Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4811 Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't know how I missed the release of this card. I came across it by accident Sept 1 while looking for a simple qam tuner, what rock have I been hiding under. I did some quick research, called Comcast to confirm the self install for the cable card was available, don't call it a m card or multi-cast card, and like others mentioned, say you have a Tivo, makes life easier. I purchased the Ceton card from my local Microcenter and picked up the cable card Sept 2 on my lunch break, awesome, Comcast confirmed no charge on the first card. After working through some technical difficulties with my case Friday night, the CC slot on the turner did not line up correctly with the slot on the Foxconn R10-G3 barebones, instead of pulling out the dremel, I made a quick run to frys and picked up the Sugo SG05-B, which was perfect for the Foxconn MB (I assume its DTX MB similar to ITX with 2 PCi slots) and with better cooling. With the Setup ready to go in the new case Saturday am, made a quick call to Comcast to activate the card, 20 minutes later, on hold for 15 minutes, the card was activated and I was surfing.

The network tuning wizard for setting up additional HTPC's went through almost without a hitch, you can complete the network turning wizard without ever running the DCA tool, so I wasn't getting all the channels, but after reading the turner card instructions again, realized the issue, ran the tool, and I was surfing again. Also, when selecting the cable source, I had two Comcast options, I selected the first option, and was missing some channels, go with the Comcast world of more (WOM) and that will do it.

I ran into the 29/59 Frame rate glitch on CBSHD, AMCHD, and TMCHD, ( I don't have the premium channels, HBO etc) both of my HTPC's were running a Radeon 5450, diamond in the host PC and powercolor in the client, my client PC is running an i3-550, I pulled the 5450, and the problem was resolved using the integrated graphics, turned off the dynamic contrast on the host PC using the 5450, and that seemed to have cleared up 97% of the problem, I no longer see the flicker, but I'm thinking there's still some slight judder or maybe it's just in my head, will know more when the new season of shows start up, I haven't told the wife, so she will not be looking for it, but if it's there she'll see it

I ran the WHS media center connector with my HP MSS WHS V1, setup archiving for recordings, works great, ran in to one minor issue were the archiving was failing, reinstalled the connector, back in business. As an FYI, This only works for copy freely, and copy once will stay on the PC that it was recorded on.

Here's where I'm scratching my head, what's the best setup, run the turner In dedicated server, i.e. WHS2011, or maintain the current setup with the host PC also serving as an HTPC. I'm having sleep issues on the host, had little time to trouble shoot, but the host will randomly wake up from sleep, ran powercfg -lastwake cmd and it did list MCE recording as the culprit, but it was awake before the scheduled recording time by a few hours, (according to my whs lights out addin) also, looking at the lights out add in on my whs, the host PC has waken 4 days at exactly 1:30 PM, my wife was home Friday, and noticed that the video was going in and out for about a minute, at 1:30 but then it was fine, didn't see anything in the event viewer, very peculiar, but assume I solve the sleep issues on the host, I still have the client, when the host is asleep, the client PC is SOL, is there a simple solution to wake the host when watching TV on client? I'm not that PC savvy, but I can follow directions very well. Maybe the HDhomerun prime wins in this category.

Host system - I'm running a w7 32 Foxconn R10-G3 (newegg) E5300 with 4gb (was 2gbs), 250GB 2.5in 7.2K HDD radeon 5450 as the host. CPU usage is a bit high, stays round 30-40% using one tuner, and the GPU utilization is around 70-85% on HD channels, GPU temps are70-78c, Ceton card stays around 53-55c, I have the host sitting in front of the entertainment center , plenty of airflow at the moment, The GPU utilization is very high, are other seeing this on the hos? Also, when watching one channel, and then recording two others on the host, the CPU will stay around 50-60%, and spike ever so often to 80-90%. Acceptable but higher then I would like. I'm just under the recommend speed on the cpu, 2.7, but I might upgrade to an e5800, I've upgraded to 4GB's (3.25 useable), but on a 32 bit system, I think 2GB's was more than enough, ceton recommends a min of 3gb, at 2gbs I had anywhere from 0-500mb memory free, 1-1.25mb is usually all that's allocated. I'm not seeing any improvements, but I only have 1 dimm slot, options are limited for this board.

