Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 4811 Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

If you are REALLY only paying $10 per month for an HD DVR I would be shocked (and you should be happy). With 2 HD DVR's, my 'looking at my bill' math was WAY off with all of the hidden charges and fees. My bill dropped by about $45 per month when I switched from 2 HD-DVRS to a Ceton back in 2011, I was figuring on about $30 with the fees I could tell were on there. Since then, Comcast has raised them even higher and the savings is closer to $60-70 per month now. It all varies by company and by region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^

OP isn't giving us the whole story. Cox HD DVR is indeed $10, but you have to add another $8.50 for the DVR box itself and another $5 for whole home DVR service. So the minimum cost is $18.50 for one room, $27 for 2 rooms and $32 for 2 rooms with shared recordings.
I'm talking strictly about the "rental fee" or whatever they call it for the box itself (maybe it's even higher than that; I was just using $10 for the sake of example). Clearly there are other, hidden costs associated with the service as well, especially if you have multiple boxes/whole-home DVR service. Like I said, I'm perfectly happy with my Ceton and what I'm able to do with it above and beyond what the cable co box allows. I was just curious what other folks' feeling were on the cost comparison over time and how they felt it was worth it for them.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4811 Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

I'm talking strictly about the "rental fee" or whatever they call it for the box itself (maybe it's even higher than that; I was just using $10 for the sake of example). Clearly there are other, hidden costs associated with the service as well, especially if you have multiple boxes/whole-home DVR service. Like I said, I'm perfectly happy with my Ceton and what I'm able to do with it above and beyond what the cable co box allows. I was just curious what other folks' feeling were on the cost comparison over time and how they felt it was worth it for them.
But for a fair comparison you have to consider the cost of using cable company equipment and services versus HTPC. My point is the cost difference between using Ceton versus cable company isn't $10 anywhere, it's closer to $20 or $30, in your example.

Believe me, if I could get a decent cable DVR for $10, I would put my InfiniTV on ebay so fast it would make your head spin. But that's not a realistic option on any cable or satellite service I've every heard of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4413 of 4811 Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I haven't read all the other comments, but for me there are two points to make, 1)Real Savings, My second HD box with no DVR was $8.95 per month, and my DVR was $15.95, and that was the price in Aug 2011, so my total equipment rental was roughly $25 per month(excluding tax), or $300 per year. I rarely if ever used on demand, and never ordered pay per view. I had already invested in two HTPC's one in 2009 and second in 2010 for all my other media requirements, so that was a sunk cost. I was not an early adopter, but jumped in when I read an article talking about the price drop to $300, first time I had ever heard of the IFTV4, sounds good and I'd break even in roughly in a year, I've been going now since Late Aug of 2010, maybe September so roughly 17-18 months. Not only have I actually saved on my equipment rental, I have 2 additional tuners, plus I get a $2.50 credit on my bill for using my own equipment, you can say I've saved roughly $500 in rental fees, minus the cost of the tuner card, and I'm at a realized savings of $200, so now, I'm getting my money back on my HTPCs, Point 2) This is a hobby, started that way and will end that way, but knowing I don't have to pay Comcast for the perpetual rental fee of their equipment, freaking awesome, its my way of feeling like I'm sticking it back to Comcast.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #4414 of 4811 Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

What's up guys? I'm currently a DirecTV user and I'm quite sick and tired of paying an arm and a leg, I would be more comfortable with just an arm. lol. I have a total of 3 DVR's in the house currently: 1 in the den, 1 in the theater, and 1 in my master bedroom. I have no experience with TV tuners/extenders so I have been following these threads closely to learn as much as possible. My basic plan is to first switch from DirecTV to Comcast. I plan to install the TV tuner card into my existing HTPC in the theater. Then, I plan on buying a couple of used Xbox slims to act as extenders for the master bedroom and the den. (I have been following the ceton echo extender thread and it seems as if that device still has a lot of bugs that need to be fixed.) I have a couple of questions about my future setup: firstly, does this setup sound okay? Also, will I be able to record programs from the extenders or do all recording/program management activities have to be done from the HTPC?

