gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

I don't know and no way to try since I don't have 8 xbox or 2 Ceton to try. But my thought process is, it is limit in the tuner side and once it is free up, xbox will be able to share them up to the limit of the tuner.

It's a WMC limit and has nothing to do with how many tuners you have enabled. You could have 24 tuners and you still wouldn't be able to use more than 5 extenders at any given time. I suspect the limit is there partly to protect people from getting bad performance as at some point you run out of some combination of network bandwidth, the ability for the hard drive to keep up, memory, other system resources, etc. Tuner Salad changes the tuner limit, but does not touch the extender limit - there would surely be something mentioned on their site if it did otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4790 Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry, I've never tested more than two xboxes at the same time. I think if I needed more than 4 tuners I would build a 2nd HTPC with InfiniTV and associate a few xboxes with the 2nd WMC, instead of trying to build one huge system.

I do not like 3rd party workarounds and I do not like excess complexity. An HTPC serving a family needs to work all the time. The bigger and more complex it gets, the less reliable it is. If you have a lot of users, I don't see a big advantage to serving them all from one system.

Wayne
post #543 of 4790 Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

It's a WMC limit and has nothing to do with how many tuners you have enabled. You could have 24 tuners and you still wouldn't be able to use more than 5 extenders at any given time. I suspect the limit is there partly to protect people from getting bad performance as at some point you run out of some combination of network bandwidth, the ability for the hard drive to keep up, memory, other system resources, etc. Tuner Salad changes the tuner limit, but does not touch the extender limit - there would surely be something mentioned on their site if it did otherwise.

IC, it is WMC extender limit not tuner limit. Thanks for sharing the info.
post #544 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneflo View Post

If you have a lot of users, I don't see a big advantage to serving them all from one system.

For Live TV, there's no huge advantage other than reduced power consumption from having just 1 PC running instead of 2.

However, if you also record TV, then the advantage is huge, especially if you have any Copy Once channels in your programming package or want to be able to start watching recordings that are still in progress on the other PC. You can share the recorded TV folders on the 2 PC's with each other, but PC#1 can only play Copy Freely content from PC#2 and vice versa. Watching a recording that's in progress on the other PC is a PITA (this was discussed earlier in this thread).
post #545 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 AM

I am sure that this problem has cropped up before, but any help I can get is welcome. I installed the Ceton Infinitv in my newly built HTPC and after multiple attempts at installation, I have reached a point where, the diagnostics tell me that everything is fine with the card (all green check marks), the tv signal setup process goes through, it recognizes the cable card and the provider, but no signal when I view live tv. It tells me that there is no signal. When I run the tuner diagnostics in WMC, the signal strength is -10.4dB. When the tech came out the initial readings were more along the lines of -15db or less and he tweaked it some and it has ended up here. I don't have a booster on the line before it gets to the house. I read one of the posts where they got one of the Motorola signal boosters and got good results and I have ordered one. It should be here in a day or so. The only customization that I have done to WMC is to use one of the skins from Media Center Studio and have MyMovie 4. I have a Intel dual core processor and an Intel MB with onboard graphics. Any suggestions?
post #546 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekhar View Post

I am sure that this problem has cropped up before, but any help I can get is welcome. I installed the Ceton Infinitv in my newly built HTPC and after multiple attempts at installation, I have reached a point where, the diagnostics tell me that everything is fine with the card (all green check marks), the tv signal setup process goes through, it recognizes the cable card and the provider, but no signal when I view live tv. It tells me that there is no signal. When I run the tuner diagnostics in WMC, the signal strength is -10.4dB. When the tech came out the initial readings were more along the lines of -15db or less and he tweaked it some and it has ended up here. I don't have a booster on the line before it gets to the house. I read one of the posts where they got one of the Motorola signal boosters and got good results and I have ordered one. It should be here in a day or so. The only customization that I have done to WMC is to use one of the skins from Media Center Studio and have MyMovie 4. I have a Intel dual core processor and an Intel MB with onboard graphics. Any suggestions?

Your hardware and software are fine. As you already know, I think it is the classic weak signal problem, you do need to get your signal lot better than -10.4. FYI, I've 1.5 to +2 and I do not have any problem.
post #547 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Your hardware and software are fine. As you already know, I think it is the classic weak signal problem, you do need to get your signal lot better than -10.4. FYI, I've 1.5 to +2 and I do not have any problem.

