mini HTPC build (Habey EMC-800B, i3-2100T, SSD, etc.) - KEEPING IT SIMPLE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 364 Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to start replacing the HTPCs on my home network in preparation for the HDHomeRun Prime I have on backorder, and to start moving towards smooth HD playback.

My goal is to keep it simple. Stability and reliability over everything else.

I'll post my findings here as I move forward. First, the hardware.

Here is the component list I'm going with for my test build:

Habey EMC-800B Mini-ITX Chassis
Intel DH67CFB3 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Intel 2.5 GHz i3-2100T Processor
Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/8G 2x4GB DDR3 1333
Crucial CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 64GB SSD
LG GT30L 8x Slim SATA DVD-RW Drive
Evercool EC5010M12CA 50mm x 10mm Case Fan

I haven't had as much time to work on this as I had hoped. The PC is built, but I need to do some experimenting with cooling.

I want to make this HTPC as small as possible, as quiet as possible, but also as cool as possible because at least one will be going in an enclosed cabinet (replacing a Mac Mini). I also want to keep power usage low because I'm hoping to keep them on 24/7 and avoid sleep mode. On the other hand I need to make sure performance is good, so I'm trying to stay away from the Intel Atom.

My comments on each component follows:

It's definitely small, but definitely not Mac Mini small. Very high-quality steel case, but I do wish they included fillers for the back DB9 ports - no biggie though. This is pretty much the smallest I thought I could get with an optical drive and sticking with a standard-size Mini-ITX motherboard. I'm not sure how you could fit an i3 stock cooler in here unless it's the low-profile one included with the i3-2100T. There is not much clearance between the fan and the 2.5" hard disk once assembled with an i3-2100T.

The chassis does have a mount for a single 50mm x 10mm fan on the side, but I was able to rig in a 2nd fan on the opposite side as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this 2nd fan in there, however, since I want to keep it as quiet as possible.

I do wish there were USB ports on the front. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with this case.

A bit overkill for this build, perhaps, but I wanted to stick with Intel, wanted Sandy Bridge, and wanted HDMI on the board. I obviously have no need for integrated RAID, but the USB 3.0 support might be handy. It also has an integrated IR port on ther motherboard that I might decide to utilize for at least one or 2 of my builds.

There is only a single case fan connector on the board, which is kind of a bummer. No problems with anything else so far, has been rock solid (which I expect from Intel).

VERY low profile heatsink and fan, but I do have to say I wish it were a bit quieter. You can definitely hear the CPU fan even at idle, and it does get considerably louder when under load. It's not horrible, but I do have to say I expected it to be quieter.

Can't knock the performance so far, however - CPU seems plenty powerful for my needs.

I'm a big fan of Kingston in general - I use them for all the PCs I deal with (hundreds/thousands), and they are typically rock solid. Nothing fancy here, just wanted something stable.

8GB might be excessive for my needs, but for the price I thought it was worth it.

Crucial CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 64GB SSD
I originally planned on using a 160GB 7200rpm SATA drive, but I decided to go with a smaller SSD in hopes of reducing heat a bit and making the HTPC as snappy as possible.

Storage capacity isn't much of a concern as we plan on making all or most recordings from our primary HTPC with much larger shared storage - hopefully using Remote Potato. I am also thinking of dumping any recordings that do happen to get made from the smaller HTPCs (or perhaps all of them) to my media server nightly.

Was looking for something ~64GB. Thought something smaller would be a bit too constraining, and something larger was out of my budget. I considered a $75 (after rebate) Kingston 64GB SSD from NewEgg, but lots of reports of failures - which I don't want. This Crucial had outstanding reviews. So far it really seems to fly - bootup is incredibly fast.

LG GT30L 8x Slim SATA DVD-RW Drive
Nothing fancy here - cheapest slim DVD I could find. Although rare, we do sometimes pop a disc into a HTPC. Although we have plenty of available storage on our media server, I tend to keep only movies we have not yet watched and movies our kids watch all the time on there. We do have a considerable collection still on disc, and I have no intention of ripping them because they are watched so rarely. Having an optical drive just in case is worth $30.

