Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 159 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread

Home Theater Computers

morganf's Avatar morganf
04:00 PM Liked: 16
post #4741 of 4827
04-04-2014 | Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post

... now they are down to asking me what color my neon light is at the rear of the runer (solid blue), so I think they are getting to the end of their idea rope.

Did Ceton actually use the words "neon light"? Because I'm pretty sure it is actually an LED.

sgbroimp's Avatar sgbroimp
10:36 AM Liked: 17
post #4742 of 4827
04-05-2014 | Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganf View Post

Did Ceton actually use the words "neon light"? Because I'm pretty sure it is actually an LED.

Yes, that was dumb of me! LED of course.
layziethug's Avatar layziethug
07:03 PM Liked: 10
post #4743 of 4827
04-14-2014 | Posts: 52
Are these signal values considered acceptable?

signal level: -4dbmv
signal to noise level: 36.2db
temperature: 49c

From what I read on this thread and ceton site I should be getting good picture quality but I am seeing a bunch of glitches.

Could my pcie device be defective?
09:57 AM Liked: 17
post #4744 of 4827
04-15-2014 | Posts: 782
Can you describe the kind of glitches?
07:48 PM Liked: 10
post #4745 of 4827
04-15-2014 | Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post

Can you describe the kind of glitches?

I am getting these values when I'm using a signal amplifier.

I am getting these values when I'm using a 2 port 12db TAP.
signal level: -12.6dbmv
signal to noise level: 34.1db

I don't think using a amplifier or not is the problem because I am getting the same behavior. Also I don't have problems with my local channels just the cable channels.
I have been using this pcie device for almost a year now without any problems.

I recorded two channels and used VLC to take snapshots of the glitches.
glitches.zip 360k .zip file

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached: glitches.zip (359.6 KB) 
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F
04:19 AM Liked: 278
post #4746 of 4827
04-16-2014 | Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by layziethug View Post

I am getting these values when I'm using a signal amplifier.

I am getting these values when I'm using a 2 port 12db TAP.
signal level: -12.6dbmv
signal to noise level: 34.1db

Have you checked the signal level of the tuner that is being used to play the channel while the glitches happen?
06:33 PM Liked: 10
post #4747 of 4827
04-16-2014 | Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Have you checked the signal level of the tuner that is being used to play the channel while the glitches happen?
The values I posted are for the tuner being used to play the channel. The glitches are not constant, it come and go.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F
04:59 AM Liked: 278
post #4748 of 4827
04-17-2014 | Posts: 1,976
That -12.6 signal level is weak so I'd stick with the amp. The amp will work best if it's located as close as possible to the beginning of the coax run. You want to boost the signal before it goes through any splitters or long cable runs.

I was getting glitches like that with my FiOS service. I added a MoCA filter and that helped but it didn't eliminate it. My WiFi modem/router was sitting right next to my PC. When I moved the router to a different room the glitches all but disappeared. Now I only get a brief stutter once every hour or so, but I also see that with my HDHomeRun and Hauppauge tuners so it's probably not a fault in the InfiniTV. I think my problem is in the Media Center PC.
06:40 PM Liked: 10
post #4749 of 4827
04-17-2014 | Posts: 52
Quote:

That -12.6 signal level is weak so I'd stick with the amp. The amp will work best if it's located as close as possible to the beginning of the coax run. You want to boost the signal before it goes through any splitters or long cable runs.

I was getting glitches like that with my FiOS service. I added a MoCA filter and that helped but it didn't eliminate it. My WiFi modem/router was sitting right next to my PC. When I moved the router to a different room the glitches all but disappeared. Now I only get a brief stutter once every hour or so, but I also see that with my HDHomeRun and Hauppauge tuners so it's probably not a fault in the InfiniTV. I think my problem is in the Media Center PC.

I have the amp right after the splitter to TV and cable modem. My amp has four ports, shoud I just be using that instead of splitter and amp? When I used the amp I get some glitches on my local channels but not as bad as the cable channels. My modem, router, splitters/amp is in one room and my HTPC is in another room with a switch next to it. There's about a 75 feet coax cable running from the splitter to my HTPC. I was thinking about trying the infinitv on another computer or changing my coax cable.

Thanks for the feedback.
09:46 PM Liked: 10
post #4750 of 4827
04-17-2014 | Posts: 52
I think the problem is the network. I was watching live TV and ran speedtest.net and the live TV completely stop until the speed test was finished. I was completely surprised on how this affected the infinitv. Each task was on a different computer.

