Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeD1em500 View Post

Isn't there some other program that allows this? A 3rd party solution? Same concept, set a time (say, 3am) and all programs are moved from the HTPC to a remote location?

I use a script to move my recordings after they finish. However, this is all done on the same machine (OS drive to RAID storage), but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a networked drive as well. I simply created a custom event in Task Scheduler and pointed it to the script. I'm sure you could do the same thing for any time you wanted it to happen.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Liked: 12
Alright so Ceton had me remove Norton 360 ( now i'm without anti-virus software) And I upgraded to the latest and greatest everything. It working now but on the primary display the video is choppy, but on the xbox its smooth.

any clue to what could cause this.
post #723 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 178
You guys aren't making me want to jump ship from D* and go with Comcast and Ceton.

Does anyone actually have this working well with Comcast? WAF is the big driver here and I have the green light to make the jump.

post #724 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
You guys aren't making me want to jump ship from D* and go with Comcast and Ceton.

Does anyone actually have this working well with Comcast? WAF is the big driver here and I have the green light to make the jump.
Once you get the thing paired, everything is great. It's just that pairing process can be a PITA.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #725 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Mine is working fine, and Wife has been watching TV via the XBox for several weeks now w/o complaint. I have had some issues that turned out to be Comcast related (not Ceton) but Ceton support has been great - even swapping out my card with a bench tested one to ensure it was not their problem. I have swapped cable cards multiple times while troubleshooting and my experience with that has ranged from a single 5 minute call to several calls over 24 hours lasting over 30 minutes each.

Going from 2 HDDVR's to the Ceton solution has knocked over 40 a month off my bill.
post #726 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM

Liked: 10
anyone using this card with a slingbox?
is it possible to output via HDMI and component simultaneously?

edit: found this thread which has some good info
http://answers.slingbox.com/thread/3121
post #727 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Does anyone know how the PCI-E Link State Power Management setting in Windows Power control panel will effect the Ceton? I'm working the kinks out of a new htpc build and just got this Ceton, I'm still figuring out what settings effect what. But I notice in the InfiniTV device webpage it says Power Status: Full Power. Does the card ever go into a power saving mode and will the windows setting help it go into that mode? Does the Ceton resume quickly and properly?
post #728 of 4811 Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I am surprised no one has commented on new release firmware and drivers. Maybe this has been floating around a few days. Anyway, I had an evening without any drop from a channel to a subscription needed blue screen. One night is not a long test. Some of that problem is clearly Comcast but it also seemed like a timing/buffer issue. The change log is a joke btw, 2 lines.

Just another blank signature.
post #729 of 4811 Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:

I use a script to move my recordings after they finish. However, this is all done on the same machine (OS drive to RAID storage), but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a networked drive as well. I simply created a custom event in Task Scheduler and pointed it to the script. I'm sure you could do the same thing for any time you wanted it to happen.

Do you have your script just run at a time of day you know your recordings will be finished, or does it somehow trigger by the completion of a record?

I tried a script using Robocopy and running it every 15 minutes, but the problem I had was it would copy partial files if it ran in the middle of a recording. This would create unneeded network traffic. I was hoping it would simply skip any files that were locked because they were in-use, but it did not.

Instead I'm using MCEFileMover which seems to be working great, but I would definitely prefer a script if I could get some logic in there.

Thanks
post #730 of 4811 Old 08-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loci03 View Post

Alright so Ceton had me remove Norton 360 ( now i'm without anti-virus software) And I upgraded to the latest and greatest everything. It working now but on the primary display the video is choppy, but on the xbox its smooth.

any clue to what could cause this.

Ahh So Ceton support has been spot on. It appears to be my Denon 1312CI that is causing the video to be choppy. No idea why though. Anyone else have issues like this?

When connected directly to the TV its no problem.
post #731 of 4811 Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I am surprised no one has commented on new release firmware and drivers. Maybe this has been floating around a few days. Anyway, I had an evening without any drop from a channel to a subscription needed blue screen. One night is not a long test. Some of that problem is clearly Comcast but it also seemed like a timing/buffer issue. The change log is a joke btw, 2 lines.

