Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still having problems with my Ceton and WMC...It has never worked 100%

Is anyone aware of what "CP Auth" is? The diagnostic shows a red flag next to this.

I had a Cincinnati Bell Tech come out today, and not only had he never done a PC Cable Card tuner install before, he had never done a cable card install period. What gets me angry is, I already have a cable card, it worked "ok" in my Moxi DVR that I had purchased but occasionally displayed a "you do not subscribe to this channel" message.

Now it only works intermittently, and I'm not sure if it's the cable card, the Ceton, or WMC's problem?!?! The Cable Tech is coming back today with his supervisor in tow, hopefully we can get this thing 100% functional.

Also, Ceton has been less than ideal in responsiveness to me. Yes, they've RMA'd my card, but have provided little to no "technical support" to me thus far. Frustrating to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Liked: 11
Read through this whole thread, and I'd like to share my experience so far, as well as hopefully get some help with a couple issues.

I purchased the card about a month ago during Newegg's sale; I'd been waiting for a good deal like that to come around before jumping on it, so I was prety excited when it finally showed up. Installed it and ran through the entire setup prior to calling for the CC install. Scheduled the install with Cox, made sure that the tech was going to bring M-Cards (I specifically asked to make sure he brought more than 1). The phone rep was very helpful, sounded like he actually had a clue what I was talking about, which was a pleasant surprise.

The tech showed up, fiddled with my cable splitter and "nest" for a few minutes while I put the CC in the computer and booted it up. For some reason, my machine didn't want to boot into Windows at first, but as soon as I removed the CC and rebooted, it fired up just fine. Inserted the CC after Windows started and we were off to the races. Initial Ceton diagnostics showed no issues, and pairing seemed to go without a hitch. That is, until I was unable to tune any but one or two channels in MC. The tech called back, re-paired, and had them re-send an INIT (per the Ceton diagnostic). After that, everything seemed to be working. The tech noted that it might take a while before all the channels worked properly, but there were enough coming through as I flipped through that I was satisfied enough to send him on his way.

Fast forward to a couple days later, when I finally got around to doing some more in-depth testing. I've since discovered that I am unable to watch any of the "Copy-Once" channels on my HTPC. From what I have found by meticulously going through the Ceton web interface, these channels include my premiums (HBO & Starz and all their sub-channels, both HD and SD versions) and a block of SD channels (EWTN and a bunch of state/local public access channels; 13-23 here in RI). All of these channels are flagged as Copy-Once and give me the message "Copying Prohibited: The broadcaster prevents this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded." Mind you, this is happening on the very same computer in which the card is installed and being used. No network bridging or any of that is happening. In addition, I've checked and re-checked, and all of these channels are authorized and pass Ceton's permissions check. If I pull them up through my Xbox 360, I can watch every single one of them no problem. This leads me to believe it is likely a codec/DRM issue with my Windows install itself, as opposed to something on Cox's or the Ceton's end. If it helps, all of these channels have a signal right around -20dBmV, while all of my others are hovering in the -16dB range. All channels are showing an SNR of 30-35dB.

My other issue, which I am thinking is more of a hardware and/or codec issue is that I get minor-moderate video stuttering/jerkiness and audio sync issues on just about all of my HD channels. They also don't seem to look quite as good as they do on my STB or even on the 360 when it's being used as an extender. The SD channels look like crap anyhow, but the audio doesn't really seem to be an issue with them. I'm only confused by this because this same computer plays back Blu-Ray and HD-DVD rips (iso) and HD mkv's with no problems whatsoever. I do use the Shark codec pack, so that very well may have something to do with it.

I'm considering a fresh install just to see if any or all of these issues go away, but I'd love to hear if anyone has some other ideas before I go through all of that.

On the plus side of all of this, though, I have to admit that I'm quite pleased with the whole MC TV interface and how easy it was to get everything set up. Recording hasn't been an issue at all, and I was able to set up a batch file to automatically move my recordings from my OS drive to my RAID 5 array (all in the same machine) and that has been working flawlessly.

