post #631 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecrab View Post

Sorry to change topic a little. But I recently installed a ceton I4 and was experiencing the annoying 29/59 refresh bug with my ATI 5670 512mb card. I couldn't find any solutions that worked on the web, but I did manage to solve it. Under the video section of ccc I disabled all post processing effects except for automatic de-interlacing and dynamic range. Now HBOHD and all the other HD channels appear to be stutter free. I haven't bothered to add each effect one at a time to test which ones can be safely added, as I find the picture quality acceptable with all effects disabled.

I hope this helps anyone also experiencing this and cannot find a solution.

On Nvidia changing dynamic range from default 16-235 to 0-255 usually takes care of the 29/59 bug flicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 148
That beta firmware has been in beta for a long time...wonder what the downsides are and when it will be released?
post #633 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

That beta firmware has been in beta for a long time...wonder what the downsides are and when it will be released?

I might be flat wrong, but I think they are revising and patching their beta FW to be compatible to problem users, set up such as different OS, chipsets out there. So when they received the support ticket, they will released the beta FW to those users. They are not hurry to released the beta FW to other users w/o problem. So if you have no problem like me, I do not see any different/downside with the beta FW. I doubt their beta FW will improving anything, more target for the user with problems.
post #634 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM

I have my ceton tuner, and the cable guy came today but we didn't get very far..

He left the cable card here with the #'s so I can call in myself, but when I go into Windows Media Center and try to run the Digital Cable Advisor it gives me an error.

I hit "Start Test" and a box comes up that says

INVALID APPLICATION
Unable to launch "DigitalCableAdvisor"

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall ceton drivers/digital cable advisor tool and all.

Updated firmware for the tuner and everything and just cant get it. Getting really frustrating. I guess maybe I can try to reinstall Windows 7?
post #635 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There has been 16 beta firmwares, I'm not sure but I think there's been 3 official(original, FiOS, and the one that allowed turner sharing along w/ all the other fixes/changes they put in the betas up to that time) but I'm not sure since I get all my firmwares from the beta page so I didn't notice how many firmwares went up on the normal support page(now there's none-I guess do to the installer being able to check for firmware updates now).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #636 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB423 View Post

I have my ceton tuner, and the cable guy came today but we didn't get very far..

He left the cable card here with the #'s so I can call in myself, but when I go into Windows Media Center and try to run the Digital Cable Advisor it gives me an error.

I hit "Start Test" and a box comes up that says

INVALID APPLICATION
Unable to launch "DigitalCableAdvisor"

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall ceton drivers/digital cable advisor tool and all.

Updated firmware for the tuner and everything and just cant get it. Getting really frustrating. I guess maybe I can try to reinstall Windows 7?

Only thing I can find is that when I do go into Ceton Diagnostics, and then Devices there is a red circle that says

InfiniTV is not configured for use with Media Center, Please reinstall InfiniTV drivers.

-Problem is I have reinstalled that package a number of times now that you download from ceton.com/support also when I go into device manager it says it is installed properly and when I update it says I am using the latest driver... It is listed as a Network adapter though ?

Any ideas ?
post #637 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

There has been 16 beta firmwares, I'm not sure but I think there's been 3 official(original, FiOS, and the one that allowed turner sharing along w/ all the other fixes/changes they put in the betas up to that time) but I'm not sure since I get all my firmwares from the beta page so I didn't notice how many firmwares went up on the normal support page(now there's none-I guess do to the installer being able to check for firmware updates now).

Beta page?
post #638 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Beta page?
Why Ceton adds you to the beta program they give a link to a page that has the beta FW/HW downloads.

Edit:Why=When

post #639 of 4811 Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Why Ceton adds you to the beta program they give a link to a page that has the beta FW/HW downloads.
Good greif, we have been on the same release driver/firmware for nearly six months now. There is a beta page... hard to imagine they could not find a bone or two of improvement to throw out at the rest of us in all this time.

Just another blank signature.
post #640 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The beta firmware doesn't affect pairing of the card, right? If I pair it with the stable and then later upgrade to beta, then I wouldn't have to repair?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #641 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

The beta firmware doesn't affect pairing of the card, right? If I pair it with the stable and then later upgrade to beta, then I wouldn't have to repair?

I don't believe doesn't, but I can't confirm w/ my own experience as my card was never paired in the first place, but I don't recall Ceton ever mentioning about maybe needing to re-pair after FW or HW update and see why it would since the card keeps it's ID.

post #642 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM

So, I got the Ceton a couple weeks ago, and went about building my new HTPC to go with it. I decided to go with the i3 architecture, but generally kept the thing bare bones--CPU, mobo, RAM, HD, and the Ceton, of course. Nothing else to screw things up.

