Lav Madvr guide?? - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you in here who have had troubles with getting subtitles to work make sure you have a newer mpchc release from here. This could be the problem.

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...-5-2-3255.html

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

For those of you in here who have had troubles with getting subtitles to work make sure you have a newer mpchc release from here. This could be the problem.

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...-5-2-3255.html

Does this version of MPC-HC integrate with 7MC and Media Browser so my remote will control MPC-HC or is this another free standing version like mpc-homecinema 1.5.2.3196x86.mscv2010?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Yep. Pretty much.
so got my bd burner .,..ripped a dvd and it made a 30gb file.. is that normal with makemkv or size can be reduced from within it without usnig handbrake?
Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
5.2.3262 is out (6/24/11_
Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 View Post

so got my bd burner .,..ripped a dvd and it made a 30gb file.. is that normal with makemkv or size can be reduced from within it without usnig handbrake?

Yep, sounds pretty normal to me. I haven't used handbrake yet because it seems the quality degrades slightly. I've read it's not noticeable, but I have the hard disk room right now so I don't have any desire to use it yet.

Edit: wait, I just reread your post. Did you rip a DVD or bluray?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Yep, sounds pretty normal to me. I haven't used handbrake yet because it seems the quality degrades slightly. I've read it's not noticeable, but I have the hard disk room right now so I don't have any desire to use it yet.

Edit: wait, I just reread your post. Did you rip a DVD or bluray?

bluray that was.. so for blu ray you guys are actually keeping it at ~30gb each rip??? seriously? thats about 30-35 movies per TB isnt that too much..
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 View Post

bluray that was.. so for blu ray you guys are actually keeping it at ~30gb each rip??? seriously? thats about 30-35 movies per TB isnt that too much..

That's why you see so many people on here discussing NAS or other servers.

Personally I think 30gb is too much for a "regular" bluray movie. I will keep a movie that size if I really liked the movie but otherwise I am satisfied with a smaller size.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You guys might get more help if you use the search function for a handbreak thread, start a new thread or use one of many ripping threads. Or you can use this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822 although the early guide is not kept up anymore.

I am not sure that the madVR LAV thread is where you will get the most advice on ripping. It seems to be geared more toward play back.

But if you are getting what you need here it is fine with me where ever you want to post.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM

[quote=Personally I think 30gb is too much for a "regular" bluray movie. I will keep a movie that size if I really liked the movie but otherwise I am satisfied with a smaller size.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't smaller size mean compression=lesser pq? What software do you use to compress blu ray without losing pq and keeping HD audio?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armada10 View Post

Doesn't smaller size mean compression=lesser pq? What software do you use to compress blu ray without losing pq and keeping HD audio?

Absolutely. You definitely will lose some quality.

But for a non-reference (i.e. marginal entertainment value) movie that I will likely only watch once I am okay with that. Or I just rip it in full quality and erase it once I am done if it wasn't worth keeping.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's the minimum recommended GPU that will provide enhanced deinterlacing performance with LAV CUVID?

I currently have the following nVidia cards/IGPs available: Geforce 8200 (IGP), Geforce 8600 GT, Geforce 8600 GTS. Would any of these suffice?

Also, it would seem that enabling this decoder for use under Windows 7 Media Center would be as simple as setting decoder priority, correct? Is there anything else I should do, considering WMC is what I'll be using to play 99% of my interlaced material.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
GT 440 GDDR5 is the minimum for LAV CUVID Decoder whatever the video renderer is. But using LAV CUVID does not make sense if you don't use madVR (well, almost). For EVR, just use a video decoder supporting DXVA. WMC internal player supports only EVR. Under DXVA/EVR scheme, GT 430 is the minimum.

Any of Geforce 8200 (IGP), Geforce 8600 GT, Geforce 8600 GTS is poor in deinterlacing.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

GT 440 GDDR5 is the minimum for LAV CUVID Decoder whatever the video renderer is. But using LAV CUVID does not make sense if you don't use madVR (well, almost). For EVR, just use a video decoder supporting DXVA. WMC internal player supports only EVR. Under DXVA/EVR scheme, GT 430 is the minimum.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you elaborate on why it doesn't make sense to run LAV CUVID with EVR?
Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Under EVR, there is no difference of performance (in particular deinterlacing) between LAV CUVID and other DXVA video decoders (ArcSoft, CyberLink, Microsoft etc.). You can get the highest quality of deinterlacing supported by your GPU (streaming processors)/NVIDIA driver's deinterlacing algorithm with either decoder. LAV CUVID 0.8 has a disadvantage that it requires GT 440 GDDR5 or higher to perform deinterlacing properly.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I added some information on LAVCUVID's deinterlacing options in another thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20618444
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know that the different options are kinda up to ones own preferences, but what would you recommend if I think the madVR picture looks a bit too soft?