Hopefully this can all be sorted out with minimal troubles, and thank you all in advance for reading all this and for any help you might be able to provide!

system specs:
ASUS P5NSLI
Core 2 Duo E6600
6GB DDR2
GeForce 9500GT (via HDMI to TV)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS (via analog to Logitech Z5500)
Ceton FW 1.0.3.4
Win7 x64

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #453 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Liked: 148
Are you sure they are copy once and not copy never? Copy Once should allow for DVRing...which is its purpose. I have run into copy never once, an NFL game on High Def (the SD channel was not protected).
post #454 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
jreese831,

Can you elaborate what do you mean by "unable to watch any of the "Copy-Once" channels on my HTPC"?

It seems to me you have some codec problems, did you say you are using Shark codec with the same PC, right? Can you disable the Shark codec and see that helps or not?
post #455 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

@ jreese831

Can you watch these Copy-once streams w/ you xbox? I'm thinking you CC may not be paired properly (could be that your installer put a used or improperly prepared CC). I'm on FiOS and now of my CCs are paired at all and on the few times FiOS has something flagged as copy-once(so far it's been when they added a Disney channel and epix did it one day then went back to copy-freely) or when I've got the NFL bug(Ceton had an update for this) I was unable to watch live/recorded TV w/ the HTPC on the effected channel but my extender could.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #456 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 View Post

Fast forward to a couple days later, when I finally got around to doing some more in-depth testing. I've since discovered that I am unable to watch any of the "Copy-Once" channels on my HTPC. From what I have found by meticulously going through the Ceton web interface, these channels include my premiums (HBO & Starz and all their sub-channels, both HD and SD versions) and a block of SD channels (EWTN and a bunch of state/local public access channels; 13-23 here in RI). All of these channels are flagged as Copy-Once and give me the message "Copying Prohibited: The broadcaster prevents this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded." Mind you, this is happening on the very same computer in which the card is installed and being used. No network bridging or any of that is happening. In addition, I've checked and re-checked, and all of these channels are authorized and pass Ceton's permissions check. If I pull them up through my Xbox 360, I can watch every single one of them no problem. This leads me to believe it is likely a codec/DRM issue with my Windows install itself, as opposed to something on Cox's or the Ceton's end. If it helps, all of these channels have a signal right around -20dBmV, while all of my others are hovering in the -16dB range. All channels are showing an SNR of 30-35dB.

My other issue, which I am thinking is more of a hardware and/or codec issue is that I get minor-moderate video stuttering/jerkiness and audio sync issues on just about all of my HD channels. They also don't seem to look quite as good as they do on my STB or even on the 360 when it's being used as an extender. The SD channels look like crap anyhow, but the audio doesn't really seem to be an issue with them. I'm only confused by this because this same computer plays back Blu-Ray and HD-DVD rips (iso) and HD mkv's with no problems whatsoever. I do use the Shark codec pack, so that very well may have something to do with it.

I had your first issue about not being able to play copy protected channels. For me the issue was with some of my codec settings (Shark007). Not sure if you use Shark or anything else like that, but I believe I wasn't using the MS audio codec and it was breaking the DRM somehow. Whatever the cause may be, your issue here is most definitely with WMC playready DRM. Look there.

Ahh your 2nd issue about the slight stuttering. It sounds like you may be suffering the infamous 29/59 bug, which well everyone suffers but some graphics cards / chipsets deal with it better than others so that it is not noticeable. Google WMC 29/59 bug and you will find a massive thread on the former greenbutton.com forums about this issue which will give you an idea if that is the problem you're having.

Good luck!
post #457 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Are you sure they are copy once and not copy never? Copy Once should allow for DVRing...which is its purpose. I have run into copy never once, an NFL game on High Def (the SD channel was not protected).

Yes, I am quite sure they are Copy-Once. The Ceton web interface shows the following when I tune these particular channels: "Copy Control Information: 'One Copy' (0x02)." All other channels show "Copy Free (00)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

jreese831,

Can you elaborate what do you mean by "unable to watch any of the "Copy-Once" channels on my HTPC"?

It seems to me you have some codec problems, did you say you are using Shark codec with the same PC, right? Can you disable the Shark codec and see that helps or not?