Client PC- w7 32 ITX ECS H55H-i i3-550, 2gb's, 320gb 2.5in 7.2k HDD, IGP (was using 5450). Before removing the 5450, GPU utilization was around 40-50%, and temps were around 60-65, which is no different than running XBMC, I didn't check the CPU usage with the 5450, with the IGP, I'm around 15-18% with one tuner assigned, not too bad. Now that I'm running the IGP I might make this the host PC, but the tuner will set right on top of the PSU, so I may have an issue with heat, but all this hinges on the dedicated box question.

I'd like to get this guy as a client PC, size is awesome, but I need confirmation from other users that it will do Netflix, and I'm set.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856176026
Here are some windows index scores, the E-350 (725 CPU passmark) some reviews mention that there are issues running Netflix but it does fine MCE and ceton, you get more CPU with I3-330um (CPU 1196 passmark), but lower scores in the GPU.
http://www.yugatech.com/blog/persona...vs-intels-cpu/
Sorry for the log post, but I hope this helps anyone else looking to setup a HTPC(s) with the ceton tuner, and dealing with Comcast in the Atlanta area.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4811 Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, wanted to add my experience to the mix since it seems kinda unique based on the rest of the thread.

I'm on Time Warner SoCal (Corona). I went down to the cable office to pick up my self install kit. I said I needed a self install kit with tuning adapter since I watch several of these channels. She came back with the card and their little install pamphlet, but no TA. Hmm is this a clue or just another employee that doesn't know their own equipment? I repeat that I need a tuning adapter and she went and got one and I'm on my way.

I installed the card on the 1st and everything went smoothly til I got to the calling the cable company part (but that's another post ). After pairing/activating the card I got off the phone and started trying to tune in some channels. I had not installed the tuning adapter yet because I had read here about the Ceton not liking a weak signal and I wanted to see what the channels I could tune looked like and check the signal in the web interface before splitting the signal for the TA. I have HDMI out from my ATI GPU to my AVR and had the bug where I couldn't get anything until I set my PC sound as stereo as discussed previously in this thread. Once I got that fixed I started getting channels. Now, I had been having a lot of pixelation/blockiness and audio dropouts on my cable DVR which is one reason I wanted to get rid of it--along with only 2 tuners and 25 hrs HD capacity. Well, I wasn't noticing any improvement in the picture, but I had always suspected a weak signal anyway so I checked it and it was indeed around -10dB on the Ceton tuners. I definitely didn't want to split that further with the TA until I got a signal booster, so I decided to just mess around without one until I did. I decided to go through every channel to make sure I was getting all the channels I was supposed to and confirm the EPG was correct. Here's what this whole post has been leading up to: I was getting everything! Every channel I was subscribed to was coming in including the SDV channels! How is this possible? My understanding was that you must have 2 way communication for SDV/On Demand/PPV to work. I tried to tune channel 1 for On Demand but that didn't work. I always wondered why a cable card couldn't do the SDV request itself, maybe they've been updated? Maybe TW website is lying and they aren't using SDV yet? Did that employee know something? I would be interested to know if any other TW SoCal customers are out there with tuning adapters. You might want to try unhooking it and see what happens. I hadn't posted before now because I keep expecting it to stop working, but it's been 11 days now and everything is still tunable.

One issue I am having is that it is taking a really long time to change channels. I remember when we got digital cable the first time it seemed like it took a long time to switch channels, but I got used to it and don't even notice anymore. This however is taking about 5-6 seconds to change channels and did not improve once I installed the signal booster (though it did get my signal over 0dB). Could this be caused by not having a TA? It happens on all channels though. I supposed I could install it and see, but I don't watch much live TV (that's why I bought the Ceton ) so I suppose I could live with long channel changes. Based on what I've read here, that sounds better than adding the complexity of a TA if i don't absolutely need it.