I set up the computer, got WMC set up, and generally things were looking good.

Jump to last night. I finally got the cablecard from Charter (though I did have to cite the new FCC rules to get them to allow the self install, plus had to drive to two separate branch offices to pick up the card they said they would hold for me).

Powered down, installed the cablecard, powered back up and followed the installation procedures to the letter. Called Charter, and pairing seemed to go off without a hitch. I wasn't receiving my premium channels, but I figured that may have been something on Charter's end and was planning on calling them back today.

But then...problems. Long story short, my system is now completely unstable. It started with my internet connection just dying. Then it came back on, but was extremely slow (we're talking less than dial up speeds here). Other computers in the house had no such slow down. I tried analyzing the digital connection, and WMC froze and then crashed. The only way to get out was to reboot with a ctl-alt-del, but then when shutting down, the computer froze there too. Things were still unstable after the reboot. When I try to start the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, nothing happens. Literally. Task manager says the process is running, but there is no tool. I try uninstalling items, thinking maybe there are some processes (like MediaBrowser) that are interfering. Uninstall crashes and hangs. More reboots are required, but the system hangs at reboot. Manual restarts are necessary. Even shutting down after initial start up won't work.

I finally give up and perform a system restore to before the Ceton drivers were installed--and everything is fine after that. I immediately start by uninstalling any item that's running a non-critical background process. I reinstall the drivers, rerun the card installation in WMC, and this time, at least the Diagnostic Tool starts up. First thing I notice is that I'm being told to request the CCV code again. Okay, fine. But it also says that my tuning adapter (a Motorola) is insufficient for four streams. That's...not right. I have the tool update the firmware for the Ceton, and it starts...and then crashes again on reboot. Hangs for about 10 minutes. I pull out a book to wait it out, see if it's just slow...eventually get a BSOD saying "Driver power state failure", before reboot.

Current status is that the system can't shut down by itself. I'm receiving no channels. After the last reboot, the Diagnostic Tool won't start again. WMC is crashing frequently, and the HTPC is on the border of uselessness. Is this behavior so out of the ordinary that should be writing Ceton with a trouble ticket? Should I be trying something else?
post #643 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Yeah, that's a problem.

Out of curiosity what is the IP address of your router (default gateway?)...
post #644 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM

The default for this router...192.168.1.1.

Why...could that be a problem?

Incidentally, I'm not using network tuning or anything else special with this card. I have it so I can get cable on the main TV and nothing else.
post #645 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

I had a problem similar just solved...

My router was on the same subnet, 192.168.200.x and the Ceton is 192.168.200.1
post #646 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchavez View Post

The default for this router...192.168.1.1.

Why...could that be a problem?

Incidentally, I'm not using network tuning or anything else special with this card. I have it so I can get cable on the main TV and nothing else.

Same here and my router is 192.168.1.1 and only 50 users allowed, so the IP address wil not go up and affected Ceton IP 192.168.200.1 unless you have some device and static assigned 192.168.200.1. Do you?
post #647 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, I got the Ceton a couple weeks ago, and went about building my new HTPC to go with it. I decided to go with the i3 architecture, but generally kept the thing bare bones--CPU, mobo, RAM, HD, and the Ceton, of course. Nothing else to screw things up.

I set up the computer, got WMC set up, and generally things were looking good.

Jump to last night. I finally got the cablecard from Charter (though I did have to cite the new FCC rules to get them to allow the self install, plus had to drive to two separate branch offices to pick up the card they said they would hold for me).

Powered down, installed the cablecard, powered back up and followed the installation procedures to the letter. Called Charter, and pairing seemed to go off without a hitch. I wasn't receiving my premium channels, but I figured that may have been something on Charter's end and was planning on calling them back today.

But then...problems. Long story short, my system is now completely unstable. It started with my internet connection just dying. Then it came back on, but was extremely slow (we're talking less than dial up speeds here). Other computers in the house had no such slow down. I tried analyzing the digital connection, and WMC froze and then crashed. The only way to get out was to reboot with a ctl-alt-del, but then when shutting down, the computer froze there too. Things were still unstable after the reboot. When I try to start the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, nothing happens. Literally. Task manager says the process is running, but there is no tool. I try uninstalling items, thinking maybe there are some processes (like MediaBrowser) that are interfering. Uninstall crashes and hangs. More reboots are required, but the system hangs at reboot. Manual restarts are necessary. Even shutting down after initial start up won't work.