Thanks. Will hook up the signal booster and see what comes of it.
post #548 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Will hook up the signal booster and see what comes of it.

FYI and posted before, I had exactly the same problem like you when Comcast first installed the line, even when I have picture came in, it is from time to time... fast forward a bit and when another tech came out he throw away all the wire from my house all the way to the pole, the previous tech installed, and even change the main splitter between houses up in the pole, long story short no more splitter from the main line to my house and inside my house I've one one splitter and after 7 hours I gained 10X and ended up the numbers I post before without any booster.
post #549 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
FYI and posted before, I had exactly the same problem like you when Comcast first installed the line, even when I have picture came in, it is from time to time... fast forward a bit and when another tech came out he throw away all the wire from my house all the way to the pole, the previous tech installed, and even change the main splitter between houses up in the pole, long story short no more splitter from the main line to my house and inside my house I've one one splitter and after 7 hours I gained 10X and ended up the numbers I post before without any booster.
I have two cable lines which come from the street to the house. Each line is then split into 3 each and 6 lines are then taken inside the house. Somewhere along the way, they are split further to feed 8 cable drops. So the question I suppose is, should I get a booster on the main lines before it gets to the initial 3 way splitter or can I just add a booster to line from the wall to the Ceton?
post #550 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
I have two cable lines which come from the street to the house. Each line is then split into 3 each and 6 lines are then taken inside the house. Somewhere along the way, they are split further to feed 8 cable drops. So the question I suppose is, should I get a booster on the main lines before it gets to the initial 3 way splitter or can I just add a booster to line from the wall to the Ceton?
That seems an odd setup. Why 2 lines into the house? Did they split the one line into two with a splitter at the junction box or do you truly have 2 dedicated drops dedicated to your house? Do you really need all 8 cable drops active? Every splitter reduces your signal levels. 2x splitters are usually -3.5db, 5x splitters are usually -7db and 3 way splitters are usually 2 at-7db and 1at -3.5db.

After getting my Ceton, I only need cable active in two locations: Office (for cable modem), and Gameroom (for Ceton). I hijacked the cable run to other active TV to use for a MoCA ethernet connection since the house is older and there is no Cat 5/6 to that location. I disconnected all the runs to the other drops that were not being used.
post #551 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post
That seems an odd setup. Why 2 lines into the house? Did they split the one line into two with a splitter at the junction box or do you truly have 2 dedicated drops dedicated to your house? Do you really need all 8 cable drops active? Every splitter reduces your signal levels. 2x splitters are usually -3.5db, 5x splitters are usually -7db and 3 way splitters are usually 2 at-7db and 1at -3.5db.

After getting my Ceton, I only need cable active in two locations: Office (for cable modem), and Gameroom (for Ceton). I hijacked the cable run to other active TV to use for a MoCA ethernet connection since the house is older and there is no Cat 5/6 to that location. I disconnected all the runs to the other drops that were not being used.
I don't know whether they split one line to two at the junction box or whether there are actually 2 drops for the house. I suspect it is the first one. Unfortunately, with two kids in the house, I have to keep pretty most of the drops alive!!! There are only 3 unused drops for the most part. I have ordered the Motorola BDA - S1 signal booster which is supposed to give me a 15dB boost. Since I am starting at about -10.4dB, I figured that if I hooked it up from the wall to the Ceton it should get me a good signal without frying the system! Any suggestions???
post #552 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr

However, if you also record TV, then the advantage is huge
GSR, I'm sympathetic to the desire to have one huge recording system shared among all users. But, if it comes at the expense of lower reliability, it is not worth it to me.

I also see advantages to having a backup of my recorded content on the second HTPC.

Another advantage is giving the kids a separate system so they cannot view restricted content or mess with my content. Not that they would mess with my content on purpose, but accidents happen. Even too many adults sharing a single database of content invites some chaos.

Certainly there are extra costs, but the distributed system can use an everyday class computer and can be setup on a network switch that minimizes network traffic saturation.

That said, I have one huge recording system with all my content available from everywhere, but, it does not cost me any reliability and my kids are gone. I rarely watch live tv, everything is recorded.