I don't know how much more I can elaborate than what I posted above. When I select one of those channels in the guide, or manually enter the channel number, I get the "Copying Prohibited" message that I posted in my OP. That message never goes away and I am unable to view the channel. When I do the same on my Xbox, though, the channel comes on and I can watch it just like any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

@ jreese831

Can you watch these Copy-once streams w/ you xbox? I'm thinking you CC may not be paired properly (could be that your installer put a used or improperly prepared CC). I'm on FiOS and now of my CCs are paired at all and on the few times FiOS has something flagged as copy-once(so far it's been when they added a Disney channel and epix did it one day then went back to copy-freely) or when I've got the NFL bug(Ceton had an update for this) I was unable to watch live/recorded TV w/ the HTPC on the effected channel but my extender could.

They do work fine on the Xbox; I haven't yet tried calling Cox since I figured it was a problem on my end rather than theirs. Perhaps it would be worth giving them a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

I had your first issue about not being able to play copy protected channels. For me the issue was with some of my codec settings (Shark007). Not sure if you use Shark or anything else like that, but I believe I wasn't using the MS audio codec and it was breaking the DRM somehow. Whatever the cause may be, your issue here is most definitely with WMC playready DRM. Look there.

Ahh your 2nd issue about the slight stuttering. It sounds like you may be suffering the infamous 29/59 bug, which well everyone suffers but some graphics cards / chipsets deal with it better than others so that it is not noticeable. Google WMC 29/59 bug and you will find a massive thread on the former greenbutton.com forums about this issue which will give you an idea if that is the problem you're having.

Good luck!

I'll look into the 29/59 bug, and as hlkc also brought up the potential for an issue with the Shark codecs, I will look into disabling/uninstalling them and see if that makes any difference with either issue.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #458 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Yes, I am quite sure they are Copy-Once. The Ceton web interface shows the following when I tune these particular channels: "Copy Control Information: 'One Copy' (0x02)." All other channels show "Copy Free (00)."
Cannot get any more sure than that!

Wish I could help more, I am stumped.
post #459 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know how much more I can elaborate than what I posted above. When I select one of those channels in the guide, or manually enter the channel number, I get the "Copying Prohibited" message that I posted in my OP. That message never goes away and I am unable to view the channel. When I do the same on my Xbox, though, the channel comes on and I can watch it just like any other.
Wow this is crazy and sorry to hear that. Seriously I am not sure you can do much about this one.

Quote:
I'll look into the 29/59 bug, and as hlkc also brought up the potential for an issue with the Shark codecs, I will look into disabling/uninstalling them and see if that makes any difference with either issue.
Please try and before you test it out I always recommend anyone clone a test drive and use that as a testing in case anything goes south, you still have the original. But since you have more serious problem above, I guess it is not much harm you can done from this point.
post #460 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
You should only need 1 Motorola TA, the old one supported 4 streams and new ones would likely support 6 since next month they'll be required to do so(assuming TWC doesn't have an approved extension filed).
Thanks for the heads up, I've removed one of the tuning adapters which will save a bit on electricity costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
post #461 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
All of these channels are flagged as Copy-Once and give me the message "Copying Prohibited: The broadcaster prevents this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded." Mind you, this is happening on the very same computer in which the card is installed and being used. No network bridging or any of that is happening. In addition, I've checked and re-checked, and all of these channels are authorized and pass Ceton's permissions check. If I pull them up through my Xbox 360, I can watch every single one of them no problem. This leads me to believe it is likely a codec/DRM issue with my Windows install itself, as opposed to something on Cox's or the Ceton's end. If it helps, all of these channels have a signal right around -20dBmV, while all of my others are hovering in the -16dB range. All channels are showing an SNR of 30-35dB.
This is the same exact error message I have with one of my HTPCs. Some channels work and some do not. Seems like the premium channels are the ones being blocked. After much researching, it is related to a DRM issue. I've tried numerous fixes and workarounds that are supposed to fix this issue but to no avail. I did read one thread that reinstalling the OS is the definite way to fix this issue.

Quick question, have you changed hardware in this PC that you have the Ceton in previously? ie swapped motherboard, video cards, etc.?