I finally give up and perform a system restore to before the Ceton drivers were installed--and everything is fine after that. I immediately start by uninstalling any item that's running a non-critical background process. I reinstall the drivers, rerun the card installation in WMC, and this time, at least the Diagnostic Tool starts up. First thing I notice is that I'm being told to request the CCV code again. Okay, fine. But it also says that my tuning adapter (a Motorola) is insufficient for four streams. That's...not right. I have the tool update the firmware for the Ceton, and it starts...and then crashes again on reboot. Hangs for about 10 minutes. I pull out a book to wait it out, see if it's just slow...eventually get a BSOD saying "Driver power state failure", before reboot.

Current status is that the system can't shut down by itself. I'm receiving no channels. After the last reboot, the Diagnostic Tool won't start again. WMC is crashing frequently, and the HTPC is on the border of uselessness. Is this behavior so out of the ordinary that should be writing Ceton with a trouble ticket? Should I be trying something else?

Please refer to my post #591 2nd paragraph. I might be completely wrong. But please look into your MB manual and see the PCI slot you have Ceton there now, is there anything to do with the network/LAN resources a.k.a IRQ resources? Your Ceton might be fighting with the IRQ resources with your MB network/LAN resources now. Also, please post your MB, CPU info etc... Thank you.
post #648 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Same here and my router is 192.168.1.1 and only 50 users allowed, so the IP address wil not go up and affected Ceton IP 192.168.200.1 unless you have some device and static assigned 192.168.200.1. Do you?

That's....a very good question. In fact, now that I think about it, that may be the problem. I can't say for sure, but ironically, my old Tivo might be statically assigned to that address (some of the old Tivo units seem to prefer a static connection). Heck, it might have been assigned to that address when the Ceton came online.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how that would prevent the diagnostic tool from opening, but if it's that simple, it's certainly worth a shot. I'll report back if that fixes it.
post #649 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Please refer to my post #591 2nd paragraph. I might be completely wrong. But please look into your MB manual and see the PCI slot you have Ceton there now, is there anything to do with the network/LAN resources a.k.a IRQ resources? Your Ceton might be fighting with the IRQ resources with your MB network/LAN resources now. Also, please post your MB, CPU info etc... Thank you.

I'll take a look when I get home.

Current setup:

Intel I3-2100
MSI H67MA-E35(B3)
PNY DDR3 1600 XLR8 2x2GB
Antec Greenwatts 380W power supply
Hitachi Deskstar 2tb drive

...and that's about it. No other cards or add ons.
post #650 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's....a very good question. In fact, now that I think about it, that may be the problem. I can't say for sure, but ironically, my old Tivo might be statically assigned to that address (some of the old Tivo units seem to prefer a static connection). Heck, it might have been assigned to that address when the Ceton came online.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how that would prevent the diagnostic tool from opening, but if it's that simple, it's certainly worth a shot. I'll report back if that fixes it.

Power down the Tivo and see how the Ceton performs first.
post #651 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Well, it's not the networking. Tivo is dynamically assigned, and at any rate, there are no ip's of 192.168.200.1 on the network. Looks like everything on the network is dynamic, so I don't see how a conflict could be the problem.
post #652 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, it's not the networking. Tivo is dynamically assigned, and at any rate, there are no ip's of 192.168.200.1 on the network. Looks like everything on the network is dynamic, so I don't see how a conflict could be the problem.

Think harder, any other i devices, printer...? If not, then please try post 647.
post #653 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 PM

is there a way to "capture" video from this card into an unprotected file?

my last setup I was using a cable DVR and capturing with an HD PVR to the computer
I understand this card replaces the DVR, but is it necessary to capture the output using a separate capture device? or can you do it internally?
post #654 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender17 View Post

is there a way to "capture" video from this card into an unprotected file?

my last setup I was using a cable DVR and capturing with an HD PVR to the computer
I understand this card replaces the DVR, but is it necessary to capture the output using a separate capture device? or can you do it internally?

Yes, you'd do just the same as w/ your HD PVR and STB but you'd use a PC in place of the STB.

This doesn't replace the DVR, it is just a tuner card that uses a M-card to so you can view encrypted streams/channels 4 at 1 time, your PC will still be the DVR.

post #655 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Think harder, any other i devices, printer...? If not, then please try post 647.

