Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Cable Card Tuner For US Market! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 479 Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post
I would think it really depends on the nettop. It seems some of the newer AMD based ones are better suited for the task.
Over at Silicon Dust there is a forum thread about nettops. One poster says he has an Acer Aspire Revo 3700 (Atom D525 1.8 gHz dual core with ION graphics) that works fine with an ATi DCT.

He upped the RAM to 4 gigs and uses an SSD for his system drive (eSATA for recordings) and can record one show and play back another with no problems. He plays Hulu with no problems but isn't interested in Netflix so doesn't comment on that. He doesn't use the Revo for watching Blu-Ray rips or doing background video processing but as a DVR it seems to keep him happy.

I don't know what his CPU usage is like and wish he had two (or even three) DCTs to stress his system but it is an encouraging report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 479 Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post

Over at Silicon Dust there is a forum thread about nettops. One poster says he has an Acer Aspire Revo 3700 (Atom D525 1.8 gHz dual core with ION graphics) that works fine with an ATi DCT.

He upped the RAM to 4 gigs and uses an SSD for his system drive (eSATA for recordings) and can record one show and play back another with no problems. He plays Hulu with no problems but isn't interested in Netflix so doesn't comment on that. He doesn't use the Revo for watching Blu-Ray rips or doing background video processing but as a DVR it seems to keep him happy.

I don't know what his CPU usage is like and wish he had two (or even three) DCTs to stress his system but it is an encouraging report.

I used an ASUS Atom Ion for a long while as my primary workstation, it worked fine at everything especially TV and BD. Where it was fussy was trying to play high bit rate MKV.. that had HD audio. I never go around to trying to the Arcsoft dll to convert DTS MA and Dolby HDl. The reason I moved to Sandy Bridge and Nvidia GT 545 was to have a production test top that was comparable to my main HTPC from testing perspective. I don't need the Atom in production now, but I will be setting it up with the Arcsoft Decoder. TV, was no issue at all. 1st gen 4 gig 500 gig mfm drive.

The Atom ION was is a solid box... the other issue was noise in audio on toslink and analog. It pretty much needed to be sending audio through HDMI. I think if I had gone all PCM it would have played everything well. It did Okay with Netflix surpisingly.

But since I spend so much time testing for the main HTPC I wanted something very close in configuration and the Atom was slow with maintenance tasks like virus scanning etc. But as a dedicated HTPC client it was okay, no good to run anything fancy like madVR but I will do configuration changes and put on the bedroom plasma.

I almost used it to head a WHS setup then though why. It has ION and it is a fully configured Win 7 32 Pro box, working perfectly why break it down. I used a G620 and a cheap Biostar mainboard to build the WHS. I do need a couple more cable card tuners to cover every display in the house. Hate to pay for a second cable card though.Never had any trouble with ATSC or HD Digital Cable viewing or recording.

Just another blank signature.
post #93 of 479 Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM

My confused lay understanding is that encryption of cable signals imposes a a heavy burden on the PC. The cableco encryption has to be removed and Microsoft encryption has to be applied to recordings and then the latter has to be decrypted during playback. Plus, the Media Center GUI imposes additional burdens. All or most of these burdens fall on the CPU, not the GPU. Thus, recording multiple encrypted streams while playing back a recorded one may be beyond an Atom or a lower end AMD Fusion even though unecrypted streams would not be.

I hope I am wrong but that is my (mis)understanding.
post #94 of 479 Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I ordered a Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 to use as a second set of tuners for the master bedroom media center. It's on back order at the moment, but should be here mid next week. The primary HTPC will be using the new Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB (not available until mid-September). Both HTPCs are 2011 Mac Mini Servers that I upgraded to 256GB SSD, 750GB 7.2k HDD, 8GB RAM. Obviously, the USB tuners make this possible. Originally, I was going to network share the Ceton, but I don't want to affect the overall network load....

PLUS, everyone has been saying the the DCR-2650 is the same as the HDHR Prime less a tuner, so it got me thinking that EyeTV maybe able to use one of the tuners if bridged. I know it would be only Copy Freely and QAM, but that's enough for part-time use on my Macbook Pro or iMac.