Yep, as Ken mentioned, you can set recordings from the extenders, but the recordings will all take places on the the HTPC, think of your extenders as remote desktop connections. This is the best way to proceed if your starting from Scratch with a Single HTPC and extenders, this way you can get the most efficient use of all your INTV4 tuners.

post #4415 of 4811 Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm not trying to be a hater by any means (trust me--I love my iTV4), but it strikes me as strange that so many are talking about "getting the same thing we used to get for free" from the cable company. I don't know how other markets work, but my HD DVR from Cox was about $10 a month; the Ceton, purchased when it first came out, was $300 or $400. That's a lot of months of DVR rental right there, isn't it? Obviously, many features that the cable co's equipment lack are available, as well as the additional tuners and whatnot, but from a financial standpoint--at least in the short-term--it really doesn't seem like we're saving any money at all.

Just my .02; feel free to argue.
Our experience parallels those of the others who've already commented on this. Our cableco was charging $16/month for a single DVR. Then it went up to $17 (OK, it was $15.95 and then $16.95).

More recently, though, they've broken that "HD DVR Service" fee down into two parts, $8 for "DVR Service" and $9.95 for an "HD Technology Fee" (new total: $17.95/month). I supose that they could argue that now they're charging only $8 a month for the DVR. Still comes out to $96 a year. Meanwhile, the price of the InfiniTV4 has come down from $399 to $199, so (for people just now getting into this) depending on how you figure things the break-even point hasn't changed all that much.
post #4416 of 4811 Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

Yep, as Ken mentioned, you can set recordings from the extenders, but the recordings will all take places on the the HTPC, think of your extenders as remote desktop connections. This is the best way to proceed if your starting from Scratch with a Single HTPC and extenders, this way you can get the most efficient use of all your INTV4 tuners.

Thanks a lot Ken and Bailey,

Another question, I have noticed that some users dedicate one of the four tuners to a specific television....what is the purpose of doing this? I plan on having my four tuners together so that I can record any simultaneous four programs from either the extenders or the HTPC itself.

post #4417 of 4811 Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Thanks a lot Ken and Bailey,

Another question, I have noticed that some users dedicate one of the four tuners to a specific television....what is the purpose of doing this? I plan on having my four tuners together so that I can record any simultaneous four programs from either the extenders or the HTPC itself.

network tuners is used when you have multiple HTPC's sharing a single tuner, which is what I'm doing, I've dedicated two turners per HTPC, in your case when using extenders, you only have one HTPC, plus with extenders they are shared as required, this is about as close as your going to get to dynamic tuners with ceton, as I mentioned, using extenders is the most effective way to use your infinitv tuner.
What's the purpose of multiple HTPC's? Depends on your media requirements outside of live TV, but I started out using XBMC for my media collection early on, but after Ceton, I've gone with MCE, Mymovies, TMT 5 for DVD/BD playback, etc., If I would have started out with MCE and a ceton turner, I might have few extenders (Xboxes) in stead of a second HTPC.

post #4418 of 4811 Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm new to the htpc/cablecard setup. I've purchased most of the stuff necessary to replace my Verizon STB's. I just have a couple questions:

1. Is there anyway to to set reminders in WMC to tell you that a show is coming up soon, etc. similar to verizion fios?

2. As for saving electricity with using a sleep state with my main HTPC that will contain the ceton pcie card: say when the HTPC goes to sleep to save power, will the extender I use ( say the ceton one, or 360) on my one television wake up the main HTPC to see live TV, or must the HTPC be woken up manually?

3. I'm guessing this is the case, but will the extender use/see the plugins you use with WMC?
post #4419 of 4811 Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

1. There is no such thing in WMC. Maybe an add-on?

2. Echo and Xbox automatically wake HTPC.

3. Depends on the plugin. List yours and we will try to answer.
baphomet58 likes this.

post #4420 of 4811 Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. There is no such thing in WMC. Maybe an add-on?

