Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

AFAIK, yes, provided your vid card supports it.

Comcast always lies to me. They told me NO! i told them i still want the 3d channels. Here are the spec to my sapphire 5850 Toxic card.

Technical Information:

Brand SAPPHIRE
Series TOXIC
Model 100282TXSR
Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon HD 5850
Core Clock 765MHz
Stream Processors 1440 Stream Processing Units
Effective Memory Clock 4500MHz
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR5
3D API DirectX DirectX 11
3D API OpenGL OpenGL 3.2
HDMI 1 x HDMI
DisplayPort 1 x DisplayPort
D-SUB 1 x D-SUB (via Adapter)
DVI 2 x DVI
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
CrossFireX Support Yes
Cooler With Fan
System Requirements 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)
Power Connector 2 x 6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I don't think Comcast is who to ask if your HTPC can play 3D content.

post #93 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I don't think Comcast is who to ask if your HTPC can play 3D content.

I never mention an HTPC. They said their M card doesn't allow 3d at this time.
post #94 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I've had my eye on a Ceton for some time. Now that I'm considering implementing this, I'm not sure if it will work the way I was hoping.

If any of you could help clarify or answer the following it would be appreciated:
  1. Ceton has 4 tuners, but each one of them becomes dedicated to an HTPC or an Extender, so they can not be dynamically used by whichever device is turned on?
  2. A single Ceton card can be used by the HTPC it is installed in and any extenders, but can not be shared with another HTPC?? (Obviously I am confused about what HTPCs / extenders can be used and how they are grouped.
  3. The Home Run will have 3 tuners but they can be dynamically assigned to any win 7 machine or media center extender trying to use it?
  4. Comcast pretty much copy protects everything in the digital / HD lineup?
  5. If a show is flagged as copy protected, does that mean it can only be watched by the HTPC or extender that recorded it, or by any HTPC / extender on the network, just not read by "other devices"?
  6. How does an extender connect to DVR material if you are using the homerun product? Doesn't there have to be one HTPC on the network running WMC?
  7. Are there any other extenders out there other than the Xbox? Any thoughts on whether this will totally die away except the xbox?

Thanks for any help. I was pretty excited about this at one time but now not clear on what it will and wont do.
post #95 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

I ordered my ceton card at microcenter since they finally updated the pricing and will pick it up after work today. I called comcast and scheduled an appt for Sunday since they only let techs install them here. I was told since I have two DVRs (one for my father and one mine to be returned when I know the ceton is setup properly) the cost of the cablecard is $9.xx a month.. Is anyone else paying this much for a cablecard? Its a bit ridiculous IMO when a standard non dvr box costs the same.

This pricing is prettyt typical. Your card is treated as a second card.

Just another blank signature.
post #96 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

I've had my eye on a Ceton for some time. Now that I'm considering implementing this, I'm not sure if it will work the way I was hoping.

If any of you could help clarify or answer the following it would be appreciated:
  1. Ceton has 4 tuners, but each one of them becomes dedicated to an HTPC or an Extender, so they can not be dynamically used by whichever device is turned on?
  2. A single Ceton card can be used by the HTPC it is installed in and any extenders, but can not be shared with another HTPC?? (Obviously I am confused about what HTPCs / extenders can be used and how they are grouped.
  3. The Home Run will have 3 tuners but they can be dynamically assigned to any win 7 machine or media center extender trying to use it?
  5. If a show is flagged as copy protected, does that mean it can only be watched by the HTPC or extender that recorded it, or by any HTPC / extender on the network, just not read by "other devices"?
  6. How does an extender connect to DVR material if you are using the homerun product? Doesn't there have to be one HTPC on the network running WMC?
  7. Are there any other extenders out there other than the Xbox? Any thoughts on whether this will totally die away except the xbox?

Thanks for any help. I was pretty excited about this at one time but now not clear on what it will and wont do.