Anyway, that's my experience so far with the card. I'm really happy with it. 7MC interface is SOO much nicer than Motorola box SD interface. I'll be making another post about advice on where to house it permanently as I just installed it in my main PC for the time being.

Time Warner customers (or anyone else), let me know if you can get the SDV channels without the tuning adapter. I want this mystery solved

Thanks,
Jon
post #903 of 4811 Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I'll make a short post to break things up...

Is there a way to delete multiple recordings at once in Title view? Like when you see "Show I Want to Delete (5)" how to delete all five shows without having to go in and do it one at a time?

post #904 of 4811 Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Is there a way to delete multiple recordings at once in Title view? Like when you see "Show I Want to Delete (5)" how to delete all five shows without having to go in and do it one at a time?

Please let me know if you find a way to do that in WMC. I've been doing that in Windows Explorer, the old way, highlight them and drag them to my trash.
post #905 of 4811 Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:

Not that I have found.
post #906 of 4811 Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 AM

I can't seem to get ESPN HD on my Ceton Tuner anymore. It used to work and just stopped working. Signal strength seems okay +2.3 and 34.1db noise. I get like ESPN2HD - regular ESPN SD etc. If you try to tune to it in the Ceton web page it seems to work.

I have time warner cable in NYC. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this...that would be great.
post #907 of 4811 Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 video decoder works perfectly in WMC for me both with ATSC from N HD Homerun and with Comcast Digital Cable via the Ceton board including channels with copy once flags. I used MPC-HC to set the PD DVD 10 decoder to use hardware deinterlacing.

How did you get this to work? I thought that the MS decoder was a lock in Win 7 MC. I would like to try it with my Ceton.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver & Emotiva XPA-200 Amp
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #908 of 4811 Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are Ceton prices expected to drop now that the HD HR Primes are out?
post #909 of 4811 Old 09-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked: 169
They already did.
post #910 of 4811 Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is installing network tuner sharing the only way to access the diagnostics web page from another PC on the network?

My Ceton is in my HTPC so I don't need to share tuners, but would like to be able to pull up the diagnostic page without having to touch the HTPC (RDP or minimize/close WMC).

post #911 of 4811 Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Are Ceton prices expected to drop now that the HD HR Primes are out?

Per tuner it's already cheaper, what more do you expect?

Quote:

Is installing network tuner sharing the only way to access the diagnostics web page from another PC on the network?

My Ceton is in my HTPC so I don't need to share tuners, but would like to be able to pull up the diagnostic page without having to touch the HTPC (RDP or minimize/close WMC).

No you only need to bridge the Ceton to your NIC for it to show on your entire netwrok.

post #912 of 4811 Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM

I am looking for advice on the pros/cons of housing the Ceton in a small dedicated DVR box vs. a home server.

I like the idea of just replacing my cable DVR with another box in the same place, but am worried about the heat issue in a small box in my TV console (or noise from fans to mitigate the heat issue). Have other user gone this route? What case, etc. are you using? Is it quiet? What are the temps?

On the other hand, I am going to be building a home server anyway to house my CD and DVD backups; would it be better to just put it in there and use extenders? I already have 2 Xboxes and can get another no problem.

Can a gigabit network handle say (worst case) 1 live HDTV stream, 1 Blue-Ray stream, 1 HD cable recording and someone else gaming at the same time? I have gotten "network issue" in Media Center several times when only 1 stream and some web browsing was going on. Every time I ran the network tuner though, it says acceptable performance and I get full bars on the throughput thingy.

How much horsepower would a server need to do that much streaming? Any more than it would otherwise, or is serving live HDTV same difference as serving a file and it's more the network capabilities that matter. I know servers don't need a lot of RAM/CPU normally.

