mini HTPC build (Habey EMC-800B, i3-2100T, SSD, etc.) - KEEPING IT SIMPLE - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 364 Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

This is what I bought. See how similar it is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Receiver-...ht_1303wt_1402

And that connects to an onboard usb port. The type you would connect for a usb controller from your motherboard. For example the front of most cases that have usb ports plug into these.

google "onboard motherboard usb" there should be some illustration on google images.

The link is to a receiver that requires a CIR header on the motherboard. This is not a USB header.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 364 Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs2tx View Post

The link is to a receiver that requires a CIR header on the motherboard. This is not a USB header.

Not sure why it works then. I have bought two of these for two different machines and they work.

You are correct though. Maybe the one I bought was different. From the ebay listing description:

Features

· Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 Certification and Green Button support

· 48 button Back Lit remote

· Includes all of the buttons and functions necessary for Microsoft certification, including the official Green Button.

· Small USB internal receiver with a custom USB cable for your motherboard header

· Uses standard Microsoft drivers, no software to install.

· Protocol: RC6 IR Protocol. Guaranteed to work with our CIR Receiver.

EDIT: I POSTED THE WRONG LINK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTPC-MCE-Bac...#ht_883wt_1402

That is what I have. Sorry.

BUT the description posted above still is for the CIR model. Which is strange and maybe a typo on the listing.
post #183 of 364 Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Liked: 10
The version that works with a CIR header is able to wake from off (S5) and from hibernate (S4), which the USB version probably can't do.

Inteset says that it's possible to rewire the motherboard end of the CIR receiver's cable so that it works with non-Intel motherboards with other CIR headers, such as the AsRock Pro3-M. This has been done by users at their own risk.

See this thread at Inteset for an example of matching the pinouts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cyrix PR166+ → AMD K6 200 → Intel Celeron 266 → AMD Athlon 1GHz → AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ → Intel i5-2500K
post #184 of 364 Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Liked: 13
So the IR receiver in that ebay link will work on the asus h61-i that i'm looking to buy? Just plug it into a usb header?
post #185 of 364 Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4real View Post

The version that works with a CIR header is able to wake from off (S5) and from hibernate (S4), which the USB version probably can't do.
Inteset says that it's possible to rewire the motherboard end of the CIR receiver's cable so that it works with non-Intel motherboards with other CIR headers, such as the AsRock Pro3-M. This has been done by users at their own risk.

See this thread at Inteset for an example of matching the pinouts.

Ok that rules out the usb version! i need wake from sleep.
post #186 of 364 Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Ok that rules out the usb version! i need wake from sleep.

I use S3 sleep and can resume from sleep via my Logitech Harmony remote.
post #187 of 364 Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Just finished building this weekend:

Intel DH67CFB3
Intel I3 2100T
2 X 4GB Corsair 1.35v
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
2 X Startech 50mm Fan

Installed a pico psu 150w but was problematic and could only use one case fan. Case fans could only fit on right side of case due to width of Intel board on the left side. So am currently using the Habey psu. Temps are very high. Idle at approx 47C. Room temp at about 78F. Playing a blue ray mkv from server the temp went to 71C and stayed there. This is just off the green scale as indicated by the supplied Intel utility program. The temp coming out of sleep is 38C. All temps are CPU by the way. The case fans are silent and do blow some air but just not enough. I may reattach the heat sink with some diamond grease or just try a different case. The case is just to small. The SSD actually rests on the heat sink and causes the mounting bracket to bow sightly. Can't be good on the SSD, CPU, or motherboard. Maybe a Rosewill RC-CIX-01. I think I should have used the Intel DH61AG with an mSata and just an exterior power brick. This would allow more space for air in the little Habey case.
post #188 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM

I have a habey emc-800 with the asrock h67m-itx.

I was planning on using a usb wifi so I didn't splurge for the ht version.

Now I'm wondering if I can get a mPCIe to PCEe adapter and install an intel 6300 wifi card or get a ssd.

What do you guys think about these adapters? Would the wifi be better than usb?
post #189 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhzpower View Post

I have a habey emc-800 with the asrock h67m-itx.

I was planning on using a usb wifi so I didn't splurge for the ht version.