I play 90% 1080p videos, some 720p and even less 480/576. 1080p quality is what matters most. Currently use softcubic 70 and lancoz 4 taps.

Also, does the DX11 option do anything good? I got some stuttering when enabling it...

Got a GTX460 so GPU power should be enough.

And finally, anyone who can comment on this (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161529):

Quote:

On an NVidia-based GPU, do any of the 3D settings in the NVidia Control Panel have any bearing on the picture when using MadVR as a renderer?

I am not a gamer, so I am unfamiliar with many of the settings. However, I understand that MadVR is a full D3D application, so in theory shouldn't they make a difference?

Thus I experimented with setting:

Antialiasing - Mode: "Override any application Setting" ("SLI 16xQ")

When turning on the indicators, in "Override" it shows that it is in fact performing GPU Antialiasing. However, "Enhance any application Setting" does not do anything.

Thus is this doing anything? Or worse, since "Enhance" does not work, could it be doing more harm than good by overriding any anti-aliasing that MadVR is doing?

Finally, do any of the other settings, such as "Supersampling" or Gamma Correction do anything?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I know some guides/posters have said to uncheck everything - some leave everything checked (except MKV). What is the prefered method? I want to learn to setup and use LAV and MadVR and LAV CUID.

I think if you leave everything checked MC uses its internal filters. If unchecked, MC used LAV filters or FFD (depending on what is in external filters). Is this correct?

What are Source Filters and Transform Filters? What's the difference?
(I see MPEG Audio on both sides, for example)

Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Source/splitter filter is to read the source file and splits video, audio and subtitles (or more) streams. Renderer filter is rendering video/audio and sends to the video/audio device. Transform filter is anything else, that comes between the source/splitter filter and the renderer filter, e.g. video/audio decoder, video/audio processor, subtitle filters. MPC HomeCinema searches for a filter in each of category in this order:

Source/splitter filter

1. Options > Internal Filters > Source Filters: checked filters
2. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Media Type\\Extensions
3. Options > External Filters: preferred filters
4. Registered filter of the highest merit value

Transform filter

1. Options > External Filters: preferred filters
2. Options > Internal Filters > Transform Filters: checked filters
3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DirectShow\\Preferr ed
4. Registered filter of the highest merit value.

Renderer filter

1. Options > External Filters: preferred filters (Loading a renderer this way should be avoided.)
2. Options > Playback > Output

Any guide that says otherwise is wrong.

As for MKV source/splitter filter, if you uncheck the internal MKV, LAV Source Splitter will be automatically used because it is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Media Type\\Extensions\\.mkv. (Be careful with Haali, it overrides it if you reinstall it.)

As for transform filters, usually you don't have to uncheck any internal transform filter. If you don't like an internal transform filter, just add your preferred transform filter in External Filters and set it to Prefer, that will override the internal one.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I think it is going to be difficult to get it to integrate seamlessly with WMC/MB since it was not really designed to be used with WMC

There is no such thing as "designed to be used with WMC" when discussing Directshow filters

When the Lav filters are ready for primetime distribution, the Shark007 releases will seamlessly allow their usage within the Winows players just like any other filter currently re-distributed with the Shark007 codecs.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

There is no such thing as "designed to be used with WMC"

When the Lav filters are ready for primetime distribution, the Shark007 releases will seamlessly allow their usage within the Winows players just like any other filter currently re-distributed with the Shark007 codecs.

Yes there is. The developer has basically stated as much. He doesn't like WMC and won't make certain changes to make it work better in WMC.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes there is.

thanks for the enlightenent... and have a nice day.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks for the enlightenent... and have a nice day.

Prepare to feel even more enlightened:

Quote:

The player component in WMC is just crap. It may have potential, but Microsoft are the ones that limit that potential by forcing their own codecs, limiting functionality, hell even completely blocking playback of certain files (bdmv, mpls).

That said, LAV Splitter works just fine with any DirectShow player, and if you have a concrete bug that only happens in WMC, i'll still fix it. I just don't provide user support for people that want to get it to work in WMC (nor do i with any other player, really)

You want to use it? Sure, that's your choice. I reckon it may just work fine like in any other player.
How to set it up? You're on your own there. Using it for files that WMC does not natively support (MKVs) will be easy, just install it. Overwriting WMCs internal default filters on the other hand - i'm sure there are numerous guides out there.

I don't like WMC, is all. It has a nice 10ft UI, but its player component is not capable to do what i want out of my HTPC player. As a result, i just don't have any experience with it, and therefor i just do not comment on using it at all.

