Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #4861 of 4910 Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That happened to me once, had guide data for the local channels but nothing for the cable channels. I re-ran setup and changed my zip code to the next town over and that fixed it. I'd try one of the Smyrna or Kennesaw zips, whichever one is closest to you.
I tried this solution last, and I could not believe that changing the zip code worked, added the zip code that's right next to mine, and it seemed to work. I'll need to reconfirm tonight with the other HTPC's.
Ken.F and htpcforever like this.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4910 Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any way to get the second audio channel (SAP) to play with Infinitv-4 and WMC?

I've got WMC and three Xbox 360 Extenders. I went to Tasks, TV, Audio and selected 2nd audio program but it doesn't play.

I assume it is because it is a digital signal and not analog.... but I just want to confirm.

Is there *any* way to do it?
post #4863 of 4910 Old 03-07-2015, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Is there any way to get the second audio channel (SAP) to play with Infinitv-4 and WMC?

I've got WMC and three Xbox 360 Extenders. I went to Tasks, TV, Audio and selected 2nd audio program but it doesn't play.

I assume it is because it is a digital signal and not analog.... but I just want to confirm.

Is there *any* way to do it?
While watching a TV program press the left or right arrow on the remote and scroll through the choices. If there is a SAP available for that program there will be a "Language" section where you can choose between the available audio tracks. I've seen programs that gave me a choice of English or Spanish audio, and I've seen some with only the choice between two different English audio tracks. When you changed your settings it might be playing the second audio track but the program might only have different English audio tracks available.
post #4864 of 4910 Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
While watching a TV program press the left or right arrow on the remote and scroll through the choices. If there is a SAP available for that program there will be a "Language" section where you can choose between the available audio tracks. I've seen programs that gave me a choice of English or Spanish audio, and I've seen some with only the choice between two different English audio tracks. When you changed your settings it might be playing the second audio track but the program might only have different English audio tracks available.
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply....

I know 100% that there was an SAP for this program. MLS on Univision is now simulcasting English on the SAP channel for Friday night soccer.

However, even though I tried the left and right during the game, a language choice never came up. I ended up having to stream it on the Web and switched to the SAP in my browser.

In addition, I recorded the game and on playback there is no language option available.

Weird issue.....
post #4865 of 4910 Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In addition, I recorded the game and on playback there is no language option available.

Weird issue.....
That is weird. If you right click the file and choose Properties, then go to the Details tab, does the SAP value have a Yes?
post #4866 of 4910 Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
That is weird. If you right click the file and choose Properties, then go to the Details tab, does the SAP value have a Yes?
I didn't even know I could look at a file like that!

As my PC is hidden away in the basement and I use extenders to view, I've never examined the actual WTV file.

It shows NO SAP for that recording. But I found another file on my drive for Star Trek Insurrection off of HBO which DID have an SAP channel and it worked perfectly.

So.... either Univision messed up (which would be a big one considering that all during the broadcast they were flashing instructions on-screen to turn on SAP if you were English speaking) or Cox Cable, for whatever reason, is not passing along the SAP for that channel.

At least I know now it was not me setup.

Thanks!

EDIT: I was just on Cox's Facebook page and they acknowledge this was a problem last night.
htpcforever likes this.

Last edited by wazoo; 03-07-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #4867 of 4910 Old 03-07-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So.... either Univision messed up (which would be a big one considering that all during the broadcast they were flashing instructions on-screen to turn on SAP if you were English speaking) or Cox Cable, for whatever reason, is not passing along the SAP for that channel.

At least I know now it was not me setup.

Thanks!

EDIT: I was just on Cox's Facebook page and they acknowledge this was a problem last night.
At least you know everything is working correctly on your end. I'm glad you figured out what caused the problem.
post #4868 of 4910 Old 03-07-2015, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
From what I have seen, cox generally does not broadcast the secondary audio properly (or any descriptive audio except maybe for locals, but I'm sure it varies by market)... usually to get spanish one actually tunes the spanish channel #). The "only" thing I have really found the secondary audio working somewhat correctly with are the "zone" channels that put 6 screens up (such as 6 news, 6 sports, 6 kids)... I don't think all areas get this on the cablecard lineup as usually it is somewhat interactive with the STB) but WMC appears to limit my choices to the first 4 and I "need 6". It would also be nice if that channel wasn't protected and one could actually view it from something other than wmc easily... I'd love to make a little app to zoom in to each channel and select the proper audio... imagine recording 6 kids shows at once using 1 tuner and taking little drive space... My main system has 15 tuners available and I would still love to do that.
post #4869 of 4910 Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have had Verizon for the last 5 years with my Infinitv 4 and has worked great.