Now I'm wondering if I can get a mPCIe to PCEe adapter and install an intel 6300 wifi card or get a ssd.

What do you guys think about these adapters? Would the wifi be better than usb?

My wifi via USB is incredible. I can't tell a difference from it and the PCI-e wireless that I have in my desktop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #190 of 364 Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Sorry if some of this has already been posted, but I haven't read the last two pages.

I recently built a Habey 600 with Asus H61 and i3-2100t with stock cooler. Cooling was terrible, and the fan noise from the cooler was way too loud. I made sure the cooler was seated properly which it was. So I decided to get the Silverstone NT7-1156 cooler and a 50mm case fan. That dropped my temps considerably, at least 10 degrees, and now the computer is nice and quiet again. I think most of it has to do with the new CPU cooler, since I can barely feel any air flow coming from the case fan. I also used some better grease than what comes with the stock Intel cooler, so that probably helped as well.

I also wanted to mention that the Silverstone cooler is a very tight fit. The top of the cooler hits the hard drive mounting plate, and I am not able to mount the hard drive anywhere on the plate without it hitting the cooler. I put the HD in the front of the case sandwiched between some cables and the HD mounting plate. There is just enough pressure there to make it stay put, but not so much as to damage anything. I would use velcro, but I think that would add just enough thickness to not make it fit there anymore. I am going to leave it alone as long as it continues to stay put. Anyhow, I just wanted to give others a heads up for anyone considering the same case and cooler.
post #191 of 364 Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

My wifi via USB is incredible. I can't tell a difference from it and the PCI-e wireless that I have in my desktop.

My USB wireless adapter works quite well also. I have this adapter from MonoPrice. It is better than the PCI card I used. Newegg used to sell a PremierTek that looked very similar for about $20 more. I assume both share the same OEM part. Several reviews from both sites mentioned the great signal strength, and I have to agree. It has the best signal strength of any wireless adapter I have used with an omni-directional antenna.
post #192 of 364 Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

post #193 of 364 Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Interesting, but no surprise since they are OEM.

Perhaps I'm getting old but that review is completely indecipherable to me in terms of use of english language =)

I'm really curious about that chassis on page 2 of the review. Anyone recognize it? Also, that back plate used on the Habey on page 1 is interesting as well.

Went to the mfger's website, didn't glean much but would love to see a component break down of those boxes.

Goofing around I did notice that Habey makes an even thinner profile case, here: http://www.habeyusa.com/products_sho...u=ChildMenu112. But it doesn't look like it is for sale as chassis component. That would be an interesting box to work with.
post #194 of 364 Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 PM

I took some temp readings with the stock cooler on a G620T. They are attached.

I'm also curious if anyone thinks its possible to use a heat pipe cooler without the fan. I know I need a cooler that is 30mm or less. The evercool HPL-815EP looks like it might work without the fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835119153

If I add the chassis fan, could I manage about the same temps with the evercool heatpipe cooler?

Hmm.

CPU Temp Load Compare.pdf 241.455078125k . file
post #195 of 364 Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM

There is no way I would ever run that box without *something* moving air around. CPU temps might be fine but I'd worry about the rest of your components, too.
post #196 of 364 Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 AM

I bought some 35mm Lian Li case feet for my Habey and glued them to the bottom of the case. Look much more classy with the feet, and elevates it a bit off the ground for slightly more ventilation on the small bottom holes.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10..._-_4_Pack.html
post #197 of 364 Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM

anyone have trouble installing a slim dvd drive? I'm having issues getting the drive to line up properly with the slot on the chassis. If I do manage to get it lined up, I cant screw the metal plate (hard drive bay) the holes.

What did you guys do to get it all lined up?

Thanks for your help!
post #198 of 364 Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM

Just completed my build last night

Habey 800
Intel i3 2100 w/ Silverstone Nt7 cooler
Asus H61-i mobo
G skill rip jaw x 4gb
ocz vertex 2 50gb ssd
No dvd rom, i installed windows from a usb stick.

This case gets hot, i had it on for about 3 hrs while i was installing codecs, mediabroswer etc, didn't even play a vid and it was hot. I thinking of following brianjb and adding a fan, brianjb, what fan did you use?

i actually mounted my ssd in the slot where the dvd rom would go in that metal harness... i couldnt put the ssd on the bottom of the harness as it was pressing up against the silverstone fan.