Wayne
post #553 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
GSR, I'm sympathetic to the desire to have one huge recording system shared among all users. But, if it comes at the expense of lower reliability, it is not worth it to me.
I've been running dual Ceton cards in a PC located in the basement since they first shipped (I got one of the first cards to ship and another shortly after from someone who changed his mind about using the Ceton). I installed Tuner Salad so I could use more than 4 tuners. I wanted all the tuners in 1 box because there are (rare) times when I want to record more than 4 shows at the same time and I'd prefer not to manually handle conflicts, which is what I had to do when I had DirecTV and 3 of their DVR's in my main system. I've had absolutely no reliability problems and there's no reason to expect there should be.

Quote:
I also see advantages to having a backup of my recorded content on the second HTPC.
Backups are certainly nice, but my feeling is that if I happen to lose some TV shows, life will go on and there are various ways to watch the shows that were missed anyway, so it's really not that big a deal.

Quote:
Certainly there are extra costs, but the distributed system can use an everyday class computer and can be setup on a network switch that minimizes network traffic saturation.
The single computer solution really doesn't require special hardware. I decided to combine my Ceton box with media storage, so in my case I needed slightly special hardware so I would have enough of the right type of PCIe slots for everything.

Quote:
That said, I have one huge recording system with all my content available from everywhere, but, it does not cost me any reliability and my kids are gone. I rarely watch live tv, everything is recorded.
I pretty much only watch sports live. Just about everything else is either slightly delayed or watched at some point after the recording has finished (either the same day or some future date), but watching slightly delayed recordings is a PITA when recording to multiple WMC boxes.
post #554 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know whether they split one line to two at the junction box or whether there are actually 2 drops for the house. I suspect it is the first one. Unfortunately, with two kids in the house, I have to keep pretty most of the drops alive!!! There are only 3 unused drops for the most part. I have ordered the Motorola BDA - S1 signal booster which is supposed to give me a 15dB boost. Since I am starting at about -10.4dB, I figured that if I hooked it up from the wall to the Ceton it should get me a good signal without frying the system! Any suggestions???
I am with BartMan01 and not sure why 2 lines there. Trust me they will be able to do whole lot better than that, it is just come down whether they are willing to pull the old lines away and install the new one. Try to get one line with good signal coming in before putting any splitter will be your best bet.
post #555 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 PM

I did some quick testing today. I ran 5 xbox 360 extenders with a mix of recording, live, and playback. With all four tuners active (3 different xboxes using live channels and one HTPC recording in progress) I successfully tuned a fourth xbox to a channel that was already live on another xbox. So, it appears WMC can serve a single tuner to multiple WMC extenders.

But, my xbox 360s showed network issues with 5 units running. WMC seemed to prioritize the live channels, since they ran smoothly, while the playback xbox video became very choppy (audio was smooth). The HTPC recording was not effected.

I was a little surprised by the network bandwidth problem, since even at 10Mbit/sec per video stream, my 100Mbit network should have enough bandwidth. But I would not be surprised if network efficiency is poor because the HTPC network connection is at the end of a 3-deep chain of network switches. It is ok for me, since I never really need more than 2 video streams.

A higher bandwidth architecture might be to put the HTPC on a core switch that feeds the rest of the house, but I'm not sure that would solve the problem. I am more confident that serving the house from 2 HTPCs connected to a core switch would work well on a 100Mbit network.

Wayne
post #556 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Backups are certainly nice, but my feeling is that if I happen to lose some TV shows, life will go on and there are various ways to watch the shows that were missed anyway, so it's really not that big a deal.

I have a couple series that I did not watch the first few seasons, so I record the reruns and build up a pretty big backlog. It could take a long time before they come around again, so I would not be happy to lose them.

Quote:

The single computer solution really doesn't require special hardware. I decided to combine my Ceton box with media storage, so in my case I needed slightly special hardware so I would have enough of the right type of PCIe slots for everything.

If I was trying to build a bigger system I would use quad CPUs instead of duals, more RAM, bigger power supply, bigger chassis, etc. With a small system I am confident a small computer will handle it, but maybe a small computer will handle a big HTPC, I don't know, so I would tend to lower risk with a big computer.

Quote:

but watching slightly delayed recordings is a PITA when recording to multiple WMC boxes.

I have noticed some video stuttering when watching slightly delayed shows that are still recording. I believe there were multiple streams recording at the same time, and a 2nd xbox being watched also, but I'm not sure the exact state when the stuttering happened. What have you seen?

Wayne
post #557 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM

My Ceton InfiniTV arrives tomorrow. I am wondering if there's any application out there that would allow me to control Windows Media Center from my iPad, rather than using the mouse/keyboard or a WMC remote. I've seen Remote Potato HD, and that would be great if it could actually be used as just a remote for whichever TV is hooked up to the HTPC, but I honestly don't think it has this mode.