Can someone test with EyeTV on OSX to see if the DCR-2650 bridged tuner can be discovered by EyeTV's Setup Assistant?
post #95 of 479 Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Liked: 14
Mine just came in today!
post #96 of 479 Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Having a hard time figuring out if this unit if installed to my computer can run my XB360 as well over the network. Simple answer with the HDHomerun, but this one seems like you can't, but correct me if I am wrong.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #97 of 479 Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My confused lay understanding is that encryption of cable signals imposes a a heavy burden on the PC. The cableco encryption has to be removed and Microsoft encryption has to be applied to recordings and then the latter has to be decrypted during playback. Plus, the Media Center GUI imposes additional burdens. All or most of these burdens fall on the CPU, not the GPU. Thus, recording multiple encrypted streams while playing back a recorded one may be beyond an Atom or a lower end AMD Fusion even though unecrypted streams would not be.

I hope I am wrong but that is my (mis)understanding.

The encryption does not seem to be a problem for the CPU at all. Works perfectly fine on my Atom ION.

It does seem to burden the wirless stream.. probably just because it is so timing senitive. Different wirless routers, different nics at different distances in different home will give different experiences. I have two wirless routers one seemed to wrok okay... distance was a problem but within range pretty near perfect playback, bought a new higher end router and it struggle right next to router.. it played the same at good distance but it stuttered everywhere.

post #98 of 479 Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post

Having a hard time figuring out if this unit if installed to my computer can run my XB360 as well over the network. Simple answer with the HDHomerun, but this one seems like you can't, but correct me if I am wrong.

You won't know without trying it. It should work just like any HD Homerun. If it is setup as a tuner to which the Xbox is paired as an extender.

post #99 of 479 Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

Mine just came in today!

Hope mine is coming soon too.

I can't wait to try bridging it to see if EyeTV can pick it up. The unboxing pics make it appear smaller than i thought. Is it larger or smaller than the Ceton USB? Anyone try on USB power only?
post #100 of 479 Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Liked: 14
I was able to get mine moved over from my TivoHD to the DCR-2650 very easily with Comcast. I was able to do it through their live chat, if you go to Comcast.com and then click on "Contact Us" at the bottom, then choose Live Chat, Choose Trouble > Cable TV > Other and within a minute I had someone on Live chat and all I had to do was give them the CableCard Serial # and it was working! So much easier than when I initially got my CableCard installed by a tech who had NO CLUE what he was doing and wouldn't listen to a word I said about the information he needed to give the person on the other end. Thankfully that has all changed now!
post #101 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM

I seriously hope mine is shipping soon, College football starts this weekend. Is mostly everyone else receiving there's now? If so I guess mine should be shipping soon.
post #102 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Hope mine is coming soon too.

I can't wait to try bridging it to see if EyeTV can pick it up. The unboxing pics make it appear smaller than i thought. Is it larger or smaller than the Ceton USB? Anyone try on USB power only?

I don't know officially how it sizes up the the Ceton, but I'm guessing roughly the same. Device won't work on USB power unfortunately. It needs a dedicated plug.
post #103 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymania View Post

I don't know officially how it sizes up the the Ceton, but I'm guessing roughly the same. Device won't work on USB power unfortunately. It needs a dedicated plug.

Thank you!

My device is still on back order. I debating if I should get another Ceton and just wait.
post #104 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Got mine Friday. Woo hoo. Not without pain, and it's not 100%, but I'm getting there.

It works with ESPN and all the locals (all in HD), so I'm good for College football this weekend.
post #105 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM

I checked with B&H Photo and the Hauppauge DCR-2650 is on Pre-Order / Backorder for an unknown length of time. Customer service said it would likely be after next week which puts me in the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB time frame. I'm going with my original idea to do dual Ceton InfiniTV 4 USBs (one for each HTPC) and share two tuners with the living room for a total of 6 using tuner salad. The master bedroom does not need all 4. Primarily, this is for redundancy, stability, and lower network traffic. All the SD HDHR Prime network errors scared me off, so for 50 more than the 6-tuner HDHR Prime I get two extra tuners.
post #106 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

The cableco encryption has to be removed and Microsoft encryption has to be applied

This is done by the device before it passes it on. The CPU never comes into play here.
post #107 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I checked with B&H Photo and the Hauppauge DCR-2650 is on Pre-Order / Backorder for an unknown length of time.

I ordered mine directly from Hauppauge. Are they on back order there too?
post #108 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehobster View Post

I ordered mine directly from Hauppauge. Are they on back order there too?