When watching NBC and during download test I get no glitches, during upload test I get a bunch of glitches.

When watching SPIKETV I got a bunch of glitches during download/upload test.

Any suggestion how I can fix this? I have not changed my switch, router or modem recently.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F
03:56 AM Liked: 278
post #4751 of 4827
04-18-2014 | Posts: 1,976
I vaguely remember someone talking about how the network adapter and PCIe lanes are somehow connected but I don't know enough about it to give any advice. I'll leave that to someone who knows what they are talking about.
dbailey75's Avatar dbailey75
01:15 PM Liked: 39
post #4752 of 4827
04-18-2014 | Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by layziethug View Post

I think the problem is the network. I was watching live TV and ran speedtest.net and the live TV completely stop until the speed test was finished. I was completely surprised on how this affected the infinitv. Each task was on a different computer.

When watching NBC and during download test I get no glitches, during upload test I get a bunch of glitches.

When watching SPIKETV I got a bunch of glitches during download/upload test.

Any suggestion how I can fix this? I have not changed my switch, router or modem recently.

I agree, there's no way you can saturate a gig network (I assume your running a Gig network) running a speed test on your wan that may be 90Mb's/30Mb's as best. It's possible what you have uncovered is an issue on your network, bad cables, crappy cables, or old nic drivers. just something to think about. Maybe your PC is underpowered. IDK.
07:27 PM Liked: 10
post #4753 of 4827
04-18-2014 | Posts: 52
Yes, I'm on a Gig network and I'm getting 50down/10up from Comcast. I don't notice any problems with my internet and my PC is up to date. My HTPC is running on a core i3-3240 with 8gb and a gts 250.

Thanks for the feedback.
06:22 PM Liked: 10
post #4754 of 4827
04-19-2014 | Posts: 52
I think my problem is with the infinitv device or my cable signal. Most likely it is the infinitv device because I had a problem updating to the latest beta firmware and my HD cable box is working without any problems.

I performed these tests to try and locate the source of my problem:
  • I switched my cable modem and I still get the same problem.
  • I took my HTPC off the my network and I still get the same problem.
  • I disconnected my cable modem and used my router and/or switch and that solved my problem.

It looks like there's some interference when I use the internet and my infinitv is not getting a clean signal.

I should have ordered the infinitv 6 when it was on sale a couple of days ago so I can confirm my hypothesis.
jlobb2's Avatar jlobb2
08:37 PM Liked: 10
post #4755 of 4827
04-19-2014 | Posts: 58
Are you using an extender or are you watching off the htpc?

What kind of network card do you have? If you think its the network, then unplug your network cable. Does the problem still exist?

Are the glitches always in the same point of the program? Meaning, if you rewind 10-15 seconds and play back does the glitch occur in the same spot?

Have you tried putting the infinitv in a different slot?

What kind of antivirus program do you have? Did you disable scans of the RecordedTV folder?

What does your CPU, memory, network and disk usage look like in task manager during playback/recording?

I'm no pro, but I think it's your signal. If you have to amplify the signal coming in, then you're amplifying a bad/weak signal. I would try getting your provider to come and fix the signal coming in.
12:40 AM Liked: 10
post #4756 of 4827
04-20-2014 | Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobb2 View Post

Are you using an extender or are you watching off the htpc?

What kind of network card do you have? If you think its the network, then unplug your network cable. Does the problem still exist?

Are the glitches always in the same point of the program? Meaning, if you rewind 10-15 seconds and play back does the glitch occur in the same spot?

Have you tried putting the infinitv in a different slot?

What kind of antivirus program do you have? Did you disable scans of the RecordedTV folder?

What does your CPU, memory, network and disk usage look like in task manager during playback/recording?

I'm no pro, but I think it's your signal. If you have to amplify the signal coming in, then you're amplifying a bad/weak signal. I would try getting your provider to come and fix the signal coming in.
I'm watching live TV on my htpc and recordings has glitches at the same place.

I'm using a onboard realtek network card. Unplugging the network cable doesn't fix the problem unless I completely disconnect my modem. If I use only my router and/or switch I don't have any problems and my LAN still works. Therefore, I think there is a possibility that there some interference the inifinitv can't correct anymore because it is defective.

