Anyone try to build a Hackintosh HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got the following components and wanted to try this today, but am finding no info on building a Hackintosh with a Z68 1155 motherboard. Anyone knowledgable in this aspect?

My hardware setup I've put together:

Intel i5 2405S 1155 CPU
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair 2x 2GB DDR3 Dominator "A" C8 RAM
Western Digital 1.0TB 7200RPM 3.5 Hard Drive (also have a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 2.5 I could format and use)
Enermax Modu87+ 700w Power Supply
LG GH22LS50 DVD Burner.
Want to start off with the onboard Intel HD 3000 GPU graphics, but install my Zotac GTX 460 1GB afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
For me, the Hackint0sh holds little appeal as an HTPC. A lot of the good media-centric applications are on Windows.

In any case, given that the new Mac's feature 2nd Gen Core i-series processors, support is probably already there at least for the major stuff such as chipsets and CPU. You just need to find a compatible motherboard. Probably best to visit the Mac section of this forum or a dedicated Hackint0sh forum to check on compatible motherboards.
post #3 of 48 Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a quick google gave me the following:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/
post #4 of 48 Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, but that lists ONLY Gigabyte motherboards.
post #5 of 48 Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM

sorry i misread, thought that was ur to buy list, not bought list.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

For me, the Hackint0sh holds little appeal as an HTPC. A lot of the good media-centric applications are on Windows.

In any case, given that the new Mac's feature 2nd Gen Core i-series processors, support is probably already there at least for the major stuff such as chipsets and CPU. You just need to find a compatible motherboard. Probably best to visit the Mac section of this forum or a dedicated Hackint0sh forum to check on compatible motherboards.

I have both windows xp/7/8 and osx,osx is way better for htpc.All the software that is on windows is also available for osx and offers better interface and looks better.Just install Xbmc,Plex and other software vill ofer you same thing as windows.
Only thing i miss from windows is JetAudio and IPTV.
post #7 of 48 Old 04-20-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Only looks better? That's not enough to persuade me to try osx for htpc use lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 48 Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIV73 View Post

I have both windows xp/7/8 and osx,osx is way better for htpc.All the software that is on windows is also available for osx and offers better interface and looks better.Just install Xbmc,Plex and other software vill ofer you same thing as windows.
Only thing i miss from windows is JetAudio and IPTV.

Hate to be raining on your parade, but I think a reality check is in order. How about Blu-ray playback, PVR functionality, live TV support for satellite, cable & terrestrial TV, encrypted TV support, bitstreaming HD audio formats, etc., etc.

AFAIK running a Mac as a HTPC platform will give you none of that. Plex and XBMC are nice media library apps but a broadly functional HTPC needs to run on Windows, period.

I like the Mac's "just works" approach but unfortunately that is not good enugh for HTPC at this point.
post #9 of 48 Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A few years ago, when the installation process was awful, I managed to run EyeTV with an EyeTV 250 on an AMD Athlon X2 running with only one core and an extremely tempermental ethernet card. It didn't work very well.
post #10 of 48 Old 04-21-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I built a Hackintosh a couple of years ago and I honestly can't remember the last time I even booted it up to play with it. Windows 7 is a far better platform for HTPCs, IMHO, mainly because it supports cablecard tuners and Blu-Ray playback. Besides, I don't like any platform that limits you to specific configurations, which is why I'll never own a Mac. The Hackintosh was a fun experiment, but I always keep coming back to my tried and true Windows PC. I'm no fan of Microsoft products, but WMC is the best thing that ever came out of Redmond, WA.
post #11 of 48 Old 04-21-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I built a Hackintosh a couple of years ago and I honestly can't remember the last time I even booted it up to play with it. Windows 7 is a far better platform for HTPCs, IMHO, mainly because it supports cablecard tuners and Blu-Ray playback. Besides, I don't like any platform that limits you to specific configurations, which is why I'll never own a Mac. The Hackintosh was a fun experiment, but I always keep coming back to my tried and true Windows PC. I'm no fan of Microsoft products, but WMC is the best thing that ever came out of Redmond, WA.

I put together a Hackintosh 2 years ago but I will not put it to use for any HTPC for the same reason you given here.
post #12 of 48 Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Unless you're a Mac-Fanboy, why would you bother? All the decent tools and programs seem to favor Windows.
post #13 of 48 Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Unless you're very capable technically, you should be buying components that are known to be OSX-friendly.