I've been going days at at time without issue followed by days where almost every recording is 'partial'. For what it is worth, my brother was complaining about the same issues and he uses Comcast provided equipment - not a Ceton. It is really looking like the 'subscription required' issues are a Comcast one and not a Ceton one - but Ceton is looking at this closely.
post #732 of 4811 Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

Do you have your script just run at a time of day you know your recordings will be finished, or does it somehow trigger by the completion of a record?

Thanks

The custom event (which is the activation of the script) is triggered by the end of the recording. There are 2 separate triggers in the custom event, 1 for a scheduled recording and 1 for a manually started and stopped recording. I initially found the event setup process somewhere here on AVS but I honestly don't remember where. I am out of town for the weekend, but if Monday rolls around and you're still looking, I will be more than happy to provide a walkthrough of the event configuration as well as my script text.

Good luck!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #733 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

But I notice in the InfiniTV device webpage it says Power Status: Full Power. Does the card ever go into a power saving mode and will the windows setting help it go into that mode? Does the Ceton resume quickly and properly?

I am also having sleep issues with my system. After going to sleep it seems that the system comes back up fine, but the connections to the Cox cable don't always come back up properly. Just setting it to Never sleep works fine, but obviously wastes power. Cox uses SDV, and the Cisco two tuning adapters they provided in the system are probably most of the problem.

Also, I understand that new firmware in the TA's means I now only need one, but removing one causes the system to no longer tune properly. The InfiniTV diagnostic shows that all four tuners are now assigned to one of the TA's, but apparently the way Cox still has them both paired to my system, removing one doesn't work. A couple of weeks ago, all tuners were on TA #1, and now they have "moved" to #2. I asked Cox about redoing the pairing, but they apparently don't want to bother... maybe I need to call again later and hopefully talk to someone else.

Ben Sanford
post #734 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

I've been going days at at time without issue followed by days where almost every recording is 'partial'. For what it is worth, my brother was complaining about the same issues and he uses Comcast provided equipment - not a Ceton. It is really looking like the 'subscription required' issues are a Comcast one and not a Ceton one - but Ceton is looking at this closely.

One of the things I think people miss is that there is an internal splitter to support the 4 tuners. I was at my brother's house where he was getting the umpteenth visit from Comcast. He is having troubles with both his internet and the Ceton. His worst time of day is 2 - 6 PM. The Ceton was unwatchable it wasn't dropping to a blue screen but was pixelating like heck. The Tech went and fooled with the external splitter but the web pages was showing the signal down -13.5 dBmV.. Right at 6 PM while the tech was there the pixelation quit and the picture was stable. When the tech measures the signal he is saying it is high enough but he does not realize that there are is a 4 way splitter internally. I did not start to get reasonable service until I put a +15 dB Motorola Drop Amp inline.

Now my brother has multiple issues and he is reluctant to patch around them because he wants to Comcast to fix things, particularly his internet which somedays is down half the day or dropping every five minutes. I long ago noticed that Comcast performance suffered in the afternoon. This was true with my Tivo HD as well, though it was quite tolerant of a much lower signal.

I have only seen on Blue Subscription screen since the new software. CNNHD in Houston seems to be the most problematic of the channels. Even with the Tivo there were afternoons where it was just freezing all the time. I pulled one splitter out and installed the Motorola. It is definitely up to production level for watching TV now.. is is good enough for extensive recording.. I can't say, but it is possible the new firmware and drivers might make that possible. In 7 hours of viewing yesterday I only saw the one Blue Subscription Required blue screen.. sure there was some pixelation on CNNHD but very little. The ball game was perfect.

I am in Cypress TX and my brother is in Tomball TX. The Comcast tech admitted they have a problem in my brother's neighborhood.. They admitted that weeks ago, yet they are still futzing with splitters at his hous. His problems have been escalated over and over again with the usual none results. He has an email address for excutive-vp.. I think he is about ready to use it. I would have a long time ago. I don't screw with these Comcast. I have a big chip on my shoulder with them from issue after issue. I go ballistic first and ask question second. It doesn't change any outcomes.. but if I have to suffer with every interaction then they will too.

