has anyone actually used LAVFsplitter with WMC? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure what the problem is with avis (xvid etc.). Those should play natively (without any additional codec/filter installation. I have a lot of avis (most are xvid + ac3 audio), and there's no problem in WMC or WMP. I only need lav (or haali) for mkvs and m2ts (blu ray)
What audio do you have in those avis that don't play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Not sure what the problem is with avis (xvid etc.). Those should play natively (without any additional codec/filter installation. I have a lot of avis (most are xvid + ac3 audio), and there's no problem in WMC or WMP. I only need lav (or haali) for mkvs and m2ts (blu ray)

Yah me too mine still play fine.
post #33 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
probably because he checked all video formats in the graphstudio setup of lav.
post #34 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

The bolded was my assumption as well.

Given my usual obsessive nature, I decided to record the files that didn't work, with their A/V codecs and containers (per MB). Here are the first 30 in alphabetical order. None of these were able to launch.

The Alamo (h264 in 'mp4,' AAC)
Alfie (h264 in 'mp4,' AAC)
All the King's Men (XViD avi, DD 2.0)
All Quiet on the western front (XVid avi DD 2.0)
America America (Divx avi, DD 2.0)
An American in Paris (XVid avi, DD 5.1)
Anatomy of a murder (mpeg-4 visual, DD 2.0)
Anchors Aweigh (xvid avi, DD 1.0)
Anne of the Thousand Days (xvid avi, mp3)
Annie (mpeg-4 visual, DD 2.0)
The Apartment (mpeg-4 visual, DD 2.0)
Around the world in eighty days (xvid avi, DD 5.1)
Atomic Cafe (xvid avi DD 2.0)
Auntie Mame (divx avi, mp3)
Battleground (xvid avi mp3)
Ben Hur (mpeg-4 visual, dd 2.0)
Best years of our lives (xvid avi mp3)
Big Chill (mp4, h264, aac)
The Bishop's Wife (xvid, avi, mp3)
Born into Brothels (xvid avi mp3)
Born yesterday (xvid avi mp3)
Buena Vista (xvid avi dd 5.1)
Burma VJ (xvid avi, mp3)
Bus 174 (xvid avi, mp3)
Cabaret (xvid avi, DD 2.0)
The Caine Mutiny (Divx avi, mp3)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Dixv avi, mp3)
The Country Girl (xvid avi, mp3)
Crossfire (xvid avi, mp3)
Crying Game (Divx avi, DD 2.0)

As you can see, the audio codec makes no difference.
post #35 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

probably because he checked all video formats in the graphstudio setup of lav.

I could've sworn I tried unchecking some pertinent ones in GS last night, but I was a tad sleep-deprived and on call.

Will check and try again.

That being said, isn't lav supposed to be able to handle Xvid and Divx?
post #36 of 57 Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

Yeah, I gave that ridiculously unwieldy thread a little read. I got that feeling as well. Kinda funny, really, as WMC has sooo much potential once these few remaining kinks get worked out.

The player component in WMC is just crap. It may have potential, but Microsoft are the ones that limit that potential by forcing their own codecs, limiting functionality, hell even completely blocking playback of certain files (bdmv, mpls).

That said, LAV Splitter works just fine with any DirectShow player, and if you have a concrete bug that only happens in WMC, i'll still fix it. I just don't provide user support for people that want to get it to work in WMC (nor do i with any other player, really)

You want to use it? Sure, that's your choice. I reckon it may just work fine like in any other player.
How to set it up? You're on your own there. Using it for files that WMC does not natively support (MKVs) will be easy, just install it. Overwriting WMCs internal default filters on the other hand - i'm sure there are numerous guides out there.

I don't like WMC, is all. It has a nice 10ft UI, but its player component is not capable to do what i want out of my HTPC player. As a result, i just don't have any experience with it, and therefor i just do not comment on using it at all.

The filters are not aimed at any specific player, they work in any DirectShow player, i'm not "writing off" any player. Doom9 however is a forum for developers and advanced users, if you come there with a player as limited as WMC, you'll get the comments you're referring to (and some things may just not be possible from withing WMC, especially if you want Live TV to not break). Its not a user forum, stick to avsforums for that.

PS:
Don't take everything personally. If we say that your preferred player is bad, we mean the player, not you.
Also, if some question remains unanswered, sometimes there just is no answer to give, i'm not all-knowing.
post #37 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

The player component in WMC is just crap. It may have potential, but Microsoft are the ones that limit that potential by forcing their own codecs, limiting functionality, hell even completely blocking playback of certain files (bdmv, mpls).