Good reviews on NewEgg and it fit the case. Not as loud as I thought for a 50mm fan. I plan on doing some testing to decide on 1 or 2 fans. If I go with 1, need to decide whether it should be an intake or exhaust. Also experimenting with a voltage reducer on one or both fans if I decide to go with 2.

Attached are some quick pics of my build so far. According to my Kill-A-Watt, this thing is idling as low as 16 watts! Not too bad...

Will post more as I move forward.

UPDATED 05/29/11
I finally spent some time on cooling last night, and the results were rather non-conclusive.

Regarding power use, my Kill-A-Watt is showing in the mid to high 20s during typical Windows use. Drops down to 17 watts at idle, then 16 watts when the display turns off. During playback of a ~14GB or so MKV Blu-Ray rip (15Mbps compressed), off of the local SSD through Media Center, power use is at 21-22 watts.

I installed RealTemp and checked CPU core temperatures periodically during the testing.

With no chassis fans installed (just using the stock CPU cooler), temps at idle were 38 - 41 degrees celcius. They jumped to 43-45 degrees during normal Windows use.

After playing a ~14GB or so MKV Blu-Ray rip (15Mbps compressed) off the local SSD for ~20 minutes, still with no chassis fans, the CPU core temps were at 43-44 degrees.

I then installed an intake fan and attached to the motherboard's fan header. After 20 minutes of playback the temps were 43-46 degrees celcius.

I then changed the intake to an exhaust fan, still attached to the motherboard's fan header. After 20 minutes temps were at 40-43 degrees.

I then installed 2 fans - one intake, one exhaust. Intake was on the motherboard fan header while the exhaust was attached directly to the power supply. After 20 minutes temps were at 39-43 degrees.

Basically, I'm not seeing a lot of variation either way so as of now I'm inclined to go with the quieter option - perhaps no chassis fans, perhaps just a motherboard controlled exhaust fan.

I am interested in trying out other, potentially quieter, cooling options.

ANOTHER UPDATE 05/29/11
Holy cow. I'm 99% sure I updated the BIOS on the DH67CF before starting this, but perhaps in my haste I downloaded an older version.

I had decided on going with a single exhaust fan (in conjunction with the stock processor fan) and closed up the case. For the heck of it I checked Intel's site and noticed a BIOS that, based on the date, I believed was newer than I had installed.

Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to whatever version I had on there, but I did notice based on the version #s that the newer BIOS seemed considerably newer.

Well, after flashing this BIOS I could not be happier with the noise level! It is practically silent, even after playback of my test MKV for 20 minutes! I also noticed BIOS options giving me excellent control over fan speeds, how they react based on various temps in the system, etc. For now I left them at default.

With this new BIOS I'm still at 21/22 watts during MKV playback. These are the temps I'm getting from SpeedFan after about 20 minutes of playback:

CPU: ~46-49 degrees celcius
Voltage Regulator: ~45 degrees
DIMM: ~39-40 degrees
PCH: ~67 degrees

At this point I am super happy with this setup and can't wait to put this HTPC into use!

UPDATED 05/30/11
I finalized the hardware portion of my build today and moved the HTPC to it's home - under my kitchen counter, inside a cabinet, replacing my Mac Mini.

After running quite a bit, MKV playback, software installation, etc., I took several different temperature readings. I did up the minimum CPU and case fan settings a bit since I could get away with it - the cabinet muffles most of the noise. Temps were as follows.

CPU: 61 - 70 degrees celcius
Voltage Regulator: 51 - 58 degrees
DIMM: 45 - 49 degrees
PCH: 68 - 76 degrees

While obviously up from the temperature ratings I had when the HTPC was on an open table, from what I understand these temps are still within an acceptable range. Based on normal use, I don't think they will get any worse than the above. Also, when idling or not doing much the temps were obviously at the low end of that scale or even lower at times.

The kitchen is also the worst of all my locations temperature-wise, so if it works well here the same build will work well in the other locations I'll need to fill.

I also worked a bit on the software side. I purchased a subscription to Assassin's blog to read some of his guides. Since I'm not overly familiar with Media Browser I figured the info he provides might save me quite a bit of time, and I think it will.

