AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The install directions state:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/I...edure_v1_3.pdf
Quote:

iii. MoCA adapter users may require a low pass filter to prevent interference with TV reception on some channels. FIOS
customers should request a low pass filter at the time of installation.

Isn't that clear enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Isn't that clear enough?

No. It is not but thanks for pointing it out.. BTW I am using the USB version. Is it there ?
If it is THANKS FOR POINTING it OUT
post #2493 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Understand, With the knowledge that I received here the next incarnation of the INfiniTV I will have a Low pass filter on hand.
Anyone have a link or any specific specs? Is it a "Radio shack" available item for a few bucks ?
Thx
Lee
post #2494 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr6419 View Post

I tested it with xbmc on my laptop and it worked. The processor and video card in my laptop are pretty crappy so it wasn't usable. It pegged the CPU.

I never could get the guide to work.

It's not for me, however, as I watch a lot of copy protected programming.

What do you mean it worked but you couldn't get the guide to work. Do you mean it just worked out of the box or you figured out a diferent way besides the guide? Also do you know if channels(besides copy protected, like copy freely, or copy once) are recordable or just watchable?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #2495 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

What do you mean it worked but you couldn't get the guide to work. Do you mean it just worked out of the box or you figured out a diferent way besides the guide? Also do you know if channels(besides copy protected, like copy freely, or copy once) are recordable or just watchable?

It is really just a hack right now - nothing more than a proof of concept.

You can only watch right now. Really he probably would have been better off using RemotePotato as a base I think.

The real project to watch is the XBMC PVR branch - but even there we will probably never see protected content support. Maybe someday there will be XBMC hook into some sort of PlayReady API -but I am not holding my breath.

I had been running XBMC for a LONG time and tried to stick with it(launching from WMC etc etc) when I first got the Ceton - but in the end switched to WMC and MediaBrowser with Shark007 codec pack. I am happy with it... I have everything very tightly integrated now.

xnappo
post #2496 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

You can only watch right now. Really he probably would have been better off using RemotePotato as a base I think.

The real project to watch is the XBMC PVR branch - but even there we will probably never see protected content support. Maybe someday there will be XBMC hook into some sort of PlayReady API -but I am not holding my breath.

I had been running XBMC for a LONG time and tried to stick with it(launching from WMC etc etc) when I first got the Ceton - but in the end switched to WMC and MediaBrowser with Shark007 codec pack. I am happy with it... I have everything very tightly integrated now.

xnappo

Is there anything in the cable labs requirements that say open source projects can't request certification? If they got someone with deep pockets to fund the $200k certification fee or whatever it is? I would LOVE for XBMC to use my Ceton for protected content.

-Brian
post #2497 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

xnappo

I don't care about protected content, eveyrthing I get is copy freely or copy once maybe. If the pvr branch doesn't support cablecard its no good to me. Even if it is a hack and as long as it runs smoothly and I can watch live tv in xbmc that's all I care about. Recorded shows is a plus but not a necessity.I much prefer xbmc over wmc/mediaabrowser.

post #2498 of 4790 Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

A number of factors can come into play, including whether MoCA is on or off on the ONT, signal strength, etc.

I'd bet your CableCARD isn't paired, and they have the channel set to Copy Once

erickotz,

Figured I would update on my mysterious missing or unable to view premium channel issue. As of Tuesday all my channels were back on. The free preview of Stars/HBO went away and my channels returned. I would think that the two events are definitely somehow related or so it appears on the surface. I have requested a Verizon service call to install a low pass filter. I am just not convinced that will solve this issue but worth a try. Has Ceton ever seen/heard of other Verizon FIOS users suffering the same. There was a report here of content flag changes during this preview,

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r270...Flags-changed-

Could this be root cause?

In search of video bliss...
post #2499 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't care about protected content, eveyrthing I get is copy freely or copy once maybe. If the pvr branch doesn't support cablecard its no good to me. Even if it is a hack and as long as it runs smoothly and I can watch live tv in xbmc that's all I care about. Recorded shows is a plus but not a necessity.I much prefer xbmc over wmc/mediaabrowser.

Then yeah, it will do what you want... For setting up recordings, for now look into remotepotato - that way you could setup recordings in the background.

Regarding the PVR branch, one of the options uses mythTV as the backend, and I believe there is now support for unprotected Ceton content...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8JrnC4EinU
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4

That would be a big project - but if I were not on $#^%# TWC that sets everything except locals to copy once, that is where I would be.

xnappo
post #2500 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then yeah, it will do what you want... For setting up recordings, for now look into remotepotato - that way you could setup recordings in the background.

