post #121 of 4790 Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Just wanted to give a PSA and a little love to Ceton Corp.

PSA: Be VERY careful if you need to pull out the coaxial dongle from the card. I did this last Friday night and the housing pulled off as well! Tried to use some super glue to put it back in, but no dice.

Love for Ceton: By Saturday afternoon, I knew it was hopeless to try to fix it myself. I put a support ticket in to Ceton about 3:30 pm. By 4:30 pm, they'd emailed me back, asking for the serial number, etc. I sent that back in.

Monday afternoon, they called me to go through the RMA process. They took my CC info to hold against the new card and sent the new card out that night. I got it on Wednesday! And they included a pre-paid FedEx label for sending the old one back.

Now THAT is good customer service.

Can't agree more. Those guys never sleep and as mentioned they work around my schedules even in the weekend morning to look at my problems. I've been here long enough and I've not seen any hardware manufactures work as hard as they can. Most manufacture they said they will get back to you soon, but Ceton is the only one really doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 4790 Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM

Liked: 10
I don't think so Other companies are not that greedy and give away their iSCSI targets completely free of charge. Microsoft had just released their software as a stand-alone product and StarWind has been doing this for years. No capacity limitation and no stupid "one shot - one kill" (c) ... one device limitation initially referenced guys have If you're on the Linux side OpenFiler and IET do the trick. Again free of charge with no capacity or number of devices limitation. Just my $0.02...

Hope this helped

Good luck!

Olga-SAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

You're welcome. You guys sure have a very unique product. Yes, I am using your product in a very different ways and I bet most of your users are not using it that way. WMC only allow the user to recorded to local drive instead of the server. Therefore I looked around and found your solution, it works out exactly what I want. However, to be honest, I am using your 1 lisc free version and most if not all users here are probably the same, won't need more than 1 target. IMO it costs a bit to much even with your 10% discount, $90, for more than what we need. Make no mistake, you have a great product but we just need a small piece of that and maybe 2 or 3 targets at the most.

post #123 of 4790 Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Just wanted to give a PSA and a little love to Ceton Corp.

PSA: Be VERY careful if you need to pull out the coaxial dongle from the card. I did this last Friday night and the housing pulled off as well! Tried to use some super glue to put it back in, but no dice.

Love for Ceton: By Saturday afternoon, I knew it was hopeless to try to fix it myself. I put a support ticket in to Ceton about 3:30 pm. By 4:30 pm, they'd emailed me back, asking for the serial number, etc. I sent that back in.

Monday afternoon, they called me to go through the RMA process. They took my CC info to hold against the new card and sent the new card out that night. I got it on Wednesday! And they included a pre-paid FedEx label for sending the old one back.

Now THAT is good customer service.

I had this happen to me as well. Ceton was very good and the new card is on its way.
post #124 of 4790 Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wonder why not 2nd gen 1155 like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=LGA%201155

Because it wasnt out when I built my htpc, why?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #125 of 4790 Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Here are my Ceton plans:

HTPC parts have started to arrive...already have Ceton tuner...should have this up and running in the next week. ZFS storage is pre-exisiting.

The big unknown is whether I'll be able to do direct recording to ZFS via NFS or CIFS. I tried installing the "Storage Pooler" app that has been posted on other threads which is supposed to enable having Recorded TV folder on CIFS...it completely mucked up the system (every time I launched WMC I'd just get a black screen...could Ctrl/Alt/Del and get task manager up...but pretty much all I could do is reboot the machine)...had to use System Restore to revert.

There are some registry hacks that are supposed to allow direct CIFS recording, but I haven't tried that yet.

In the worst case scenario, I'll add a small SSD for local recording and then use the trick where you can trigger a file move at the end of the recording.

One possible downside of this design is I presume that when you play a recorded video at a media extenders (Xbox) the stream will essentially cross the network TWICE...from ZFS server to HTPC and then from HTPC to Xbox. In my case I think the worst case bandwidth usage would be if the two Xboxes were watching recorded content *and* the HTPC was recording 4 channels...it would seem that a single Gig connection at the HTPC would still be able to handle this, but it would certainly be hitting upwards of 240Mbps...design might need a dedicated GigE connection from HTPC to storage server.
post #126 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Wow, I cant believe there is a thread for the ceton infinitv 4 HD tuner card! Awesome...

I built my HTPC about 5 months ago, been waiting for my new basement build to finish up to install my HTPC in the AV rack in the family room, and conntect all my CAT6 lines up to my 24 port switch.....