1. You choose how many tuners get assigned to the computers. You can have all 4 tuners for one HTPC, and none for the other if you so choose. Extenders do not get assigned a tuner, they are tied to one HTPC.
  2. A Ceton can be used by the HTPC it is installed in, and have its tuners allocated to any other PC on your network. Extenders, like their name implies, are an extension of the HTPC they are tied to. So what you can see on your HTPC, you can see on the extender that is tied to it. Recordings are not normally shared between HTPC's.
  3. Unlike the Ceton, the HDHomerun prime will not have tuners allocated to any given HTPC, but rather, any available tuner can be accessed if not in use.
  4. I believe that is correct, Comcast generally copy protects.
  5. If copy-protected it can only be viewed by the HTPC which recorded it, or any extender tied to that HTPC.
  6. The extender doesn't care what tuner you have, it only cares that it's connected to an HTPC and essentially mirrors the media center function of that HTPC.
  7. Xbox are the only extenders in production. There are older extenders no longer in production like the Linkys DMA2100/2200 and the HP X280N which can be obtained on ebay and other sites
CFC

Signature goes here
post #97 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post

Yes on the copy protected content. Only on the box the WMC box that recorded it, or its extenders which is the same thing.

Media Center Extenders don't really get a tuner assigned to them in the sense of a dedicated tuner. They have first come first serve access to the tuner pool that is assigned to the WMC box they are extending. So if you had a Ceton 4 in a WMC box and you were not sharing tuners through the Ceton Network Tuner than all 4 tuners would be available to the WMC box and any Windows Media Center Extenders extended from it on a first come first serve basis.

I have two tuners assigned to the PC with the Ceton in it through the Network Tuner Utility. I have a WMC Extender associated with the Windows PC and so the PC or the Extender has either 2, 1 or no tuners available depending on what is already in use.

A Windows Media Center Extender is exactly what its name says it is. The xbox and the rest are not extremely flexible but they are efficient ways to share tuners overall .

post #98 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Update on my CableCard costs: With $9.xx/month not sitting well, I decided to give it another shot. I connected with Comcasts Live Chat online, and after waiting about 10 minutes for the guy to find information, he determined that the first cablecard in a device is free and $9 a month was "way too much for a cablecard". Talk about one extreme to the other! I am much happier now of course.
post #99 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

Update on my CableCard costs: With $9.xx/month not sitting well, I decided to give it another shot. I connected with Comcasts Live Chat online, and after waiting about 10 minutes for the guy to find information, he determined that the first cablecard in a device is free and $9 a month was "way too much for a cablecard". Talk about one extreme to the other! I am much happier now of course.

Wow FREE, hard to beat this. Now, as a Comcast customer I am not happy now! Where is my free CC Comcast
post #100 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Well Comcast's own website says the first cablecard is free (with a few disclaimers), so I think it would be hard for them to argue anything else.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...blecard%20cost

I setup a new installation with Comcast for Monday and my Cablecard is free.
post #101 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

$30 discount from Fluid Digital for 2nd Ceton!

http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2011/...+%28The+DMZ%29
post #102 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Yes on the copy protected content. Only on the box the WMC box that recorded it, or its extenders which is the same thing.

Media Center Extenders don't really get a tuner assigned to them in the sense of a dedicated tuner. They have first come first serve access to the tuner pool that is assigned to the WMC box they are extending. So if you had a Ceton 4 in a WMC box and you were not sharing tuners through the Ceton Network Tuner than all 4 tuners would be available to the WMC box and any Windows Media Center Extenders extended from it on a first come first serve basis.

I have two tuners assigned to the PC with the Ceton in it through the Network Tuner Utility. I have a WMC Extender associated with the Windows PC and so the PC or the Extender has either 2, 1 or no tuners available depending on what is already in use.

A Windows Media Center Extender is exactly what its name says it is. The xbox and the rest are not extremely flexible but they are efficient ways to share tuners overall .

Thanks for the help from the two of you who replied. Much clearer now. Just need to decide if I'm going to plunge into this or not now.
post #103 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

Well Comcast's own website says the first cablecard is free (with a few disclaimers), so I think it would be hard for them to argue anything else.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...blecard%20cost

I setup a new installation with Comcast for Monday and my Cablecard is free.