I'm not sure how deep the back order is for direct orders. But at this point switching to direct will likely also put me too close to the Ceton ship date, which was moved up to September 15th from the 19th.
post #109 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Dumb question: What resolution of HD does this put out? I have noticed that the site doesn't say it does HD, just digital also the HD prime is only 1080i.

I am currently on the wait-list for the HDHR Prime but the extra $100 dollars does not seem worth it. So I might transfer from one list to another. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
post #110 of 479 Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It puts out whatever is being broadcast. If you are watching a channel that's 720p, the tuner puts out 720p. If you are watching a channel that's 1080i, it puts out 1080i. This is true of all digital PC tuners including ATSC/ClearQAM.

The resolution being output from the PC to the TV is another matter of course and dependent on your Windows display settings.
post #111 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM

1. The device constantly disconnects in the middle of channel changes and recordings. When the disconnect happens, you can hear the sound Windows makes when you unplug and plug a USB device in. If the disconnect happens during a recording, the file cannot be deleted until you stop the WMC service.

2. It's not seeing all my channels. It's interesting that the device is generally able to tune some of the channels using the included SiliconDust utils. It's almost as if the entry that maps a channel to a specific frequency is missing (by looking at the device log file). Not knowing how this all works internally this is purely speculation. I can't test the SD utility on encrypted channels since the decryption is tied between the paired device and WMC.

3. As expected, you can't share the file between media centers on the same network. Thank you paranoid studios (or whoever is worried about such things). It would seem natural that machines in a single Homegroup would be able to watch each other's content.

Re: 1 - support tells me there's a fix coming for the disconnect issue.

We haven't looked at #2 yet. I want to get #1 resolved first or this thing's useless.

Re: 3 - I thought I might be able to use the DVBLink software to share content. It's one of their selling points. It turns out that TVSource assumes you're using satellite or a European cable operator. When you configure a source to share, you choose from cable, terrestrial or satellite. Cable and terrestrial force you to pick from a European provider to configure the device. Satellite assumes you have a real LNB that can be configured. Neither is true here. Their resident expert said they don't work with Cablecards.

If anyone has a thought on #3, I'm open to it. Oh, and I'm not going to use my XBox. I don't think switching between a cable box for live TV and an XBox for recorded TV will pass the wife test.
post #112 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:

1. The device constantly disconnects in the middle of channel changes and recordings. When the disconnect happens, you can hear the sound Windows makes when you unplug and plug a USB device in. If the disconnect happens during a recording, the file cannot be deleted until you stop the WMC service.

2. It's not seeing all my channels. It's interesting that the device is generally able to tune some of the channels using the included SiliconDust utils. It's almost as if the entry that maps a channel to a specific frequency is missing (by looking at the device log file). Not knowing how this all works internally this is purely speculation. I can't test the SD utility on encrypted channels since the decryption is tied between the paired device and WMC.

3. As expected, you can't share the file between media centers on the same network. Thank you paranoid studios (or whoever is worried about such things). It would seem natural that machines in a single Homegroup would be able to watch each other's content.

Hmm, sorry you're not having the same experience as me.

1 - This might sound silly - but have you tried both a different USB port and a different USB cable? Also check your power connection. The only time I've ever lost Windows seeing the USB device is from power loss or cable issues. Usually it's irrelevant if a device is 'working' or not.

2 - No idea about this one, other than trying a few different channel lineups to see if one's better than another (the town next to you maybe?), or as a last resort adding channels manually (can this be done?)

3 - I'm pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with this device, or cable cards at all. It's determined by your cable provider. I think if you do a Google search, there are tools that can strip the DRM (basically by transcoding to a diff format) though I'm not directly familiar with any.

Good luck. I hope it's an easy fix. After a full month of use, I'm happy to say the device still works great for me. The only issue I've run into is if I sleep the Media Center, the CC authentication doesn't always come back on. Minor-ly annoying, but not a big deal.
post #113 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Am I correct that this USB tuner would work with the Tuning Adapters/SDV that TWC uses? If so, I might be going back to Cablecard and WMC instead of the horrible TiVo.
post #114 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Am I correct that this USB tuner would work with the Tuning Adapters/SDV that TWC uses? If so, I might be going back to Cablecard and WMC instead of the horrible TiVo.

