CCD CCTV camera to TV tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello
I have been thinking of purchasing a CCD type CCTV camera to monitor my garage activity mainly at night and when I'm away. I was thinking instead of purchasing some highly expensive DVR system for 1 camera that I could just somehow set it up to my PC's TV tuner, and use some sort of DVR software to record its display to the PC hard drive.

Is this possible, or am I thinking something completely different here? I've seen those PCI-E DVR cards selling for reasonably cheap, AFAIK most of these camera use something called a "BNC" port which is obviously a little different from a normal coaxial. I don't want to buy one of those cards if I don't have to, since I really don't ever plan on using more than 1 camera, most of those have like at least 4 channels to support multiple cams

Could I somehow hook 1 camera up to the TV tuner and tune into the camera's channel to record to the hard drive? If I could do this what sorta software should I be looking at (preferably freeware), and how exactly would I make that BNC port connect to my TV tuner?

any info here would help, I know nothing about these AV ports or DVRs. t

thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Which tuner? A lot of them have composite video in and a lot of them can tune NTSC (so you can use a cheap modulator).
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
post #4 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Which tuner? A lot of them have composite video in and a lot of them can tune NTSC (so you can use a cheap modulator).

thanks for your reply.

its a Hauppage WinTV HVR-1800. I don't know if it has composite video in but I'm pretty sure it can tune NTSC. what kind of modulator do you mean exactly? I remember using an RF modulator on those on old console gaming systems that did not have the typical AV ports (white, yellow, red) other than that I don't know nothing about them. maybe I could use the modulator to convert the BNC to these typical AV ports or the normal coax port?

Derek K.: thank you, that is exactly the kind of software I was looking for. I will read more of the documentation and see if I can get a test install working later.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderider View Post

Derek K.: thank you, that is exactly the kind of software I was looking for. I will read more of the documentation and see if I can get a test install working later.

pm me if you need any help with it.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauppauge website View Post

Composite/S-Video and audio inputs, for cable or satellite set top boxes or VCRs.

You only need a BNC to RCA adapter and the WinTV software that came with the card.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM

"You only need a BNC to RCA adapter and the WinTV software that came with the card."

Do you know, once you have the BNC to RCA can that be connected to a "Video In" such as the one on a video capture PC adapter device? Or does that have to be sent to a "TV Tuner"?

I ask because I need to conect the "Mon" (BNC) output from a security camera box to a PC. I got a USB Video Capture device, but now I'm thinking that I needed a TV tuner instead?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

a tuner won't work. you need a card with a composite input.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you have neither a CCTV camera nor a tuner card, why do you consider such a solution? There are systems designed for surveillance such as Foscam cameras. They can be both wired and wireless with great range and even night vision. And you can hook up multiples of them for less than $100 each (recent deal was $69@ for FL8910W) and you can record the footage.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page