That said, LAV Splitter works just fine with any DirectShow player, and if you have a concrete bug that only happens in WMC, i'll still fix it. I just don't provide user support for people that want to get it to work in WMC (nor do i with any other player, really)

You want to use it? Sure, that's your choice. I reckon it may just work fine like in any other player.
How to set it up? You're on your own there. Using it for files that WMC does not natively support (MKVs) will be easy, just install it. Overwriting WMCs internal default filters on the other hand - i'm sure there are numerous guides out there.

I don't like WMC, is all. It has a nice 10ft UI, but its player component is not capable to do what i want out of my HTPC player. As a result, i just don't have any experience with it, and therefor i just do not comment on using it at all.

The filters are not aimed at any specific player, they work in any DirectShow player, i'm not "writing off" any player. Doom9 however is a forum for developers and advanced users, if you come there with a player as limited as WMC, you'll get the comments you're referring to (and some things may just not be possible from withing WMC, especially if you want Live TV to not break). Its not a user forum, stick to avsforums for that.

PS:
Don't take everything personally. If we say that your preferred player is bad, we mean the player, not you.
Also, if some question remains unanswered, sometimes there just is no answer to give, i'm not all-knowing.

Understood. My original comments were for those that might be curious about how it performs in WMC.

As for the 'taking it personally' angle -- huh?? . Hell, 5 of my 6 HTPC's are macs (using Plex). When I built my latest HTPC 6 wks ago, it was the first windows machine I'd used in more than a decade. I just like having live and recorded TV w/ 4-tuners/ cablecard in the same app as my media collection, netflix, etc. That makes sense, no? I have no particular attachment to WMC other than that (which is why I installed XBMC too.)

Obviously, you and the other doom9 folks come at it from a COMPLETELY different angle than mine. That's cool.
post #38 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Thanks for the comment. It's pretty clear that you are right about this - MS throws stuff like WMF over the wall and then doesn't even fully support it on their own products? And when you try to turn it off it breaks everything in sight.

But for a lot of people, a full-fledged media center product is a necessity. I run every TV in my house from an HTPC, and I absolutely need something that will handle all types of content. I just can't use a standalone player

That said, I can't help wondering why gabest manages to work with WMC. I can use LAV as a replacement for haali for mkv, but is it just that the gabest splitter works around all the cruftiness in WMC for other containers?
post #39 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 136
To use MKVs decently in WMC, I use this little tool to launch an external player when I play a movie in WMC (I am just using the regular ol' Movie Library):

http://mikinho.com/wmc/open-with/

I use it to launch MPC-HC.

post #40 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion
To use MKVs decently in WMC, I use this little tool to launch an external player when I play a movie in WMC (I am just using the regular ol' Movie Library):

http://mikinho.com/wmc/open-with/

I use it to launch MPC-HC.
Why do you use this instead of just launching from mediabrowser? Or do you not use mediabrowser w/ wmc

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #41 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So I uninstalled shark codecs, rebooted installed Lav codecs.

How is graphstudio supposed to look? I see microsoft decoder for video...and oddly enough ffdshow for audio. I checked again through my installed programs, didn't see any other codec packs.

I am not too good with graphstudio, but I was able to insert filters, not too sure what I am supposed to do to get them to stick and work all the time...

anyways, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
post #42 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
It should say LAV Audio, not ffdshow. Do you have ffdshow installed directly?

post #43 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

It should say LAV Audio, not ffdshow. Do you have ffdshow installed directly?

Figured it out, when I un-installed shark codecs, I selected to keep settings...which left some files in it's win7codecs folder in program files. I just installed then un-installed and made sure to not save settings, now I get lav filters in graphstudio.

Now in graphstudio, I see lav splitter then lav audio which is good, but the video is still microsoft...

Might I be missing something else?

Thanks
post #44 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Figured it out, when I un-installed shark codecs, I selected to keep settings...which left some files in it's win7codecs folder in program files. I just installed then un-installed and made sure to not save settings, now I get lav filters in graphstudio.

Now in graphstudio, I see lav splitter then lav audio which is good, but the video is still microsoft...

Might I be missing something else?

Thanks

There is no such thing as lav splitter for video. Nev is eventually going to develop it but probably not anytime soon
post #45 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 387
There is nothing wrong in keeping ffdshow (rather I often see it very useful). You just need to make the merit value of ffdshow Audio Decoder < the merit value of LAV Audio Decoder. The default value is:

- ffdshow Audio Decoder: 0xFF800001.
- Lav Audio Decoder: 0x00800003.

