Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Cable Card Tuner For US Market! - Page 17 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 492 Old 02-28-2015, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtarky View Post
Hello, back again. I finally had my card stay activated for about a year.YAY. Unfortunately Sunday I noticed new firmware was available for it, I had firmware version 2011xxxx. Something was telling me DO NOT DO THIS! But did I listen ...NO! I installed new firmware , web gui page kept its ip address and the card stayed activated. I am even able to detect channels. however WMC says no cablecard detected.

I have even ran hwclear script and reinstalled it. I still am able to do everything in web gui, but WMC still doesnt detect.
First lesson with drivers, if it ain't broke.... Only people that need to concern themselves with constantly tweaked drivers is gamers, since they are constantly benchmarking their hardware, any incremental improvement is celebrated like somebody had a baby.

Anyway, hell has froze over and after being with DirecTV since 1992, the parental units have decided enough was enough.

We have a TWC truck roll coming up on March 3rd. I don't have all the details but I believe we'll be getting all the same channels so if that's the case, I will be getting a standard HD cable box, yuck.

Can I just pull the card from the cable box and insert it into the DCR-2650? Or do I need a special M-card and do I need to let TWC CS about that?

The upside is all my local HD's will finally be available instead of the current mix of some HD (CBS, NBC, KTLA for those in LA) and SD (ABC, FOX and UPN/MyTV). The only thing I tend to record off the majors is NASCAR which is on Fox half the season.

Other than that, no major changes that I can tell.

Do trucks normally have the tuner adapters on-board or again is that an item I need to request?

Thanks

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 492 Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump because I am about to order the dcr-2650 so it will be here in time and need to know if I need to let somebody at TWC know I need a certain card or just the one in the cable box.

Also it's the whole shot (Internet, Phone, Cable) I have read that some people have experienced a signal quality drop off severe enough with all devices connected to the broadband converter that the tuner will not see the signal and produce an error message.

So I wanted to know if I should be here when the tech is here to make sure he set me up first before the rest of the house since I will need full signal strength to prevent errors.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #483 of 492 Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Bump because I am about to order the dcr-2650 so it will be here in time and need to know if I need to let somebody at TWC know I need a certain card or just the one in the cable box.

Also it's the whole shot (Internet, Phone, Cable) I have read that some people have experienced a signal quality drop off severe enough with all devices connected to the broadband converter that the tuner will not see the signal and produce an error message.

So I wanted to know if I should be here when the tech is here to make sure he set me up first before the rest of the house since I will need full signal strength to prevent errors.
Yeah I know some providers take 2 different types of cards, You probably should have TWC supply you the card being as that is a big provider they may even have scripts that can walk them thru the setup. My provider is growing but I am probably the only one with this setup. Anyway I decided to put my windows8 SSD drive I setup awhile back incase of hard drive failure of my current system, the main reason I hadn't swapped it out was because the system was working and everytime I messed with the tuner it would drop association and it would sometimes take a week or so before the provider could fix it. Well since it was broke I put that win8 drive in and in some bizarre luck the association stuck and it even received channels...I have no idea why my windows 7 setup stopped working
post #484 of 492 Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

You need to get a card from your cable provider directly (with a monthly charge). The card in the cablebox is married to that box (paired) and won't work with anything else You may also need a Tuning Adapter (which should be free), Once everything setup, you need to all and get your cable card paired with your tuner. That's when fun starts
post #485 of 492 Old 03-06-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 601
There are different types of cards. You need a multi-stream or "M-card", which is most likely what they'll give you anyway. A Motorola M-Card can be identified by the red graphics printed on it.

The tech is going to be clueless when it comes to the 2650, so just tell him to treat it like a Tivo.

FWIW, I always had problems with my 2650. Get a Homerun Prime instead. It's well worth a few extra bucks.

Good luck
post #486 of 492 Old 03-06-2015, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtarky View Post
Yeah I know some providers take 2 different types of cards, You probably should have TWC supply you the card being as that is a big provider they may even have scripts that can walk them thru the setup. My provider is growing but I am probably the only one with this setup. Anyway I decided to put my windows8 SSD drive I setup awhile back incase of hard drive failure of my current system, the main reason I hadn't swapped it out was because the system was working and everytime I messed with the tuner it would drop association and it would sometimes take a week or so before the provider could fix it. Well since it was broke I put that win8 drive in and in some bizarre luck the association stuck and it even received channels...I have no idea why my windows 7 setup stopped working
I am not sure what you mean?

Do you mean when the installer comes ask for a CableCARD and if he has one take and the SDV? Or will I have to wait until they have installed everything and then go down to TWC and get the card and the tuning adapter?

I have an SSD drive in my Windows 7 MCE HTPC. I've already run the Digital Cable Adviser and passed with flying colors.

Reading the reviews I am just going to follow the directions to the letter.

