an Canada (or UK but most UK ones are often "new" in North America) and are all marked as repeats even though its the premier here. (For some reason AMC, TNT, TBS, FX, and Syfy (and occasionally USA) are the ones I've been seeing this problem with lately where previous seasons I didn't have any problems... perhaps I just have too many shows now for it to keep track of).
post #4327 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

perhaps I just have too many shows now for it to keep track of
Maybe. I have nearly 5,000 events in my recorded tv history and 84 programs scheduled.

Does anyone know if the recording schedule is effected in any way when you clear the history?
post #4328 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 10
So I just got an InfiniTV 4 PCIe and started going through the complete installation guide. When I run the digital cable advisor, it fails on the video card. Apparently, the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro is not HDCP compliant. So now that I need to get another video card, my question is how much video card do I need? What difference would I see whether I put in a Radeon HD 5450 or a Nvidia GTX670?

Here is my current system that will be located in the basement and will be used with extenders(xbox360's) only on a wired GB network.

Dell OptiPlex 755 tower
Windows 7 x64
Dual core 3.0 GHz
8GB Ram
ATI Radeon 2400 Pro ---- fails Digital Cable Advisor
Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe
250 GB Samsung SSD
(2) 2TB HD RAID 1
post #4329 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobb2 View Post

So I just got an InfiniTV 4 PCIe and started going through the complete installation guide. When I run the digital cable advisor, it fails on the video card. Apparently, the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro is not HDCP compliant. So now that I need to get another video card, my question is how much video card do I need? What difference would I see whether I put in a Radeon HD 5450 or a Nvidia GTX670?

Here is my current system that will be located in the basement and will be used with extenders(xbox360's) only on a wired GB network.

Dell OptiPlex 755 tower
Windows 7 x64
Dual core 3.0 GHz
8GB Ram
Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe
250 GB Samsung SSD
(2) 2TB HD RAID 1

I'm not a tech guy and I could be off by a mile here, but I do not think your video card is the problem. I have no video card in my build. I rely soley on the On board graphics of my I3 3225 Ivy Bridge Processor and I my picture is perfect. This reminds me by the way for those of you out there who may be on the fence of which CPU to purchase or the picture quailty of a HTPC or the infinitv4, I'm here to say get off the fence and come on down. I own a Kuro and have Verizon Fios. I owned a set top box and I loved my picture. There is NO DISCERIBLE differnce between my old set up and my new one.
post #4330 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Yeah, I do plan on going the i3 Ivy Bridge route later this year, but for now I was just looking to reuse my old desktop that's just sitting there collecting dust. Other than the video card not being HDCP compliant(which is one of the minimum requirements), this box is perfect for what I want.... a WMC DVR.

I just think that there can't be much of a video card needed since I'm not going to have it connected to a TV and won't be playing any games on it. The only reason I can think of for having a minimum requirement for the video card is to prevent unauthorized copying of content.

So, for now, I guess my question(s) is this. Is there a way to get around digital cable advisor? Such as install my GTX670 from my main desktop temporarily into this "htpc", run the digital cable advisor so it passes and installs the rest of the software, then when the setup is complete, put back in the HD 2400 Pro? Would that work? Or do I need to pick up a $20 or $30 video card that supports HDCP?
post #4331 of 4811 Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Dell OptiPlex 755 tower
Windows 7 x64
Dual core 3.0 GHz
8GB Ram
Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe
250 GB Samsung SSD
(2) 2TB HD RAID 1

Before you do anything download one of the BD Advsiors (google BD Advisor) - that tool will tell you EXACTLY what the issue is. The 2400 should be HDCP compliant per the specs.
post #4332 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not a tech guy and I could be off by a mile here, but I do not think your video card is the problem. I have no video card in my build. I rely soley on the On board graphics of my I3 3225 Ivy Bridge Processor and I my picture is perfect. This reminds me by the way for those of you out there who may be on the fence of which CPU to purchase or the picture quailty of a HTPC or the infinitv4, I'm here to say get off the fence and come on down. I own a Kuro and have Verizon Fios. I owned a set top box and I loved my picture. There is NO DISCERIBLE differnce between my old set up and my new one.