I have 4 tuners available with my single M-card, and have been playing around with all 4 tuners running, seem to be working great, I really wished they were working on drivers for Linux, after I built my HTPC with win7 home 32bit, for some reason it was not installing the new updates from microsoft, I had to call ms, and have a tech do a remote 2 my desktop, and do a major repair to my OS, because of how screwed up it was, just from a new install, the tech asked me if I had any other computers where I could at least access the internet while he was trying to repair my HTPC, and I said yea, my Ubuntu Linux pc has never failed me, and it's almost 4 years old, and the tech laughed..... Would love to have some Linux support with this card....( XBMC )

Netwatchman,

Very nice plan you have there! With my HTPC set-up was using 3 media center extenders and 1 tuner open for recording.....

I also wished Ceton would build a 8 tuner card, why 6? There a limitation with the card it self?
Reason: If anyone wants to at least use more than 4 extenders, hence needing another tuner card, then you can get 2 more tv's and 2 tuners for recording, see my point?
Going to a 6 tuner card, only gives 1 extra tuner for an extender / 1 tuner for recording, where we are gonna pay big for another m-card, just for two tuners.... Just skip 6 tuners and go straight to 8.....
Looking at what people are paying for an additional m-card per month, and just the cost of the ceton card, will take several years to pay for it......
post #127 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I also wished Ceton would build a 8 tuner card, why 6? There a limitation with the card it self?
Reason: If anyone wants to at least use more than 4 extenders, hence needing another tuner card, then you can get 2 more tv's and 2 tuners for recording, see my point?
Going to a 6 tuner card, only gives 1 extra tuner for an extender / 1 tuner for recording, where we are gonna pay big for another m-card, just for two tuners.... Just skip 6 tuners and go straight to 8.....
Looking at what people are paying for an additional m-card per month, and just the cost of the ceton card, will take several years to pay for it......

I think m-cards are limited to 6 tuners. If you wanted 8 then you would need two m-cards. Now if you want 8 tuners you could just get two 4 tuner Cetons and two m-cards.

post #128 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I think m-cards are limited to 6 tuners. If you wanted 8 then you would need two m-cards. Now if you want 8 tuners you could just get two 4 tuner Cetons and two m-cards.

I figured there was a limitation somewhere, I did not know it was the m-card that limited the number of tuners.... Thanks.
post #129 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Does anyone know if Comcast still needs to send out a tech to pair the CableCard to a tuner? I've already got an M-Card in my ATI tuner, and would love to ditch that for a Ceton card, but it's usually such a hassle getting Comcast to come out (and the first time, pairing the ATI card, took 3 attempts on 3 different days).

Since all the tech does is call up a Comcast number, and tell them information that is displayed prominently on the TV screen, I'd love to avoid that.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #130 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Wow, I cant believe there is a thread for the ceton infinitv 4 HD tuner card! Awesome...

Where have you been hiding? There have been threads about the Ceton InfiniTV4 in these forums since the day it was first announced about a year and a half ago. This is but one of many such threads.
post #131 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM

2NetWatchman:

I'm curios why did you choose ZFS against competitors? And what software package with ZFS are you planning to deploy? )

Olga

P.S. We store A LOT of production media data on ZFS and find it excellent. Except deduplication is useless with the type of content we store on this FS.
post #132 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Does anyone know if Comcast still needs to send out a tech to pair the CableCard to a tuner? I've already got an M-Card in my ATI tuner, and would love to ditch that for a Ceton card, but it's usually such a hassle getting Comcast to come out (and the first time, pairing the ATI card, took 3 attempts on 3 different days).

Since all the tech does is call up a Comcast number, and tell them information that is displayed prominently on the TV screen, I'd love to avoid that.

You're not kidding. I've been waiting since between 9am-11am this morning (my scheduled appointment window) for them to even just arrive at my house, let alone what ever other issues might arise. In some areas they allow self installs, but since you already have one I would just give the 1-800-Comcast number a call and try to save yourself the trouble of a tech visiting. Stuck here all day for something I could just do myself. I already got my Customer Guarantee $20 credit on my bill.
post #133 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Where have you been hiding? There have been threads about the Ceton InfiniTV4 in these forums since the day it was first announced about a year and a half ago. This is but one of many such threads.

