Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #4951 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
You've asked several questions here, but you haven't really provided enough information to provide proper answers.

Are you going with an internal Ceton InfiniTV card (4 or 6) to be installed in your HTPC, or a USB version of the card (connected to the HTPC via USB cable), or an external network ethernet version of the card? These are Ceton products. Or have you decided to go with a network-based SD Homerun Prime?

Anyway, with Windows Media Center a tuner is only needed if you watch live TV (either on the HTPC itself, or through an extender/HDTV in another room). A tuner is also needed to do a recording. But tp just watch a previously made recording no tuner is required. So you only need as many tuners as you anticipate will be in simultaneous use for scheduled recordings and watching live programs.

As far as that router is concerned, I think that model will be inadequate for a WMC environment involving network-based tuners. It is an inexpensive 10/100 Router supporting no faster than 100Mbps over wired connections. In other words it is not a Gigabit Router which would support wired connected devices at speeds up to 1Gbps. I assume your PC has a gigabit network adapter.

Remember that all the external tuners need to talk to WMC, and that's done wired via the router. If the router can only support 100Mbps, and each live HDTV stream being recorded or watched is typically 5-15Mbps by itself, and all of those streams from a single external network-based tuner like the Homerun is coming in on one single wired cable to the router, just do the math and it's likely you'll exceed the 100Mbps limit. Furthermore, play of live/recorded HDTV content on a single extender/HDTV will again typically be its own 5-15Mbps over separate wired/wireless . This is on top of whatever else is going on as far as recording data streams going through the router in a single path. While it is theoretically possible to deliver HDTV via wireless to an extender/HDTV node, if you really want reliable best-possible results you should use a wired connection.

Furthermore, if your ethernet cables are CAT5 then they are also limited to 100Mbps. So even if you had a Gigabit Router you couldn't deliver faster than 100Mbps over a wired connection from that router, because the ethernet cable is not designed for that speed. You must use either Cat5e or Cat6 cables to provide wired connections faster than 100Mbps.

As far a using multiple PC's in a WMC environment, I don't know exactly what you're thinking you can do or how you plan to use these additional PC's and what you also refer to as your HTPC. With copy-protected content (depends on your cable provider) you can only play that content on the WMC machine that did the recording originally. You cannot "share" copy-protected content on multiple PC's. Only copy-freely content can be played freely on any PC without consideration.

So, please provide some more details on what your plans are, and exactly what your equipment and cabling is. Can't provide proper answers without detailed information about your setup.
I'm going to get the SD prime not going to bother with the Ceton anymore I can't say I would be recording on other computers only just watching the main recording would be done in the living room on the HTPC. But anyways the computers in the other room are just "extras" not really the main area were I would be watching tv most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post
I'm going to get the SD prime not going to bother with the Ceton anymore I can't say I would be recording on other computers only just watching the main recording would be done in the living room on the HTPC. But anyways the computers in the other room are just "extras" not really the main area were I would be watching tv most of the time.
Going with the Prime makes it more important than ever to get a better router. My old 10/100 router could not keep up when I had a Prime.
bmcn likes this.
post #4953 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up this router today.. I really don't want to have to drive 30 miles one way to get something else.. I don't see too many with 1000mbs ports without spending over $130
post #4954 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
I just picked up this router today.. I really don't want to have to drive 30 miles one way to get something else.. I don't see too many with 1000mbs ports without spending over $130
Dave's correct.
post #4955 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'm going to try it out first
post #4956 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
I think I'm going to try it out first
Greenwich, middle of the sticks, lol.
post #4957 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Greenwich, middle of the sticks, lol.
lol sometimes it feels that way but I'm more near the NY border
post #4958 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
FWIW, I think I paid around $40 for my gigabit router on Amazon or eBay. You'll pay through the nose walking into a Best Buy or something like that.

No harm in trying first. It will work ok for a few streams, but much more than that, things will start to go south.
post #4959 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
With the Ceton tuners, I had ongoing issues with tuners not being available and recordings getting lost.
More of an aside as anything, but I had the same issues after tinkering with configurations until finally getting it right. Solved my issues with ...a fan. Even though the temp was close to but not beyond specifications, adding a card-mounted fan aimed directly at the Ceton brought the temperature down another ten degrees and my issues disappeared. Card worked great until BHN implemented the CCI bit across all channels on the system. Since I record on one PC and watch on another, that killed it for me.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4960 of 4978 Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No harm in trying first. It will work ok for a few streams, but much more than that, things will start to go south.
If the router isn't fast enough just put everything on a cheap gigabit switch. It doesn't matter how slow the router is if you use a switch. The only data that ever passes through my 10/100 router is internet. My internet service is 50 Mbps so if I upgraded to a gigabit router it wouldn't increase my network speed at all.
post #4961 of 4978 Old 10-26-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I may just return it I was looking on Amazon and I see some for $49 less then what I got mine for
post #4962 of 4978 Old 10-26-2015, 05:47 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
More of an aside as anything, but I had the same issues after tinkering with configurations until finally getting it right. Solved my issues with ...a fan. Even though the temp was close to but not beyond specifications, adding a card-mounted fan aimed directly at the Ceton brought the temperature down another ten degrees and my issues disappeared. Card worked great until BHN implemented the CCI bit across all channels on the system. Since I record on one PC and watch on another, that killed it for me.
I also added fans into the mix, which brought the temps WAY down and improved matters somewhat but never fully solved the problem. But the Ceton tuners are long gone at this point and I see no reason to consider switching back given how reliable the Primes have been.
post #4963 of 4978 Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
I also added fans into the mix, which brought the temps WAY down and improved matters somewhat but never fully solved the problem.
I had mine in a desktop PC and it would run pretty close to the 65°C limit. I moved it to my server (4U case with 8 cooling fans) and the temps are now typically in the 40s. My signal levels are in the -2 to -5 dBmV range with SNR 37 and it's still flaky.