Setting the merit value of ffdshow Audio Decoder to, say, 0x00800001 (i.e. replace "FF" by "00"), is enough. How: run GraphStudio as administrators (right-click the shortcut icon ...), Graph menu > Insert Filter..., select ffdshow Audio Decoder in the left pane, then click the "Change Merit" button and select 0x00800001 (MERIT_PREFERRED + 1) in New value. Click OK, then log off and log in (to reflect the change in the system).

Changing the merit values of video decoders does not affect the default video decoder of the WMC internal player, however. It is controlled by the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DirectShow\\Preferr ed. But you don't have to launch regedit.exe and change it manually. Use Win7DSFilterTweaker. More details here.

If you want to use LAV CUVID Decoder in WMC internal player, you have to edit the key directly, however (Win7DSFilterTweaker does not support LAV CUVID Decoder yet): launch regedit, go to the key, change the ownership, identify the key by the GUID of the video codec (H.264 etc.), replace the value of the key by the GUID of LAV CUVID Decoder ... (but there is not much reason to use it because you can't change the video renderer of WMC).

Now you may understand why some people think the WMC internal player is a crap.
post #46 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM
G--

I have a problem with playing video podcasts using both lav filters and shark007 from media browser. 5 minuntes into playback I get an error, Windows media player has stopped working. The video still plays but I lose the navigation functionality. Any help on this would be wonderful.
post #47 of 57 Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Why do you use this instead of just launching from mediabrowser? Or do you not use mediabrowser w/ wmc

I don't use mediabrowser.

post #48 of 57 Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

What do people prefer to use for video with lavfsplitter? MPC?

Also, I would like to know if others have gotten subtitles to work with a remote control with lavfsplitter.

Thanks
post #49 of 57 Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Also, I would like to know if others have gotten subtitles to work with a remote control with lavfsplitter.

Thanks

Yes, with MediaPortal and EventGhost. Switching to LAVaudio / splitter didn't affect my ability to turn subtitles on and off via remote.
post #50 of 57 Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post

Yes, with MediaPortal and EventGhost. Switching to LAVaudio / splitter didn't affect my ability to turn subtitles on and off via remote.

Sorry I should have mentioned with mediabrowser.
post #51 of 57 Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 387
MPC HomeCinema is the best player, needless to say. Remote works right out of the box, independent of the splitter (assign App Command, see Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support > Blu Ray & MKV playback > Media Player Classic - Home Cinema configuration > Keys Tab).

If you want to use remote for audio/subtitle stream/chapter selection with WMC internal player, you can use ffdshow (DXVA) Video Decoder (with Subtitle enabled) + Media Control.
post #52 of 57 Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

MPC HomeCinema is the best player, needless to say. Remote works right out of the box, independent of the splitter (assign App Command, see Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support > Blu Ray & MKV playback > Media Player Classic - Home Cinema configuration > Keys Tab).

If you want to use remote for audio/subtitle stream/chapter selection with WMC internal player, you can use ffdshow (DXVA) Video Decoder (with Subtitle enabled) + Media Control.

After having installed MPC-HC, I have to agree w/renethx. I've been impressed w/ Shark's codecs (if for no other reason due to the fact that he has found a way to bull his way through all the codec idiosyncracies), but MPC-HC is pretty much plug-n-play.

Media Control w/ MB has a few little quirks that can annoy, and, if you want as little pain as possible, MPC-HC has been the simplest choice imo.
post #53 of 57 Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

App command?

post #54 of 57 Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I was afraid you would say haha. Media Control I have found to be a bit buggy.

But otherwise it seems I had a similar setup before attempting to use lavfilters. I guess I need to find a good combo that works for me to incorporated lavfilters now.

Thanks for that info.
post #55 of 57 Old 06-08-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

App command?

Whoops

post #56 of 57 Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

App command?

Quoting yourself I see? I scrolled through the link that renethx posted and I see something about app command there, maybe that's what he was referring to.

bottom of the third post in his link.
post #57 of 57 Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quoting yourself I see? I scrolled through the link that renethx posted and I see something about app command there, maybe that's what he was referring to.

bottom of the third post in his link.

Cool thanks, I don't know what happened I thought somthimg happened with the first post I made and then after realized a mod probably edited since a couple people probably asked similar questions and then I accidentally quoted myself trying to repost my question, anyway thanks

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page