Any ideas?
post #558 of 4790 Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm installing my Ceton card tomorrow and Time Warner (SoCal) is coming out on Friday. Just wanted to ask, in general, what pitfalls I might find and is there anything I should be looking out for when the technician arrives?

Also, I was reading that I'll probably need 2 tuning adapters from TWC. Is that true? If so, anything I need to watch out for there?

Thanks!
post #559 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwall View Post

Hi Everyone,

I'm installing my Ceton card tomorrow and Time Warner (SoCal) is coming out on Friday. Just wanted to ask, in general, what pitfalls I might find and is there anything I should be looking out for when the technician arrives?

Also, I was reading that I'll probably need 2 tuning adapters from TWC. Is that true? If so, anything I need to watch out for there?

Thanks!

Hope you are not paying for a pro install, Monday they have to allow free self installs.

Many TWC markets have already updated the Cisco TA firmware to support 6 tuners. Again on Monday they are required to have the firmware updated. The new Firmware is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402
Cisco TA update in the field
http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...px?PageIndex=4

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #560 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 AM

I've built a new AMD Llano based system and thought I'd share my experience.

My provider is Cox Cable in Santa Barbara CA which now offers a 'self install kit" for the cablecard, I went down to pick it up from their local customer service center and picked up the "kit' which turned out to be a cablecard and a sheet of instruction for installing tuning adapters which they assured me I didn't need for my area.

They also weren't sure whether the cablecard they had in stock would work for the four tuner Ceton, the rep I spoke to was used to dealing the TIVO (which I believe is three tuners?) and he expected I'd need 2 cablecards. I decided to take the one they had home and try it, the rep very graciously offered to set up an appointment for a tech to come out the next day and waived any charges for the visit (which are normally in the $50 range) and he added a note to the tech to bring a four tuner compatible cablecard. So on one hand I wished they had more knowledge about their equipment but I was also very pleased that they were willing to send the tech out for free if things weren't right.

I installed the Ceton card in the PC with no problem but between the printed instructions that came with the Ceton and the instructions I downloaded from the website I wasn't sure whether to put the cablecard in the slot right away or first do the initial setup (drivers etc) and then put it in. I decided to put in from the start and that seemed to work fine.

Also I Googled the model of the cablecard, which was a Scientific Atlanta PKM800 and from that it looked like I indeed did have a card that would handle the Ceton's four tuners. Whew!

The next day I proceed with the activation steps, following the detailed guide I downloaded from the Ceton website. The Digital Card Advisor in Windows Media Center gave me the cablecard ID and the host ID, armed with those and the order number and phone number I crossed my fingers and called Cox Cable. After reading the many stories on this and other forums I was really uncertain how this was going to go!

The automated system took me to a point where it asked whether I was "installing a new service" or "did I need help fixing a problem". I expected that option 1 was "talk to the computer" and option 2 was "talk to a person". Not yet having a "problem" per se I went with option one and the system went through some gyrations with no input from me and then said everything was OK. I expected to have to enter that DCA info so I wasn't surprised when the Ceton diagnostic was still stuck on step 5 on the "Cablecard" tab.

So I called Cox back and this time went the the second option and got a real person. She took a minute or two to get up to speed but then we got on the same page and I gave her the cablecard ID and host ID. Next came an oddity in the Ceton diagnostic screen. Step 5 (pairing the cablecard) remained unchecked BUT the following steps 6-8 on the list went to green check marks. It then asked me to enter a channel number and I tried a couple (including HBO) and the diagnostic checked off the last two steps as green. The earlier step remained red so I was worried that things weren't quite right. The phone rep was very nice and agreed to hold the line and waited until I finished the setup in Windows Media Center.

When that finished I was able to watch TV! Since all was well I cancelled the tech visit. The incomplete red step was still there in the diagnostic but when I went back later (either I reran the diagnostic from scratch or rebooted I'm not sure which) it was gone and all steps were checked green.

Post activation I had couple of issues which have now cleared up:

Some channels were "flickering" and stuttering a bit, I researched that and it turns out that the AMD video settings must have "dynamic contrast" adjustment turned off.

Then I found several recordings had intermittent horizontal lines and some digital artifacts/pixelation that was frequent enough to be annoying. My signal strength was between -5 and -3 dbm so I went through my connections and removed a -3.5 dB loss from a splitter I'd used for my MythTV/HDHomerun setup which brought the signal up to the -1 to +1 dBm range.