So for I'm going with the following configuration software-wise:

- Windows 7 64-Bit Media Center
- LAV Splitter for MKV playback
- Meida Browser with the default theme & metadata for ripped DVDs and Blu-rays
- IBN People Provider (Media Browser plug-in to provide actor/actress images)
- MediaInfo Provider (Media Browser plug-in to provide more info on my MKV files)
- Netflix plug-in for streaming content
- Hulu Desktop + WMC Integration for more streaming content

I'm also using a HDHomeRun for unencrypted QAM television through Verizon FIOS. I plan on moving to a HDHomeRun Prime as soon as they're available.

I've attached some additional photos to my post on 05/30/11, including size comparisons to my Mac Mini.

UPDATED 06/09/2011
I finished my new master bedroom HTPC build last night. Here is the component list I went with:

Kingston SSDNow V+ SVP100S2/96G 96GB SSD
Samsung SN-S083F/BEBE Slim DVD-RW Drive
Internal IR Receiver w/CIR Cable

I went with the Kingston 96GB because there was a good rebate going on and the extra capacity might be helpful in the master bedroom where my wife is more likely to make local recordings (though I'm going to advise against it!). Performance is still real good compared to a 7200rpm hard disk, but doesn't seem as snappy as the Crucial in my kitchen build (just based on casual observation). In any case, it's certainly more than fine (as long as it's reliable).

My kitchen HTPC sits in a cabinet, so an external IR receiver is pretty much unavoidable, but this build is sitting on top of our bureau. I decided to order and mount an internal IR receiver, since the Intel motherboard I'm using supports one, to try and get rid of our bulky external USB IR receiver.

I went with this receiver:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123
(search eBay for "CIR IR Receiver MCE" and you should find it)

I don't plan on using the included remote, but for the price I can't complain. It's hard to explain, but the IR receiver itself doesn't really protrude much from the board which made me nervous about reliability. I drilled a hole in my Habey and mounted the receiver at an angle (to get the IR receiver into the hole as much as possible) with double-sided adhesive. I added some hot glue for added security. I was pleasantly surprised! Even though the Habey case metal is fairly thick, making the IR receiver is recessed quite a bit, IR reception is flawless from even heavy angles. It works at least as well as the external receiver!

Noise is more of an issue on this build since it is in our bedroom and sitting right on the bureau so I left the BIOS fan controls to start at 20/30% (default) and it's pretty much silent. Heat is less of a concern because it's not in a cabinet. Even at these fan levels temperatures were close to my kitchen build, which I'm fine with.

I do have to say however that the blue LED is bright for a bedroom and might bother some. Doesn't really bother me or my wife (we can sleep through anything), but I might look at trying to dim it somehow or perhaps even disconnect it completely.

I added a photo to my post dated 6/9/11 - you can see the IR receiver to the bottom left of the DVD drive.

UPDATED 01/01/2012

This thread has kind of grown into something outside of my original intention, but I wanted to post an update anyway.

All my systems (3 Habeys) have been running great. Warm, but within reason, no stability issues, no hardware failures.

One issue I did have was with the Evercool exhaust fans - they all got pretty noisey (sound like loose pebbles).

I ordered some replacement StarTech FAN5X1TX3 fans. When they came in, unfortunately, I saw that they were also Evercool fans. The originals were Evercool EC5010M12CA while the replacement StarTechs were Evercool EC5010M12BA.

I installed them this AM and all PCs are again whisper quiet. Hope they stay that way!
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 364 Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
nice setup!
post #3 of 364 Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
16 watts, amazing.
post #4 of 364 Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
It won't be 16 watts with a Ceton in it. BTW, if you are going Ceton make sure you have a top flight cable signal.

Just another blank signature.
post #5 of 364 Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

16 watts, amazing.

Can't beat that and he had a crap load of ram to. If the pentium G620T will do everything it might be the cheap low watt system.
post #6 of 364 Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Any temperature readings during video playback?

Would really be interested in cpu usage as well using software decoding (e.g. ffdshow) for 1080p h.264 files. I'm curious if the 2100t has enough CPU for that without using the GPU (since ffdshow dxva/mpc-hc dxva has issues with intel chipsets).

Also would love more pictures of the case to get a feel for the exterior look and size! Great work, as I'm very interested in doing some similar builds with the 2100t and either the Habey 600 or 800.
post #7 of 364 Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

16 watts, amazing.