The first cablecard of the first device on the first outlet is free... believe me you can go to war and you can point out their own documents to them, you can do whatever you want.. You can get them to read it back to you.. you are wasting your time.

I have been there and have managers names and phone numbers.. they will contradict each other, they will contradict the documents... but unless the only device in the house that gets hd digital hd cable is via a cablecard then any cablecard will cost you in the $8.50 cent range. Comcast sucks and unless I was willing to engage a lawyer the FCC, a Congressman etc all at once.. It was gong to be $0 for the first cablecard if you don't have a cable box.. $8.50 if you do and $8.50 for each subsequent card...

Really I spent hours going round and round with them and just ended stressed out. I tried very hard to get the managers who said different things to pariticapate in a conference call but they would have none of it... It might show up on the bill as an $8.00 charge for cable service to a secondary digital outlet with $1.50 charge for the second card... but it is still essentially the same thing.

With no other HD cable access, first cablecard is free, any other scenario you will pay around $8.50 a card. Just getting to a manager at Comcast is a feat in itself especially at the stores... have fun! I know I did not. Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

post #104 of 4776 Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The first cablecard of the first device on the first outlet is free... believe me you can go to war and you can point out their own documents to them, you can do whatever you want.. You can get them to read it back to you.. you are wasting your time.

I have been there and have managers names and phone numbers.. they will contradict each other, they will contradict the documents... but unless the only device in the house that gets hd digital hd cable is via a cablecard then any cablecard will cost you in the $8.50 cent range. Comcast sucks and unless I was willing to engage a lawyer the FCC, a Congressman etc all at once.. It was gong to be $0 for the first cablecard if you don't have a cable box.. $8.50 if you do and $8.50 for each subsequent card...

Really I spent hours going round and round with them and just ended stressed out. I tried very hard to get the managers who said different things to pariticapate in a conference call but they would have none of it... It might show up on the bill as an $8.00 charge for cable service to a secondary digital outlet with $1.50 charge for the second card... but it is still essentially the same thing.

With no other HD cable access, first cablecard is free, any other scenario you will pay around $8.50 a card. Just getting to a manager at Comcast is a feat in itself especially at the stores... have fun! I know I did not. Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

This is basically the same information that I got from the CSR that I spoke to when I made the appointment. He said the card is free on the first outlet but since I already had two DVR's (soon to be one) its going to be the $9 fee. The other guy said the complete opposite. I guess I will find out when I get my next bill then. I think the problem is their own employees do not know the guidelines and their own website basically gives useless info with a disclaimer that gives them the right to do what ever they want.

I even received a "Comcast Price Schedule" with my Bill a few days ago and it says under "Equipment Charges - Month":

CableCard (first card in device) .... No Charge
CableCard (second card in same device) .... $1.50

And that's about all the info it says, it never mentions that it needs to be the first outlet. I didnt say that because I'm disagreeing with you. I'm sure you went through all the hoops you mentioned and still ended up nowhere. I'm just pointing out how deceptive they really are. There's no reason a card should cost so much IMO. Comcast is evil.
post #105 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

In regards to the: "Video Error Files needed to display video are not installed or not working" Media Center Message
Below are what I noticed from different members to sove this problem.
* Disable "Exclusive" in the Properties of the default playback properties

Disabling "allow exclusive control' within the HDMI audio configuration of my audio device fixed this issue, but now I cannot bit-stream DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD because now everything my HTPC sends out is just PCM.

Does anyone know of a better solution for this issue?

Go Broncos!
post #106 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Im Thinking of getting a ceton next month. Wondering how it works with wmc7 x64, i have an i3550. Does anyone have a similar setup. Im wondering how it performs while using all 4 tuners simultaneously. Any problems? Also, how does the channel guide/dvr controls respond compared to you average comcast/dish setup? Is it as responsive, more or less? Any other pros or cons you can think of with setup, installation, use, function, performance, GUI, etc. Also is anybody using it with anything besides wmc?