I just changed to Comcast on Friday. Everything originally appeared to be working fine but a problem started showing up. Sometimes when changing channels all I get is a black screen. Changing to a different channel sometimes works or has to be done several times before the black channel works. Once the channel comes in its fine, no drop outs and picture quality is great. Could this be a signal issue or cable card problem?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" Oppo 103D Player -- PS3 SACD Ripper
Marantz SR6009 AVR & Rogue Audio Atlas Tube Amp
- 3TB Network NAS Hi-res Music Server DSD capable
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center Axiom QS4 surrounds -- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER

Last edited by al210; 03-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #4870 of 4910 Old 03-09-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
I have had Verizon for the last 5 years with my Infinitv 4 and has worked great.

I just changed to Comcast on Friday. Everything originally appeared to be working fine but a problem started showing up. Sometimes when changing channels all I get is a black screen. Changing to a different channel sometimes works or has to be done several times before the black channel works. Once the channel comes in its fine, no drop outs and picture quality is great. Could this be a signal issue or cable card problem?
I also have Comcast and experience this from time to time. I don't know what the issue is. I guess I've just lived with it. Is it certain channels? I seem to experience this more with a few specific channels.
post #4871 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

I have found that if I hit STOP prior to changing channels, this occurs much less often. I am on TWC and have thought this to be an issue with SDV and the time necessary to acquire the requested channel exceeds some time limit. Although Comcast does not use SDV, it could still be a CableCard timing issue and not a Ceton problem.
post #4872 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 188
In case everyone has not noticed, there is a new beta firmware out on TheGreenButton.tv. It appears to be well liked by the group who have used it since January:\

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...hp?f=68&t=8352

One of the users posted "Amazingly after 47+ days, no reboot yet, might be luck or not, but this is the most stable experience with any eth6 firmware yet. Still leaking memory though, am now at 26.6/28MB, so waiting to see if it max's out and what happens then. But up til now I never made it much past 30 days without either needing to reboot, or having one happen spontaneously."

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.

Last edited by htpcforever; 03-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #4873 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
In case everyone has not noticed, there is a new beta firmware out on TheGreenButton.tv.
I'm going to wait it out. I've been bitten by Ceton beta firmware before.
post #4874 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I've been running it on and off since January. Overall a bit faster tuning, but still goes out to lunch sometimes on channel changes on my SDV system as has always been the case with Ceton. Only way around it is to get a Homerun Prime instead. I'm addicted to 6 tuners though. So I'll stick with Ceton and slow/inconsistent channel changes.

This firmware does fix an issue with legacy copy protection that may affect some users. And realize it's not beta, it's a beta candidate.
post #4875 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

If SD ever created a 6 tuner card (that was not actually two 3 tuners glued together), I would move to them in a heartbeat. Alas, they do not want that portion of the market.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #4876 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
If SD ever created a 6 tuner card (that was not actually two 3 tuners glued together), I would move to them in a heartbeat. Alas, they do not want that portion of the market.
They are supposedly working on a 6 tuner version of the HDHomeRun Prime that's supposed to ship sometime this year, but haven't made an official announcement yet. Obviously, consider it vaporware until it ships...

Having switched from 2 Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH's to 3 HDHomeRun Primes this past November, I don't really miss the 3 extra tuners and the extra $5 a month for the third CableCard has been well worth not putting up with failed recordings with the Ceton tuners. We haven't had a single failed recording since making the switch, while we usually had multiple failed recordings per week with the Ceton tuners. No more weekly (or more frequent) PC reboots and no more tuner reboots needed. If we really needed the full 12 tuners, the extra $10 per month would still be worth the improved result. After the 6 tuner model comes out, we'll probably switch to 2 of them and drop the 3rd CableCard once the feedback on them looks good.
post #4877 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
They actually announced the 6 tuner Prime at CES...2014 (for release in "early Q2 2014"), and it's still not out

http://www.missingremote.com/news/20...ondust-ces2014

Anyway, I'm getting solid results with the latest InfiniTV firmware as well, I haven't rebooted yet either (but it never seemed to reboot on me in the first place)
post #4878 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
They actually announced the 6 tuner Prime at CES...2014 (for release in "early Q2 2014"), and it's still not out

http://www.missingremote.com/news/20...ondust-ces2014
It was delayed due to a chipset company acquisition:

From this thread:

Quote:
MissingRemote finally tweeted a few things:and "finally"