Gigabyte products are preferred at tonymacx86 because they are the most compatible out-of-the-box. Some boards don't work well even with considerable tinkering by experts.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #14 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Hate to be raining on your parade, but I think a reality check is in order. How about Blu-ray playback, PVR functionality, live TV support for satellite, cable & terrestrial TV, encrypted TV support, bitstreaming HD audio formats, etc., etc.

AFAIK running a Mac as a HTPC platform will give you none of that. Plex and XBMC are nice media library apps but a broadly functional HTPC needs to run on Windows, period.

I like the Mac's "just works" approach but unfortunately that is not good enugh for HTPC at this point.

Im no fanboy,but i prefer osx-it just feels better.
Yes there are somethings that osx lacks like iptv.But you can use osx for dvr,tv tuner to watch cable and satellite and listen to hd audio(its better to use external audio card for that).

Yeah if you have time to waste tweaking windows to your liking and like tweaking things than yeah windows all the way.I used to make unattended custom Nlite windows dvd's.But ever sense i got imac windows doesn't get booted that often.
VLC,MPlayer,and Perian play any audio/video file.There is plenty of music players that play any hd format,and best of all osx can run for 10 years without having to reinstall it.

Oh and blu ray is supported with external drive that you will have to get for any mac because apple optical drives are garbage.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

But you can use osx for dvr,tv tuner to watch cable and satellite

Huh? How can you watch HD cable and satellite on a mac?

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #16 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Ubuntu would be a better choice than MacOS, if you're an absolute anti-MS.
post #17 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Im no fanboy,but i prefer osx-it just feels better.
Yes there are somethings that osx lacks like iptv.But you can use osx for dvr,tv tuner to watch cable and satellite and listen to hd audio(its better to use external audio card for that).

Yeah if you have time to waste tweaking windows to your liking and like tweaking things than yeah windows all the way.I used to make unattended custom Nlite windows dvd's.But ever sense i got imac windows doesn't get booted that often.
VLC,MPlayer,and Perian play any audio/video file.There is plenty of music players that play any hd format,and best of all osx can run for 10 years without having to reinstall it.

Oh and blu ray is supported with external drive that you will have to get for any mac because apple optical drives are garbage.

By HD audio, many people on this thread are referring to the ability to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to their avr for decoding and equalization.

By having a computer with an hdmi connection, it's also possible to send 24/192 multichannel files via hdmi to a the avr without having to invest funds in a separate sound card.
post #18 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Ugh, I tried doing this a couple months ago and it was a nightmare. I never did get it to work. I would be absolutely sure that your hardware is compatible and tested before you try to do this.
post #19 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

By HD audio, many people on this thread are referring to the ability to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to their avr for decoding and equalization.

By having a computer with an hdmi connection, it's also possible to send 24/192 multichannel files via hdmi to a the avr without having to invest funds in a separate sound card.

New macs have hdmi and can bitsream.But i have to agree that macs are for people that have money and im not one of them,lol.
post #20 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

Huh? How can you watch HD cable and satellite on a mac?

Usb or Firewire tv tuner.
post #21 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Ubuntu would be a better choice than MacOS, if you're an absolute anti-MS.

Linux,i had to type in terminal like 4 commands just to be able to copy files from one hd to another.I will take windows or osx over linux anyday.
If i wanted something different i would chose Amiga os4 or MorphOS.
post #22 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Linux,i had to type in terminal like 4 commands just to be able to copy files from one hd to another.I will take windows or osx over linux anyday.
If i wanted something different i would chose Amiga os4 or MorphOS.

Ubuntu and Mint 11/12 have no command line involved unless, you wanna download and install XBMC but there's a version of Ubuntu with XBMC built into it and also a version of MythTV with Ubuntu or MythUbuntu.

But Ubuntu has the same DRM problems as OSX platforms do when it comes to premium cable channels.

Tweaking Windows????

I've hardly touched my Windows 7 install. It has Shark 007 codecs but I hardly use it. If have to watch some file that's not supported by WMC by default, I just use VLC player.

I use my HTPC primarily as a DVR/PVR with some streaming content to fill in the blanks. This is something WMC does extremely well without any tweaking needed.