Oh, what do you guys use to get rid of commercials on recordings and move recordings to your recorded tv library, is there any software that dies all of that automatically? Records the show, takes out the commercials, and moves it into your library and scans it.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #107 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post
This may or may not be a better solution for you.

Configure HDMI in Windows as Stereo. Then, configure WMC to output 5.1 or whatever you might have.

If you use TMT or some other program to Bitstream, it should still bitstream properly. The big drawback is that Windows sounds will be stereo. But, no error messages.

Affable Nitwit
post #108 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loci03 View Post

I never mention an HTPC. They said their M card doesn't allow 3d at this time.

The only reason the M-card wouldn't allow is if they told it not to. More likely than anything is if your sub covers any channel that are in 3D you will get them and like everything else you've asked about you were answered by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

My Ceton w/ a Motorola M-card is tuning 3D channels just fine.

post #109 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

The only reason the M-card wouldn't allow is if they told it not to. More likely than anything is if your sub covers any channel that are in 3D you will get them and like everything else you've asked about you were answered by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

My Ceton w/ a Motorola M-card is tuning 3D channels just fine.

Ok awesome thanks man. I will work with these Comcast guys when they come.
post #110 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post

In regards to the: "Video Error Files needed to display video are not installed or not working" Media Center Message
Below are what I noticed from different members to sove this problem.
* Disable "Exclusive" in the Properties of the default playback properties

Disabling "allow exclusive control' within the HDMI audio configuration of my audio device fixed this issue, but now I cannot bit-stream DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD because now everything my HTPC sends out is just PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

This may or may not be a better solution for you.

Configure HDMI in Windows as Stereo. Then, configure WMC to output 5.1 or whatever you might have.

If you use TMT or some other program to Bitstream, it should still bitstream properly. The big drawback is that Windows sounds will be stereo. But, no error messages.

In my case, I have different behaviors.

In Windows Playback defaults device (task bar), I choose highest bit rate, configure 7.1 spreakers and enable both exclusive and the other option in the default playback properties.

In WMC, I choose 7.1 speakers and disable "Auto" volume.

With above settings and no need to change anything...
WMC: I am able to bitstreaming DD and LPCM depending on the content for my Recorded TV and Live TV contents.
TMT5: I am able to bitstreaming DD, DTS, True-HD and DTS MA for my DVD/BD.

Yes, it is little different than what I had in the guide. But what I gather up in the guide are the users here reported the problem and their fixed.
post #111 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

i have an i3550.

Just wonder why not 2nd gen 1155 like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=LGA%201155
post #112 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post
In WMC Playback defaults, I choose highest bit rate, configure 7.1 spreakers and enable both exclusive and the other option in the default playback properties.

In WMC, I choose 7.1 speakers and disable "Auto" volume.
But how do you have your HDMI device configured in the Sound control panel? How many channels?
post #113 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik71 View Post
But how do you have your HDMI device configured in the Sound control panel? How many channels?
Sorry just correct in my reply, I meant Windows Sound Control Panel, I have 7.1 selected there.

Both, Windows and WMC, I choose both 7.1 in both places.
post #114 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Liked: 147
I had to disable navigation sounds in Media Center...you know, the little bings and boops and swooshes when you move from one choice to another.

After doing that, my vid driver error went away.
post #115 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 PM

Dear hlkc,

My name is Matt Williams and I'm working for KernSafe Technologies. I noticed that you advice to use our product - iStorage Server - in rather interesting way. We always like to see our users to be innovative with iSCSI technology since it can be used in many scenarios for everyday use.

As a reward, I would like to present to you, and to all of your forum members a 10% discount coupon code that is valid till 25th of June 2011!

Code:
KERN-COSJ

In order to use it, please head on to iStorage Server Page:

http://www.kernsafe.com/product/istorage-server.aspx

Click on Purchase button, chose RegNow and click on Buy Now.
On new page, please choose the license type you would like to purchase and set the quantity and press Order Now button.
In the Coupon Code field, type above discount coupon and press Update.
Now you can continue with your order with 10% discount!

