Computer controlled HDMI switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a basic question. I'm just looking at building an HTPC but one of the issues is having to deal with yet another input on the TV. It would be great if there was a way to setup the PC as the sole connection to the TV, and then connect other HDMI devices into the PC and use it as a switch and have a menu to select "Cable", "TiVo", etc... Does something like this exist? Has anyone done it before? What would you call this to start googling?

EDIT: I have searched for HDMI switches, and what comes up are standalone switches that have their own separate remotes. My goal here is for the PC itself to act as the switch, providing an integrated interface with the rest of the HTPC software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Nothing exists.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by orever View Post

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a basic question. I'm just looking at building an HTPC but one of the issues is having to deal with yet another input on the TV. It would be great if there was a way to setup the PC as the sole connection to the TV, and then connect other HDMI devices into the PC and use it as a switch and have a menu to select "Cable", "TiVo", etc... Does something like this exist? Has anyone done it before? What would you call this to start googling?

EDIT: I have searched for HDMI switches, and what comes up are standalone switches that have their own separate remotes. My goal here is for the PC itself to act as the switch, providing an integrated interface with the rest of the HTPC software.

Net media makes a switch that can be controlled via RS232. Eventghost running on the PC is one way to control it.

http://www.markertek.com/Routers-Swi...HDMI-4X1.xhtml

You can also use an irblaster like lirc with Eventghost but there is no
way to get status from the switch.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page