Sorry, been involved in my basement total re-model, very busy, at least I ran all new shielded CAT6 to every location in the house for mega-gigabit.....
I've been at other forums on the web that are more media center extender related, but will check back here more often...
post #134 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

You're not kidding. I've been waiting since between 9am-11am this morning (my scheduled appointment window) for them to even just arrive at my house, let alone what ever other issues might arise. In some areas they allow self installs, but since you already have one I would just give the 1-800-Comcast number a call and try to save yourself the trouble of a tech visiting. Stuck here all day for something I could just do myself. I already got my Customer Guarantee $20 credit on my bill.

He finally arrived at around 4:30 give or take and I now have my Ceton card up and running! I had an issue with getting live TV to work at first. I would play a channel, it would stutter the audio for a moment then stop and say "VIDEO ERROR
Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer."

Under Settings > General > Visual and Sound Effects, I had to disable "Play sounds when navigating Windows Media Center" and then restart WMC and it now works fine. Anyone else have this problem? I found the issue via googling. I kinda liked the sounds and would like to use them if I can. Any info is appreciated.
post #135 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Liked: 147
It is a very common problem. I have had to disable the sounds on both my Intel GPU and my AMD GPU.
post #136 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

He finally arrived at around 4:30 give or take and I now have my Ceton card up and running! I had an issue with getting live TV to work at first. I would play a channel, it would stutter the audio for a moment then stop and say "VIDEO ERROR
Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer."

Under Settings > General > Visual and Sound Effects, I had to disable "Play sounds when navigating Windows Media Center" and then restart WMC and it now works fine. Anyone else have this problem? I found the issue via googling. I kinda liked the sounds and would like to use them if I can. Any info is appreciated.

I fixed this on my 5450 by using the Realtek drivers. Haven't had the issue since, and I have WMC sounds as well.

My installer and I nearly gave up because the support documentation Ceton provides (on it's website only, they're too cheap to include a paper manual with a $400 part) shows the CableCard fitting in the opposite direction, and says it's keyed to prevent the card from being inserted any other way. We were able to insert it the wrong way just fine, and the only error given by the diagnostic program was that we had inserted an S-card (?!).

Other than that, the card has worked flawlessly.
post #137 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olga-SAN View Post
I'm curios why did you choose ZFS against competitors? And what software package with ZFS are you planning to deploy? )
Embracing Solaris in order to get at ZFS was a tough decision but I was sick and tired of hardware based raid cards that handled drive failure poorly, plus the big issue is once you get into file systems of more than a few TBs, it become unpractical to run regular fcks without hours and hours of downtime.

With ZFS it is very easy for the novice to manage...most operations take zero elapsed time (e.g. creating pools and volumes). ZFS snapshots are awesome! Have been using it for over a year now with nearly 100TB of data in production...have had several drive failures, but that was easily resolved with hot spares. Good stuff.

I don't understand your question "what software package am I planning on deploying"?

I wish I didn't have to, but this is a Windows Media Center setup...but using NFS/iScsi for storage.
post #138 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I figured there was a limitation somewhere, I did not know it was the m-card that limited the number of tuners.... Thanks.
The six tuners is a MS thing, regular MC is supposed to be limited to 4 tuners and CI is supposed to be limited to 6 tuners. You can get around that with tuner salad / registry hacks, so its moot but it stems from that. Reason why both Ceton and Silicon Dust are bringing out 6 tuner devices.
post #139 of 4790 Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Insight Communications is coming to my house in the morning to install the cable card. We'll see how well this goes. The PC I built is running beautifully. Can't wait to get TV on it.
post #140 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Like many others, I recently jumped on the InfiniTV 4 bandwagon with the price drop and had Comcast out today to do the install. For the most part I now have things working, but ran into an issue during the install and now after.

Issues during the install - Once we got the cablecard in and started the "setup TV signal" process in WMC, I got hit up for entering a MS "product activation code" for watching digital TV. My quick googling revealed this is supposed to happen automatically when you run Digital Cable Adviser. I had already ran this, and found it odd that it didn't really do anything except tell me I was "already setup for receiving digital cable."

Further googling revealed that some Asus motherboards (like mine) already have some OCUR key on them, and it causes issues with the DCA. I then read that you could just put on a generic key found on the web to get past it. So that's what I did, and we moved on. The Comcast tech had no problems pairing the tuner, that took about 2 mins. The Ceton diagnostics said everything was good.

