HDMI TV Resolution problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I just got myself a new laptop and it's native resolution is 1366x768. When I connect it to my LCD TV (Panasonic TC-32LX50) with HDMI the highest resolution I can get is 1280x720. This means that the side of the screen is cutoff. I tried using powerstrip, but it doesn't seem to work.

The strange thing is, my previous laptop which I was using before had a native resolution of 1600x900. When I connected it to the same TV with HDMI, the TV had a resolution of 1366x768, but it didn't cut off parts of the screen.

Any way to fix this? I've been trying out a lot of things, but none of them seem to work which is driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM

I am having the same problem, just different numbers on the resolutions, but it is cutting off. I tried Ubuntu 11.04 and now I'm on Windows 7. I'll be going at this all day today, so I'll let you know of any progress. What OS are you using?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using windows 7. I have Intel HD Graphics, so I tried using Intel Graphics control center to use a custom resolution. It works, but it looks absolutely horrible because it's only displaying at 30hz. Anything higher than 720 resolution is at 30hz, so the screen looks blurry and just plain messy. Funny thing is, my TVs maximum resolution is 1366x768 and it worked with my big laptop, but with my newer small laptop, 1366x768 resolution option is gone.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buu2hungry View Post

Okay, I just got myself a new laptop and it's native resolution is 1366x768. When I connect it to my LCD TV (Panasonic TC-32LX50) with HDMI the highest resolution I can get is 1280x720. This means that the side of the screen is cutoff. I tried using powerstrip, but it doesn't seem to work.

The strange thing is, my previous laptop which I was using before had a native resolution of 1600x900. When I connected it to the same TV with HDMI, the TV had a resolution of 1366x768, but it didn't cut off parts of the screen.

Any way to fix this? I've been trying out a lot of things, but none of them seem to work which is driving me crazy.

what are you using ATI, Nvidia, Intel or???
post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

what are you using ATI, Nvidia, Intel or???

Intel. My last laptop used ATI.

I've heard that using different chips have different effect on TV. Maybe that's why right now the screen is displaying with the cuts? I mentioned this on my first post, it doesn't just cut the side, but the top and bottom as well.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm using Intel as well. I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 for my AV receiver. When I remove the receiver from the loop and hook the PC directly to the TV via HDMI (I'm using HDMI through the Pioneer as well when going that route) the video displays fine. So I know it's a problem with the receiver, or what the HDMI from the HTPC is telling the receiver. The receiver has a parameter "V Conv" for "Video Conversion". I have it set to off, because when I turn it on the screen just freezes with snow and green lines. I'm thinking that I do need to have the Pioneer Receiver do the Video Conversion (This is what it does on my xbox) so I'm searching for a way to turn off any pre-conversion that the HTPC is doing. This is just a theory, but theories are all I have right now. I'll keep let you know if I find a fix.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Any luck anyone? I using a workaround right now. When I connect the HTPC directly to the TV HDMI input, the resolution is fine, so I did that, then used the optical output on the TV to send the audio from the TV to the AV receiver unit (Pioneer VSX-1120), then in the receiver I set the audio input to one of the fiber optic inputs. I was worried about having to calibrate for a delay because of all the extra decoding/encoding, but I just watched a movie and there was no delay.

Still, workarounds are NOT solutions.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I was hoping for an answer too. I know I'm not the only one who has this problem because I searched the web and there are tons of people with the same problem. It would be nice if anyone figured out a way.

The best solution for now that I can think of is getting a VGA to connect to my laptop since there is no resolution restriction for it, but the down in quality is what is stopping me from changing it from HDMI.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I solved my problem. If you have intel, you should have Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. You can find it in Control Panel.

What I did was instead of adding a new custom resolution that reduces the refresh rate to 30hz, I just changed the aspect ratio of my current TV resolution in the general setting. The aspect ratio only comes out in the general setting option when you connect your computer to the TV. Normally the aspect ratio is 100 for both horizontal and vertical. I tried reducing both to exactly 50 and now my screen fits perfectly. It also saves the setting so whenever I connect to my TV through HDMI everything fits perfectly with no parts of the screen cut. I just tried checking with my computer monitor and all the videos that I played have no parts cut off when played on TV.

Even though it's 1280x720, it fits exactly like my monitor and the refresh rate is also 60hz so everything is crystal clear.

Hope this helps.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page