When i get time tonight i'll post some pics.
post #199 of 364 Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just completed my build last night

Habey 800
Intel i3 2100 w/ Silverstone Nt7 cooler
Asus H61-i mobo
G skill rip jaw x 4gb
ocz vertex 2 50gb ssd
No dvd rom, i installed windows from a usb stick.

This case gets hot, i had it on for about 3 hrs while i was installing codecs, mediabroswer etc, didn't even play a vid and it was hot. I thinking of following brianjb and adding a fan, brianjb, what fan did you use?

i actually mounted my ssd in the slot where the dvd rom would go in that metal harness... i couldnt put the ssd on the bottom of the harness as it was pressing up against the silverstone fan.

When i get time tonight i'll post some pics.

What do your temps look like?
post #200 of 364 Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

What do your temps look like?

I'll post them tonight, thanks
post #201 of 364 Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 PM

I attached a pic of my temps.... that is after the computer was on for about 3hours, watching a 1080p movie. Is that normal? the case is really hot

Another question, in assassains guide he gave us some sample files that contain an HD audio track, i downloaded one that is supposed to have Dolby TruHD, when i played it the video which is in m2ts format worked but there was no audio. I have DD and DTS files on my comp in MKV format and they play fine. I checked lav through graph studio and all the formats are checked. I have a branch new pioneer 1021 which plays all of the formats.
LL
post #202 of 364 Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I attached a pic of my temps.... that is after the computer was on for about 3hours, watching a 1080p movie. Is that normal? the case is really hot

Another question, in assassains guide he gave us some sample files that contain an HD audio track, i downloaded one that is supposed to have Dolby TruHD, when i played it the video which is in m2ts format worked but there was no audio. I have DD and DTS files on my comp in MKV format and they play fine. I checked lav through graph studio and all the formats are checked. I have a branch new pioneer 1021 which plays all of the formats.

Looks about right for that case and the temps. The Habey cases run hot. I have discussed with their engineer the need for more holes/mesh on the top of the case but they disagreed with my friendly suggestion. Obviously this is needed as the cooling is horrible in these cases given their size. My bedroom EMC600 Habey case runs similar temps.

Regarding the sample files from that website I have found some of those to be poor quality or not reliable. I would recommend ripping your own MKV or other format where you know what you are using and testing it that way.

post #203 of 364 Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The Habey cases were not designed for that kind of hardware. They were designed around low-end net top boards using CPUs like the Intel Atom and those are what run perfectly in them. I know everyone wants a Mac Mini-esque desktop with the same kind of hardware, but without a dedicated cooling and exhaust system in the case like the Mac Mini has, it's not going to happen.
post #204 of 364 Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 AM

Thank you for the replies. i feel alot better knowing those temps are within range, i'll still look into adding a fan as pert he OP's setup.

Assassin have you noticed any problems using the harmony one with the hp ir and the hulu desktop program? I find the program hard to control.

Thanks
post #205 of 364 Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the replies. i feel alot better knowing those temps are within range, i'll still look into adding a fan as pert he OP's setup.

Assassin have you noticed any problems using the harmony one with the hp ir and the hulu desktop program? I find the program hard to control.

Thanks

Also maybe try different thermal grease. After doing this my temps dropped a few numbers.
post #206 of 364 Old 11-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks, i used the one that came with the silverstone fan, any recommendations?
post #207 of 364 Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 PM

I have had good results with artic silver, but what I have found more important is that the base of the fan and the top of the processor are clean, and that you do not overuse the thermal compound, only a very very small amount is needed.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

post #208 of 364 Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Those who are running the Habey 600 case and i3-2100T, how much room is there between the top of the fan and the plate that covers the top of the case?

-Dave

[in storage]

[dismantled]
post #209 of 364 Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykz34 View Post

Those who are running the Habey 600 case and i3-2100T, how much room is there between the top of the fan and the plate that covers the top of the case?

Very little: LINK

post #210 of 364 Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Very little: LINK

Thanks, but I was wondering if anyone could take a measurement...

-Dave

[in storage]

[dismantled]
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page