Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 164 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #4891 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmcallister33 View Post
That is actually what I was afraid of. In front of my mind, I'm happy with parts I picked out to order. BUT! In back of my mind, I'm a little concerned on how warm it may get that could either to breakdown or overheat shut down. That's what I been figuring out what's the best cableCARD tuner. PCIe? or Network tuner? I'm starting to think Network tuner is more FEASIBLE since I can stash it away and build 2 HTPC to receive it. As far performance wise, Doing this so may have to lead me to get new router (Can't remeber what I have right now at this moment will provide later) I'm planning to get me new router cable to Transfer Data up to 300mbps. Mine only does 150 at this moment. Just enough to get me web browser on tablet.) Speaking of thus, May I ask you guys what router do you have?
You definitely need to beef up your routers/switches when you use network tuners. Any gigabit devices will work fine. My router is a $20 Trendnet I got on sale. Handles 6 recording streams and 6 extender streams simultaneously without breaking a sweat. Some spend hundreds on routers, but it's not necessary for normal HTPC purposes.

The 300/150 Mbps number you're thinking of now is for wifi, I believe. So that's not relevant. It's the hard-wired port speeds that are relevant. That needs to be 1Gbps, not just 100Mpbs or 10Mbps. If your wifi is 150, then you probably have 1Gbps port speeds already and have nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
You definitely need to beef up your routers/switches when you use network tuners. Any gigabit devices will work fine. My router is a $20 Trendnet I got on sale. Handles 6 recording streams and 6 extender streams simultaneously without breaking a sweat. Some spend hundreds on routers, but it's not necessary for normal HTPC purposes.

The 300/150 Mbps number you're thinking of now is for wifi, I believe. So that's not relevant. It's the hard-wired port speeds that are relevant. That needs to be 1Gbps, not just 100Mpbs or 10Mbps. If your wifi is 150, then you probably have 1Gbps port speeds already and have nothing to worry about.

Actually, that part I understand that network tuner will be hardwired. I'm referring to HTPC that would be on wifi. I read somewhere last year that wifi actually matters of what speed it can transfer. I seen those wifi adapter that can do 150mbps while router can output 300mbps and read that it makes a difference. That having a 300mbps adapter and router for wifi speed would help strengthen streaming process. Could they be wrong?
post #4893 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Actually, that part I understand that network tuner will be hardwired. I'm referring to HTPC that would be on wifi. I read somewhere last year that wifi actually matters of what speed it can transfer. I seen those wifi adapter that can do 150mbps while router can output 300mbps and read that it makes a difference. That having a 300mbps adapter and router for wifi speed would help strengthen streaming process. Could they be wrong?
Putting your PC on wifi is a terrible idea. Pull a cable or use powerline, Moca or Deca. A couple of streams will completely saturate wifi and won't be reliable. Some people have made it work, but not many.

EDIT: I see the warnings are starting to roll in. We speak from experience. Listen to us.

Last edited by mdavej; 03-11-2015 at 08:20 AM.
post #4894 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
It's not a good idea to rely on using WiFi for network tuners. If at all possible, get the HTPC hard wired to your router or use something like a power line network adapter.
post #4895 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It's not a good idea to rely on using WiFi for network tuners. If at all possible, get the HTPC hard wired to your router or use something like a power line network adapter.

Power line network adapter? That device continues to cause me to doubt it. Do I take it that you have tried it before or have it?
post #4896 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Power line network adapter? That device continues to cause me to doubt it. Do I take it that you have tried it before or have it?
No, I've never used one as I went to the trouble of running CAT6 cables to all rooms in the house that need them (in some cases multiple cables to a single room), but they're generally considered better than using WiFi as are Moca and Deca.
post #4897 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Power line is not ideal but still far better than wifi. Hardwired is best of course, followed by Moca/Deca, power line, then wifi a distant last. I have used power line in the past. Mine required monthly reboots, but the speed was good. My Deca, on the other hand, is 100% reliable. Wifi was totally useless. Wifi is fine for Netflix but can't usually handle TV unless the stars align.
post #4898 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Wifi might work.
Moca/Deca/Powerline should work
Cat5e/6 will work.

Wifi and video is a crapshoot.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.

Last edited by ajhieb; 03-11-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clarified for accuracy
post #4899 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Cat5/6 will work.
Personally, I don't think CAT5 is acceptable. Too slow, and with so many network tuners independently sending HD streams TO the router, and then FROM the router TO the HTPC, not to mention the other slew of HD streams from the HTPC TO the router and then FROM the router TO extenders/HDTVs around your house... well you get my point.

