Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

weird, did you guys contact ceton? See none of this stuttering and i only have 3gb of ram available as i'm running win 7 32 bit.

I've only had the card up and running for a couple of days so far and just noticed this yesterday so I figured I'd see if this was a an issue others encountered and resolved first. I plan to contact them if all else fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Liked: 147
I see no studdering and I have WIn7 32bit with 4 GB RAM. Maybe it is a 64bit thing...
post #183 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

I've only had the card up and running for a couple of days so far and just noticed this yesterday so I figured I'd see if this was a an issue others encountered and resolved first. I plan to contact them if all else fails.

I encountered the same problem initially (64bit-4GB RAM) and ultimately traced it to overheating. My Ceton card was too hot to touch. I fixed the problem via a crude-but-effective 80mm fan mounted internally that blows over the card.
post #184 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Well I am using Win7 64 bit.. I just checked the card and currently its at 56 degrees which is fine because they say under 65 degrees.. I will check the temps while watching a premium channel. They really should have included a fan with this thing for $300-$400 if it runs this hot.
post #185 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I've ran my Ceton on both 32 and 64 bit w/ the only issue on HBO being the 29/59 bug which was fixed by changing dynamic range in nvidia control panel to 0-255.

My first Ceton wouldn't even work if reached 50C(only happened on really hot days in the late afternoon), but 56C is normally fine but that still seems high, I'm usually only only reaching 48C and my Ceton is even in my server now w/ the air cooling 22 drives prior to even getting to MB(I do have a couple of 70mm fans mounted above the Ceton and my RAID controllers to aid in heat transfer).

post #186 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Well I'm happy to report I'm playing all the premium channels just fine right now only using 1.6 gigs of ram and about 10-15% CPU. After built my system, I had updated my Intel Graphics Drivers to the newest version and got the BSOD so I did a System Recovery and moved on to the next thing. Apparently I forgot all about it and never updated to a prior version that does work. I can only assume that is what fixed the problem.
post #187 of 4795 Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Thanks, man I can't believe that, I can get it for $268 shipped.

I just got all over this deal. Now to get a multi tuner cablecard from COMCAST...ugh.
post #188 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

I encountered the same problem initially (64bit-4GB RAM) and ultimately traced it to overheating. My Ceton card was too hot to touch. I fixed the problem via a crude-but-effective 80mm fan mounted internally that blows over the card.

I noticed it was hot and setup a fan to blow over the card from the get go. That could easily be the issue.
post #189 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Few notes...

I'm running 4G x2 with win7 Ultimate 64 bit and have no problem viewing and playing anything whatsoever. As mentioned, I do OC a bit and never above 15% CPU usage, watching live TV and recording few shows at the same time. Just watching Live TV usually about 4% or less.

Regarding the temp, I mentioned that in my original thread and I suggest you guys download the little temp monitor WMC app instead of open the Ceton Diagnostic Tool everytime to find out the tuners temp. My Ceton temp is around 52C to 58C and adding a fan is not a bad idea if you are running above 60C IMO.
post #190 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Ahhh, I had a similar thing happen to my card about an hour after I got it! The housing on the back just fell off into my hands.

I have been trying to get in touch with Ceton and the retailer that sold it to me (electronics Castle) and NOBODY is returning my phone calls or email!!!

I really want to finish my machine but I currently have a broken Cetin Infinitv4.

Can somebody here please tell me a good way to get a hold of Ceton?
post #191 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Help!!! The same thing happened to me but I haven't been able to get a hold of a soul for 3 days!!! How did you get into contact with Ceton? Phone #? Email?
post #192 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprirs302 View Post

Help!!! The same thing happened to me but I haven't been able to get a hold of a soul for 3 days!!! How did you get into contact with Ceton? Phone #? Email?

http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/ind...mit/RenderForm
post #193 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

I read this thread and as a result I'm not sure the HDHRP can do what I want after all. Jason specifically stated that tuner allocation between multiple PCs will be done dynamically, and that said allocation will happen on a first come-first serve basis. Thus, as an example if I only had a 3 tuner HDHRP to feed three PCs, and one user decided to watch one show and record two others simultaneously (which I do on occasion), the other two PCs would not have access to any tuner until at least one of them was released by the user tasking all three of them.

There's nothing wrong with dynamic tuner allocation per-se, but it would be nice to be able to define the maximum number of tuners a individual PC could tap simultaneously.

actually, if you can handle the rental for the second cable card. A Ceton 4 and an HD Prime 3.. will give you what you are looking for. If you also have and HD Homerun doing ATSC it would be almost impossible to not have a tuner available for any scenario. I don't have a house full of people all accessing different PC and extenders at the same time so I am getting along fine with the Ceton 4 and an HD Homerun...

The Ceton needs a very solid signal... I am feeding it much better than my Tivo ever got and it still is not rock solid. I am surprised franky they have not released new drivers and firmware in months.. this product is not that mature.