My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [
]
post #462 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I had the copying prohibited issue once. It was due to some CODEC overriding the ones built in to WMC that broke the DRM chain. Try deleting ALL CODEC packs/splitters/etc from your machine.
post #463 of 4811 Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi All,
I'm another W7MC user with a Ceton InfiniTV 4.
My computer is based on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R running a Core 2 Quad Q9550s with 8 GB of RAM. a Western Digital 1 TB drive for software, music and photos and a 2TB Hitachi drive dedicated to video. My Videocard is a Radeon HD 5670 with 2 HDMI outputs.
All codecs are original loads or updated by Power DVD 8 Blu-Ray edition.

As far as the Ceton InfiniTV 4 goes I've gotten it to the point that it is functioning as it should be and as stable as on can expect from a HTPC based device. This is with Cox Phoenix as my provider and using to Cisco tuning adapters. I still see the flash of an occasional warning message but that is usually the tuning adapter catching up to what the cablecard has already begun to do. Otherwise I've notice if the computer is running a long time without a reboot and Cox sends a update down the line to the tuning adapters or carblecard tuning issues may appear on one occasion I had a service call sceduled with Cox and decided to to a hard boot (unplug the AC) on the tunng adapters.
This cleared the problem that the phone tech couldn't figure out.

This leads to another topic problem most tech whether on the phone or in the field are clueless about Cablecards. They were unaware that 2 Cisco tuning adapters were require for this card and their office is feeling their way in the dark when it comes to pairing the second adapter. If you have switched video content and the tech walks in the door with a single Cisco adapter send them looking for the second before they even start the install. If the bring a Motorola tuning adapter you are good to go once they figure it out.

I have one more tip for MC7 stability for everyone out there... If you allow the photo favorites screensaver to run on MC7 make sure that the folders containing the photos contain no other files but jpg files. Any other files may cause a lockup when the screensaver runs. This includes any thumbs.db files remove them all.

This last issue I seem to have is if I turn off my display(TV) the computer seems to turn off th HDMI signal to the display. When I turn the display back on it searches for a signal it can't find. If I have nothing running I can simply hit the sleep button puting the computer to sleep and when I hit it a second time to awaken it the display works. I believe I may even have a solution for this problem and in implimenting it may be able to bypass DRM also. I have a VideoHD VHD-H2YVs on order my thinking is to use the Radeon card's second output to the VHD-H2YVs this would be left on and keep the videocard awake. Have the Radeon outputs set to clone the VHD-H2YVs signal can be sent to a Hauppauge HD PVR. This in theory should allow me to play the videofile recorded off the Centon in mediacenter while re-recording them using the HD PVR and sans DRM.
post #464 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13 View Post

Still having problems with my Ceton and WMC...It has never worked 100%

Is anyone aware of what "CP Auth" is? The diagnostic shows a red flag next to this.

I had a Cincinnati Bell Tech come out today, and not only had he never done a PC Cable Card tuner install before, he had never done a cable card install period. What gets me angry is, I already have a cable card, it worked "ok" in my Moxi DVR that I had purchased but occasionally displayed a "you do not subscribe to this channel" message.

Now it only works intermittently, and I'm not sure if it's the cable card, the Ceton, or WMC's problem?!?! The Cable Tech is coming back today with his supervisor in tow, hopefully we can get this thing 100% functional.

Also, Ceton has been less than ideal in responsiveness to me. Yes, they've RMA'd my card, but have provided little to no "technical support" to me thus far. Frustrating to say the least.

If you already had the cable card paired with another device, that is your issue. Easier to just swap it out with a new one. Ceton sent me a replacement board that they had fully bench tested while troubleshooting my issues. It took 4 phone calls and about 3 hours of my time (36 hours of time from first call to problem resolution) to get Comcast to properly un-pair/re-pair the card to the new device. If the local office had been open when we started the process I could have swapped out the card and been up and running in about an hour. Only their engineers (that you and I can't talk to) are apparently able to do this, and if you get the India support line they can't do anything related to cable cards other than waste your time.