6 tuner CableCARD coming from @HDHomeRun_US delayed by chip company acquisitions. Coming soon in #2015
But like I said, consider it vaporware until it ships.
post #4879 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Hmm did not see that, good to know thanks
post #4880 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

That is sweet - and with SD being in direct communications with MS about how important WMC is to them...well, MS will take THAT feedback far more seriously than our end user feedback. That alone gives me happy thoughts.

post #4881 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't help but notice on the latest response. It would appear that Ceton Brand isn't doing great so far? I'm looking to find a decent budget cableCARD tunder for my HTPC build. I have experience in building computer but no experience in making my entertainment system.
post #4882 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmcallister33 View Post
I'm looking to find a decent budget cableCARD tunder for my HTPC build.
HDHR Prime is on sale for $100 at Newegg right now.
post #4883 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 PM

Isn't that the device where you access to it via network map instead of direct connect to PC?
post #4884 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Isn't that the device where you access to it via network map instead of direct connect to PC?
Yes, HDHR Prime is connected to your router or switch, with your PC plugged into the same router or switch. The media center software obtains the channel feeds from it this way.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4885 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Yes, HDHR Prime is connected to your router or switch, with your PC plugged into the same router or switch. The media center software obtains the channel feeds from it this way.
You find it more conivent to use it than Ceton which is of course PCIe and a hassle to stream it over network?
post #4886 of 4910 Old 03-10-2015, 11:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
You find it more conivent to use it than Ceton which is of course PCIe and a hassle to stream it over network?
Doesn't have to be PCIe internal, if you don't want it.

If you want Ceton as a network-based tuner, they make that 6-tuner Ethernet product too. Tuners can be shared easily with multiple PC's on the network.
post #4887 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think network tuners are much better for HTPC builds, especially if you are using a small case. The Ceton PCIe internal tuners get very hot and require a good amount of airflow to keep from overheating. Getting the required airflow without excessive fan noise could be a challenge in a small crowded case. Having an internal tuner also means you will have a bulky coax cable hanging off the back of the HTPC. The less clutter back there the better. Network tuners can be stashed away anywhere that has a power outlet, a network drop and a coax feed.
post #4888 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I think network tuners are much better for HTPC builds, especially if you are using a small case. The Ceton PCIe internal tuners get very hot and require a good amount of airflow to keep from overheating. Getting the required airflow without excessive fan noise could be a challenge in a small crowded case. Having an internal tuner also means you will have a bulky coax cable hanging off the back of the HTPC. The less clutter back there the better. Network tuners can be stashed away anywhere that has a power outlet, a network drop and a coax feed.
Agreed.

Anyone buying Ceton's InfiniTV 6 ETH should keep in mind that they get very hot too. I had mine in a cool basement and had to setup some PC cooling fans to blow air over them to keep their temps reasonable. The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Primes run very cool, there's absolutely no need to have fans for them.
post #4889 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Anyone buying Ceton's InfiniTV 6 ETH should keep in mind that they get very hot too. I had mine in a cool basement and had to setup some PC cooling fans to blow air over them to keep their temps reasonable. The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Primes run very cool, there's absolutely no need to have fans for them.
I don't even know how to check the tuner temps on my HDHR units. They are always barely warm to the touch without any fans so I don't worry about them.

Check out the temps on my InfiniTV4 PCIe with all 4 tuners idle (attachment). 49°C is about 120°F. That might not sound very hot but it's installed in a roomy 4U server chassis with 8 cooling fans. When it was installed in my mid-tower desktop PC case it was always flirting with the 65°C (149°F) max limit. I can only imagine how high the temps would get crammed in a little case with poor cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceton temps.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	596721  
post #4890 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Doesn't have to be PCIe internal, if you don't want it.

If you want Ceton as a network-based tuner, they make that 6-tuner Ethernet product too. Tuners can be shared easily with multiple PC's on the network.
Quote:
That is actually what I was afraid of. In front of my mind, I'm happy with parts I picked out to order. BUT! In back of my mind, I'm a little concerned on how warm it may get that could either to breakdown or overheat shut down. That's what I been figuring out what's the best cableCARD tuner. PCIe? or Network tuner? I'm starting to think Network tuner is more FEASIBLE since I can stash it away and build 2 HTPC to receive it. As far performance wise, Doing this so may have to lead me to get new router (Can't remeber what I have right now at this moment will provide later) I'm planning to get me new router cable to Transfer Data up to 300mbps. Mine only does 150 at this moment. Just enough to get me web browser on tablet.) Speaking of thus, May I ask you guys what router do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page