I love this status webpage that mdavej posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceton status.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	1018185  
post #4964 of 4978 Old 10-26-2015, 09:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I had mine in a desktop PC and it would run pretty close to the 65°C limit. I moved it to my server (4U case with 8 cooling fans) and the temps are now typically in the 40s. My signal levels are in the -2 to -5 dBmV range with SNR 37 and it's still flaky.

I love this status webpage that mdavej posted.
Yup. The temps for my ETH tuners were also in the mid 60's before adding the fans and below 40 after adding the fans. My signal levels and SNR numbers were all good and it continued to be flaky. A simple swap to the Primes and all has been good ever since.
post #4965 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ever since Windows Media Center switched guide providers, the star rating as well as the date for movies have disappeared. Anyone know how I can get them back?
post #4966 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekythings View Post
Ever since Windows Media Center switched guide providers, the star rating as well as the date for movies have disappeared. Anyone know how I can get them back?
Alternatively, I don't mind stepping away from WMC and using some other PVR solution with my cablecards or a new Ceton infiniTV6 ETH. But what software out there has the best support for CableCards. Or rather, the most active development?
post #4967 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you have copy-once channels, currently only WMC works with them and the ETH.

Rovi just doesn't have star ratings and Microsoft has said they aren't coming back. I think there is an effort at The Green Button to get Zap2it data back, but it's quite a workaround.
post #4968 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Alternatively, I don't mind stepping away from WMC and using some other PVR solution with my cablecards or a new Ceton infiniTV6 ETH. But what software out there has the best support for CableCards. Or rather, the most active development?
Do you need support for Copy Once content? If not, take a look at JRiver Media Center. They've got a Kickstarter in the funding stage for adding Copy Once support, but it doesn't look very promising for them to reach their goal of $100,000 (only $4355 pledged so far with 16 days to go). Otherwise, they're a pretty solid solution for TV and are excellent for managing other media (audio, video, images).

The only other option out there that's (in theory) going to have support for Copy Once content is SiliconDust's DVR project, but that will only work with their tuners, so it won't be an option for Ceton owners.
post #4969 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:16 PM

Nice. I'll go and check that out.

Do you know if anyone is working to add copy-once or copy-never support to a PVR solution? I've heard it is expensive to get certification, but certainly it makes sense for companies like Ceton and Silicon Dust to want to support other software besides WMC. Maybe they'd help in the development effort or financing effort.

Last edited by geekythings; 12-03-2015 at 08:29 AM.
post #4970 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

SiliconDust had a Kickstarter campaign that was funded successfully to develop an alternative to WMC that works with their HDHR tuners. However, they're a little behind schedule right now and copy-once support hasn't shown up yet (I think). JRiver currently has an ongoing Kickstarter campaign, but as gsr said, it's not looking good for reaching their goal, but it should support Ceton tuners (already does, just not copy-once).
post #4971 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Do you know if anyone is working to add copy-once or copy-never support to a PVR solution? I've heard it is expensive to get certification, but certainly it makes since for companies like Ceton and Silicon Dust to want to support other software besides WMC. Maybe they'd help in the development effort or financing effort.
Like I said, JRiver Media Center is seeking funding to add Copy Once support to their software. Other than not having Copy Once support yet, their TV solution is already a very good replacement option for WMC, complete with series recording functionality. The only support SiliconDust has offered so far is to start a new subforum for JRiver on their discussion board. Given that they ran a Kickstarter campaign to fund a PVR solution from the ground up, I doubt SiliconDust has any funds to send in JRiver's direction. I don't believe any of these companies are big enough to have lots of spare money to fund projects such as these, hence the Kickstarter campaigns.
post #4972 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 PM

So is copy-never content out of the question?

And is anyone working on on-demand content? That is one of the things that frustrates me about WMC. Microsoft never added two-way cablecard communication.
post #4973 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Sorry gsr. I'm writing these posts and before I can even submit them you respond with answers!
post #4974 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:40 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
So is copy-never content out of the question?
I'm not sure where support for that falls. It would obviously only be allowed for live viewing. Is it even used anywhere?

Quote:
And is anyone working on on-demand content? That is one of the things that frustrates me about WMC. Microsoft never added two-way cablecard communication.
I don't believe that's possible.
post #4975 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

WMC supports copy-never, it will throw an error message if you try to record a copy-never program. The only times I've seen copy-never is misconfiguration by the cable company, or PPV events which can be ordered by phone, and then you just tune to the specified PPV channel in the guide.
post #4976 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where support for that falls. It would obviously only be allowed for live viewing. Is it even used anywhere?
I'm pretty sure it is only used in pay-per-view content. I think it would be most useful for fights and such.

Quote:
I don't believe that's possible.
Are you sure? It is possible with TiVo.

https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/...-premiere-dvrs
post #4977 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Tivo is doing something special specifically with Comcast to get their On Demand to work. The Tivo requests the On Demand content over IP instead of through the CableCard http://zatznotfunny.com/2012-04/tivo...san-francisco/
post #4978 of 4978 Old 12-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Tivo is doing something special specifically with Comcast to get their On Demand to work. The Tivo requests the On Demand content over IP instead of through the CableCard http://zatznotfunny.com/2012-04/tivo...san-francisco/
Ahh ok. But it does say that requests are over IP and the content is via QAM. I guess if the IP API is proprietary then it'll be highly unlikely we'll see it in other software. But one could hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers