Logitech Harmony One vs Logitech Harmony 900 vs Logitech Mini - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Debating which one of these I should pick up.

Currently I use what I consider to be an entry level Lenovo Mouse/Keyboard ($27) and also am trying out the Dell/Gyration remote ($50). Neither of these can control other AV equipment.

I want something that can control my whole AV system (HTPC, AV receiver, HDTV, Directv DVR, etc).

I am open to other suggestions...

The 3 contenders:

Logtich Harmony 900 RF ($280.00 )

Logitech Harmony One ($190)

Logitech Mini Controller ($130)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you need RF? If so then there's your choice. If not, then I don't see the point in spending the extra money for it.

I have a Harmony 720 (6 soft buttons vs 8 I believe on the One, probably some other differences as well) and a Dinovo Edge keyboard. I use the 720 exclusively for movie / TV watching, only grab the Edge when I'm doing more computer centric tasks (updates, forum reading / responding, etc). While I've never used the Mini, I don't believe it can control other equipment? Perhaps with a IR blaster and EventGhost or some other IR software you could get it to work, but you'd likely have to program every command, whereas the One has virtually everything already preprogrammed via download.

So, I'd recommend the One (or an older model via Ebay if you don't need to control as many devices as the One offers) or the RF version if you require RF.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
The only two choices are the One and 900 since the Mini can't control the AV devices either (without getting into EventGhost with an IR transmitter).

With either of the Harmony remote options you'll still need a USB IR receiver. If your components are not hidden then you don't need the 900's RF blaster ability so you could just get the One. If you do need to control hidden components then you get the One if you do need to control hidden components then you get the 900 or the One with an IR extender.

Why are you set on Logitech anyway?

Edit: I think I said the same thing as brianley... I would have beat him if I didn't get a phone call!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll just expand on the Logitech issue.

It would be hard to talk someone out of a Harmony remote if it is their first step into the world of universal remotes. They have a very good price to feature set combo. What they lack is durability and custom programming. If you don't have children or hardwood flooring then they will last a bit longer. If you can do everything you need to do within their walled-garden of programming then you may not care what other remotes offer over a Harmony.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am not set on only harmony. I just don't know any other options.

What else should I be looking at?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
i prefer my URCs
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i'm looking into a programmable universal remote as well, but not one that costs more than my htpc to begin with Anything else out there more affordable? Durability is critical.. i have 2 kids
Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

i prefer my URCs

I was holding back recommending URC since he put a after the price of the 900.

But cheaping out on a remote is like putting a Fisher Price toy steering wheel in your Rolls Royce. It is the interface to your entertainment center so why not make it a good one?

I went through about 5 Harmony remotes (combination of 880s and 890s) with each one of them failing for one reason or another. Luckily they were all able to be replaced under either Logitech's or Visa's warranty coverage. My last 890 was RMA replaced with a 900 that I immediately sold to fund my URC MX-980 w/ MRF-350 combo. No more Harmony remotes for me.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I was holding back recommending URC since he put a after the price of the 900.

But cheaping out on a remote is like putting a Fisher Price toy steering wheel in your Rolls Royce. It is the interface to your entertainment center so why not make it a good one?

If fisher price made a remote, i'd buy it

The best remote is a simple one that my wife and kids can use.. the last thing i want to do is hand them something that costs 300.00 that they can sit on, get their sticky fingers on or get lost
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 AM

I have both the mini and 900 & they both work great.

My Denon has a zone 2 that powers my patio speakers. I can play music on the patio and switch tracks from outside 50 ft away or in the kitchen. Also, it is very quick controlling my HTPC and volume from my Denon without having to point at the system. I have several of these good looking icons on the harmony, my kids can easily find sprout, disney & PBS by icon instead of channel number without the help from Mom or myself. My 3 year old can operate it.
The mini is a good looking gadget & well hidden on my fireplace mantel, my wife (or little kids) would not put up with a keyboard sitting out in my family room. I have no desire to try searching YouTube with a remote. It makes life fast and easy when performing little configuration tweaks and such.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would love to have RF. Its nice when you are not right in front of the TV and want to turn something up, down, etc.