You can see your up coming scheduled recordings if you go in to Recorded TV section, but is a manual process, you can check out the plug in "Recorded TV HD", maybe the developer could add that as a new feature.
Quote:

3. Depends on the plugin. List yours and we will try to answer.

Does the TMT plug in play through an extender?
baphomet58 likes this.

post #4421 of 4811 Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by baphomet58 View Post

1. Is there anyway to to set reminders in WMC to tell you that a show is coming up soon, etc. similar to verizion fios?
You can set up reminders at TitanTV. You can have the reminders sent to your mobile phone if you like.
baphomet58 likes this.
post #4422 of 4811 Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:

2. As for saving electricity with using a sleep state with my main HTPC that will contain the ceton pcie card: say when the HTPC goes to sleep to save power, will the extender I use ( say the ceton one, or 360) on my one television wake up the main HTPC to see live TV, or must the HTPC be woken up manually?
The extenders will wake up the computer when they attempt to connect; that's how I do it with my 360. The Ceton will also wake up your HTPC automatically 5-10 minutes before a scheduled recording.
Quote:
3. I'm guessing this is the case, but will the extender use/see the plugins you use with WMC?
Again, depends on the plugin. MyMovies works fine for me, but I don't recall if TMT works or not. Honestly, I don't watch that many non-Netflix/other streaming movies these days. I can check if you'd like to know though.
baphomet58 likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #4423 of 4811 Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

You can set up reminders at TitanTV. You can have the reminders sent to your mobile phone if you like.

There is also a MediaBrowser plugin called 'Upcoming TV' that might do what you want.

xnappo
baphomet58 likes this.
post #4424 of 4811 Old 04-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Hey guys, I'm new to the htpc/cablecard setup. I've purchased most of the stuff necessary to replace my Verizon STB's. I just have a couple questions:

I too recently switched from Fios to a HTPC DVR Combo. I am now saving about $40.00 a month on my bill. Your going to love it.

I’m curious as to your reminder feature in your post. I have had fios for about 4 years now and I can not recall using this option. Perhaps it is because normally if I see a show that I like I just automatically record the series or record that show. I’m sure there might be an advantage of doing this, but I don’t see it.
post #4425 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The extenders will wake up the computer when they attempt to connect; that's how I do it with my 360. The Ceton will also wake up your HTPC automatically 5-10 minutes before a scheduled recording.

I've tried this in the past and occasionally (more times than not when the family wants to use it), there was some kind of problem. First of all, when woken up, one has to wait for close to 5 minutes before the tuner can be used (around the same time it takes after a reboot). That was fine and everyone got used to it. The real problem was when the tuner give us errors like "not subscribed" or "signal too weak" and a few other ones. Their response was to always reboot the main PC and then have to wait again those 5 minutes. Very frustrating for them which equals stress for me. Our end solution was to just keep it on all the time and turn off at around 2am and turn back on at 5am.
post #4426 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading through this thread and figured that this might be a decent place to post.

I am having some difficulties with my CETON infinitv PCI-E card. It was working pretty well for the last couple week and then all the sudden yesterday it decided to have a bunch of problems with weak signal and then it said I needed a subscription or something.

Sooooooo...I figured that it is probably the cablecard because when I first started using the Infinitv the cable card had problems activating but it would allow me to watch TV so I was like whatever I am just going to say screw switching cablecard and activating. If it is working that is all that matters.

I don't know if something in Comcast's system sent a signal to not allow for the cablecard to work anymore or what.

I got a new cable card yesterday and put it in and they tried to send signals for it to work a bunch of times and couldn't get it to work. I reset the settings with the CETON diagnostics software and now the card will not show up at all. I have been moving it back in forth from PCIE ports in my HTPC and it showed up for a little wihle and while I was going through setup in windows media center it dropped or disappeared from the setup.

I decided to move the card into another computer to see if I would have any luck and haven't yet. I haven't swapped PCI - E slots yet in the 2nd computer but I am about to. I am just trying to figure out what to do to get it to show up. Will the card not show up if the cable signal to the card isn't good?

I have a Blinking blue light from from the Infinitv.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
post #4427 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Hey before anyone spends time solving my problem. I actually fixed the problem.

I ended up clearing the settings out again and I also swapped a few cables around.
post #4428 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbam View Post

Hey before anyone spends time solving my problem. I actually fixed the problem.

I ended up clearing the settings out again and I also swapped a few cables around.

