Blu-Ray Ripping Question from a simpleton - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll start by saying but know very little about what I'm doing from a technical aspect, but I love movies and high-quality picture/audio. I tried reading several threads discussing this very topic and quickly became lost with all of what I considered technical discussion. So I'm hoping my question here will help me figure out how to proceed...

I have close to 4 TB of disc space, and adding more is a non-issue. I have a computer with WMC that can read/play blu-ray discs. I have access to the full version of AnyDVD. I would like to rip my blu-ray movies in an identical format so they can be played - quality and menu/chapters/etc - through my home network (which consists of 1 tv connected directly to the computer, and another connected via ethernet cable). I would like to avoid costs where possible to purchase any separate device needed to play or read the files.

Is my current set-up capable of achieving this?
If so - what file type should I be ripping these discs to, and what is the simplest program or way to do this?
Do I need to adjust any settings on my computer to allow my tv connected via ethernet access and read/play the files?
Is there a way to connect this through to my receiver with that same tv so I can play the lossless audio over my 5.1 setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 180
How is your WMC playing back blu-rays?

I would say rip to mkv but you'll lose the menus and chapters. The way I look at it I watch the movie, not the menus and chapter, but to each their own.

post #3 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Not quite sure how it plays them back - I have a blu-ray drive, I put it in, and it plays... now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've been playing it through WMC or something else... Menus and chapters aren't absolutely essential, but would be nice if I could keep them. If it's significantly easier or faster to go mkv, I wouldn't be opposed to losing them.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubateve View Post

Not quite sure how it plays them back - I have a blu-ray drive, I put it in, and it plays... now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've been playing it through WMC or something else... Menus and chapters aren't absolutely essential, but would be nice if I could keep them. If it's significantly easier or faster to go mkv, I wouldn't be opposed to losing them.

You'll save some storage space and be able to play back the movie using freeware plug-ins to WMC rather than paying for software to play them back.

Do you have Total Media Theater or PowerDVD on you computer? Is it a retail machine that may have come with it pre-loaded?

post #5 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
There is some free software over on the SlySoft forum (maker of AnyDVD) that enables you to rip the Blu-ray to either a M2TS format (movie only) or an ISO (movie with menus/chapters). The software is called Clown_BD. It is the first sticky thread in the "High Definition Software" forum.

If you choice to rip to ISO, you will need to install the (free) VirtualClone Drive (also available over at SlySoft) which will mount the ISO and play it back like it's in a drive. If you choose to rip to a M2TS format you can just play it back directly from 7MC.

You don't need to buy anything. If you want to rip to MKV (use MakeMKV) you need to install something like Shark007 code pack.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

It's a HP computer that had it pre-loaded. I've only loaded a blu-ray once or twice on it, and don't remember what program it was using to play. I'm at work now or I'd check it. (Our main TV is new and the old TV is now in the bedroom with the computer. Finally having two screens worth watching blu-ray on is why I'm looking into doing this.)
post #7 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

There is some free software over on the SlySoft forum (maker of AnyDVD) that enables you to rip the Blu-ray to either a M2TS format (movie only) or an ISO (movie with menus/chapters). The software is called Clown_BD. It is the first sticky thread in the "High Definition Software" forum.

If you choice to rip to ISO, you will need to install the (free) VirtualClone Drive (also available over at SlySoft) which will mount the ISO and play it back like it's in a drive. If you choose to rip to a M2TS format you can just play it back directly from 7MC.

You don't need to buy anything. If you want to rip to MKV (use MakeMKV) you need to install something like Shark007 code pack.

Wait, how do you playback the ISO that you've mounted usin Vitural Clone Drive? AnyDVD-HD?

And i think LAV Filters is superior to ffdshow at this point.

post #8 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wait, how do you playback the ISO that you've mounted usin Vitural Clone Drive? AnyDVD-HD?

You just double-click on the iso file and it will mount automatically-no different from double-clicking on any other kind of file. You can also set it up to launch your BD player automatically as well.

Best/easiest (my opinion, I realize) is to use ClownBD to rip only the movie to ISO format. Double-click to play the file and that's it. Seriously, anyone who wants to argue that anything else is easier should add the phrase "this is the method I'm most comfortable with" as there are 3 or 4 methods out there that are almost idiot-proof. There will be a small learning curve with whichever method you choose to go with.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

So Clown BD is a blu-ray player? What codecs does it support? What splitters and filters?

EDIT: Your using it to rip. What is used for playback?

post #10 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Any BD player-(TMT for example)
post #11 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I was thinking of FREE solutions.

post #12 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

No free BD solutions
post #13 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

That depends on whether you need all the other stuff on the disc or just want to watch the movie. I just want to watch the movie as I don't have time for all the other crap on the disc anyhow. And if I want that I can rip that to mkv too.

Plus the original question whas what kind of file to rip to. I am providing one posible (and no cost) solution. But aparently the op's computer will already play back blu-ray discs so probably mounting an iso is the way to go in this situation.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just MakeMKV then almost anything will handle.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

And i think LAV Filters is superior to ffdshow at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt View Post

You just double-click on the iso file and it will mount automatically-no different from double-clicking on any other kind of file. You can also set it up to launch your BD player automatically as well.

Best/easiest (my opinion, I realize) is to use ClownBD to rip only the movie to ISO format. Double-click to play the file and that's it. Seriously, anyone who wants to argue that anything else is easier should add the phrase "this is the method I'm most comfortable with" as there are 3 or 4 methods out there that are almost idiot-proof. There will be a small learning curve with whichever method you choose to go with.

I understand that. I guess my question should have been "what program for playback".

And now I see you're just ripping the movie, so IMO, mkv is the better way to go if you want to playback from a library from withing WMC. Quick, Easy. Probably just as quick and easy as doing an iso, though.

post #16 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
ISO is not absolutely required.
Either do MKV or Native folder format. ISO requires 'mounting' in a virtual optical drive while the others don't. Though the mounting process is quick, why go through an additional step if not required.

Here, read these:

HD Video on a PC

HD Audio on a PC
post #17 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ISO requires 'mounting' in a virtual optical drive while the others don't

This gets into the "I prefer the method that use" territory - but I can't see how folks get caught up on this invisible step.
It's a double-click on the ISO and the movie starts to play-who cares what it has to do behind the scenes?
Agreed that ISO is not "necessary" - but if someone prefers ClownBD over MakeMV (me for instance, as well as others) or vice-verse, it's pretty much 6 of one or 1/2 dozen of the other at this stage of the game. Neither method is "best" for everyone and the files that are created are equally simple to playback (again, depending on your specific playback software)
(And native folder playback can have some definite disadvantages - PDVD anyone?)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page