Nope, no printer. Right now, according to the router interface, the only thing on the network is my personal computer (.1.18), the Tivo (.1.3) and a Wii(.1.2)

As far as the IRQ resources, there's nothing in the BIOS that allows changing or messing with that. Just in case, I changed the card from the PCIE x16 slot to the PCIE x1 slot...made no difference.

Next step was to do everything one at a time, attempting a reboot after every step to see exactly where the problem occurred. I restored back to the point before installing the drivers.

First I ran the digital cable advisor tool. No problems. Reboot.

Next, I installed the drivers. Diagnostic tool ran fine. Reboot.

Updated the firmware. No problem. Reboot.

Ran diagnostic tool again, only red x's I saw were that the card needed a CCV signal, that the card hadn't been configured to run in MCE, and that there needed to be more tuning adapters.

Started MCE, ran the setup. Everything installed fine. Asked for the CCV signal. Charter sends it, I have the diagnostic tool open. Nothing changes in the diagnostic tool. I try restarting, still no change. Charter tries again, no change. I decide to try again later, once I'm sure everything is installed. I finish up the installation, close MCE. Diagnostic tool is still starting up, says the same thing.

Reboot. Start diagnostic tool....and diagnostic tool doesn't start. I don't even start MCE and try to reboot. System is currently hanging at the shut down procedure.

So, somewhere during the setting up of the signal, things are going horribly, horribly wrong.

One more thing of note: when shutting down, I get a brief message that windows is waiting for a program to close, but the program close list is completely empty.
post #656 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Yes, you'd do just the same as w/ your HD PVR and STB but you'd use a PC in place of the STB.

This doesn't replace the DVR, it is just a tuner card that uses a M-card to so you can view encrypted streams/channels 4 at 1 time, your PC will still be the DVR.

what's a STB?
why would you need a DVR if you have a HTPC with a Ceton card?

here is the current setup

and this is what I am trying to figure out
I thought I could replace the DVR with a Ceton card in the HTPC
if so, how do I capture the output?
post #657 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

@bjchavez

Once you get to the point you're having issues what happens if you leave the PC off for awhile? How's the air flow in your case? Do you have another PC you could put the Ceton in?

@Ender17

STB=set top box=cable box

Again the PC is the DVR, I said nothing about needing a DVR but point out the Ceton is nothing but a tuner and has no DVR function on it's.

I was thinking you could put a video card w/ component outputs in a PC that using the Ceton as tuner and connect it to the HD PVR, and you could get override DCA but you still might be able to play the recordings due to no HDCP, I don't know if using AnyDVD will fix the HDCP for TV like it can for BD or if just have the video card w/ component as a secondary disply to another HDCP compliant one. If neither one of those would work an extender w/ comonpent outs would.

post #658 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:

@bjchavez

Once you get to the point you're having issues what happens if you leave the PC off for awhile? How's the air flow in your case? Do you have another PC you could put the Ceton in?

Nothing changes if I leave the PC off for a while. Airflow is fine. Plenty of room in the case, and besides, shortly before I had the problems, the diagnostic tool showed the temp operating within normal parameters. The only way that could be an issue is if the temp jumped 20 degrees in a couple minutes.

That said, I think the issue is Playready. After restoring again, I held off on installing the drivers and diagnostic tool, and installed Playready first. That was fine, and everything acted normal. Then I installed the drivers. Immediate problems--the computer couldn't even reboot again.

So, drivers by themselves: no problem.
Playready by itself: no problem.
Drivers + Playready: Big problems.

Now, I *really* don't know what to do.
post #659 of 4811 Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing changes if I leave the PC off for a while. Airflow is fine. Plenty of room in the case, and besides, shortly before I had the problems, the diagnostic tool showed the temp operating within normal parameters. The only way that could be an issue is if the temp jumped 20 degrees in a couple minutes.

That said, I think the issue is Playready. After restoring again, I held off on installing the drivers and diagnostic tool, and installed Playready first. That was fine, and everything acted normal. Then I installed the drivers. Immediate problems--the computer couldn't even reboot again.

So, drivers by themselves: no problem.
Playready by itself: no problem.
Drivers + Playready: Big problems.

Now, I *really* don't know what to do.

Have done a fresh install of win 7 or just been uninstalling and reinstalling things?

post #660 of 4811 Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 AM

bjchavez,

FYI, although my ceton seems to be functioning properly, I am having the same Charter CCV validation issue you described. I submitted a ticket and Ceton techs will contact Charter to resolve.

John
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page