I know this question is more HTPC and home network related, but since the advice I need is about where I want to put the Ceton, I put it here. Should I move it or post it multiple places? I'm still new to posting in these forums

I am still a newb with some of this stuff (esp. home networking) so excuse any dumb questions. Thanks,
Jon
post #913 of 4811 Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM

I have a a WHS 2011 that is running on an i3 2100 with a z68 motherboard (mismatch I know - got it more for raid than anything else while supporting onboard video out for initial setup on i3. I ran a Ceton successfully off there (no issues recording 4 HD streams over the network onto the MCE client while serving two squeezebox clients & saving RAW files across network to WHS box with Lightroom), but discovered that any time there was a reboot (updates, software installation, what have you) the client MCE machines needed to be rebooted to resync their ability to see the Ceton. That was reason enough for me to place it back in the MCE chassis I pulled it out of from a WAF factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaines View Post

I am looking for advice on the pros/cons of housing the Ceton in a small dedicated DVR box vs. a home server....

post #914 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

No you only need to bridge the Ceton to your NIC for it to show on your entire netwrok.

OK, I tried bridging the Ceton to my NIC and was able to pull up the diagnostic page on another PC on my network.

I used this guide and followed steps 1-12.

WMC then needed to rediscover the tuners so I went through the TV signal setup again (which caused me to lose my customization in the guide). Once setup it wouldn't display any signal even though the diagnostic tool showed it was pulling in a signal.

It was getting close to time for the prime time shows to begin to record so I had to throw in the towel, delete the network bridge, and reset the Ceton's network configuration.

It looks like I probably did need to run the network tuner client after bridging the adapters.

post #915 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not that savvy when it comes to the advance features of PC's, but a solution that I would like to see is a simple wake on lan macro/service implemented on client PC's,when the client PC is powered on or resumed from sleep, it sends a packet to wake the host and then the opposite when the client PC is powered off or goes back to sleep.

I've come across a tool called MCE Stand by tool which has some interesting features for managing sleep, timed shut downs and reboots, but will not have time to give it a test drive until this weekend.

If there's an easier way, I'm game for that as well.

post #916 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM

I am having an issue, where a show is being recorded by the ceton and I watch a video or movie in Media Center. It seems like whenever I watch a video, the recording show will stop recording right then. If I watch the partial recording, at the end it will say week signal. This time lines right up with when I started watching a movie/video. This is an i3-540 using integrated video through HDMI, 8gb ram, separate hard drive for recording. I'm wondering if its some issue with a codec or audio that might not allow a recording and playing something else (in a different/same format) at the same time? Anyone else run into this?
post #917 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

How did you get this to work? I thought that the MS decoder was a lock in Win 7 MC. I would like to try it with my Ceton.

I just used Win7filtertweaker and selected PowerDVD 10 instead of the MS decoder. I have LAV CUVID as option too but you will likely run into some weirdness with it. PowerDVD 10 Decoder works great. You do need PD DVD10 Ultra already installed on the box. CNBCHD is running in the other room on the Mits 82" DLP. That is a protected channel on Comcast in Houston.

I am not running Cyberlink's Decoder on the box I am typing this on because I don't have that many licenses for PowerDVD 10.

3 of my 6 clients have PowerDVD 10 on them, 3 don't nor does, the WHS 2011 server or the Microcenter Sandy Bridge Box hosting the Ceton.

BW I had a power surge/interruption and Ceton would not work after that. Finally got it working in a client and had to reimage the Microcenter box from the server backup to get the Ceton oprerational again. Somehow this is still not an appliance no matter what you do. I am looking forward to the Prime as it may offer more resillience.

Just another blank signature.
post #918 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
I'm starting my HTPC build, and I've seen instances where Micro ATX cases are tight fits for the Ceton.

I'm currently looking at the SilverStone Micro ATX GD05B. I'm not interested in any cutting or manual reconfiguration, and if I need a 120mm fan, I'll need to accommodate that as well, although I'll only be handling the Ceton, one SDD, one HDD, and NO video card [i32100] on an H67 MoBo. Perhaps a second NIC.

Price [within reason] and size are not limitations.

What does the group recommend?

Kurt
post #919 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I'm not that savvy when it comes to the advance features of PC's, but a solution that I would like to see is a simple wake on lan macro/service implemented on client PC's,when the client PC is powered on or resumed from sleep, it sends a packet to wake the host and then the opposite when the client PC is powered off or goes back to sleep.

