Manually setting DNS settings. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope it's ok to post this here. I figure the most computer literate hang here and I'm getting a lot of bum information.

I'm trying to connect my Blu Ray player to my router. I'll post models and types if necessary but I hope this is a general purpose question.

My Blu Ray player and router will not talk to one another when I try to automatically detect dns setting via the telvision screens player GUI.

I've tried everything for days talking with the tech support of four different devices and it's a no go.

So I'm manually inputting my DNS settings as displayed via ipconfig/all on my connected laptop.

Now three support technicians at Charter have advised me that that is fine, except that since I could not get the player to auto detect, it will eventually come into conflict with the dynamic IP addresses issued to my router from the ISP. In despair I went back to the Netgear forum and started trying to work out the auto detect angle again. Someone over there said that the Charter techs are incorrect. He recommended that I take the DNS info from ipconfig...

IPCONFIG

IP Address 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

and enter it into the blu ray manual setting fields

IP Address 192.168.1.51
Subnet Mask 225.225.225.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 4.2.2.2

I'm not sure where the 4.2.2.2 comes from. The 51, he suggests, should be entered for any number between 2 and 50 in the fourth field of the original IP.

But he still has not answered my question as to whether this will work as well as the auto detected DNS settings in regard to what the Charter techs were warning me of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM

Liked: 13
If your blu ray player isn't talking automatically...all you should have to do is manually enter the gateway (192.168.1.1).

DNS and IP should then dynamically be assigned. The DNS server will also be 192.168.1.1 (the router gets its assigned DNS servers from the ISP) since it acts as the DNS for computers attached to the router.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 PM

4.2.2.2 is one of Google's public DNS servers.

My Samsung BD-P2500 won't even obtain an IP address from my router if it's over a wireless bridge, but it will if directly connected via CAT5.

I just put the IP address and DNS settings in manually and it's fine.

You just need to ensure that whatever manual IP address you put in is outside the range that your router assigns as DHCP addresses, and you will never have a conflict.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First off, there is no DNS conflict because when you tell your BR player to use a fixed DNS, it also means the BR player is not bothering to ask ANYBODY to fill its DNS entry.

If u use fixed (static) IP however, there is a chance there will be a conflict because the DHCP server may start assigning the same IP you used as static for something else, but of course you can always configure your DHCP with a range of pre-assigned static IP and NEVER assign them as dynamic. But this is needlessly complicated.

Am guessing 99% your router is not configured properly. For example, my router obtains a WAN IP from the ISP, and WAN IP is the remote router your router talks to. There is a field on my router that says use THIS WAN IP as DNS and pass it along to my LAN (LAN=internal network). So the router DHCP picks this up, and when your inside devices ask for a DNS, the DHCP dutyfully passes this info along the dynamic IPs. THAT'S A VERY STANDARD WAY to configure things, but there are many, many ways to muck it up.

Sometimes the DHCP will simply passes on its own IP as DNS, and when a device request DNS service from it, it simply pass along this request to the real DNS it learned from the ISP.

I have a mixture of hard wired and WIFI, everything works peachy.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobster View Post

You just need to ensure that whatever manual IP address you put in is outside the range that your router assigns as DHCP addresses, and you will never have a conflict.

or you could just reserve that IP for that device so your router never tries to use it for DHCP. at least i know my router has that option.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thank you all very much for that. I'm on a fast learning curve here.

Quote:

4.2.2.2 is one of Google's public DNS servers.

Does it offer any advantage over using the default gateway address?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frascati View Post

Wow. Thank you all very much for that. I'm on a fast learning curve here.

Does it offer any advantage over using the default gateway address?

actually, 4.2.2.2 isn't google, it's pre-google.
read more here: http://www.tummy.com/Community/Artic...us-dns-server/ and here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/169983-46-what

i use google's dns, which is 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
and does that work better? of course it does, it's google! lol

you can read about it here: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

i used to use charter's dns and was always having issues with it, but no problems since switching.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page