The GPU performance of your Ivy bridge far exceeds the capabilities of the Radeon HD 2400, it also has the latest HDMi spec's, 1.4a for 3D video, but as another poster mentioned, Radeon HD 2400 is listed as HDCP Compliant, might have something to do with the dual link, and if he's running dual monitors, I've seen post were dual monitors tend to cause issues, anyway.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-2000/hd-2400/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-2400-gpu-specs.aspx

Question, on the ivy bridge, have you run in to any issues with the notorious 29/59 bug? Haven't heard much about it lately, the typical channels in question, depending on your provider are CBS, AMC, TNT, HBO, Showtime, to name a few. I've been running both a GT430 and using the integrated graphics on an older I3-550 which both are able to cope with the frame switching, but some radeons, sandybridge processors, were not so lucky.

I'm looking for my next build, and I believe the Intel NGC is the perfect hardware setup, I just don't know if it will deal with the 29/59 bug.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102002

post #4333 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM

What is the bug? I haven't heard about it what does it do? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary well view TV
post #4334 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is the bug? I haven't heard about it what does it do? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary well view TV

I've only noticed it on recorded tv and not live tv, HBO is particularly bad. It causes hitching as the graphics card switches from interlaced to progressive mode back and forth at a very high rate. On my hd5570 the switching would occasionally cause MCE to crash so i had to switch over to a GT 430 which has so far dealt with the switching better and has not crashed on me in my small amount of testing.
post #4335 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your lucky that you have to ask the question, so that's a good sign for the Ivy bridge, who's your provider?

You can find more info here on the 29/59 frame rate.

http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/71.aspx
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/87594.aspx?PageIndex=1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140

post #4336 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My i5-650 onboard graphics suffers the 29/59 bug badly on my premium channels (HBO/Max via FiOS) with both live and recorded tv. It looked like the playback was pausing for a split second, every one or two seconds. It gave me a headache when I tried to watch those channels. I followed the advice given here and installed a GT430. Problem solved.
post #4337 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Quote:

My i5-650 onboard graphics suffers the 29/59 bug badly on my premium channels (HBO/Max via FiOS) with both live and recorded tv. It looked like the playback was pausing for a split second, every one or two seconds. It gave me a headache when I tried to watch those channels. I followed the advice given here and installed a GT430. Problem solved.

That would be another reason why I don't see this either!

post #4338 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

Before you do anything download one of the BD Advsiors (google BD Advisor) - that tool will tell you EXACTLY what the issue is. The 2400 should be HDCP compliant per the specs.

The issue is more than just HDCP - there needs to be a whole protected display path. The Radeon HD 2400 is not supported - The oldest Radeon that is supported it either the 2600Pro or 2600XT - I forget.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #4339 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

The issue is more than just HDCP - there needs to be a whole protected display path. The Radeon HD 2400 is not supported - The oldest Radeon that is supported it either the 2600Pro or 2600XT - I forget.

The specs for the HD 2400 show it being HDCP compliant. Use the BD Advisor tool before doing anything else, it will tell you what part of the path is failing. I suddenly lost HDCP and the BD Advisor tool pointed to a specific driver that was causing the problem (installed by logmein).
post #4340 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The specs for the HD 2400 show it being HDCP compliant. Use the BD Advisor tool before doing anything else, it will tell you what part of the path is failing. I suddenly lost HDCP and the BD Advisor tool pointed to a specific driver that was causing the problem (installed by logmein).

More than just HDCP is required. A whole protected display path is required. I've personally been through this exact same scenario about 5 years ago (when that card was new). Someone on the MS OCUR team troubleshot this for me (when there was still an OCUR team and when I was at MS) and determined that the HD 2400 was a non-supported card. I believe the issue was that it did not support bus encryption.