I've come across a tool called MCE Stand by tool which has some interesting features for managing sleep, timed shut downs and reboots, but will not have time to give it a test drive until this weekend.

If there's an easier way, I'm game for that as well.

Yeah, I don't think MCE will do all that. Just write a a wake on lan (WOL) script to execute at login via task scheduler. My WOL script is manually executed, but I could just as easily schedule it to execute at login (of a particular account).

As for shutting down the server, you don't want one client shutting down the server if there's a chance other clients are using the server. I had to write a powershell script to put the server to sleep by monitoring network usage at the server (for remote streaming to clients) and by monitoring whether media center is running (in case someone is watching TV on a display locally attached to the server).
post #920 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I just used Win7filtertweaker and selected PowerDVD 10 instead of the MS decoder.

I have a copy of power DVD 11. Is it the same as version 10?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver & Emotiva XPA-200 Amp
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #921 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=dbailey75;20938637]
I ran the WHS media center connector with my HP MSS WHS V1, setup archiving for recordings, works great, ran in to one minor issue were the archiving was failing, reinstalled the connector, back in business. As an FYI, This only works for copy freely, and copy once will stay on the PC that it was recorded on.
QUOTE]

Need to make one edit, I can archive copy once or copy protected material to my WHS, but only the PC that did the recording can play it back.

post #922 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolodomo View Post

Yeah, I don't think MCE will do all that. Just write a a wake on lan (WOL) script to execute at login via task scheduler. My WOL script is manually executed, but I could just as easily schedule it to execute at login (of a particular account).

As for shutting down the server, you don't want one client shutting down the server if there's a chance other clients are using the server. I had to write a powershell script to put the server to sleep by monitoring network usage at the server (for remote streaming to clients) and by monitoring whether media center is running (in case someone is watching TV on a display locally attached to the server).

Your correct, I would not want the server/host pc to shut down but fall back in to a low power state, s3 or s4, after the the clint PC's were no longer in use, I've found some shut down utilites that can monitor your nic tracffic and put the host to sleep when activity gets below a predetermined level, etc, which I think would be a good option to try

I was looking at the MCE tool to figuere out why my pc's are waking up, the GUI makes it a little easier to look at all the options, and you can pull powercfg cmd information from with in the tool. nice options for those of us that are technically challenged.

post #923 of 4811 Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
I have a ceton card I bought in anticipation of a HTPC so I was looking for reco on solid HTPC to review with..any and all thoughts welcome.

In search of video bliss...
post #924 of 4811 Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

I have a copy of power DVD 11. Is it the same as version 10?

I can't answer that. I don't have 11 so I have not tried. I may have tried at one point with the trial version but I am not sure if the trial version allowed itself to be used externally, seems like it did not. But really, I just don't recall. I am not a big fan of PowerDVD in general for many reasons. Their video decoder seems okay. The apps are bloatware and Cyberlink as org is bunch of morons who don't really get it.

In any case, it is easy enough to find out, just google and download Win7DSFilterTweaker_4_6 and run it. Select the first radio button ( preferred filters) and look to see what filters are avaialble to decode MPEG2. If PowerDVD 11 is there and allows itself to be available to use outside of PowerDVD 11 it should show up as a selecteable item. Select it and save. Run WMC and see how it behaves it could be better, it could be worse. If it gives you problems just run the utility again and set it back to MS.

Now their is the issue of how do you set it to use hardware acceleration. If you have MPC-HC you can install the decoder temporarily as an external filter in MPC-HC and then double click it. It will expose a menu and you can configure the decoder for hardware acceleration and deinterlacing that way.

The above is the way I did it with 10.

Just another blank signature.
post #925 of 4811 Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

I'm starting my HTPC build, and I've seen instances where Micro ATX cases are tight fits for the Ceton.

I'm currently looking at the SilverStone Micro ATX GD05B. I'm not interested in any cutting or manual reconfiguration, and if I need a 120mm fan, I'll need to accommodate that as well, although I'll only be handling the Ceton, one SDD, one HDD, and NO video card [i32100] on an H67 MoBo. Perhaps a second NIC.