It was in the 20s during basic Windows use, dropped to 18w at idle, then dropped to 16w when the monitor turned off to conserve power at idle. When it went to sleep it dropped to 2w, but like I said I'm trying to avoid sleep mode.

For the record I was getting similar #s at idle with the 160GB 7200rpm hard drive installed in place of the SSD, so assuming the Kill-A-Watt is fairly accurate the SSD isn't helping power usage much - at least not at idle. It is FAST though.

Quote:

It won't be 16 watts with a Ceton in it. BTW, if you are going Ceton make sure you have a top flight cable signal.

I will be going with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime in a rack in my basement. A Ceton wouldn't fit in here.

Quote:

Any temperature readings during video playback?

Not yet. I was trying to decide on a cooling fan configuration based on noise first, but I can't come to a decision. Perhaps when I start testing temps the decision will be more clear.

Quote:

Would really be interested in cpu usage as well using software decoding (e.g. ffdshow) for 1080p h.264 files. I'm curious if the 2100t has enough CPU for that without using the GPU (since ffdshow dxva/mpc-hc dxva has issues with intel chipsets).

Don't plan on using ffdshow at the moment, so not sure if I'll be testing this.

Quote:

Also would love more pictures of the case to get a feel for the exterior look and size! Great work, as I'm very interested in doing some similar builds with the 2100t and either the Habey 600 or 800.

I'll definitely post more pics once I finalize the cooling configuration and close it up for good. I'll put some things next to it for comparison, definitely the Mac Mini I have now.
post #8 of 364 Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a cute little thing. Looking forward to seeing your temp testing data.

Peter
post #9 of 364 Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Nice build, Mike. I have been wanting to build with that case ever since I stumbled over it at Newegg in the server chassis (weird) section.

For a while I thought SSDs were always lower power than HDDs until my buddy who owns a sailboat and built his own nav pc pointed out to me the variance in wattage specs. Some were 500mW others 1-2W. It matters a lot to him since he has to rely on battery and solar/wind power while cruising.

post #10 of 364 Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
wow you just pretty much assembled the system I am in the process of making lol.

I bought the Habey 600B, I have no need for a dvd rom.

Also, I bought the intel G620T, it is pretty similar to the i3 2100t but costs around $80. 35w, same built in visuals. Does however skimp on things like hyperthreading, etc, but I am not too concerned with that as it's primary function is to play media.

Making this for a bedroom HTPC, and these Habey cases are perfect!

As you said, keeping it simple.

Also, if you happen to come across a good replacement CPU cooler, do share. I figured this intel one would be crap. Good to get this thing silent!
post #11 of 364 Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Nice build, Mike. I have been wanting to build with that case ever since I stumbled over it at Newegg in the server chassis (weird) section.

For a while I thought SSDs were always lower power than HDDs until my buddy who owns a sailboat and built his own nav pc pointed out to me the variance in wattage specs. Some were 500mW others 1-2W. It matters a lot to him since he has to rely on battery and solar/wind power while cruising.

Isn't it just stupid how they list it under server chassis?

I was shocked to come across it there. These things I am sure would be a top rated HTPC case if placed over in that section.
post #12 of 364 Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Also, if you happen to come across a good replacement CPU cooler, do share. I figured this intel one would be crap. Good to get this thing silent!

I am very happy with my Silverstone NT07-1156 (which also fits 1155)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...NT07-1156&area

post #13 of 364 Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Isn't it just stupid how they list it under server chassis?

I was shocked to come across it there. These things I am sure would be a top rated HTPC case if placed over in that section.

Agreed. It's a mystery to me.

post #14 of 364 Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

...The chassis does have a mount for a single 50mm x 10mm fan on the side, but I was able to rig in a 2nd fan on the opposite side as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this 2nd fan in there, however, since I want to keep it as quiet as possible.

I have to wonder if the chassis fans are actually helping or just causing turbulance.

Quote:

...There is only a single case fan connector on the board, which is kind of a bummer. No problems with anything else so far, has been rock solid (which I expect from Intel).

Hopefully you can work out a configuration that does not require two case fans, if not you can always put in a 'Y' connector.

