Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 4776 Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, no fix for the pixelation problem.

The issue must be a tough one to solve. Could be a PlayReady issue since it seems to be on copy once content.

Weird thing is that it isn't apparent as other times. Some premium channels would have the pixelation strip once a minute or so. Other times it will be fine for 20 minutes. For example, I flipped on a movie on HBO2 HD as I typed this and within 2 minutes got a pixelization strip. Waited another 10 minutes before hitting submit and haven't seen another one.

Who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 4776 Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Liked: 11
After a week or so with my PCIe version I am overall very very happy. I do get the no tuners available or subscription required message every now and again. Usually it will fix itself but occasionally with require a restart. The only frustrating part is the times it seems it locks up is with the no tuners message and it won't let me out of it and go back to the guide or even main WMC screen to look at diagnostics, all I can do is go to recorded TV. All in all I would buy again in an istant. I really like $2.50 vs. $40+ for four tuners from the cable company.
post #1533 of 4776 Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideNine View Post

Yeah, no fix for the pixelation problem.

The issue must be a tough one to solve. Could be a PlayReady issue since it seems to be on copy once content.

Weird thing is that it isn't apparent as other times. Some premium channels would have the pixelation strip once a minute or so. Other times it will be fine for 20 minutes. For example, I flipped on a movie on HBO2 HD as I typed this and within 2 minutes got a pixelization strip. Waited another 10 minutes before hitting submit and haven't seen another one.

Who knows.

I have the same pixelation issues on the premium channels as well. HBO/Starz/Showtime etc.. it does it every couple minutes for me..
post #1534 of 4776 Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 141
How long will it be before we see a fix for the Media Center Ceton Diagnostics page showing the correct computers assigned to a tuner.
Seems like an easy fix. There hasn't been a software update since last October. Any other software company would have fixed such an obvious flaw within a week. Kind of sucks that us with a pcie version have to wait for ceton to figure out that usb fiasco before we see a software update.

post #1535 of 4776 Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

How long will it be before we see a fix for the Media Center Ceton Diagnostics page showing the correct computers assigned to a tuner.
Seems like an easy fix. There hasn't been a software update since last October. Any other software company would have fixed such an obvious flaw within a week. Kind of sucks that us with a pcie version have to wait for ceton to figure out that usb fiasco before we see a software update.

I still have issues with Diagnostics taking forever to find the tuner, even though it's currently in use - seems like there's a relation to it's use and being found; usure of why it wouldn't immediately be found if I'm using it to watch TV at the same time.

I'm sure it's pretty hectic with Ceton right now - USB rebooting issue is probably their top priority at this point (and rightly so); hopefully following those resolutions they can work on the pixelation issue and then any other lower priority issues with diagnostics.
post #1536 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

I tend to feel the same. Seems like the support for their original product has been falling behind since the release of their latest products. Hopefully they don't release anything at CES... or we'll be waiting another year for pixelation fix
post #1537 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

To clarify, the linked beta firmware is compatible with all InfiniTVs - both USB and PCIe

Feel free to install it - we aren't aware of any new issues introduced in it, so worst case you'll be where you are at now.

There should be no need to unplug your InfiniTV when not using it.

Eric, All: Well it happened again last night. Started up the PC and no tuners found message in WMS. Reboot PC again did not help. Pull power off the Ceton and bingo, tuners right on line again.

Question: Is doing a full shutdown of the PC with the USB CetonInf4 still powered contributing to this issue? Maybe a no-no or maybe some PC settings I need to change? Have had no failures while running, no dropped recordings etc.
post #1538 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

I've been using the new firmware for 2 days. It has not fixed my problems in my Ceton USB tuner.

-I'm still getting recordings fail with 'partial recording' errors
-tuner crashes with 'viewing or listening conflict' bluescreen during live TV
-picture freezes while watching Live TV

I'll give Ceton a little while longer to fix the USB version before I ask to have it exchanged for the PCIe model.

Gary

Ditto here ... I'm 28 days into my NewEgg 30 day return policy; trying to plead with them to do a straight up swap for the PCI-Express version. Otherwise I guess I'll return for refund and see if they will at least waive re-stocking fee. For some reason the USB version is about $30 cheaper right now, so I'll probably have to pay the difference.
post #1539 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM

The best NewEgg could do for me was waive the re-stocking fee and issue a refund. I have to ship back at my expense and re-buy the PCI-e version.

So what issues can I expect moving the already-paired CableCARD to the new tuner ? Can it be re-paired with new tuner (or does it even need to be?), or should I swap it out for a new CableCARD while I'm waiting ? (Cox, Phoenix)
post #1540 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daidavel View Post

The best NewEgg could do for me was waive the re-stocking fee and issue a refund. I have to ship back at my expense and re-buy the PCI-e version.

So what issues can I expect moving the already-paired CableCARD to the new tuner ? Can it be re-paired with new tuner (or does it even need to be?), or should I swap it out for a new CableCARD while I'm waiting ? (Cox, Phoenix)

You're gonna have to call the cable company to have it un-paired and repaired to your new device. Might as well wait until you get the PCIe version so you can do it all in one call. Just tell them you exchanged tuners, and need to unpair the cablecard from the old device and repair it to the new one.
post #1541 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 147
If they start getting confused, tell them your TIVO died and you bought a new one.
post #1542 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Had a weird one last night. Was watching TV through a 360 extender and up comes "no tuner to satisfy your request" or something close to that. Weird thing was the audio of the show still played and there were no conflicts.
post #1543 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/c...nder-hands-on/

Should be a good competition to the Dish DVR that was announced at CES as well.
post #1544 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

I get that one from time to time as well. Seems like the Ceton needs to reboot (not the computer, just the Ceton) occasionally, this is the first time. If I wait 10 mins or so, it will come back. Go into the card diagnostics and I'll see that it rebooted (PCIE version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideNine View Post

Had a weird one last night. Was watching TV through a 360 extender and up comes "no tuner to satisfy your request" or something close to that. Weird thing was the audio of the show still played and there were no conflicts.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
post #1545 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

OMG, please, oh please, let it have good media compatiblity. I'll sell all my XB360s in a heartbeat and buy these, almost regardless of the cost, if they will play media files and live TV well.