Price [within reason] and size are not limitations.

What does the group recommend?

Kurt

I recently built a system identical to what you describe. There was no trouble getting the Ceton to fit.

The case comes with 3 120mm fans installed. I run one off the motherboard header and the other two off of 7V. There was too much noise when running the fans off of 12V.
post #926 of 4811 Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I picked up an M-card from Comcast the other day, and set an afternoon aside to get the ball rolling on a Ceton InfiniTV with CableCARD inside a PC using Windows 7 Media Center.

The Ceton drivers and firmware are up to date, as is Windows. Digital Cable Advisor checks fine. The first problem I ran into was making sure that the CableCARD is properly inserted in the Ceton card. I put it in with the Motorola arrow facing up and toward the back of the PC case. (It wouldn't slide in any other way.) Is it supposed to stick out about 1/2-3/4", or is the edge of the CableCARD supposed to be flush with the surface of the Ceton card? I can't push it in all the way and don't want to force it for fear of breaking something. Neither the Ceton nor the Comcast instructions provide an illustration showing how the CableCARD should be inserted.

Assuming that I have it placed correctly, the next issue is that I could not get WMC to recognize the CableCARD. Ended up doing a manual install for the InfiniTV within WMC, and that way it does find the 4 tuners -- but it's a no-go when it gets to detecting the CableCARD.

In case it helps in providing an answer, I'm not interested in tuner sharing or networking (yet). One step at a time. For now I'll be happy if I can just get WMC to recognize the CableCARD so that we can watch on a single TV through it.

I'm not sure if it won't find the CableCARD because I haven't inserted it correctly, or for some other reason.

I also tried connecting two different coax cables leading into the Ceton dongle, and they didn't make any difference, so I doubt that it's the cabling.

Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated!
post #927 of 4811 Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

The cablecard does stick out about 1/4" as you noticed.

In the Ceton Diagnostics tool what does it say about the cablecard? It should say that it was detected once installed correctly. At that point you can call the cable company and get it activated.

post #928 of 4811 Old 09-17-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Win7 uses .wtv. .dvr-ms was Vista and MCE2005.

What about other software like SageTV? Do they use the AVI format or MKV container perhaps?

Also what is the compression used for the video (MPEG2, H.264)? OR does this depend on the provider (Comcast, WOW, Fios) and how they encode it on their end?

I am looking at getting one of these for WOW Cable TV service in my area. They rent the cablecards for $3.50 and presumably because you won't need their tuner thats included with Basic Promo they will give you a 6.99 credit.
post #929 of 4811 Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

here's an interesting plug in for media center that allows you to remotely put other PCs to sleep/or wake them with in media center.

http://vistamcpowermanager.oabsoftware.nl/

not the holy grail I was looking for, it manual and does not include WOl, but it does have some benefits.

post #930 of 4811 Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The cablecard does stick out about 1/4" as you noticed.

In the Ceton Diagnostics tool what does it say about the cablecard? It should say that it was detected once installed correctly. At that point you can call the cable company and get it activated.

Thanks for the scoop on the CableCARD insertion and the Diagnostics tool! I'd never really tried the tool -- I only picked up the CableCARD this week so there was no real need to poke around in there until now. Your saying it brought the tool back to mind.

Fortunately, I did have the card inserted correctly, no pins got bent or smashed in. More progress was made when I changed the Norton Internet Security network setting for the InfiniTV to "Full Trust," but I didn't get the process to actually work till I decided to try calling Comcast to pair/activate the CableCARD before setting up the TV signal in WMC, and only then going back to set up the signal. It slowly dawned on me that Ceton's instructions don't quite make sense -- my printout says to set up the TV signal first, and then get the CableCARD paired, but of course I wasn't getting any channels or tuners to work because the card hadn't been paired!

The Diagnostics tool (or was it the Web interface) provided the hint I needed, where it said that the CableCARD was ready to get paired.

A call to Comcast (and even on a Saturday), then re-running WMC setup, and in less than half an hour I was watching the Braves play the Mets on HD cable through the Ceton.

Thanks for your help!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page