Quote:

VERY low profile heatsink and fan, but I do have to say I wish it were a bit quieter. You can definitely hear the CPU fan even at idle, and it does get considerably louder when under load. It's not horrible, but I do have to say I expected it to be quieter.

You are probably having trouble getting cool air into the CPU fan. I would consider holes in the top of the case.
post #15 of 364 Old 05-29-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Please keep me informed as well! I'm not too happy with the noise level so far.

Quote:

I am very happy with my Silverstone NT07-1156 (which also fits 1155)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...NT07-1156&area

Looks very, very similar to the Intel heatsink and fan. I wonder if it would be more efficient at the low speed setting? I think I'll give this one a shot unless I find something more attractive. It does look a bit taller, though, than the stock fan so I'm afraid that might be an issue in this chassis
post #16 of 364 Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I finally spent some time on cooling last night, and the results were rather non-conclusive.

Regarding power use, my Kill-A-Watt is showing in the mid to high 20s during typical Windows use. Drops down to 17 watts at idle, then 16 watts when the display turns off. During playback of a ~14GB or so MKV Blu-Ray rip (15Mbps compressed), off of the local SSD through Media Center, power use is at 21-22 watts.

I installed RealTemp and checked CPU core temperatures periodically during the testing.

With no chassis fans installed (just using the stock CPU cooler), temps at idle were 38 - 41 degrees celcius. They jumped to 43-45 degrees during normal Windows use.

After playing a ~14GB or so MKV Blu-Ray rip (15Mbps compressed) off the local SSD for ~20 minutes, still with no chassis fans, the CPU core temps were at 43-44 degrees.

I then installed an intake fan and attached to the motherboard's fan header. After 20 minutes of playback the temps were 43-46 degrees celcius.

I then changed the intake to an exhaust fan, still attached to the motherboard's fan header. After 20 minutes temps were at 40-43 degrees.

I then installed 2 fans - one intake, one exhaust. Intake was on the motherboard fan header while the exhaust was attached directly to the power supply. After 20 minutes temps were at 39-43 degrees.

Basically, I'm not seeing a lot of variation either way so as of now I'm inclined to go with the quieter option - perhaps no chassis fans, perhaps just a motherboard controlled exhaust fan.

I am interested in trying out other, potentially quieter, cooling options.
post #17 of 364 Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Holy cow. I'm 99% sure I updated the BIOS on the DH67CF before starting this, but perhaps in my haste I downloaded an older version.

I had decided on going with a single exhaust fan (in conjunction with the stock processor fan) and closed up the case. For the heck of it I checked Intel's site and noticed a BIOS that, based on the date, I believed was newer than I had installed.

Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to whatever version I had on there, but I did notice based on the version #s that the newer BIOS seemed considerably newer.

Well, after flashing this BIOS I could not be happier with the noise level! It is practically silent, even after playback of my test MKV for 20 minutes! I also noticed BIOS options giving me excellent control over fan speeds, how they react based on various temps in the system, etc. For now I left them at default.

With this new BIOS I'm still at 21/22 watts during MKV playback. These are the temps I'm getting from SpeedFan after about 20 minutes of playback:

CPU: ~46-49 degrees celcius
Voltage Regulator: ~45 degrees
DIMM: ~39-40 degrees
PCH: ~67 degrees

At this point I am super happy with this setup and can't wait to put this HTPC into use!
post #18 of 364 Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

For comparison, my Mac Mini Core Duo idles at ~21 watts while drawing ~35-38 watts during playback of my test MKV.

- Mac Mini, 1.66 GHz Core Duo T2300, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Intel Mobile 945 Display, 60GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit
post #19 of 364 Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting results. I think I am gonna pass on adding a fans to the case. I might just go for that silverstone cpu cooler.

Also, I will be buying this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157238

And it will be interesting comparing temperatures and energy usage. I have a kill-a-watt somewhere around my house...

Anyways, I am in no hurry to finish this htpc, it's a secondary one. I will post back here though once I do get around to finishing it.
post #20 of 364 Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And it will be interesting comparing temperatures and energy usage. I have a kill-a-watt somewhere around my house...

Please do!
post #21 of 364 Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I finalized the hardware portion of my build today and moved the HTPC to it's home - under my kitchen counter, inside a cabinet, replacing my Mac Mini.