But for some reason every time I tried finishing the WMC TV setup it would say that it "ran into a serious problem" and could not finish. Several reboots and re-tries and I could not get past this. I read someone with a similar issue basically had to do media center recovery process to fix this. I tried that, it didnt work initially but after a reboot and removing all media center customization software I have, like Media Center Studio, I finally was able to finish the TV setup and watch TV!

So now that leaves me with my only issue. I am supposed to be getting HBO with my package, but when trying to go to the HBO channels they all say "Copy prohibited" blah blah. All am trying to do is watch them live. So I don't understand what the issue is with telling me I can only watch recorded content on the PC I recorded them on. Anybody familiar with this?
post #141 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle784 View Post

.l.My installer and I nearly gave up because the support documentation Ceton provides (on it's website only, they're too cheap to include a paper manual with a $400 part) shows the CableCard fitting in the opposite direction, and says it's keyed to prevent the card from being inserted any other way. We were able to insert it the wrong way just fine, and the only error given by the diagnostic program was that we had inserted an S-card (?!).

Other than that, the card has worked flawlessly.

Hmm... This suggests there may be more than one version of the card because though like yours, Ceton's example of card direction was the opposite of my card, my card definitely is keyed so I can't install it the wrong way. I can slide the card partially into the slot either way, but it will only seat one way.
post #142 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I encountered both of the issues you did and fixed the DCA problem as you did (but ultimately fixed it by installing the tuner in a newer HTPC which was previously planned).

My cable card failed about a week ago so I had to have Comcast install a new one. Beyond the DCA issue my first install went pretty smoothly but the replacement of the bad card turned into a major CF. I won't bore everyone with the details but in my area, it is clear that most of the installers are not familiar with cable cards (not to mention that two different installers failed to bring cable cards with them in spite of CC replacement being stated as the reason for their house calls ). I mention this because I ran into the same problem with HBO authorization while pairing the new card. In my case, the problem was traced to Comcast's end where pairing and activation occurs. In short, they had the wrong subscription package tied to the card. Assuming you suffered the same fate, a call to their tech support office should fix the problem. If that doesn't work you may need to have the local tap outside your house checked to ensure the installer put the right filters in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

Like many others, I recently jumped on the InfiniTV 4 bandwagon with the price drop and had Comcast out today to do the install. For the most part I now have things working, but ran into an issue during the install and now after.

Issues during the install - Once we got the cablecard in and started the "setup TV signal" process in WMC, I got hit up for entering a MS "product activation code" for watching digital TV. My quick googling revealed this is supposed to happen automatically when you run Digital Cable Adviser. I had already ran this, and found it odd that it didn't really do anything except tell me I was "already setup for receiving digital cable."

Further googling revealed that some Asus motherboards (like mine) already have some OCUR key on them, and it causes issues with the DCA. I then read that you could just put on a generic key found on the web to get past it. So that's what I did, and we moved on. The Comcast tech had no problems pairing the tuner, that took about 2 mins. The Ceton diagnostics said everything was good.

But for some reason every time I tried finishing the WMC TV setup it would say that it "ran into a serious problem" and could not finish. Several reboots and re-tries and I could not get past this. I read someone with a similar issue basically had to do media center recovery process to fix this. I tried that, it didnt work initially but after a reboot and removing all media center customization software I have, like Media Center Studio, I finally was able to finish the TV setup and watch TV!

So now that leaves me with my only issue. I am supposed to be getting HBO with my package, but when trying to go to the HBO channels they all say "Copy prohibited" blah blah. All am trying to do is watch them live. So I don't understand what the issue is with telling me I can only watch recorded content on the PC I recorded them on. Anybody familiar with this?

post #143 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying when you go to Live TV and hit HBO and it said "Copy prohibited"? If so, something is sure not right and it sounds like the system is thinking you are trying to watch copy prohibited content instead of Live TV. What about other pay channels? You might want to completely remove Media Center Studio and see. Also, I will completely remove the Centon driver and re-install and see.
post #144 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You guys are making me a little nervous. I have the local cable company coming next week and my WMC is pretty customized thanks to Media Center Studio. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

post #145 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

You guys are making me a little nervous. I have the local cable company coming next week and my WMC is pretty customized thanks to Media Center Studio. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

I used to have MCS to customized my Vista MC a lot. But back then I did not have Ceton, of course, just OTA plug in. I don't have MCS installed today and I can tell you Ceton is working fairly good, 99%+ after you dial in. I don't know MCS is causing the problem but just to make sure...