The Comcast tech was working two houses on the same block as my brother with the same problems. The fact that the TV problems are worse in the afternon and have become much worse since the digital conversion tell me they have equipment issues. They are perhaps exacerbated by afternoon loading and the recent heat wave.

post #735 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

( now i'm without anti-virus software)

FYI, the free Microsoft Security Essentials works with no issues with the Ceton.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #736 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 178
OK, I've got Comcast scheduled for install in a week so I'll pick up a Ceton between now and then.

My question is back to storing RecordedTV on my server. Instead of using iSCSI to create a virtual drive on the HTPC I was thinking of using DVRMSToolbox.

If using DVRMSToolbox can I have the recorded TV shows write locally to my HTPC (64GB SSD drive with about 40GB free) and then when finished DVRMSToolbox will scan for commercials and then move it to a drive on my server. The drive on my server would be included in the RecordedTV folders in MediaCenter. Would that work?

post #737 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

FYI, the free Microsoft Security Essentials works with no issues with the Ceton.

Do you know how I can get the Denon to work? The Video is extremely choppy. But on my extender its perfect. Ceton still hasn't gotten back to me. They said removing the Denon would work which it did. But that can't be the solution.
post #738 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

I am also having sleep issues with my system. After going to sleep it seems that the system comes back up fine, but the connections to the Cox cable don't always come back up properly. Just setting it to Never sleep works fine, but obviously wastes power. Cox uses SDV, and the Cisco two tuning adapters they provided in the system are probably most of the problem.

Running the server and all clients 24/7 bothers me too. I didn't want to replace the power wasting STB(s) with something just as bad. I've uploaded a script package (SleepMod.zip) that lets a Ceton InfiniTV4 media server and clients of the server SLEEP during periods of inactivity without breaking the network tuner configuration.

One thing I didn't mention in the docs however is that I'm using static IP addresses for all the boxes (server and clients) and "DHCP client" for the Ceton tuner. I don't think a static IP address is necessary however for the script to work.

I'm also NOT running tuning adapters (I'm using FIOS), but I still need to run the scripts below to get sleep to work properly. Hopefully Ceton is working on drivers/firmware that support sleep.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ij5jv...SleepMod16.zip
post #739 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

I've been using a Ceton for almost 1yr now and I've had no issues w/ sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #740 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I just got my Ceton up and working fine but it seems to me that the PQ was a little better on my TiVo HD.

What are you guys doing to get the best possible picture quality. I see there are some video decoder such as halli and madvr but they can't work for live TV right?

I'm using a GT 430 for my hdmi out to 58" Samsung plasma.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #741 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Do you know how I can get the Denon to work? The Video is extremely choppy. But on my extender its perfect. Ceton still hasn't gotten back to me. They said removing the Denon would work which it did. But that can't be the solution.

You might try over at the Denon XXCI thread. There are a couple guys there who are very knowledgeable and responsive when it comes to issues with those AVRs.

post #742 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Liked: 148
Quote:

I used to have a 3808CI before it gave up the ghost. Try plugging the HTPC into the HDMI port closest to the output HDMI port. For me it was HDMI 4. I had many issues until I used that port.
post #743 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
I just got my Ceton up and working fine but it seems to me that the PQ was a little better on my TiVo HD.

What are you guys doing to get the best possible picture quality. I see there are some video decoder such as halli and madvr but they can't work for live TV right?

I'm using a GT 430 for my hdmi out to 58" Samsung plasma.
Are your levels set correctly and is your display able to handle PC levels? MadVR is a renderer and there is no way that I know of to use with the Ceton. If someone works that out I am very interested. JRiver lets you use madVR with ASTC content. I think you can play back Ceton recordings of non-protected content with madVR in JRvier. Haven't really investigated because I don't record that much. The Cyberlink decoder can be used in Media Center and looks pretty good. Only madVR is magicl, the rest is just getting the levels correct and one to one pixel matching.