The XB360 is very good at live TV. MKVs, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/c...nder-hands-on/

Should be a good competition to the Dish DVR that was announced at CES as well.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
post #1546 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, that Echo could be a game changer if it works as advertised and is priced right.

Nice work Ceton, now if you could just give me unallocated tuner pooling on my pci-e tuner...
post #1547 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

OMG, please, oh please, let it have good media compatiblity. I'll sell all my XB360s in a heartbeat and buy these, almost regardless of the cost, if they will play media files and live TV well.

The XB360 is very good at live TV. MKVs, not so much.

If you can add xbmc/plex etc to it and it streams media well i am sold!

Edit: and it is funny because a few days ago I asked eric if they had and plans for an extender and he never responded so i had my doubts, but they did!
post #1548 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post

If you can add xbmc/plex etc to it and it streams media well i am sold!

Edit: and it is funny because a few days ago I asked eric if they had and plans for an extender and he never responded so i had my doubts, but they did!

Rest assured that we understand format compatibility is important, and we fully expect to be compatible with all popular formats (ie, stuff that does not play on the 360 should play on us)

Re: Not responding, unfortunately, sometimes I'm put in a position where I really can't say what I do and don't know. This has been one of those times. Speaking of which, there's a few nifty features that I don't see mentioned in the Engadget article - I need to see if I can share those with you. Should be able to find out in a bit.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #1549 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rest assured that we understand format compatibility is important, and we fully expect to be compatible with all popular formats (ie, stuff that does not play on the 360 should play on us)

Re: Not responding, unfortunately, sometimes I'm put in a position where I really can't say what I do and don't know. This has been one of those times. Speaking of which, there's a few nifty features that I don't see mentioned in the Engadget article - I need to see if I can share those with you. Should be able to find out in a bit.

That would be really sweet - especially at the right price! The Engadget article says 2012, and I know these things are notoriously hard to pin down, but can you refine that down to a half/quarter of the year?
post #1550 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Great to hear, and the more info the better. Thanks again!
post #1551 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I tend to feel the same. Seems like the support for their original product has been falling behind since the release of their latest products. Hopefully they don't release anything at CES... or we'll be waiting another year for pixelation fix

Doh! Now we know why the bugs in their current products are not getting fixed. They are putting most of their resources into developing a new Ceton DVR and extender.
post #1552 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Speaking of which, there's a few nifty features that I don't see mentioned in the Engadget article - I need to see if I can share those with you. Should be able to find out in a bit.

What a tease!
post #1553 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Eric, I posted a question in the other thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386351

I'm pointing it out in case you haven't see that thread, maybe we can keep/move discussion of your new DVR/Extender there? There are (probably) a lot of SageTV users who are looking for a multi-room system with good media support and have been disappointed to not find anything. If your extender does have good format support and can work with other tuners it could get a good number of SageTV refugees.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #1554 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

You're gonna have to call the cable company to have it un-paired and repaired to your new device. Might as well wait until you get the PCIe version so you can do it all in one call. Just tell them you exchanged tuners, and need to unpair the cablecard from the old device and repair it to the new one.

Thanks ... does the CableCARD need to physically remain in the USB tuner for the "unpairing", and then be switched to the PCI-e tuner for the re-pairing, or can it be in the PCI-e for the whole time ?
post #1555 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

This is truly a game changer if it can handle all my MKV's and TV. To think I was so fed up with the xbox that I added a second HTPC.

In search of video bliss...
post #1556 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:

there's a few nifty features that I don't see mentioned in the Engadget article - I need to see if I can share those with you. Should be able to find out in a bit.

I hope one of those features is native automatic commercial skipping that works well and you don't have to mess with it much to get working. Yea I know probably not going to happen but I can dream.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #1557 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

I hope one of those features is native automatic commercial skipping that works well and you don't have to mess with it much to get working. Yea I know probably not going to happen but I can dream.

Agreed, losing the ability to have commercial skip is my principal concern with the new box.
post #1558 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge;21459653

Edit: Seems I got over excited for nothing. It's still there:
[url
View Post

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5T2LtGB4_gA/TwnAbJaDrcI/AAAAAAAAAWs/jXqwfIRm69Q/s1110/Pixelation.png[/url]

I also get this pixelation issue all the time with my PCie Ceton Tuner. Last I heard they were looking into it but that was in Nov. 2011. Erickotz any chance we could get an update on this as it appears numerous users are still experiencing the problem?
post #1559 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

Although that would be impressive, I don't see how this could possibly work with copy once content (which is very prevalent with TWC) as the recordings can't be altered, no? If so, I couldn't see Ceton putting effort into it... let's hope I'm wrong!
post #1560 of 4776 Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

Although that would be impressive, I don't see how this could possibly work with copy once content (which is very prevalent with TWC) as the recordings can't be altered, no? If so, I couldn't see Ceton putting effort into it... let's hope I'm wrong!

All the commercial skipping software has to do is analyze the file and create a separate file (such as .xml) that has the skip location timestamps defined. The player would use that file to automatically skip to the correct location in the show. I think that is similar to what the programs do anyway, they just have trouble analyzing the .wtv files.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page