The filters are not aimed at any specific player, they work in any DirectShow player, i'm not "writing off" any player. Doom9 however is a forum for developers and advanced users, if you come there with a player as limited as WMC, you'll get the comments you're referring to (and some things may just not be possible from withing WMC, especially if you want Live TV to not break). Its not a user forum, stick to avsforums for that.

PS:
Don't take everything personally. If we say that your preferred player is bad, we mean the player, not you.
Also, if some question remains unanswered, sometimes there just is no answer to give, i'm not all-knowing.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prepare to feel even more enlightened:

wow!

a copy paste from nev himself... now i am impressed.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

wow!

a copy paste from nev himself... now i am impressed.

I don't get the attitude Shark.

Hope you feel better though now what you let that out.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

As for MKV source/splitter filter, if you uncheck the internal MKV, LAV Source Splitter will be automatically used because it is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Media Type\\Extensions\\.mkv. (Be careful with Haali, it overrides it if you reinstall it.)

As for transform filters, usually you don't have to uncheck any internal transform filter. If you don't like an internal transform filter, just add your preferred transform filter in External Filters and set it to Prefer, that will override the internal one.

Thanks for the detailed explaination but I still don't understand completely what is preferred setup. Until I get more up to speed on how all this works - I believe your advise then is to leave everything checked.

I only have Lav splitter, Lav source, and Lav Audio in external filters. MadVR is checked in Output. I have not done anything with Lav CUID yet.

Thanks again (PS. How about making a paid guide on this).
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

(PS. How about making a paid guide on this).

I and one other member are working on this.

I haven't had much time lately and need to get my Nvidia card into my quad core desktop to do some testing. If someone else gets to it before me I would just say that it will likely be worth every penny.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
lol

No need for any infighting here, guys.

Now that I've played with mpc-hc for a couple of weeks, I understand (in a short-bus rudimentary fashion) at least a little of why WMC doesn't provide some folks a framework that works well for their purposes.

That being said, shark's codec implementation certainly eases the burden for us unfamiliar idiots wrt WMC.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Yes there is. The developer has basically stated as much. He doesn't like WMC and won't make certain changes to make it work better in WMC.

Because HD Cable Tuners are still relatively rare on PCs most people have not seen the error message you get when you try to run DRM protected HD Digitla Cable content with a 3rd part non-complaint video decoder.

I can't say which if any besides the Microsoft DTV HDT decoders are compliant but if the vdieo decoder is not properly DRM compliant the playback chain is broken and attempting to run HD Cable results in the error "the decoder does not support protected content". Whe I saw this error for the fist time. I think one of PowerDVD 10 decoders was running. I just set it back to the MS Decoder and moved on to one the nine million other things that might improve playback quality.

Just another blank signature.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I first started using LAV I had a lot of "beginner" type questions in regards to using it with WMC. I posted over at Doom9 but was largely ignored and insulted.

And what I have read regarding development between LAV and WMC hasn't been very optimistic.

So I tried to get more information on how to get this all to work together from a "beginnner's" point of view and haven't been successful. I am still working to get this done.

There are still some difficulties with LAV and some AVI files, unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
OK. I've tried all kinds of interventions to fix this, but I just can't get it.

Per renethx's advice, I decided to keep it simple, drop the arcsoft decoder, and just install ffdshow. After all, as far as I know, I have no interlaced VC-1 content.

So here's the problem -- since setting it up with the following:

1) MB launching into mpc-hc for mkv's, avi's, and mp4's/m4v's

2) I have the following external filters in mpc-hc

a) reclock audio renderer -- need this for lpcm playback of BR archives
b) lav splitter source, splitter, and audio renderer -- need this for all other lossless BR audio formats (DTS-MA, TrueHD, DD+)
c) ffdshow -- used for playback of pretty much everything but iso's and Video_TS filesets

I'm using madVR for video rendering, and enabled 1080p23 for playback in its settings. The remainder of my madVR settings are the same as tong chia's from earlier in the thread.

For some unknown (well, ok -- at least to my simple mind) reason, about 2/3rds of my VC-1 archives have SERIOUS stuttering on playback. They're mkv's made by makemkv, and the vast majority are HD DVD's. I have tried all kinds of fiddling, and just can't them to play back correctly. In the 'codec' submenu of ffdshow, I have VC-1 set to libavcodec. When I use WMV9 instead of libavcodec for ffdshow VC-1 playback the stuttering essentially disappears, but the refresh rate goes to 60 Hz (rather than the 23/24 I use on madVR), and, though the stuttering disappears, I still get the usual problems with 24p content on 60 Hz refresh rate, problems with panning, etc.

What in holy hell am I doing wrong?

Again, can't use lavcuvid b/c my GPU is an ATI 6970.