After running quite a bit, MKV playback, software installation, etc., I took several different temperature readings. I did up the minimum CPU and case fan settings a bit since I could get away with it - the cabinet muffles most of the noise. Temps were as follows.

CPU: 61 - 70 degrees celcius
Voltage Regulator: 51 - 58 degrees
DIMM: 45 - 49 degrees
PCH: 68 - 76 degrees

While obviously up from the temperature ratings I had when the HTPC was on an open table, from what I understand these temps are still within an acceptable range. Based on normal use, I don't think they will get any worse than the above. Also, when idling or not doing much the temps were obviously at the low end of that scale or even lower at times.

The kitchen is also the worst of all my locations temperature-wise, so if it works well here the same build will work well in the other locations I'll need to fill.

I also worked a bit on the software side. I purchased a subscription to Assassin's blog to read some of his guides. Since I'm not overly familiar with Media Browser I figured the info he provides might save me quite a bit of time, and I think it will.

So for I'm going with the following configuration software-wise:

- Windows 7 64-Bit Media Center
- LAV Splitter for MKV playback
- Meida Browser with the default theme & metadata for ripped DVDs and Blu-rays
- IBN People Provider (Media Browser plug-in to provide actor/actress images)
- MediaInfo Provider (Media Browser plug-in to provide more info on my MKV files)
- Netflix plug-in for streaming content
- Hulu Desktop + WMC Integration for more streaming content

I'm also using a HDHomeRun for unencrypted QAM television through Verizon FIOS. I plan on moving to a HDHomeRun Prime as soon as they're available.

I've attached some additional photos to this post, including size comparisons to my Mac Mini.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #22 of 364 Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Funny, I have been planning an almost identical build to replace a Mac Mini so thanks for sharing. I don't need the optical drive slot so does the case come with any kind of cover for the slot or do you have to put a drive in there? (I would just get the Habey case without the optical drive slot but it has a strange side-mounted power plug). Thanks.
post #23 of 364 Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing out the EMC-600b has a side power connector - that is sort of odd, but looking at the back of the chassis I can see why they did that.

My EMC-800b came with a WHITE filler in the optical drive spot, with a horizontal slot in it. I didn't pay much attention to it honestly, seemed odd that it was white. I'd say you could paint it black and use it as a filler but that slot would concern me. Seems a unknowing user could lose a disc in there.

I don't think I have the insert anymore so this is all based on memory.
post #24 of 364 Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Did some more fan tuning today, upping the fan speeds while making sure I could not hear them through the cabinet. After MKV playback I'm getting the following temps:

CPU: ~57-59 degrees celcius
Voltage Regulator: ~47 degrees
DIMM: ~43 degrees
PCH: ~63 degrees

Seems more reasonable, think I'd be happy if I can maintain these temps.
post #25 of 364 Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out the EMC-600b has a side power connector - that is sort of odd, but looking at the back of the chassis I can see why they did that.

My EMC-800b came with a WHITE filler in the optical drive spot, with a horizontal slot in it. I didn't pay much attention to it honestly, seemed odd that it was white. I'd say you could paint it black and use it as a filler but that slot would concern me. Seems a unknowing user could lose a disc in there.

I don't think I have the insert anymore so this is all based on memory.

I put together one for work, just punched a hole through the I/O shield and re-routed the power there. Worked out well.

Very odd to have the power on the side. And at the very least they could ship it with an angled power connector.
post #26 of 364 Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the power supply have one of the "mini" SATA power connectors necessary for most slim optical drives?

On another note, I am getting a little concerned that Newegg seems to be out-of-stock of many of the Habey cases now...
post #27 of 364 Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does the power supply have one of the "mini" SATA power connectors necessary for most slim optical drives?

No, I needed to use an adapter.

Quote:

On another note, I am getting a little concerned that Newegg seems to be out-of-stock of many of the Habey cases now...

Habey says NewEgg should have more stock of the EMC-800B shortly.
post #28 of 364 Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Habey says NewEgg should have more stock of the EMC-800B shortly.

True enough - just back in stock today .
post #29 of 364 Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

You crazy kids keep buying them.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #30 of 364 Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

True enough - just back in stock today .

I saw them come back into stock late last night and grabbed a couple for my next 2 builds.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page