No HDMI sound from Radeon 6870 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Everything was fine on my new system for about two weeks then all of sudden I get no sound out of HDMI. I have my HDTV connected to XFX Radeon 6870 via HDMI-HDMI on Asus P8P67 LE. Playback device is set to HDMI output, the cable/connection is fine, and updated/reinstalled drivers to no avail. Does anyone know what's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
I had a similar problem and deleting the audio devices in the device manager to let windows reinstall them worked like a charm.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettvdi View Post

I had a similar problem and deleting the audio devices in the device manager to let windows reinstall them worked like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck with me.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Are you using the Ati hdmi drivers? What is your default audio device under Win7?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Are you using the Ati hdmi drivers? What is your default audio device under Win7?

Well, it shows Realtek HDMI Output - ATI HDMI Device as the default. How do I use ATI driver? I tried removing Realtek driver and installing ATI driver but it still shows as same.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM

It seems I jinxed myself. My hard drive went down and I had to recover to a new hard drive (thank you acronis - was very painless). When everything was back up I suddenly had the error popping up again.

I started changing all the settings I could think of one by one. I figured it had to be something within the set up. I got to the hd audio device properties and unchecked the box in the picture (Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device). Since that's been unchecked, everything is working great.

Hopefully this will work for you too.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 PM

I realized that after that change, I'm was only getting 2ch sound out. I uninstalled the AMD Driver and downloaded the latest realtek hd audio device driver, and now all is well. Now in my audio device properties, it says HDCP supported (which is said not supported previously) and there is an extra tab to enable additional supported formats, DTS etc. If you have realtek built in, this might work for you as well.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
You should stay away from the Realtek hdmi driver if you are using an Ati card.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
You should stay away from the Realtek hdmi driver if you are using an Ati card.
I have integrated ATI 4200 and I'm not sure what other options I have. I've uninstalled / reinstalled ATI drivers countless times and it seems like this problem keeps coming back.

Why do you suggest using Realtek drivers is bad and what other option is there if the other drivers don't work?
post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

First of all, thanks for remembering and helping me with my problem. Last week I also tinkered with some settings but nothing happened. But next day when I turned on my PC the sound was back. Then again the very next day it was gone. Frustrated and still not knowing what the problem or solution was, I tried again to tinker with settings and reinstalling drivers. Nothing happened again so I used the PC without changing anything. And after a few days later the sound was back.

At that time while the PC was powering on, I thought I noticed (not sure though because I wasn't really paying attention) it was resetting during BIOS as though something has changed as it took longer than usual. Anyway since then, HDMI sound has been working! As an attempt to keep the sound working, I reinstalled Windows 7 and made sure ATI driver was installed instead of Realtek this time. So now my default playback device indicates "AMD HDMI Output" rather than "Realtek HDMI Output" unlike before (removing Realtek driver and installing ATI driver didn't change this before).

It's been several days now that the sound has been working. I still don't know what caused it but at this point I'm just hoping it stays. Any clue what might be the problem based on my experience?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Go in to your BIOS settings and "disable" on board audio (audio output via the motherboard) to eliminate conflicts.

Marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post

Go in to your BIOS settings and "disable" on board audio (audio output via the motherboard) to eliminate conflicts.

Marcus

Actually disabling onboard audio was one of the things I tried before without success. Right now as HDMI audio is working, onboard audio is enabled. Maybe my system is slow to react to changes. Now I'm just scared that changing anything might cause the problem again. So I'll try this if my audio goes away again. Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page