Not sure if I am just lucky of if they have a routing system, but it seems that first call = India. Second call = India. Third call = US. Fourth call = local office. Happened to me twice in the past month this way, but could have just been a fluke.
post #465 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

This is the same exact error message I have with one of my HTPCs. Some channels work and some do not. Seems like the premium channels are the ones being blocked. After much researching, it is related to a DRM issue. I've tried numerous fixes and workarounds that are supposed to fix this issue but to no avail. I did read one thread that reinstalling the OS is the definite way to fix this issue.

Quick question, have you changed hardware in this PC that you have the Ceton in previously? ie swapped motherboard, video cards, etc.?

No hardware has been changed since the Ceton install, but I initially ran the DCA some time ago, and there have definitely been some hardware swaps and additions since then. I put in a new video card, as well as a RAID card and NIC. I also had to replace my BIOS chip last year thanks to a failed upgrade (oops!). Not sure how finicky Windows is about that stuff if I hadn't been doing anything TV-related before, but perhaps that's got something to do with it.

I'm going to start with disabling and/or uninstalling the Shark packs today and see how that goes. Just as an aside with that, if they are in fact the problem, what, if anything do others use for hardware acceleration of MKV and other h.264/VC1 content? Is that stuff just built into Windows now? I honestly haven't had an install without some sort of codec pack or assistance in years so I don't even know what can be done without anymore.

post #466 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:

No hardware has been changed since the Ceton install, but I initially ran the DCA some time ago, and there have definitely been some hardware swaps and additions since then. I put in a new video card, as well as a RAID card and NIC. I also had to replace my BIOS chip last year thanks to a failed upgrade (oops!). Not sure how finicky Windows is about that stuff if I hadn't been doing anything TV-related before, but perhaps that's got something to do with it.

I'm going to start with disabling and/or uninstalling the Shark packs today and see how that goes. Just as an aside with that, if they are in fact the problem, what, if anything do others use for hardware acceleration of MKV and other h.264/VC1 content? Is that stuff just built into Windows now? I honestly haven't had an install without some sort of codec pack or assistance in years so I don't even know what can be done without anymore.

I still use the Shark007 codecs for WMC MKV playback in conjunction with encrypted digital TV. You should not need to completely remove the codec pack. The first thing to check is the SWAP tab (in the x64 shark settings) and make sure you are using default MS codec for all of those. I think Shark even puts in a note that says the following settings may break Live TV.

I had the audio checked in there to use ffdshow instead of MS for example, and that was causing the exact same issue you're having.

Of course if you can't find any one setting that is causing the issue, then sure uninstall them completely just to see if that fixes it.
post #467 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I still use the Shark007 codecs for WMC MKV playback in conjunction with encrypted digital TV. You should not need to completely remove the codec pack. The first thing to check is the SWAP tab (in the x64 shark settings) and make sure you are using default MS codec for all of those. I think Shark even puts in a note that says the following settings may break Live TV.

I had the audio checked in there to use ffdshow instead of MS for example, and that was causing the exact same issue you're having.

Of course if you can't find any one setting that is causing the issue, then sure uninstall them completely just to see if that fixes it.

Would you mind screen shotting your setting you use in conjuction with the InfiniTV and WMC in the Shark007 setting application? Thanks.
post #468 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13 View Post

Would you mind screen shotting your setting you use in conjuction with the InfiniTV and WMC in the Shark007 setting application? Thanks.

I would also appreciate that.

post #469 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Checking through most of my channel list in WMC and thankfully, most of them are Copy Free (00) so I am pretty much good to go. The only ones that are protected are the movie channels (Encore, Flix) which are 'One Copy' (02).

So I shouldn't have a problem archiving the copy free shows.
post #470 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
Checking through most of my channel list in WMC and thankfully, most of them are Copy Free (00) so I am pretty much good to go. The only ones that are protected are the movie channels (Encore, Flix) which are 'One Copy' (02).

So I shouldn't have a problem archiving the copy free shows.
You can archive the copy-once recordings as well, you just can't edit them or play them on anything other than the machine that made the recording or it's extenders.

post #471 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Liked: 19
$270 shipped from newegg right now

Its nice to have competition and options in this space, even though none of the others are actually shipping yet its driving the prices down.

2 port usb
3 port ethernet
4 port internal

mix and match!