Yep, the blinking blue light means, the tuner is not getting an IP or the softtware can' tlocate the cards IP, or something along those lines, Clear out the network settings, everything resets to the default, and your golden.

post #4429 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci View Post

I've tried this in the past and occasionally (more times than not when the family wants to use it), there was some kind of problem. First of all, when woken up, one has to wait for close to 5 minutes before the tuner can be used (around the same time it takes after a reboot). That was fine and everyone got used to it. The real problem was when the tuner give us errors like "not subscribed" or "signal too weak" and a few other ones. Their response was to always reboot the main PC and then have to wait again those 5 minutes. Very frustrating for them which equals stress for me. Our end solution was to just keep it on all the time and turn off at around 2am and turn back on at 5am.
I've seen plenty of posts about this in the past; I don't know what's different about my setup but I've never had these sorts of wake-up issues (I occasionally get a weak signal message, but that's due to my cabling/splitters). The HTPC wakes up and generally takes around a minute to do its thing grabbing the tuners and whatnot. What are/were you using for your machine's sleep/wake settings? Was it just the BIOS/Windows settings, or had you tried a third-party software like MCE Standby Tool?

post #4430 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I've seen plenty of posts about this in the past; I don't know what's different about my setup but I've never had these sorts of wake-up issues (I occasionally get a weak signal message, but that's due to my cabling/splitters). The HTPC wakes up and generally takes around a minute to do its thing grabbing the tuners and whatnot. What are/were you using for your machine's sleep/wake settings? Was it just the BIOS/Windows settings, or had you tried a third-party software like MCE Standby Tool?

Same here. I have a modern i5 system with a quality motherboard and have never had a single problem with sleep. Tuners are available pretty much as soon as the machine wakes up and I launch WMC. Takes no more than a minute from start-up of an extender (XBox) to watching TV on that extender when the PC was asleep when the XBox was turned on.
post #4431 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

Same here. I have a modern i5 system with a quality motherboard and have never had a single problem with sleep. Tuners are available pretty much as soon as the machine wakes up and I launch WMC. Takes no more than a minute from start-up of an extender (XBox) to watching TV on that extender when the PC was asleep when the XBox was turned on.

Dido for me. Now to be fair, I just added an Xbox 360 as an extender to my setup. It's only been running for about 3 days now but it is working perfectly. And I am using a wired internet connection using Netgears powerline adapter so it takes just about a minute for everything to load up. I wonder if the Original Poster was using a Wireless connection?

Lastly, I was rocking my head for 2 weeks trying to figure out the whole sleep wake thing for my PC. I was trying to download software and nothing seemed to work. Then I simply went into Windows, Power Management and set up my system to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity and my problem is solved. My CPU sleeps all the time and I am not wasting energy. I will stay this however, the CPU will not sleep if I keep the TV playing in Media Center, so all I need to do is make sure I close MC down first and then works as plan.

Best
post #4432 of 4811 Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 14
Does anyone have a link to a guide for setting up proper S3 sleep settings for WOL with Echo and InfiniTV4? I have been running 24/7 until now, and I think it's time to go green. No experience with different sleep levels at all...
post #4433 of 4811 Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

Our experience parallels those of the others who've already commented on this. Our cableco was charging $16/month for a single DVR. Then it went up to $17 (OK, it was $15.95 and then $16.95).

More recently, though, they've broken that "HD DVR Service" fee down into two parts, $8 for "DVR Service" and $9.95 for an "HD Technology Fee" (new total: $17.95/month). I supose that they could argue that now they're charging only $8 a month for the DVR. Still comes out to $96 a year. Meanwhile, the price of the InfiniTV4 has come down from $399 to $199, so (for people just now getting into this) depending on how you figure things the break-even point hasn't changed all that much.

My cable company does this too, and it ends up at over $20 month for one DVR, plus tax. I'm not worried about the money -- when I set up my HTPC, I just gave my boys the DVR for their room and they were thrilled. The whole reason I built an HTPC was because of the horribly limited recording space on the DVR. My wife and I have kind of difficult schedules, so we record a lot of TV -- both regular programs and movies. We couldn't fit very much on the DVR if we recorded in HD, so we had to record most everything in SD. We both finally got frustrated with having a nice big LED TV, but almost everything we got to watch was in SD, except for the times we were fortunate enough to catch something live (or at least in real time). I just finished filling up a 2TB drive with recorded programs -- all in HD -- so, since I had one of those Silverstone cases with the slide-in drive bays, I just slid another 2TB drive in, made a few changes to the settings, and 10 minutes later I was on my way to filling up that drive. I still have an empty drive bay, so I'll do it again if I have to. I'd never go back to a DVR with some ridiculously small hard drive. And there was no way to use an external drive on my DVR to expand recording space. I will have a minor glitch with something on the HTPC once in a while, but it is never as frustrating as having to watch everything in SD.
post #4434 of 4811 Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3Pil0t View Post