Of course my Denon isn't RF so I would still have to aim it at that. So maybe the IR version for $100 less (the Harmony One) would be a good choice.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I would love to have RF. Its nice when you are not right in front of the TV and want to turn something up, down, etc.

Of course my Denon isn't RF so I would still have to aim it at that. So maybe the IR version for $100 less (the Harmony One) would be a good choice.

I don't think you are understanding what a RF universal remote does.

Here is a link to my FAQs in the remote forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1318737

A universal RF remote ONLY uses RF to communicate with its RF to IR base station. Universal RF remotes cannot actually learn RF from other devices such as your Lenovo keyboard or RF based WMC remotes. In most cases you must have an IR input on your device to be able to use a RF universal remote. There are some RF to RS-232 controllers out there.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

I have 2 Harmony Ones, (as well as a mini) and I love them all. I've had the first One for about 3 years now, no hardware issues or problems, although I don't have kids so take that for what it's worth. The One is about as "idiot proof" as you can make a remote once you have it configured, even for larger A/V installations. Configure your Activity and the components necessary to run that Activity, and after that it's a single button to start everything up in the correct order (HTPCs included).

There is no need for an IR repeater with the One unless your components are spread around or out of the room. I can easily change channels on my 360 extender in the living room from 25' away in the kitchen as long as I'm aiming the remote in the general direction.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm thinking about the Harmony One now.

Pretty sweet design and setup.

Plus (as this guys so eloquently states) the WAF is pretty high.

Somebody push me a little farther one way or another.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM

Liked: 13
If you want one of the better solutions out there, then look at Event Ghost.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I have two 900's and a Harmony one, along w/ a couple of 890 Pro's that I use.

I have to echo that which was said about durability. My house is a veritable graveyard of old 880's, an old 1000, etc. And each has died for one reason or another. For some, the volume buttons no longer work. For others, one tumble to the floor courtesy of the tail of one of my Great Danes and the screen was toast.

As you asked about the 900 and the One.

The good of both:

1) They've solved the issue with VERY fickle recharging in the charging cradles that we had with the 880's and 890's.

2) Very affordable

3) easily customized

4) Much better touchscreen than the 1000 was. I haven't tried the 1100, but I'm very wary about it.

5) feels good in your hands. You don't have to rely on the touchscreen that frequently (good for dimly lit HT's)

The big con:

1) the 900 has this uncanny ability to have communication problems with the RF extender at the most inopportune times (like, say, when your trying to stop a FF). This can become incredibly unnerving.

If you don't need the RF capability or a KB, the One is a no-brainer imo.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Although I'm using an 1100 right now, I love the One. I had 0 issues with it, even after one of my jack russell's bit into the screen.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 AM

I have both the Harmony One and the Mini and can recommend both of them.

But the Mini is just a keyboard & touch pad that connects to your PC via bluetooth. It is not a remote control.

The 900 is basicly a One with a remote IR transmitter. It would be be a good choice if you had components where you don't have line of sight.

If you do have line of sight save yourself $100 and get the One instead.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:

I went through about 5 Harmony remotes (combination of 880s and 890s) with each one of them failing for one reason or another. Luckily they were all able to be replaced under either Logitech's or Visa's warranty coverage. My last 890 was RMA replaced with a 900 that I immediately sold to fund my URC MX-980 w/ MRF-350 combo. No more Harmony remotes for me.

I've had a 885 (UK version of 880) for over five years and it's been rock solid throughout.

And since the arrival of my daughter it's survived numerous encounters with a bare wood floor (from height). It's even survived an incident with a bottle of beer that only resulted in slightly sticking buttons for a couple of weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddHealy View Post

The 900 is basicly a One with a remote IR transmitter. It would be be a good choice if you had components where you don't have line of sight.

If you do have line of sight save yourself $100 and get the One instead.

Personally I find the lack of hard red/yellow/green/blue buttons on the One to be intensely annoying and an extra $100/£100 to get them on the 900 is a bit much. It's the one thing making me stick with the 885.