In my case, I can't afford to have problem with this box since it is a family STB in my living room and we all depending this to watch live TV every night. With that said, I am trying to avoid any problem and make this box as clean/simple/less programs as I can be.

Hangs off is a very difficult lessons for me to learn with this box today
post #146 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I may do a clean install again and hold off on doing any customization until I know the Ceton is working.

post #147 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Are you saying when you go to Live TV and hit HBO and it said "Copy prohibited"? If so, something is sure not right and it sounds like the system is thinking you are trying to watch copy prohibited content instead of Live TV. What about other pay channels? You might want to completely remove Media Center Studio and see. Also, I will completely remove the Centon driver and re-install and see.

I'm no longer at my PC but since I saw the message about 50 times this is more specifically what it says:

Copying Prohibited (in bold)

And then something to the effect of: "You can only view copy protected recordings on the machine on which it was recorded" or something like that.

And that comes up when I try to view it Live, not actually record anything or view it from another PC. I am hopeful it is what elockett has said and that the issue is just on Comcast's side. The first thing I want to try when I get home is tune the HBO channel numbers in the Ceton Diagnostic tool. If it can successfully tune it, then that rules out Comcast and it is a WMC/DRM issue.

One other thing of note I picked up as an idea in another thread. I have long prior to this used the Shark007 codecs for MKV playback in WMC and read that could potentially be messing with LiveTV and DRM.

So I have a few avenues to investigate when I get home tonight. Also will be setting up the Network Tuner Sharing and see how that goes.
post #148 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 AM

In regards to Media Center Studio, well first off I never found that half of its customizations actually took effect, but anyway.. After removing it and rebooting, and now successfully setting up the TV signal, my MCS customizations are still there. Basically just a different theme, some jump points for MediaBrowser, and a few of the strips removed.

So while I don't have MCS installed anymore, and actually did a "mcupdate -mediacenterrecovery" or some such command from the C:\\Windows\\ehome directory, my MCS customizations are still there and Live TV is working. So I wouldn't be too worried about MCS as being an issue.
post #149 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

@ MarcSparks

There's several things that could be going on.

First make sure you have your Ceton FW/HW images and software up to date, there was what was called the NFL bug that would give copy protect messages even on local channels, it used to take the bets FW/HW images and I'm not sure if that's changed, however I think your problem is on the Comcast side of things since it just on HBO.

If you card isn't paired properly you'll get copy protected messages on copy once streams(at least that the message I've received the few times FiOS flagged something copy once and my cards aren't paired at all).

Also as mentioned Comcast may not have properly set you Subs on your cablecard and MC is know to not give the proper error messages so you might being seeing a copy protected message when you should be seeing a channel not authorized.

Check the Ceton web UI while tuning HBO to see what it says for that channel.

BTW I had the same problem that I couldn't get TV setup to complete last year some time after I got my Ceton, install the SP1 evaluation copy (SP1 wasn't in full release yet) made it so I could complete TV setup, it was much easier than reinstalling MC and/or win 7 all together. Though it's too late for you, maybe it can help someone else if they run into this and don't have SP1 yet.

post #150 of 4790 Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have long prior to this used the Shark007 codecs for MKV playback in WMC and read that could potentially be messing with LiveTV and DRM.

So I have a few avenues to investigate when I get home tonight. Also will be setting up the Network Tuner Sharing and see how that goes.

I don't and never use any codec within WMC.

I will strongly advise you NOT to install Network Tuner Sharing unless you are sharing the tuner with other HTPC. You might open up another can of worm.

It sounds like you have a working/tweak WMC box and then add Ceton in, right? Remember in order for Ceton working with MS approve/comply all the policies, I am sure they are design/building the hardware and software based on MS and FCC regulations. Please remember that we are just a very small % in the picture and I'm sure they are aiming this to a much bigger retail market out there maybe Dell, Lenovo... the average home users and soccer moms. With that said, all the codec and modifications you have done most likely are causing the troubles with Ceton, fighting with the very tight and straight standard. If you want to have a problem free STB in your HTPC using Ceton, you might want to consider to have a clean OS install and hangs off the box. I can tell you that I have only Ceton as TV player and AnyDVD, VCD, TMT5, MyMovies for DVD/BD player in this box, OC Asus P8Z68 V PRO + i5 2500K, it is working flawlessly, 99%+ uptime.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page