Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4801 of 4811 Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Why did you never mention the amp before? That's a very important detail. If you need an amp, you've got other problems upstream that need to be fixed.

Also, your TA is connected wrong (or have I mentioned that before).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4811 Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Mea culpa.

As it turns out, I made a last-chance move and went by the Cox service center to pick up an 'approved' splitter and installed it as you described, one output to the TA and the other to the Ceton. No change.

So, I sent a less-than-friendly email to Ceton Support per their most recent set of irrelevant directions (I did not have some of the apps they asked me to disable, and my power settings were already at their recommendations) and turned everything off.

Next time I powered up the HTPC -- the clouds parted. HD channels are solid, with only the rare stutter. I still get some buffer/pixel when recording one HD channel while watching another, but that may sort itself out too.

Thanks for pushing the splitter-based solution, that's the only thing I can point to as having worked since I made no other changes to the config. Now it's on to the remote settings and sleep mode when powering down the TV+AVR.

+1
post #4803 of 4811 Old 09-12-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A couple of days ago we went into Comcast's "Music Choice" channels for the first time in a while, and we noticed that the sound was dropping out for a second or two at least 2-3 times per minute. This happened on every music channel we tried; it was so annoying that we had to switch to a regular (video) channel.

Using Windows 7 Media Center and the InfiniTV 4, PCIe version. Is it possible that there is some processing issue that's affecting transmission of the sound from the Ceton to the TV? I checked two other TV sets that are connected to a Comcast DVR or set-top box, and they both sound fine, so I'm suspecting it's an issue related to the Ceton tuner.

TV and cable channels (i.e., ESPN, HBO, ABC) aren't affected by this issue.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Last edited by JorgeA; 09-12-2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: clarification
post #4804 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
A couple of days ago we went into Comcast's "Music Choice" channels for the first time in a while, and we noticed that the sound was dropping out for a second or two at least 2-3 times per minute. This happened on every music channel we tried; it was so annoying that we had to switch to a regular (video) channel.

Using Windows 7 Media Center and the InfiniTV 4, PCIe version. Is it possible that there is some processing issue that's affecting transmission of the sound from the Ceton to the TV? I checked two other TV sets that are connected to a Comcast DVR or set-top box, and they both sound fine, so I'm suspecting it's an issue related to the Ceton tuner.

Did you check the signal level and SNR for the music channels? Your signal level won't be the same across all channels.
post #4805 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Did you check the signal level and SNR for the music channels? Your signal level won't be the same across all channels.
Good news and bad news. The bad news is, I've been back and forth with Ceton over this issue for years. They finally came back and said it was a bug in WMC. They tested a Homerun Prime and had the same dropouts, so concluded it wasn't their fault. They said there was some bug in the way WMC demuxed QAM music channels (unlike regular channels, there are lots of music feeds in a single QAM channel). Being a WMC bug, this will never be fixed.

The good news is I've found a simple workaround. Tune in a music channel, press pause, count to 10, press play - voila, no more dropouts, steady as a rock. For some reason everything works out when playing back from the buffer.
post #4806 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm... That's interesting. I'm curious what the bug is. We use the InfinityTV PCIe with music channels all the time -- my wife and daughter use that as much as they use TV. I don't think I have ever noticed a dropout whenever I have listened to their music. Is this WMV bug specific to some cable provider? We have Cable One here.
post #4807 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccordm View Post
Hmmm... That's interesting. I'm curious what the bug is. We use the InfinityTV PCIe with music channels all the time -- my wife and daughter use that as much as they use TV. I don't think I have ever noticed a dropout whenever I have listened to their music. Is this WMV bug specific to some cable provider? We have Cable One here.
Don't know. Happens to me on Charter, on and off and with different music channels, with every tuner I've ever owned (5 different Cetons (PCIe and ETH), Silicon Dust and Hauppauge). Never had the issue on Charter boxes. I've gotten in the habit of using the pause trick.
post #4808 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 227
My FiOS music channels work just fine in WMC through my InfiniTV4 PCIe and HDHR Prime.
post #4809 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on Comcast in VA, so I thought I'd test a few of the music channels. I'm not hearing any dropouts.

My set up: cable from wall to splitter; splitter to +15dB signal booster, then straight into the PCI-e InfiniTV 4's dongle/mini-coax cable (other split to cable modem). I'm using the HTPC's onboard coax digital out (typical Realtek) to a digital audio switch (4 In, 1 Out), and finally Optical Out from the switch to an old Kenwood VR-6060 AVR. That's a lot of stuff in the chain, but no problems.

Could it be your AVR, if you have one? As a test, if possible, you could hook up a pair of self-powered PC speakers and make that device the HTPC's default audio device. Or use the TV's speakers.

Maybe it's Comcast. In VA, Comcast bought Adelphia, which was a Scientific-Atlanta DVR area. I know Comcast butchered the software/firmware in the Sci-Atl DVRs to match their majority Motorola areas. That's merely to provide a possible point of reference. Maybe it doesn't matter in the end.
post #4810 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
My FiOS music channels work just fine in WMC through my InfiniTV4 PCIe and HDHR Prime.
My Charter music channels used to work fine too on those devices. They've changed something about the way the pack them, and WMC simply won't unpack them correctly anymore.

I don't think it's AVR related as I've tried every possible connection with the same results. Also happens on all extenders. That rules out hardware too.
post #4811 of 4811 Old 09-13-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Good news and bad news. The bad news is, I've been back and forth with Ceton over this issue for years. They finally came back and said it was a bug in WMC. They tested a Homerun Prime and had the same dropouts, so concluded it wasn't their fault. They said there was some bug in the way WMC demuxed QAM music channels (unlike regular channels, there are lots of music feeds in a single QAM channel). Being a WMC bug, this will never be fixed.

The good news is I've found a simple workaround. Tune in a music channel, press pause, count to 10, press play - voila, no more dropouts, steady as a rock. For some reason everything works out when playing back from the buffer.
I tried the tune-pause-wait-play trick, and it worked!

If it happens again, I'll escalate to checking the SNR.

Thanks for the tip.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page