After removing that splitter loss and rebooting I was getting issues with channels not coming in, rebooting again fixed that. Oddly enough the first recording or two still had some lines and artifacts, but since the next day's recordings I haven't seen them anymore. So I'm not sure if they were signal strength related but knock on wood they stay away!

I'd been running a MythTV Ubuntu setup for about 4 years (getting clear QAM only) which was a real pain to set up but worked reliably thereafter. Cox in Santa Barbara now encrypts everything but the basic networks channels, so now I can record them all with this new setup and get rid of the rented cable box, once we watch all the recorded shows on it!

Sorry for the long post (it's late and I don't feel like editing it down ) but I wanted to get some nitty gritty details in there in case they might help someone else. I had a few sticking points but overall I'm very happy with my Ceton/Win7 Media Center combination (so far ) .

"I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand" - Douglas Adams
post #561 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I was a little surprised by the network bandwidth problem, since even at 10Mbit/sec per video stream

HD streams should be at least a bit more than 10Mbit/sec.

Quote:

, my 100Mbit network should have enough bandwidth. But I would not be surprised if network efficiency is poor because the HTPC network connection is at the end of a 3-deep chain of network switches. It is ok for me, since I never really need more than 2 video streams.

That partly depends on what you're using for switches as some of the consumer grade switches are much better than others and the pro stuff is usually much better.

Quote:

A higher bandwidth architecture might be to put the HTPC on a core switch that feeds the rest of the house, but I'm not sure that would solve the problem. I am more confident that serving the house from 2 HTPCs connected to a core switch would work well on a 100Mbit network.

If the cost isn't an issue, also consider upgrading to gigabit switches, but putting the main HTPC onto a core switch certainly shouldn't make things worse. I'm using a pair of HP ProCurve 1810G-24 24 port gigabit switches. One is in the basement. It serves the main WMC box and several other devices that are located in the same rack and then has ports wired to most rooms in the house. Since the family room (where my TV, surround sound system, and most source devices are located) has way too many devices that need network ports the second switch is in there with 2 lines trunked back to the main switch in the basement.

Quote:

I have a couple series that I did not watch the first few seasons, so I record the reruns and build up a pretty big backlog. It could take a long time before they come around again, so I would not be happy to lose them.

Well there are various options to deal with this. If the channels are copy freely, then you can just backup your recordings on other PC's by simply copying the files. If the channels are copy once, then a 2nd system probably is your best bet.

Quote:

If I was trying to build a bigger system I would use quad CPUs instead of duals, more RAM, bigger power supply, bigger chassis, etc. With a small system I am confident a small computer will handle it, but maybe a small computer will handle a big HTPC, I don't know, so I would tend to lower risk with a big computer.

You don't necessarily need all of that to have 1 central system instead of a couple of systems. Especially in your case where you never have more than 2 XBOX's going, there's no need to have a significantly more powerful system as you won't be taxing it that badly. I only went big with things because I was also using the system as a file server and needed a motherboard with enough of the right type PCIe slots to handle everything I was putting into it. At the time, that forced me to use a Asus P6T7 SuperComputer motherboard, which then forced me to use a Core i7 CPU. I used a large power supply because the system was going to have a LOT of hard drives. If I were just using the box for WMC, I could have scaled things back quite a bit and ended up with a system that would work just fine.

Quote:

I have noticed some video stuttering when watching slightly delayed shows that are still recording. I believe there were multiple streams recording at the same time, and a 2nd xbox being watched also, but I'm not sure the exact state when the stuttering happened. What have you seen?

I rarely have any issues with stuttering. Every once in a while, the XBOX starts stuttering and displays a "Network Error" popup. Dismissing the error, and skipping back a bit in the show fixes it every time. This happens with shows that were already finished recording just as much as it happens with shows that are still recording. I'm very confident that the problem is something other than my network because I get blazing fast transfers between the HTPC in the family room and the WMC PC in the basement and there's almost never anything else of significance going on with the networking when those errors display. I've done some analysis on my system to try to track down what's causing the problem, but network traffic seems normal, CPU usage is well within where it should be, memory is fine, and disk access isn't an issue. The error message only happens a few times a month, so I've learned to live with it.