When watching TV, all version of Media Center have been super stable. The occasional Low Bite Rate error comes up once in a Blue Moon. I got one the other day, but a reboot solved that issue. I can't remember the last time I got that, maybe 2009?

I've been having more problems with XBMC. I may have found a fix for ESPN3 but I can't stop You Tube videos from repeating once they've been watched once.

Using WMC as intended causes few problems. When you wanna additionally functionality however that is when tweaking might be needed. These are some of the things I hope Windows 8 fixes.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #23 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Ubuntu and Mint 11/12 have no command line involved unless, you wanna download and install XBMC but there's a version of Ubuntu with XBMC built into it and also a version of MythTV with Ubuntu or MythUbuntu.

But Ubuntu has the same DRM problems as OSX platforms do when it comes to premium cable channels.

Tweaking Windows????

I've hardly touched my Windows 7 install. It has Shark 007 codecs but I hardly use it. If have to watch some file that's not supported by WMC by default, I just use VLC player.

I use my HTPC primarily as a DVR/PVR with some streaming content to fill in the blanks. This is something WMC does extremely well without any tweaking needed.

When watching TV, all version of Media Center have been super stable. The occasional Low Bite Rate error comes up once in a Blue Moon. I got one the other day, but a reboot solved that issue. I can't remember the last time I got that, maybe 2009?

I've been having more problems with XBMC. I may have found a fix for ESPN3 but I can't stop You Tube videos from repeating once they've been watched once.

Using WMC as intended causes few problems. When you wanna additionally functionality however that is when tweaking might be needed. These are some of the things I hope Windows 8 fixes.

I never install codecs on windows they can cause problems.But if you must install codecs try CCCP pack,its the best one and its minimal and not bloated like other ones.

And for best sound quality and video quality use JetAudio-its absolute best and nothing else comes close to it,plus you can use it as media center.

As far as using windows media center,windows media player or internet explorer-i never use them because they are virus magnets.
I usually make custom win7 dvd using free program called "RT Se7en Lite",with that you can remove all the junk like internet explorer and language files and slim your windows from 2.2 gb to less than 1gb,plus make it faster and less vulnerable to viruses.

As far as windows 8 goes,unless they make some major changes from their beta builds,unless you are useing touchscreen pc or tablet-windows 8 is useless if you are using a mouse.
post #24 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never install codecs on windows they can cause problems.But if you must install codecs try CCCP pack,its the best one and its minimal and not bloated like other ones.

And for best sound quality and video quality use JetAudio-its absolute best and nothing else comes close to it,plus you can use it as media center.

As far as using windows media center,windows media player or internet explorer-i never use them because they are virus magnets.
I usually make custom win7 dvd using free program called "RT Se7en Lite",with that you can remove all the junk like internet explorer and language files and slim your windows from 2.2 gb to less than 1gb,plus make it faster and less vulnerable to viruses.

As far as windows 8 goes,unless they make some major changes from their beta builds,unless you are useing touchscreen pc or tablet-windows 8 is useless if you are using a mouse.

I know about slimming down windows to below 2GB, however I may just migrate from the OS HDD to the SSD. Replay AV uses WMP by default and I haven't had any virus issues. Second Run TV uses IE by default as well as far as I know you can not use another browser with it. The language files I can do without however and maybe some other files.

I only use a mouse with my HTPC if my batteries are dead in my original MCE remove.

I am trying XBMC to eliminate using a mouse for anything, keyboard too. I may customize my GUI to eliminate some icons I use other programs for. I may use XBMC for all streaming (once I get ESPN3 to work) because I don't like the way Second Run TV just basically shows the standard internet page, while XBMC plug-ins stream the file into the internal player.

There's a major upgrade coming for Game Browser, so I may use Media Browser for TV Shows, Movies and Console Emulators.

The only other thing I use is Hulu Desktop, which works fine with the remote.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #25 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I know about slimming down windows to below 2GB, however I may just migrate from the OS HDD to the SSD. Replay AV uses WMP by default and I haven't had any virus issues. Second Run TV uses IE by default as well as far as I know you can not use another browser with it. The language files I can do without however and maybe some other files.

I only use a mouse with my HTPC if my batteries are dead in my original MCE remove.