Does anyone have a link to a guide for setting up proper S3 sleep settings for WOL with Echo and InfiniTV4? I have been running 24/7 until now, and I think it's time to go green. No experience with different sleep levels at all...
Don't know of a guide. There really isn't much to it. I make sure sleep is enabled in my BIOS, then use MCE Standby Tool to pick S3+4 and then set my sleep time to 3 minutes or so. You have to make sure your IR dongle will wake your PC, so you may have to go into device manager and pick "allow this device to wake..." or something like that. Some cheaper Chinese dongles won't wake. Lastly, enable wake-on-LAN magic packet on your network card. Echo and Media Center will automatically wake your PC without any configuration.

post #4435 of 4811 Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Don't know of a guide. There really isn't much to it. I make sure sleep is enabled in my BIOS, then use MCE Standby Tool to pick S3+4 and then set my sleep time to 3 minutes or so. You have to make sure your IR dongle will wake your PC, so you may have to go into device manager and pick "allow this device to wake..." or something like that. Some cheaper Chinese dongles won't wake. Lastly, enable wake-on-LAN magic packet on your network card. Echo and Media Center will automatically wake your PC without any configuration.
Great. Thanks. Will try this and see how I go.
post #4436 of 4811 Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccordm View Post

My cable company does this too, and it ends up at over $20 month for one DVR, plus tax. I'm not worried about the money -- when I set up my HTPC, I just gave my boys the DVR for their room and they were thrilled. The whole reason I built an HTPC was because of the horribly limited recording space on the DVR. My wife and I have kind of difficult schedules, so we record a lot of TV -- both regular programs and movies. We couldn't fit very much on the DVR if we recorded in HD, so we had to record most everything in SD. We both finally got frustrated with having a nice big LED TV, but almost everything we got to watch was in SD, except for the times we were fortunate enough to catch something live (or at least in real time). I just finished filling up a 2TB drive with recorded programs -- all in HD -- so, since I had one of those Silverstone cases with the slide-in drive bays, I just slid another 2TB drive in, made a few changes to the settings, and 10 minutes later I was on my way to filling up that drive. I still have an empty drive bay, so I'll do it again if I have to. I'd never go back to a DVR with some ridiculously small hard drive. And there was no way to use an external drive on my DVR to expand recording space. I will have a minor glitch with something on the HTPC once in a while, but it is never as frustrating as having to watch everything in SD.

Oh yesss. At first we mainly wanted to save on the monthly DVR fees, but once we actually started using the HTPC the benefits in terms of flexibility and storage space came to the front. We knew about that of course, but the Ceton/WMC combo really highlighted those pluses. Now I can't remember the last time we recorded anything on SD. smile.gif

Very nice setup you have there BTW, with multiple 2TB drives. cool.gif
post #4437 of 4811 Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM

I don't bother to put my HTPC to sleep - too much of a risk and I do not want to lower the WAF. Just sitting there, idle, how much power does it really use? If we assume 60 watts, that is akin to leaving an outside security light bulb burning...
post #4438 of 4811 Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I don't bother to put my HTPC to sleep - too much of a risk and I do not want to lower the WAF. Just sitting there, idle, how much power does it really use? If we assume 60 watts, that is akin to leaving an outside security light bulb burning...

True. I am more thinking wear. I just replaced 2 HDD that had failed. I got a 2TB WD caviar black so hoping that they'll be reliable. In all fairness, the two 1TB seagate drives had been in the computer for a couple of years of 24/7/365 useage, so can't really complain.
post #4439 of 4811 Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 AM

No kidding, that is a good run for them - and it is time to increase their size anyway. smile.gif

I have all my HDDs set to power down when not in use for 15 minutes. My HDDs are used for the WMC recorded TV storage and for BR/DVD storage, so they are almost always powered down. The SSD does not power down, but it does not need to.
post #4440 of 4811 Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
A good compromise there is of course to set the HDDs to sleep.

xnappo
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page