Hauppauge support told me no. They're working on it. I picked up the TA when I got the Cablecard from TWC with high hopes. I plugged it into Windows. Windows downloaded the correct device driver and installed it. But it seems to not matter.

One thing I find interesting: HDHR Prime does support a TA. The USB from the TA connects to the USB port on the Prime. Since there's only one USB port on the 2650, I'm curious to see how they support a TA.
post #115 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymania View Post

Hmm, sorry you're not having the same experience as me.

1 - This might sound silly - but have you tried both a different USB port and a different USB cable? Also check your power connection. The only time I've ever lost Windows seeing the USB device is from power loss or cable issues. Usually it's irrelevant if a device is 'working' or not.

2 - No idea about this one, other than trying a few different channel lineups to see if one's better than another (the town next to you maybe?), or as a last resort adding channels manually (can this be done?)

3 - I'm pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with this device, or cable cards at all. It's determined by your cable provider. I think if you do a Google search, there are tools that can strip the DRM (basically by transcoding to a diff format) though I'm not directly familiar with any.

Good luck. I hope it's an easy fix. After a full month of use, I'm happy to say the device still works great for me. The only issue I've run into is if I sleep the Media Center, the CC authentication doesn't always come back on. Minor-ly annoying, but not a big deal.

1 - I hope it's not the cable as that is what was provided. I certainly can try using different ports. I really should have done that first. Thanks for a slap in the face

2 - Not really an option. There's only one Time Warner Digital Cable for Central Texas. Outside of that and I'll lose my locals, and it may still not work. I may play around with the manual add thing. I know you can add channels, but I don't know if that works with the Cablecard or not.

3 - I've tried a couple that don't seem to work. It looks like they're geared more for Apple DRM than Cablecard.
post #116 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hauppauge support told me no. They're working on it. I picked up the TA when I got the Cablecard from TWC with high hopes. I plugged it into Windows. Windows downloaded the correct device driver and installed it. But it seems to not matter.

One thing I find interesting: HDHR Prime does support a TA. The USB from the TA connects to the USB port on the Prime. Since there's only one USB port on the 2650, I'm curious to see how they support a TA.

Ah bummer. Guess I could just spring for the prime...
post #117 of 479 Old 08-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

This is done by the device before it passes it on. The CPU never comes into play here.

Thanks for this info (a bit belatedly as I was away). I have only a sketchy idea of how the encryption works and am glad to hear the CPU burden is less than I feared.

With more external DCTs out there I hope to get some idea of the wimpiest PC capable of handling multiple encrypted shows. I am thinking of replacing a twin-tuner TiVoHD and an Atom-based PC with two OTA tuners with a single small, quiet device that is modestly priced. No Blu-Ray or the like so I am hoping an Atom or Zacate would suffice.
post #118 of 479 Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for this info (a bit belatedly as I was away). I have only a sketchy idea of how the encryption works and am glad to hear the CPU burden is less than I feared.

With more external DCTs out there I hope to get some idea of the wimpiest PC capable of handling multiple encrypted shows. I am thinking of replacing a twin-tuner TiVoHD and an Atom-based PC with two OTA tuners with a single small, quiet device that is modestly priced. No Blu-Ray or the like so I am hoping an Atom or Zacate would suffice.

Decryption is handled by the TV tuner card, so CPU won't matter. Decoding the video is the hard part. Atom doesn't have enough oomph on its own, but if you pair it with a video card that supports h.264 and VC-1 decoding, you'll be fine. Nvidia's ION platform comes to mind. (e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101114)
post #119 of 479 Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Okay, so I finally broke down and purchased one. For a while--and especially with the InfiniTV--I was very interested in getting a cable card to replace my HVR-2250 capture card. Unfortunately, the ~$300-$400 made this cost prohibitive. However, for $150, I couldn't turn this down. The 2 tuners doesn't even bother me as I'll still have my HVR-2250 for another 2 tuners (on basic cable, at least).
post #120 of 479 Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM

I use my tablet to watch live TV around my house very often. My current setup is WinTV Extend with HVR1600 PCI card stream wirelessly on N network. But unfortunately i can't get all the digital channels provided by my cable company without a cable card for the HVR1600.
I know the DCR2650 currently doesn't support WinTV Extend nor even WinTV at all. My question is, is there a way around this to use WinTV Extend with DCR2650 to stream live TV to my tablet? some hack/mod of sort? Or any other option to accomplish my intend purpose?
thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page