Just another blank signature.
post #194 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

actually, if you can handle the rental for the second cable card. A Ceton 4 and an HD Prime 3.. will give you what you are looking for. If you also have and HD Homerun doing ATSC it would be almost impossible to not have a tuner available for any scenario. I don't have a house full of people all accessing different PC and extenders at the same time so I am getting along fine with the Ceton 4 and an HD Homerun...

The Ceton needs a very solid signal... I am feeding it much better than my Tivo ever got and it still is not rock solid. I am surprised franky they have not released new drivers and firmware in months.. this product is not that mature.

I could just get another Ceton if it can still be had for $268 shipped. Newegg's presale price for the HDHRP 3 tuner is $257 shipped, so it would cost little more to get an extra tuner (sort of: I recognize I'd still have the expense of a rackmount case plus PC internals with enough oomph to handle 8 Ceton tuners).

Note that Ceton did release a firmware upgrade since my initial install ~ 45 days ago. I noted and applied it while doing my last setup for a new CC last week.
post #195 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Few notes...

I'm running 4G x2 with win7 Ultimate 64 bit and have no problem viewing and playing anything whatsoever. As mentioned, I do OC a bit and never above 15% CPU usage, watching live TV and recording few shows at the same time. Just watching Live TV usually about 4% or less.

Regarding the temp, I mentioned that in my original thread and I suggest you guys download the little temp monitor WMC app instead of open the Ceton Diagnostic Tool everytime to find out the tuners temp. My Ceton temp is around 52C to 58C and adding a fan is not a bad idea if you are running above 60C IMO.

That app doesn't seem to work on client machines.

post #196 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

So like I've mentioned I'm almost certainly going to buy this tuner next month, I was wondering since this has been out for awhile now if there are any prominent bugs that people are seeing? Also does anybody use the ceton with jriver media center?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #197 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM

I have submitted at least 3 tickets. I get no confirmation email, no phone call, i have no idea if they are even there.

Does anybody know of another way to contact the company?
post #198 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So like I've mentioned I'm almost certainly going to buy this tuner next month, I was wondering since this has been out for awhile now if there are any prominent bugs that people are seeing? Also does anybody use the ceton with jriver media center?

Assuming the participants on JRiver's forum are correct, it appears that JRMC does not support the Ceton. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62924.0

Personally, I think JRMC will have to support it at some point to be a completely viable media center, especially since it is not free.
post #199 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have submitted at least 3 tickets. I get no confirmation email, no phone call, i have no idea if they are even there.

I haven't heard anything back from them for a post I made Mon morning. Being an early adopter and also being one of the people that's had a lot of problems w/ their Ceton I can tell you that they can be very inconsistent on how quickly they respond, I've seen them get back in just min on a Sun night while other times it took days after me posting several messages. Their responses go both ways too, as I've had some that it's obvious the person didn't even read what has been discussed and done.

post #200 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrad66 View Post

I am running a Gigabyte h67a-ud3h-b3, i5 2500k with 8gb RAM and a c300 64gb SSD/ 2TB WD green combo, and I have similar problems watching HBO, etc. It takes longer for the stutter to manifest, given the greater amount of RAM, but I get the same stutter, and it will ultimately end up crashing WMC. Re-enabling the page-file makes "getting through" an entire episode of Game of Thrones feasible, but there are frame drop-outs still. Streaming the same exact episode to an Xbox from that machine is seamless and stutter free.

I'm pulling my hair out, because I wanted to replace a 3 DVR DirecTV system, but the wife will have none of it at this point. I'll try a complete rebuild after GoT has run its 1st season course - and we've watched them all.

I have almost identical setup and no issues. I'd also make sure you have newest drivers and firmware on the ceton. There have been several firmware updates. If you get a stutter on hd audio channels only (like audio stutter then crash ) then there is a solution for that..... Two ways. Either a: break ms's audio out and let freebie handle it or disable 'allow applications to take exclusive control' on your audio device. Yes, that means ac3 (non truehd) will pass as lpcm, but it would solve the issue.
post #201 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i would bet money that jriver will never officially support the ceton due to the drm requirements. Even sage which is the next best (better?) alternative to WMC doesn't officially support the ceton and requires a hack that basically uses WMC to transfer recordings over to it. Basically the only officially supported game in town is WMC and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future.
post #202 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing you will probably find and it has been hinted at in a post above.. the Ceton may actually work better from a client or extender than from the PC with the card in it. I have not really figured that out yet.

As I pointed out before, it is very touchy regarding signal quality. It can perform perfectly for hours.. other days it will freeze on a channel and you will have to change to another channel than back. That could happen 4 or 5 times in an evening. My brother lives in another part of our area and has a lot more trouble.

Tonight for example I ran 5 hours and only noticed one single audio/frame drop. I could further streamline my feed but I am afraid the signal will get to hot. I am as high as +1 dB as it is. 36.x dB SNR. That should be good enough for any tuner.. I am sure the Ceton is actually seeing some momentary drop in the signal quality when it freezes then I can tell from the internal diagnostic pages.. but it must be very minor because the Tivo feed was down more than 10 dB and the SNR was more like 32 dB SNR before.. and the whole things was way more robutst.