The HD 2400 will not work. Period.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #4341 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the info on the BD advisor. I ran it and it told me my video card passed, but that my monitor was not HDCP compliant. So I hooked it up to one of my newer monitors and it passed. I was connected to the monitors with a DVI cable in case you were wondering.

I then ran the digital cable advisor again but the graphics still fails. The message is " We recommend that you update your video card to one that supports hardware acceleration". So I checked to see if hardware acceleration was enabled but the button is grayed out in display properties, troubleshooting tab. I'm using the driver from windows update. I tried using the dell driver but it wouldn't install. I also tried using the 13.1 drivers recommended from ATI but those blue screen during installation.

So according to a few posts above, sounds like the recommended card is a GT430? Any particular make/model/memory? I guess I have more reading to do tonight with this "29/59" bug.

Thanks for all the help, its very appreciated.
post #4342 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM

I use Fios.
post #4343 of 4811 Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So according to a few posts above, sounds like the recommended card is a GT430? Any particular make/model/memory?
I bought this one from Amazon. Newegg has the same one a bit cheaper. It's not the latest and greatest but it gets the job done.
post #4344 of 4811 Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info on the BD advisor. I ran it and it told me my video card passed, but that my monitor was not HDCP compliant. So I hooked it up to one of my newer monitors and it passed. I was connected to the monitors with a DVI cable in case you were wondering.

In my experience using the DVI cable and DVI connection is totally unacceptable for any type of software that requires a secure video path. This because it is digital without copy protection. VGA often works because it is analog and does not require copy protection.
post #4345 of 4811 Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's not true, DVI is certainly capable of copy protection. HDMI is basically an updated version of DVI with a newer, smaller connector.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #4346 of 4811 Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought this one from Amazon. Newegg has the same one a bit cheaper. It's not the latest and greatest but it gets the job done.

The NVidia GT 610/620 and 630 are rebrands of the GT430, where the actual performance of the GT 430 is somewhere between the 620 and 630, I've not seen any updates on these cards in regards to the 29/59 issue, and since there's no performance increase until you step up the GT640, I say stick the 430 and any brand should work. But you may have to play with the drivers, I think I'm up to versions 306.97, and they work fine, but not all drivers will yield the same results.

post #4347 of 4811 Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

That's not true, DVI is certainly capable of copy protection. HDMI is basically an updated version of DVI with a newer, smaller connector.

And it passes sound. DVI is capable of doing it, but it was never added to the spec.
post #4348 of 4811 Old 03-24-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
IIRC, HDCP was initially actually written for DVI wasn't it? I have passed audio thru DVI numerous times.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #4349 of 4811 Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

The NVidia GT 610/620 and 630 are rebrands of the GT430, where the actual performance of the GT 430 is somewhere between the 620 and 630, I've not seen any updates on these cards in regards to the 29/59 issue, and since there's no performance increase until you step up the GT640, I say stick the 430 and any brand should work. But you may have to play with the drivers, I think I'm up to versions 306.97, and they work fine, but not all drivers will yield the same results.

I have an EVGA GeForce GT 520 (Link), and was thinking about installing the Ceton InfiniTV4 in that machine. Would that model work?

Thanks.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4350 of 4811 Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 AM

Liked: 13
maybe someone can help me shed some light on what is going on here with my system. i'm running the pci-e version of the card everything has been pretty much flawless for the past 4 months or so. then out of no where on Thursday at 9 pm i had 4 shows to record, 3 of them started with out issue the 4th one had an error and it got recorded later that night because cable likes to replay everything. so i didn't think much of it. so i went to watch some live tv around 10 pm and only had 1 show recording which was the one that it missed earlier and when i tuned the channel it told me there was no tuner available but only one was in use. a reboot of the computer solved this and all was good. then it happened again last night this time it was three turners in use at one time and a show got an error and i couldn't watch live tv again.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page