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #472 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:

This completely took care of my problem! For whatever reason, I also had a couple boxes checked in the "Hacks" section of the SWAP tab. After clearing them all in both the 32- and 64-bit settings, I was able to view all of my channels without any issues. I'm glad it was such a simple solution...I was not looking forward to a major fix like a complete OS reinstall, though I may do that soon anyhow.

Despite that being taken care of, I am still having very noticeable audio sync problems on several channels. Is this also a symptom of this so-called 29/59 bug? From what I've read, that seems to be causing more video-related issues than anything else. This is just straight-up out of sync audio. The same channels on the STB do not exhibit this, so I would tend to rule out a provider/broadcaster issue.

post #473 of 4811 Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

If you already had the cable card paired with another device, that is your issue. Easier to just swap it out with a new one. Ceton sent me a replacement board that they had fully bench tested while troubleshooting my issues. It took 4 phone calls and about 3 hours of my time (36 hours of time from first call to problem resolution) to get Comcast to properly un-pair/re-pair the card to the new device. If the local office had been open when we started the process I could have swapped out the card and been up and running in about an hour. Only their engineers (that you and I can't talk to) are apparently able to do this, and if you get the India support line they can't do anything related to cable cards other than waste your time.

Not sure if I am just lucky of if they have a routing system, but it seems that first call = India. Second call = India. Third call = US. Fourth call = local office. Happened to me twice in the past month this way, but could have just been a fluke.

I have FIOS and currently have a cable card with my TIVO HD. I was going to just swap my card into the Ceton. Then call Verizon and get them to re-pair up my card. Am I going to run into problems doing this? Anyone here ever re- pair a card with FIOS?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #474 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

I have FIOS and currently have a cable card with my TIVO HD. I was going to just swap my card into the Ceton. Then call Verizon and get them to re-pair up my card. Am I going to run into problems doing this? Anyone here ever re- pair a card with FIOS?

I just did this exact same thing with no problem. I didn't even need to call Verizon to get it to work - I read somewhere that FIOS doesn't lock CCs to the device (or something to that effect), and it worked.
post #475 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

It depends on which FiOS market you're in. I can just swap/move my cards around as I please, but if you're in one of the markets that have updated to handle SA CC along w/ the Motorola at a min you'll have issue just because of copy protection flags.

post #476 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

It depends on which FiOS market you're in. I can just swap/move my cards around as I please, but if you're in one of the markets that have updated to handle SA CC along w/ the Motorola at a min you'll have issue just because of copy protection flags.

Is there a way through Ceton's diagnositic tools if I can tell whether my card is device locked or not? I have a card in a Ceton now, paired by Verizon FiOS (NYC Manhattan market), and am thinking of swapping to a diff device (from Ceton to HD Home Run Prime). That would be great if I could avoid another truck roll. I don't care if I lose any recordings in the process.
post #477 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post

Is there a way through Ceton's diagnositic tools if I can tell whether my card is device locked or not? I have a card in a Ceton now, paired by Verizon FiOS (NYC Manhattan market), and am thinking of swapping to a diff device (from Ceton to HD Home Run Prime). That would be great if I could avoid another truck roll. I don't care if I lose any recordings in the process.

Even if the card is paired, if you're on the original FiOS network you'll be able to move it w/o having it paired again and it will work fine as long as everything stays copy-freely. If you're on an updated network you should be able to have FiOS pair the card over the phone, in my experience the first person that you get on tech support probably won't be able to do it but will be able to get someone that does help them do it(most people tend to get better phone support from FiOS than other providers but it's not always the case), I've also found that calling after hours I've had better luck getting good tech support. If you have problems getting the card paired w/ the new device you can just put it back until you get someone that can to do it over the phone for you or worst case a truck roll.

post #478 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks. I have two Cetons, so I might swap it around just to see what kind of FIOS network I'm on and that will answer my question. I was never aware there was an "updated" type of FIOS network and generally assumed FIOS didn't pair devices ever.
post #479 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't think you can see that - it is tied to the device at the head end, not on your system.
post #480 of 4811 Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

You wouldn't lose recordings by doing this. Any copy once recordings are tied to the PC / OS install, not to the CableCard.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page