Honestly, if you want a reliable glitch-free problem-free setup and you're going to have at least six network-based tuners for recordings, while you're going to be independently watching previously made recordings on 2-5 HDTVs around your house... you've got to build a CAT6 gigabit-router network.

Ethernet-over-powerline approaches are commonly limited to 100Mbps, as are ethernet-over-coax. These are the usual substitutes for true ethernet cable home networks where you can't or haven't run ethernet cable through walls or ceilings, and perhaps have an old RF 75ohm coax from the old cable days that gets to the target room and has another end near your router. Ethernet-over-coax is also limited to 100Mbps streams, though there may be multiple of them.

And of course powerlines run through walls throughout your house, but probably also go through circuit breaker boxes (unless you're lucky and find a direct-copper link from one room to another in the same part of the house) and may or may not be grounded properly, etc. So these may or may not work well, depending on distance from a power socket near the router to the target room. But you're still talking 100Mbps, which again is impractical to support a 6-tuner network box from any vendor for an HTPC setup.

Word to the wise: home CAT6 wiring is something you should most seriously consider if you want to build out your own whole-home HTPC-based setup. You can get by with CAT5/CAT5e to the extender/HDTV nodes, but from HTPC to/from router and network-based tuners to/from router, in my opinion you want CAT6.
post #4900 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Personally, I don't think CAT5 is acceptable. Too slow, and with so many network tuners independently sending HD streams TO the router, and then FROM the router TO the HTPC, not to mention the other slew of HD streams from the HTPC TO the router and then FROM the router TO extenders/HDTVs around your house... well you get my point.
Cat5e works fine. I have two HTPCs, two HDHRs and three extenders all wired with Cat5e and have no network problems.

Last edited by Ken.F; 03-11-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: ajhieb made me feel guilty for implying that I used Cat5e when I actually wrote Cat5
post #4901 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Personally, I don't think CAT5 is acceptable.
Edited for clarity above. (not that it's particularly important though as I think it's difficult to find straight cat5 (not cat5e) these days)
Ken.F likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #4902 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You'll probably get gigabit speeds on plain old cat5, especially if your runs aren't too terribly long. You'll definitely get gigabit on cat6 (up to 10Gbps if you have a high dollar router).

I have fairly short runs ( < 50') and consistently get 1Gbps on my old cat5. I get 150Mpbs or so on my Moca network, which is fine for a couple of streams at a time. Any more that that, I'll have problems.

Sounds like the OP doesn't plan on many clients at the moment. Best course of action is try cat5 and see how it goes before you start pulling new cables everywhere.
post #4903 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sounds like the OP doesn't plan on many clients at the moment. Best course of action is try cat5 and see how it goes before you start pulling new cables everywhere.
If you don't have any cables in place it's not a bad idea to get Cat6 from the start. I don't plan on replacing my existing network cables but since my bulk box of Cat5e is nearly empty any new runs will be Cat6.
post #4904 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
HDHR Prime is on sale for $100 at Newegg right now.
HDHR Prime is on sale for $90 at Woot for the next 6 hours.
http://www.woot.com/offers/silicondu...me-3-tuners-17
post #4905 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Interesting.........so......it feels like its 50-50 of between wifi and powerline network.
post #4906 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since everybody has advised against wifi, I'm not feeling 50-50 ;-)
post #4907 of 4910 Old 03-11-2015, 04:37 PM

hahaha.
post #4908 of 4910 Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I'd point out this thread here since Ceton owners may be interested. I'm working on an add-in for a multi-view app in Windows Media Center for multiple channels on one screen. I find it particularly useful for sports, but others have mentioned news/weather as another application for it. Take a look if you're interested.

Sports Bar - New Windows Media Center add-in
post #4909 of 4910 Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewcraft View Post
I thought I'd point out this thread here since Ceton owners may be interested. I'm working on an add-in for a multi-view app in Windows Media Center for multiple channels on one screen. I find it particularly useful for sports, but others have mentioned news/weather as another application for it. Take a look if you're interested.

Sports Bar - New Windows Media Center add-in
interesting, so what it is actually doing is recording the channels with in MCE, and then your using a 3rd party player of sorts to play back those recordings at the same time with a few seconds delay, sounds like very interesting way to make this work. To do this with 4 channels, the HDD activity must be crazy. I'll waiting until you get a littler further along, but sounds like your definitely on to something.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #4910 of 4910 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, that's pretty much it. Lots of possibilities for how this could go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page