I am trying XBMC to eliminate using a mouse for anything, keyboard too. I may customize my GUI to eliminate some icons I use other programs for. I may use XBMC for all streaming (once I get ESPN3 to work) because I don't like the way Second Run TV just basically shows the standard internet page, while XBMC plug-ins stream the file into the internal player.

There's a major upgrade coming for Game Browser, so I may use Media Browser for TV Shows, Movies and Console Emulators.

The only other thing I use is Hulu Desktop, which works fine with the remote.

Try JetAudio,you can use it as media center with only remote control,it has built in browser so you can watch tv and youtube.
You can also try Miro(great for downloading youtube vids) and Plex Media Center(its similar to xbmc).

Oh and for tv you can try UmPlayer its like vlc and can play any file,plus you can stream Shoutcast tv,download youtube vids,watch live tv and looks better than vlc.
post #26 of 48 Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Building a hackintosh for an HTPC makes no sense whatsoever.
post #27 of 48 Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try JetAudio,you can use it as media center with only remote control,it has built in browser so you can watch tv and youtube.
You can also try Miro(great for downloading youtube vids) and Plex Media Center(its similar to xbmc).

Oh and for tv you can try UmPlayer its like vlc and can play any file,plus you can stream Shoutcast tv,download youtube vids,watch live tv and looks better than vlc.

I used the original Jet Audio back in the x486 days. Not sure what value it would have now. WMP works for what it does on this machine which is play back the audio files PVR'ed by Replay A/V. It either downloads from RSS feeds or records the stream. When I had a Sirius account, it recorded that too...

It has a built-in audio converter as well, it will also capture video streams.

I've found nothing I want to watch on Shoutcast. XBMC can also download You Tube videos but I normally have no use for that. I know you can use some TV tuners with VLC, but this all this is not integrated like Windows Media Center which serves my purposes without complaint.

I just wished Internet TV was more robust or that you could add your own streams too it. Most content providers are too busy making OSi applications instead of building new Media Center apps. Yes I understand why....

Its about time somebody started development of add-ons/plug-ins for Media Browser.

I like my current configuration actually.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #28 of 48 Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

New macs have hdmi and can bitsream.But i have to agree that macs are for people that have money and im not one of them,lol.

I had no idea that a Mac can bitstream.

My friend has a new 13" i5 Macbook Pro and he cannot get DTS-HD. I'll have to see what he's using for playback.
post #29 of 48 Old 05-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

I had no idea that a Mac can bitstream.

My friend has a new 13" i5 Macbook Pro and he cannot get DTS-HD. I'll have to see what he's using for playback.

He probably has older model without hdmi,only 2011 and up have hdmi.But one thing that apple dont tell you and it took me 5 years to find out about it,is that 3.5 audio out(or in dont remember) has a hidden optical output inside it!
Apple has their proprietary 3.5 cord with optical running in the middle,yes sound strange but its true,so you can stream from any intel mac through optical out.
But audiophilies still use external usb dac,there is also a six hundred dollar audio player for mac,i can find.out the name if anuone.wants it that sound relly supperb and has advanced bittstreaming options,i tried a "leagaly" aquired version and it really profesional player.
There is also cheaper ones $20-$50 that produce better sound.
post #30 of 48 Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I used the original Jet Audio back in the x486 days. Not sure what value it would have now. WMP works for what it does on this machine which is play back the audio files PVR'ed by Replay A/V. It either downloads from RSS feeds or records the stream. When I had a Sirius account, it recorded that too...

It has a built-in audio converter as well, it will also capture video streams.

I've found nothing I want to watch on Shoutcast. XBMC can also download You Tube videos but I normally have no use for that. I know you can use some TV tuners with VLC, but this all this is not integrated like Windows Media Center which serves my purposes without complaint.

I just wished Internet TV was more robust or that you could add your own streams too it. Most content providers are too busy making OSi applications instead of building new Media Center apps. Yes I understand why....

Its about time somebody started development of add-ons/plug-ins for Media Browser.

I like my current configuration actually.

Man jetaudio came along way since those days,try it its free-you want be dissapointed,you can thank me later.
Plus for audio there is nothing better out there its the only player that support 32-64 bit sound,put it this way-this is the player that audiophilies use on windows and there is nothing better even on osx.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page