I just ordered it about an hour ago for same day delivery, it must be coming from their warehouse near Fontana.

The install won't happen until March 10th. So should I go get the cable card now or wait until the account is active?

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #487 of 492 Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am not sure what you mean?

Do you mean when the installer comes ask for a CableCARD and if he has one take and the SDV? Or will I have to wait until they have installed everything and then go down to TWC and get the card and the tuning adapter?

I have an SSD drive in my Windows 7 MCE HTPC. I've already run the Digital Cable Adviser and passed with flying colors.

Reading the reviews I am just going to follow the directions to the letter.

I just ordered it about an hour ago for same day delivery, it must be coming from their warehouse near Fontana.

The install won't happen until March 10th. So should I go get the cable card now or wait until the account is active?
I don't have a tuning adapter, might be something that TWC requires, i have no idea. found this, have you seen this? http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5...bd-p/Hauppauge I have had mine about 2 years it is ok but I bet technology has passed it.I halfway thought about getting something else. sometimes HD lags on it but that seems intermittent
post #488 of 492 Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you already have service and a cable box, you can easily do the install yourself if you pick up a card and TA. Call to activate, and you'll be up and running in a couple of minutes. If you happen to get someone on the line who doesn't normally do cable cards, could take longer.

If you want the installer to do it, just wait, and he'll bring everything needed (card and TA if required) IF you tell him you have a Tivo. Otherwise, he may be unprepared and have to go back to the office.

One thing you'll want to do with the TA is split the incoming line before and connect one leg to the TA and the other to your 2650. Some TA's have a pass-thru you may be tempted to use, but those will greatly weaken your signal.
post #489 of 492 Old 03-07-2015, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If you already have service and a cable box, you can easily do the install yourself if you pick up a card and TA. Call to activate, and you'll be up and running in a couple of minutes. If you happen to get someone on the line who doesn't normally do cable cards, could take longer.

If you want the installer to do it, just wait, and he'll bring everything needed (card and TA if required) IF you tell him you have a Tivo. Otherwise, he may be unprepared and have to go back to the office.

One thing you'll want to do with the TA is split the incoming line before and connect one leg to the TA and the other to your 2650. Some TA's have a pass-thru you may be tempted to use, but those will greatly weaken your signal.
Great, I will update the install worksheet to include a Tivo to prevent confusion. Now I went to TWC's local website and according to them TA's aren't needed or I'm unable to order one online.

I have read about the weaken signal concerns with the tuner. I don't know if I will be around at the time of the install, we'll see.

If I am not, I will have to go through the final steps I guess or I could leave a note and the Hauppauge directions to follow since my PC is always on because of a problem with S3 now.

I've heard some people have problems with the tuner but many others no problem. Don't pretend HomeRun's don't fail or come DOA.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #490 of 492 Old 03-07-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sure they do. But my 2650's still don't work when there's nothing wrong with them. They have a flawed design. You'll find out for yourself soon enough. At least you know what you're getting into.

I use Ceton myself and only recommend Homerun for the price and low tuner count.
post #491 of 492 Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sure they do. But my 2650's still don't work when there's nothing wrong with them. They have a flawed design. You'll find out for yourself soon enough. At least you know what you're getting into.

I use Ceton myself and only recommend Homerun for the price and low tuner count.
Define poor design, it over heats? Like I said lots of reviews have find nothing wrong with it. Only a few complain of it not working at all, or DOA, which is normal for electronics. Either it will work or it just won't, only a Sirius car tuner would work intermittently and it turned out to be a cracked circuit board.

It was repaired and I sold it to a friend and last I heard it's still running and I bought it refurbished to start with.

Look if you had problems, fine but others don't have problems. I don't trust network tuners, I am not going to buy power line adapters or hard wire the house (a) it's not my house (b) I am too busy to do it.

MoCA is a thought but as I said, I think it will be fine, if not, I will look at other options. I bought it via Amazon, fabulous return policy.

TWC's tuning adapters are the same size as a converter box....

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #492 of 492 Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DOA not the case with any of mine. I've had 3 of them over the years, hoping I would get one that worked reliably. All gave me bogus "tuner not found" errors quite often, resulting in many missed recordings. Don't take my word for it. Just Google it. Even reported in this very thread.

I don't think this is due to any failure or damage or hardware defect. They probably passed the factory tests with flying colors. The problem is likely the firmware/software. Maybe it's been fixed by now (last time I tried was 2013). I didn't hang around long enough to find out.

While the 2650 is made by Silicon Dust just like the Prime and uses SD firmware, it simply doesn't get the updates or attention SD badged versions get. I found this out very quickly when I replaced mine with a Prime and later a Ceton, both of which got far more frequent updates. I really hoped the 2650 would work because I was trying to keep my costs down at the time. But it never did.

If you don't trust network tuners, give PCIe a try.

In any case, I hope it works for you better than it did for me.

Last edited by mdavej; 03-11-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page