I'd suggest spending a little time with the Resource Monitor in your case to see if there are any obvious problem points. Open the Windows Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, then click the Resource Monitor button. If you google a bit, there are some good references out there for what's best to look at in there.
post #562 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Liked: 12
Alright so this card works great, but everytime I reboot it can't find the tuner and I have to set it up again. When I run the ceton software it always asks me to reinstall the firmware. Is something wrong?
post #563 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loci03 View Post
Alright so this card works great, but everytime I reboot it can't find the tuner and I have to set it up again. When I run the ceton software it always asks me to reinstall the firmware. Is something wrong?
What you described is not the normal behavior and it is not working great at all. Are you using the latest FW and/or driver?
post #564 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
What you described is not the normal behavior and it is not working great at all. Are you using the latest FW and/or driver?

Yeah, on a windows 7 machine. It sucks, everytime i reboot the drivers get messed up i think. Also am I suppose to tune the card after its in the pc on the infinitv 4 local website?
post #565 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, on a windows 7 machine. It sucks, everytime i reboot the drivers get messed up i think. Also am I suppose to tune the card after its in the pc on the infinitv 4 local website?
Sorry not sure what you mean by "am I suppose to tune the card after its in the pc on the infinitv 4 local website?"

In a normal behavior like everyone else, you do not need to do anything, after sleep, reboot or shut down. InfiniTV will be available and you do not need to do anything. I suggest you uninstall all Ceton drivers and start all over again.
post #566 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So did you reinstall the firmware? What version of firmware does the diagnostic/web Ui say you have? Does stay the same after rebooting if you update it? On my first Ceton it according the Ceton likely had the firmware get corrupt and rolled back to stock firmware twice but I never got a message that I needed to reinstall firmware I just got all sorts of new(actually old but new to me) problems that were fixed in newer firmwares, maybe the installer has this added and/or it requires a newer version of firmware than is on you're card-either it came w/ old firmware or got corrupt.

post #567 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
You don't necessarily need ... Especially in your case where you never have more than 2 XBOX's going
I'm very happy with my performance and don't plan any changes. As you say, with only two streams running, I am not stressing any part of it.

My tests and resulting comments were more a general discussion for others that actually want to run 6 or 8 xbox extenders. it looks to me like 4 active ones can be run off one HTPC and a 100Mbit network. More than that needs a 2nd HTPC and tuner, which solves the network issues and the 5 WMC extender limit.

I'm not sure the xbox slim has Gig-E (older xboxes do not for sure). The specs just label it as Ethernet. An Internet search finds other users with the same question and no definitive answer.

Wayne
post #568 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Mine takes a SIGNIFICANT amount of time to recognize the tuner again.

If I reboot, sometimes it will take in excess of a few hours until I am able to tune into live TV again. I try to never reboot...

Also, I find that my WMC "stops working" somewhat frequently, like as in every couple days. So I can't access via an extender, I have to go down to the main HTPC, restart WMC, then it works fine.

post #569 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Just an update on my experience with my Ceton. Card arrived yesterday. Installed on W7 x64 Ult without a problem. Updated the firmware through the diagnostic utility in a few minutes.

Today TW Milwaukee arrived with 1 cable card and 1 tuning adapter. I ordered 2 cards and 2 tuning adapters based on prolific rumors about the two tuner limitation with the TA. He only showed up with 1. Installed easy; after the tech fed the numbers to the people on the other end of his computer it took a minute or two and said it was done. All the channels were available and 1 tuning adapter allowed 4 streams.

I had to go back to work so I didn't get a chance to play around much. So far I'm delighted I abandoned the eternal wait for the SD HDHR Prime 3cc and spent the extra $13 for the Ceton.
post #570 of 4790 Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13 View Post
Mine takes a SIGNIFICANT amount of time to recognize the tuner again.

If I reboot, sometimes it will take in excess of a few hours until I am able to tune into live TV again. I try to never reboot...

Also, I find that my WMC "stops working" somewhat frequently, like as in every couple days. So I can't access via an extender, I have to go down to the main HTPC, restart WMC, then it works fine.

Do you get the dreaded "Viewing or Listening Conflict" message in WMC?

If so, I have the same problem. Sometimes a reboot will have the Ceton recognized immediately. Other times it takes multiple reboots and once in a while I have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to get it to work. It seems that the card just doesn't initialize properly in Windows even though Device Manager claims it is working properly.

Currently I have a ticket open with Ceton support about this issue. Hopefully they can fix it because other than that one issue it works perfectly.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page