I want to try the infinitv on a different computer but I don't currently have access to a compatible computer. My main computer only have one pcie slot and the inifinitv is too long to fit because the memory release tabs blocks it from firmly be installed. My htpc only have one open pcie slot available but I can remove my discrete gpu and test again.

I'm using microsoft security esstentials and cpu/memory/network usage are within normal range.

The signal coming in could be a problem but my hd cable box is working fine.

It has been fine for almost a year and noticed these problems a few weeks ago.
jlobb2's Avatar jlobb2
01:25 AM Liked: 10
post #4757 of 4827
04-20-2014 | Posts: 58
My guess is that it's your signal coming in. Try disconnecting your cable modem and check signals on the ceton diag page. Then compare to when the cable modem is connected. There is also a modem config page that you can look at the signals on the cable modem to compare.

If you think the problem may be in your 75ft cable run, move your htpc over to your splitter and test recordings from there. Also, if you use your amp, I would probably use that without the splitter. Remember, every splitter you have takes away from the signal.

Anything could have happened a few weeks ago to cause the change. It's springtime and with the winter thaw and now animals running around and digging, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a cable run (whether hung or buried) to start going bad. Maybe a barrel connector outside of your house isn't waterproof anymore causing degradation.

I'd call Comcast and tell them your tv goes in and out occasionally and ask if they can send someone to check the signals.

One reason your hd cable box is working fine is probably because its a single tuner, not a dvr. The Ceton obviously has 4 tuners, but there is an internal splitter as well from what I've read. Thus the ceton is less tolerant of signal levels.
06:18 AM Liked: 17
post #4758 of 4827
04-20-2014 | Posts: 782
I am with jlobb2. Time to get Comast in. My street has had a history of ingress from water, construction, frost etc. It can be good today, crap tomorrow.
01:51 PM Liked: 10
post #4759 of 4827
04-20-2014 | Posts: 52
My tuner signal values are the same when my modem is disconnected.

I have a Motorola SB6121 modem and the SNR values are 36-37dB, downstream power 0-2dBmV, upstream power 51dBmV.

After doing more test when I'm using the amp my local channels are getting glitches during a download test unlike when I was using my splitter. During a upload test I noticed the tuner SNR value is ~30dB when using the amp or splitter and I get a bunch of glitches.
Maybe I have a cheap amp, got it from Fry's, any recommendations? Even though, I get a better signal with the amp compared to the splitter I get a better viewing experience on my local channels with the splitter.

Thanks for the feedback.
xnappo's Avatar xnappo
08:38 AM Liked: 50
post #4760 of 4827
04-23-2014 | Posts: 2,688
So TWC just did a massive channel update to my area, and zap2it is not up to date yet.

Can I manually change the channel number in the guide in the short-term to fix recordings?

xnappo
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
08:46 AM Liked: 435
post #4761 of 4827
04-23-2014 | Posts: 10,248
In my market, if I ran the setup again, I saw a new temporary lineup called Upgrade or something like that. Otherwise, manual ch number changes should work under Edit Channels.
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714
05:17 PM Liked: 16
post #4762 of 4827
05-06-2014 | Posts: 4,602
Man I am so fed up with this thing. Always no signal issues, have to reboot the htpc, had to redo the media center setup yesterday as it wasn't seeing any tuners. RMA'd like 3 times while it was under warranty.

My Prime upstairs is rock solid. But 3 tuners for the whole house is just not enough.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F
06:22 PM Liked: 278
post #4763 of 4827
05-06-2014 | Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

My Prime upstairs is rock solid. But 3 tuners for the whole house is just not enough.
To be fair my InfiniTV4 has been pretty good lately, but the Prime always works. Woot has the Prime on sale for $79.99 right now. Might be time to get another one.
08:02 PM Liked: 16
post #4764 of 4827
05-06-2014 | Posts: 4,602
Quote:

To be fair my InfiniTV4 has been pretty good lately, but the Prime always works. Woot has the Prime on sale for $79.99 right now. Might be time to get another one.
Yeah I would like to just get another one and ditch the ceton. Don't have cash right now, should just sell the ceton. $79 is a great deal.
captain_video's Avatar captain_video
05:29 AM Liked: 161
post #4765 of 4827
05-07-2014 | Posts: 3,659
I've got three InfiniTV 4's, an InfiniTV 6, and a SD HDHomeRun Prime. The Cetons have never skipped a beat, but the HDHR Prime used to give me the nasty "Tuner not available" message on a regular basis. I believe this was fixed with a later firmware release.
09:19 AM Liked: 16
post #4766 of 4827
05-07-2014 | Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I've got three InfiniTV 4's, an InfiniTV 6, and a SD HDHomeRun Prime. The Cetons have never skipped a beat, but the HDHR Prime used to give me the nasty "Tuner not available" message on a regular basis. I believe this was fixed with a later firmware release.
I had a Prime in the early days and it had the same issue. This one now I've had for like 4 months its never had an issue.