I am not saying the Tivo never hung on Crapcast's signal.. it just did not happen very often and it did it with much more grace. I never sent anything even close to a +1 dB signal to the Tivo.. it might have cooked it from what I read.

There are some timing issues with current drivers/firmware apparently or it would not work so much better on a client or extender.

I now have very good grade AC current from a UPS to the pc powersupply as well as to the cable drop amp and the 1gb ethernet switch. The OS is on SSD, that combo of things and my hot signal made a tremendous difference particulary when you got out to a client or extender where TV runs very smoothly..

When Comcast is loaded down though, particularly around dinner hour... the Ceton can have its trouble. It was not usable on the same feed the Tivo was getting. I had a cheap drop amp at the time and ran the Tivo and Ceton side by side. I was able to AB test them even changing the last cable drops and amp ports. The Tivo would be fine (not stutter at all) and the Ceton would freeze or jump to a blue screen.

I sent one trouble ticket on a weekend to their support group and they were in contact first thing the following Monday AM. The solution they provided was both right and wrong. It fixed one box with the issue and not another. I had figured it out by the time they got back to me anyway..

I am not complaining at all. I just see where it could be very far from an appliance.. you could get lucky and have it work well without special efforts. In my case I really had to throw the kitchen sink at it and I am still not sure I don't need to remove that last passive splitter between the Ceton and the pole. I might move one of the Motorola Broadband Drop amps I now have to where the passive splitter is outside the house. The question is how much (high) and how good does the signal really need to be for these things anyway?

post #203 of 4795 Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i would bet money that jriver will never officially support the ceton due to the drm requirements. Even sage which is the next best (better?) alternative to WMC doesn't officially support the ceton and requires a hack that basically uses WMC to transfer recordings over to it. Basically the only officially supported game in town is WMC and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future.

The Sage hack is at the mercy of your local cable provider. One accidental update of a file on the cable company's server and it everything is marked with copy protect flags and Sage is broken completely. Who will complain if it happens, not anyone with a cable co STB... they will never know. Just a few Tivo guys who move stuff around and the dozen folks in your area who have a Ceton? That won't get the cable company to fix the flags.. besides it might be on purpose not by accident. Either way you could not count on any solution that is not DRM aware and compliant.

I have seen Sage with the Ceton and it works fine on the channels with no flags. I like Sage and if it had the DRM support to assure it would be working tomorrow when I woke up, I would invest heavily in it.

post #204 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Did you try where you bought it? I bought it from FusionDigital, the owner hooked me up to one of the Ceton support and ever since then they are very responsive to my questions.
post #205 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think so too.
post #206 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 AM

I've had my Ceton tuner running for a couple of months without a hitch.. 1 HTPC on one TV and an 2 X-boxes as extenders on the other 2 TV's.

Decided to try the Network tuner utility yesterday so I could have a tuner on my Office PC.. Well, this works great on my HTPC and office PC, but the X-Boxes get hosed with no way to assign tuners to them.

Tried a bunch things and the best I could get is to have an X-box only able to watch the same channel as the HTPC. Leaving tuners unassigned doesn't help, the X-boxes won't take them.

Finally gave up, uninstalled the Network Tuner Utility and reset everything. Is this as designed? There's still no way to share tuners between a mix of PC's and Extenders? Has anyone gotten a similar setup to work?

Basically just want:

Tuner 1 - HTPC
Tuner 2 - Office PC
Tuner 3 - Xbox 1
Tuner 4 - Xbox 2

I just can't get it working
post #207 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Xboxes are extenders for Media Center. You cannot assign the tuners to them. You need to assign the tuners to the Media Center server that the Xboxes are extending.
post #208 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 AM

I did try that.. Assigned 3 tuners to the HTPC (with the xboxes extending) then one to my office PC. The Xboxes still couldn't get a tuner.

Edit.. Messed with everything again this morning.. I've got it working by assigning 3 tuners to the HTPC, but I'm still getting occasional random "no tuner available to satisfy request" errors when there should be tuners available (nothing recording or anything like that).. Many reboots of devices/switches seems to have everything stable for the moment. I'll give it a few days.

thanks!
post #209 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM

I just got my Ceton card today and plan to build my HTPC later tonite. Quick question....how will the channels show up via my Ceton?

On my DVR box that I rent from Cox....NBCHD is channel 1004
On my TV in the bedroom with no box.....NBCHD is channel 13-3
On my PC in the dinning room with a 2250......NBCHD is channel 13-3

So when I use a cable card with Windows Media Center 7......will I get the nice 1004 channel.....or still be stuck with XX-X channels?
post #210 of 4795 Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyman2011 View Post
I just got my Ceton card today and plan to build my HTPC later tonite. Quick question....how will the channels show up via my Ceton?

On my DVR box that I rent from Cox....NBCHD is channel 1004
On my TV in the bedroom with no box.....NBCHD is channel 13-3
On my PC in the dinning room with a 2250......NBCHD is channel 13-3

So when I use a cable card with Windows Media Center 7......will I get the nice 1004 channel.....or still be stuck with XX-X channels?
Channel mapping will be the same as the Cox box

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page