Also make sure you are running in Just Scan or whatever the 1 to 1 pixel match mode is. Scaling makes a mess of things.

post #744 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

Also, I understand that new firmware in the TA's means I now only need one, but removing one causes the system to no longer tune properly. The InfiniTV diagnostic shows that all four tuners are now assigned to one of the TA's, but apparently the way Cox still has them both paired to my system, removing one doesn't work. A couple of weeks ago, all tuners were on TA #1, and now they have "moved" to #2. I asked Cox about redoing the pairing, but they apparently don't want to bother... maybe I need to call again later and hopefully talk to someone else.

Ben Sanford
I set a record timer for pre-season football and went to work, the pc is set to sleep so I'm assuming it did, then woke up properly and was still recording when I got home. So all is good on that front. However even though it was recording, when I got home I tried to go to Live TV and got a decoder error in WMC. I closed the window and restarted it and it was fine. The recording wasn't effected.
Today I came home and woke the pc from sleep and hit Live TV and got the decoder error again. I had to close WMC and restart and it worked. I've noticed others mentioning this problem so I have some reading to do.

But as a side note, you guys should be checking to see what channels are switched digital. If none of the channels you watch are, then just put the adapter off to the side somewhere until you really need it. As of now, Cox San Diego only has very unpopular channels I don't watch on sdv so mine isn't even hooked up.
post #745 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 PM

I have an issue whenever the HTPC reboots after a Windows update. When I start WMC again, it looks like it has forgotten all the tuner setups. I have to go back to the Ceton tuner setup, take it back to the factory settings and the restart the whole process of setting up the tuners. When it reboots and I open the tuner setup page, it shows me the IP address which seems to come from the DHCP. On that setting, I don't get any live TV and it keeps showing that no tuner was recognized. If I reset the tuners back to the factory settings and restart, it gives me the IP address of 192.168.200.1 and then the setup goes smoothly and everything is back on track. The whole process of course takes about 5 minutes, during which I can hear a bit of foot tapping and "this never happened before we got this...". Is there any way to restore the settings to the original setting without going through all the malarkey? Or am I condemned to doing this every time Windows goes through an automatic update which then shuts down and restarts my system?
post #746 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post
Today I came home and woke the pc from sleep and hit Live TV and got the decoder error again. I had to close WMC and restart and it worked. I've noticed others mentioning this problem so I have some reading to do.
From this description, it seems like you are using the tuner locally (i.e., no streaming over a network), correct? If so, are you giving the tuner approx. 25 seconds to initialize after the computer awakens from sleep, but before starting WMC?
post #747 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekhar View Post
I have an issue whenever the HTPC reboots after a Windows update. When I start WMC again, it looks like it has forgotten all the tuner setups. I have to go back to the Ceton tuner setup, take it back to the factory settings and the restart the whole process of setting up the tuners. When it reboots and I open the tuner setup page, it shows me the IP address which seems to come from the DHCP. On that setting, I don't get any live TV and it keeps showing that no tuner was recognized. If I reset the tuners back to the factory settings and restart, it gives me the IP address of 192.168.200.1 and then the setup goes smoothly and everything is back on track.
From this description, it seems like you are streaming video from a server (containing the InfiniTV4 configured for network tuning) over the network to a remote, client machine, correct? If so, while streaming, you do not want the server and/or client to re-boot or go to sleep because that would break the network tuning configuration. Change the windows update option so that you only get notified of updates. Then at a time when you are NOT streaming, perform the updates.
post #748 of 4811 Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Liked: 148
I am curious what hardware version everyone has. Using the diagnostic tool,it says I have hardware version 4884.
post #749 of 4811 Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I am curious what hardware version everyone has. Using the diagnostic tool,it says I have hardware version 4884.

Same here 4884.
post #750 of 4811 Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Same 4884 here.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page