Regarding the PVR branch, one of the options uses mythTV as the backend, and I believe there is now support for unprotected Ceton content...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8JrnC4EinU
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4

That would be a big project - but if I were not on $#^%# TWC that sets everything except locals to copy once, that is where I would be.

xnappo

Thanks

post #2501 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

No problem - I just reread your original post and saw the 'or copy once maybe'. To be clear you will NOT be able to view copy once content.

xnappo
post #2502 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem - I just reread your original post and saw the 'or copy once maybe'. To be clear you will NOT be able to view copy once content.

xnappo

Last time I checked the majority was copy freely.

post #2503 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Isn't that clear enough?

I am sure your intentions are good and trying to help, but is yelling necessary?

Also eric or someone who knows can you please let me know instructions for installing a low pass filter?
post #2504 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

I am sure your intentions are good and trying to help, but is yelling necessary?

Also eric or someone who knows can you please let me know instructions for installing a low pass filter?

Just put it in between the cable from the wall and the Ceton jack.

xnappo
post #2505 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post

Is there anything in the cable labs requirements that say open source projects can't request certification? If they got someone with deep pockets to fund the $200k certification fee or whatever it is? I would LOVE for XBMC to use my Ceton for protected content.

-Brian

Devices that implement the DRI do not have to be CL certification. You just need to support a supported DRM (which essentially means WMDRM now) to use copy once content. Copy once content can be implemented with no certification/licensing by anyone.
From what I remember, getting WMDRM certified by MS is about $15k, so while not exactly pocket change, it's a lot cheaper than $200,000. However, one thing to keep in mind is getting WMDRM certified may be mutually exclusive with open source - most likely, the part of the software that handles DRM would have to be closed-source, however the rest of the program could be open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

erickotz,

Figured I would update on my mysterious missing or unable to view premium channel issue. As of Tuesday all my channels were back on. The free preview of Stars/HBO went away and my channels returned. I would think that the two events are definitely somehow related or so it appears on the surface. I have requested a Verizon service call to install a low pass filter. I am just not convinced that will solve this issue but worth a try. Has Ceton ever seen/heard of other Verizon FIOS users suffering the same. There was a report here of content flag changes during this preview,

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r270...Flags-changed-

Could this be root cause?

Most likely. I am not a FiOS customer, but from what I've heard, when they do a free preview weekend the drop encryption on the channel entirely, making it ClearQAM. The now-ClearQAM channel no longer has a CCI (CCI trumps all for copy protection flags), which means that any embedded signals (like CGMS) control the OCUR's output. That sounds like what's happening here. Yes, we know that you can just tune it with a ClearQAM tuner without copy protection, but we are required to behave in this manner by CableLabs, and they have resisted a change thus far.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #2506 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Devices that implement the DRI do not have to be CL certification. You just need to support a supported DRM (which essentially means WMDRM now) to use copy once content. Copy once content can be implemented with no certification/licensing by anyone.
From what I remember, getting WMDRM certified by MS is about $15k, so while not exactly pocket change, it's a lot cheaper than $200,000. However, one thing to keep in mind is getting WMDRM certified may be mutually exclusive with open source - most likely, the part of the software that handles DRM would have to be closed-source, however the rest of the program could be open.

Thanks for the info Eric - I know Ceton is resource limited, but it sure would be nice if you had an API/DLL and example stand-alone application that did this Then the open source projects could just link in - this is actually how the XBMC PVR is being developed - it is meant to be a front-end to another back-end system.

xnappo
post #2507 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info Eric - I know Ceton is resource limited, but it sure would be nice if you had an API/DLL and example stand-alone application that did this Then the open source projects could just link in - this is actually how the XBMC PVR is being developed - it is meant to be a front-end to another back-end system.

xnappo

Well, the whole video output path has to be protected - I'm not a dev, so I don't fully understand what it entails, but it's would basically have to be a video playback library.

post #2508 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the whole video output path has to be protected - I'm not a dev, so I don't fully understand what it entails, but it's would basically have to be a video playback library.

Yep

I'm not a dev either - but basically an external player that you can call with either a WTV file or a channel to tune request would work great with XBMC and the other 'Open' media centers.

I *sort-of* had this working just calling ehshell.exe (WMC) from XBMC for .wtv files - but it had enough quirks that it failed for WAF - mainly that it did not cleanly go back to XBMC after playing a file.

xnappo
post #2509 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most likely. I am not a FiOS customer, but from what I've heard, when they do a free preview weekend the drop encryption on the channel entirely, making it ClearQAM. The now-ClearQAM channel no longer has a CCI (CCI trumps all for copy protection flags), which means that any embedded signals (like CGMS) control the OCUR's output. That sounds like what's happening here. Yes, we know that you can just tune it with a ClearQAM tuner without copy protection, but we are required to behave in this manner by CableLabs, and they have resisted a change thus far.

I am not 100% sure I understand (fully) so please let me know if I am way off base. Does this mean that during free preview events my CETON tuner will not be able to tune to these channels? Perhaps a workaround exists?

post #2510 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Just put it in between the cable from the wall and the Ceton jack.

xnappo

Thanks
post #2511 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:

The now-ClearQAM channel no longer has a CCI (CCI trumps all for copy protection flags), which means that any embedded signals (like CGMS) control the OCUR's output.

Eric: Can you explain the sentence please? I understand that there is no CCI, but don't follow next part "which means that any embedded signals (like CGMS) control the OCUR's output"
post #2512 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:

Thanks

You use Ethernet for your Internet, right? You can put it at the MoCA box where it comes it first starts being Coax. If you use Coax for your Internet, then you need to put it on the output side of the splitter that goes to the Ceton Tuner. The LPF will stop Coax Internet from working if it is in the path to the Coax router at all.
post #2513 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You use Ethernet for your Internet, right? You can put it at the MoCA box where it comes it first starts being Coax. If you use Coax for your Internet, then you need to put it on the output side of the splitter that goes to the Ceton Tuner. The LPF will stop Coax Internet from working if it is in the path to the Coax router at all.

Thanks
post #2514 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

No - not if the problem is the STBs sending MoCA pings because they will all be past the filter. A MoCA ping from the STB will get to the tuner card.

Either way he should put it right at the Ceton card.

xnappo
post #2515 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Network Card(s): 4 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Connection Name: Local Area Connection
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: N/A
IP address(es)
[02]: 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.1.100
[02]: fe80::d0ea:9d3f:da52:478c
[03]: Ceton USB InfiniTV Network Device
Connection Name: Local Area Connection 3
DHCP Server: N/A
IP address(es)
[04]: MAC Bridge Miniport
Connection Name: Network Bridge
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.1.106
[02]: fe80::8d26:83bd:e0b3:3b92

Do I need to disable my wireless LAN card and my MAC Bridge Miniport (not even sure what this is)?
post #2516 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not 100% sure I understand (fully) so please let me know if I am way off base. Does this mean that during free preview events my CETON tuner will not be able to tune to these channels? Perhaps a workaround exists?

No it does not - it means that they may be treated as copy once during free preview. You can still/record them as long as your DVR supports copy once content

Quote:

Eric: Can you explain the sentence please? I understand that there is no CCI, but don't follow next part "which means that any embedded signals (like CGMS) control the OCUR's output"

CCI is an out of band signal signal. Normally it overrides things, but if it isn't present, it will fall back to an in-band signal like APS, CGMS-A, RC, etc (if they are present).

post #2517 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No it does not - it means that they may be treated as copy once during free preview. You can still/record them as long as your DVR supports copy once content

by DVR do you mean WMC/CETON combo? As far as i would know they do, no? So would you recommend a case with Ceton or Fios to determine why my premium channels blacked out over the weekend?

post #2518 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

by DVR do you mean WMC/CETON combo? As far as i would know they do, no? So would you recommend a case with Ceton or Fios to determine why my premium channels blacked out over the weekend?

Yup, I meant WMC/Ceton. You would probably want to start with us, but unless you have a diagnostic capture from the InfiniTV while tuned to that channel (and the problem occurring) we really can't help

post #2519 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, I meant WMC/Ceton. You would probably want to start with us, but unless you have a diagnostic capture from the InfiniTV while tuned to that channel (and the problem occurring) we really can't help

luckily i do and you already have it (I have a open tix with Ceton already). I noticed the problem at sametime as Ceton was working my network tuner issue. Every log I took post discovering the anomoly was whle i was tuned to channel 840 and kept seeing in the CETON diagnostic the odd error in the last box when i clicked cablecard tab.

post #2520 of 4790 Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post

If by flickering you mean flashing light across the entire screen (not the single band of pixelation reported by others) I had the same issue with the last 2 versions of the nVidia drivers and a GeForce 210. Initially had the problem with version 285.62, found a thread that I can't seem to locate right now that indicated setting Digital Color Format under Adjust Desktop Color Settings in the nVidia Control Panel to YCbCr444 from RGB resolved it for them. I did this and the flashing was gone.

Installed 295.73 and had the flashing problem even after the RGB change, but not on every channel. Ditto for 296.10. Reverting back to 285.62 with the RGB change resolved it on every channel.

I'm having this issue as well but I have Intel i3 with HD2000 graphics, Ceton card. I only see it on a handful of channels (HBO, Showtime, TLC). It's like a background flashing, especially on light color backgrounds. I have updated to the latest Intel drive. I don't see any sort of Intel utility that would allow me to change the Digital Color Format.

Any advice?

UPDATE:

I poked around some more and fixed the problem. In the lower right corner of Windows, there are these hidden icons. One is for Intel HD Graphics. I went into Advanced Settings -> Media -> Image Enhancement. I unchecked Adaptive Contrast Enhancement and the problem went away.

I do seem to now have an issue with that stupid Showtime logo having a slight flicker but I can live with it. Whew, glad the flicker issue is resolved.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page