Just about every TV and STB in Europe uses them and they're a standard feature on Blu-ray remotes. It's about time the One was updated, it's the only remote in the whole Harmony range without these hard buttons.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer View Post

I've had a 885 (UK version of 880) for over five years and it's been rock solid throughout.

And since the arrival of my daughter it's survived numerous encounters with a bare wood floor (from height). It's even survived an incident with a bottle of beer that only resulted in slightly sticking buttons for a couple of weeks!

Personally I find the lack of hard red/yellow/green/blue buttons on the One to be intensely annoying and an extra $100/£100 to get them on the 900 is a bit much. It's the one thing making me stick with the 885.

Just about every TV and STB in Europe uses them and they're a standard feature on Blu-ray remotes. It's about time the One was updated, it's the only remote in the whole Harmony range without these hard buttons.

Yep - seconded. It's why I've not even considered a One. Not being able to "Press Red" is a major issue in the UK (it's the main way of accessing the BBC's excellent digital text and interactive TV service broadcast on all platforms) The faff of programming them as soft buttons just means that isn't a solution.

Quite a few remotes don't have dedicated TEXT buttons either for Teletext, which is a requirement for many other European countries, or a SUBTITL button for subtitles.

It's a balancing act for hard buttons vs soft buttons - but I've always struggled with Logitech remotes in this regard. Great concept, very well executed, but not quite perfect for how I use my TV in Europe.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Okay so I just pulled the trigger on the Harmony One because Amazon has it right now for $146.

Now I just need to get an IR receiver. I think I am going to go with the Rosewill.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Just get the HP Media Center IR Receiver from eBay. It should be no more than $15 shipped.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just get the HP Media Center IR Receiver from eBay. It should be no more than $15 shipped.

Thanks. Just ordered one for $9.89 shipped.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Thanks. Just ordered one for $9.89 shipped.

The good thing about this one, other than being cheap, is that it also has an IR transmitter. Using EventGhost you can have it control other devices.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM

I can only attest to my experience with Harmony Remotes.

My very first 880 had battery/door issues which was inherent among the first produced.

Harmony QUICKLY sent me a new one without waiting on me to send my original first. They also sent me a shipping label to cover shipping costs when I did ship it after receiving the replacement first.

My replacement 880 has been dunked in a glass of water, stepped on, dropped, and *ahem* HURLED across the room colliding with a wall and door. Only to be picked up and used as normal. Only a slight rattle is evident when rotating, which can be somewhat normal to these remotes.

YMMV
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfoxman View Post

Only a slight rattle is evident when rotating, which can be somewhat normal to these remotes.

YMMV

The rattle is normal and it is what is used to turn on the LCD screen when picked up. It is part of the motion sensor. I assume it is a little bearing that completes a circuit.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a good alternative to a Harmony One for much less money, plus it is upgradable to RF with a separate extender.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-ARRX1.../dp/B002N1J7DU

It is the only other remote that can control DirecTV boxes directly via RF.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 PM

Has anyone used the below remote from AR?
I was looking at buying a Harmony 900 today as my HTPC, and AV equipment are in my office which is out of sight of the living room and bedroom (two different floors of the house). However, after looking at the below remote and the RF extender I am considering ordering two of the AR remotes and one ore two RF extenders. This way I can have a remote upstairs and another one downstairs. Also, if someone drops the AR remote I won't feel the urge to beat them with it (unlike the Harmony 900).

Quote:

Here is a good alternative to a Harmony One for much less money, plus it is upgradable to RF with a separate extender.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-ARRX1.../dp/B002N1J7DU

It is the only other remote that can control DirecTV boxes directly via RF.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 AM

http://www.mobilemouse.com/
take a look at this its a decent alternative especially when combined with other apps to control everything
Old 06-22-2011, 05:23 AM

Liked: 13
In place of the Harmony 880 I use the Monster AVL300. It is a clone of the 880, except it seems to be more durable and is a little better with Zwave products. The best thing about it is the price. You can buy it with RF base station for less than half the cost of a Harmony RF remote.http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...ign=MCC-AVL300