If anyone would need any help with using iStorage Server, I would advice him/her to read this article series, since we describe there step by step how to create your first iSCSI Target:

http://www.gilsmethod.com/getting-started-with-iscsi

As well as watch this video:

Please feel free to visit us on our:

http://www.kernsafe.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001993181873
Facebook Fan Page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/KernSafe/100282176727522
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/KernSafe
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/kernsafe
LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kernsafe-technologies/2a/582/487
Blog:
http://kernsafe.blog.com

As we will set up contests, raffles, additional discounts and more!

If you will have any problems and require technical support, please visit our forum:
http://www.kernsafe.com/forum

If you would like to contact me directly, please write to matt@kernsafe.com

I wish you all a great weekend and hope that you will be able to record many interesting programs on your iSCSI Targets!

hlkc, thank you again for mentioning about iStorage!

Matt Williams
post #116 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. You guys sure have a very unique product. Yes, I am using your product in a very different ways and I bet most of your users are not using it that way. WMC only allow the user to recorded to local drive instead of the server. Therefore I looked around and found your solution, it works out exactly what I want. However, to be honest, I am using your 1 lisc free version and most if not all users here are probably the same, won't need more than 1 target. IMO it costs a bit to much even with your 10% discount, $90, for more than what we need. Make no mistake, you have a great product but we just need a small piece of that and maybe 2 or 3 targets at the most.
post #117 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:

You're welcome. You guys sure have a very unique product. Yes, I am using your product in a very different ways and I bet most of your users are not using it that way. WMC only allow the user to recorded to local drive instead of the server. Therefore I looked around and found your solution, it works out exactly what I want. However, to be honest, I am using your 1 lisc free version and most if not all users here are probably the same, won't need more than 1 target. IMO it costs a bit to much even with your 10% discount, $90, for more than what we need. Make no mistake, you have a great product but we just need a small piece of that and maybe 2 or 3 targets at the most.

Thank you for your reply!

I understand your and other users needs to create such iSCSI target.
We will take into consideration altering our Free Version to support more targets in near future! As for now the only way for a user to be able to create more then 1 target after evaluation period is to purchase license therefore I deceived to reward this forum with discount coupon.

If you have any other suggestions on what we can change it in iStorage Server to be more user friendly - please let me know.

Matt Williams
post #118 of 4776 Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernSafe View Post

Thank you for your reply!

I understand your and other users needs to create such iSCSI target.
We will take into consideration altering our Free Version to support more targets in near future! As for now the only way for a user to be able to create more then 1 target after evaluation period is to purchase license therefore I deceived to reward this forum with discount coupon.

If you have any other suggestions on what we can change it in iStorage Server to be more user friendly - please let me know.

Matt Williams

I am in no positing speaking on behalf of the users here. But thanks for your sweet offer and if future release can support more target HDDs, it will be fantastic. For our recording purpose here, we just don't need most of the good features in your app today.
post #119 of 4776 Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:

I am in no positing speaking on behalf of the users here. But thanks for your sweet offer and if future release can support more target HDDs, it will be fantastic. For our recording purpose here, we just don't need most of the good features in your app today.

hlkc,
I'm curious what other user will say...
I will keep you posted if our free version will change to support more Hard Disk targets.

Matt Williams
post #120 of 4776 Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just wanted to give a PSA and a little love to Ceton Corp.

PSA: Be VERY careful if you need to pull out the coaxial dongle from the card. I did this last Friday night and the housing pulled off as well! Tried to use some super glue to put it back in, but no dice.

Love for Ceton: By Saturday afternoon, I knew it was hopeless to try to fix it myself. I put a support ticket in to Ceton about 3:30 pm. By 4:30 pm, they'd emailed me back, asking for the serial number, etc. I sent that back in.

Monday afternoon, they called me to go through the RMA process. They took my CC info to hold against the new card and sent the new card out that night. I got it on Wednesday! And they included a pre-paid FedEx label for sending the old one back.

Now THAT is good customer service.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page