But I do get that problem with the ceton all the time. Very frustrating when it happens.

BTW, 21 tuners! Thats crazy!!
captain_video's Avatar captain_video
09:30 AM Liked: 161
post #4767 of 4827
05-07-2014 | Posts: 3,659
I don't have any of the InfiniTV 4's currently in service. I was running two of them in my main HTPC with the 3rd one in another build that never got put into service. I replaced the two 4's with an InfiniTV 6 in the main HTPC to eliminate the 2nd cablecard. The HDHR Prime is only used by other PCs on the network. I also have three Hauppauge 2250's in the primary HTPC and a HDHR Dual for the other networked PCs. The primary HTPC has access to six ATSC and six cablecard tuners, although I could easily add the HDHR tuners if I ever thought I'd need them.
dbailey75's Avatar dbailey75
07:48 PM Liked: 39
post #4768 of 4827
05-07-2014 | Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Yeah I would like to just get another one and ditch the ceton. Don't have cash right now, should just sell the ceton. $79 is a great deal.

I sold my PCI 4 on fleabay for $115, or there abouts back in Jan, should be enough to cover a new SDHDDRP.

But all kidding aside, Some folks just seem to have issues, no clue what the deal is, my PCI 4 was great, used it for 18 months or longer, I'm having a senior moment, and my 6 eth has been great, with the occasional power cycle, but 6 tuners with one cable card is about as good as it gets.
ThurstonX's Avatar ThurstonX
09:00 PM Liked: 10
post #4769 of 4827
05-07-2014 | Posts: 70
On the off chance, has anyone ever figured out a way to fix the PlayReady Update problem? I've just set up Network Tuners using a couple of TP-Link AV500 powerline adapters. That was the easy part, bridging the unused Ethernet port on the host PC, creating a separate LAN (10.0.0.0/24 vs. the Internet-connected 192.168.1.0/24 LAN), and setting the client's NIC to the 10... LAN. I can watch copy free channels no problem (I get the HDCP error, but changing the window size fixes that easily enough), but I cannot watch copy-protected channels (HBO, et al.). Everytime I tune to one, I'm prompted to update PlayReady, but it fails every time. I've gone through so many cockamamie procedures (from various forums, including one at Microsoft), and finally reinstalled Win7 (from scratch), and did Ceton's less-than-accurate version of the ones I'd tried before. No dice.

The host PC has no problems with premium channels. The one weird thing I discovered on the client PC was that by running Update PlayReady from within WMC, leaving that screen open (where it asks if you want to retry it after it's failed countless times), disabling the NIC used for network tuners, and finally retrying the update actually gets an "Update succeeded" message in WMC. If I reenable the NIC and try to tune to a premium channel (having never closed WMC), I get the "No tuners available/all tuners busy" message. Restarting WMC just gets me back to the, YOU MUST UPDATE PLAYREADY, SILLY PEASANT! tongue.gif message.

When I have time, I'm going to try to redo the network tuners bridge using the wifi NICs on the host and client PCs. I doubt that will help, but it's just a matter of finding a couple hours to waste in the attempt. I'd even be willing to pull the InfiniTV 4 from the host, install it in the client, and see if PlayReady is ready to play nice.

At least network tuners work, and the host PC (far more important) was not affected. If anyone has any better options, I'm game. For the record, I've tried all these:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/playready-update-unable-to-complete/c356d609-3707-40de-87d0-71cb1d39afb0

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3760

and all the alternatives mentioned in those threads.

TIA.
mo0sic's Avatar mo0sic
12:09 PM Liked: 15
post #4770 of 4827
05-31-2014 | Posts: 223
There is a new beta firmware that came up while I was in the ceton windows app. Has anyone tried it yet?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread