Capture from TiVo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking to build a setup that can capture and archive a stream from my TiVo (DirecTiVo to be precise). Eventually, I'd like to do some minor editing and archive using SVCD.

Is anyone doing this and what card & software are you using? Recommendations are welcome and are especially helpful if you can include part numbers and/or price estimates.

I've seen recommendations for I/O magic cards - where can I buy my searches turn up what appear to be other brands (under license perhaps?).

I might to a bit of TV out to my 27" Toshiba but that is a totally different animal I plan to work out later - I'm inclined not to go with an ATI AIW variant based on my readings here.

TIA

-- Signatures, we don't need no stink'n signatures --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 02:12 PM

HotDogg,
I use the IO magic PVR card to capture the analog output of my direct tivo. The card cost me $40 from Compusa. I use the included software to record to VCD and then use Nero to burn a Video CD. I can get a 1 hour recording on cd this way, and be able to play it back on my DVD player.
You could also use any analog capture card to do this. Just use the Tivo's save to VCR function when you record it.

Steve
post #3 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

I've also heard rumors that the Tivo's original MPEG files can be networked to the HTPC. I don't have a Tivo so I haven't followed up.

There's a whole forum dedicated to Tivo. I suggest you also search over there.

-yogaman
post #4 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

yogaman,

Yeah, I've seen some info on work being done to network out TiVo recordings for purposes similar to mine. Unfortunately, this type of modification seems in the early stages and is a bit "bleeding edge" for me. Users of ReplayTV have the advantage here since that functionality is bettern implemented in their systems.

-- Signatures, we don't need no stink'n signatures --
post #5 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

StephenH:
Can you elaborate on how you use the "record to VCR" feature of DirecTiVo to record onto your HTPC? I have a Cybermail capture card that I use to route analog video from my DirecTiVo box through DScaler and on to my plasma, but I'd love to be able to archive shows to a disk playable on my friends' DVD players.

I assume you'd need software capable of recording the analog video stream in digital format (MPEG2) onto the hard drive, and then another piece of authoring software to burn a VCD. What software are you using for these purposes? And is the resulting disk playable in a stand-alone DVD player?

Thanks,
Ken
post #6 of 11 Old 04-22-2002, 03:57 PM

K-Wood:

You need a software capture program (IE) Power Vcr II, Virtual Dub, or any other you prefer. I use Power VCR II and capture right to VCD format. You could also capture to Avi, and then convert to VCD standard with software like AVI2VCD.

Most burning software will burn VCD format. I have used Nero 5.5 and also Easy CD creator. Most all standalone DVD players will play VCD format. Not all players will play SVCD format. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this. I use a Apex 1500 DVD player.

Check out this site for more info on CD formats and editing or converting http://www.doom9.org/

Ps. Almost forgot, On the tivo, pick a recorded show, select it, then select save to vcr. Then select start saving from beginning. Then start the PC recording software. This give you a nice tittle for your program, and also keeps the green search bar from popping up.

Steve
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2002, 01:45 AM

i am new to all of this, so bear with me. i am very familiar with PC's, but am exploring the video capture thing. i have an ultimate TV receiver, and would like to capture from here. i don't have it up yet, so my questions are more basic.

I am not putting the UTV and HTPC on an HDTV display, just one in my room. so dScaler and other things are not needed. all i want to do is record from my UTV to my computer, and also sometimes play dvds. my question is, will a cheap radeon with TV out and a cheap video capture card achieve what i want? that IO magic sounds cool. again, no HDTV, just some random dvd playing, and capture from the dvd.

now, what sound card do you guys recommend when capturing video? i have never done this, and want a good card to record sound as well.

lastly, i want to burn to DVD format, not just VCD. any ideas on this? it seems as if the VCD format looks to be easier though.

i am still reading up on this, but any answers to those questions would be greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 01:40 AM

anyone? i keep reading, but still cannot find a decent right on answer.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

JDang, I use a Radeon DDR VIVO and sblive to capture tivo streams. Works great. There are a variety of capture programs out there. Lately, I have been using showshifter and MS's moviemaker and capture in MS's video and audio codecs which provide great compression for VCR quality stuff. I have a large RAID so I don't bother burning to CDs or DVDs. I just want a large archive available without any more discs!

Mike

Mike
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2002, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjcumming
JDang, I use a Radeon DDR VIVO and sblive to capture tivo streams. Works great. There are a variety of capture programs out there. Lately, I have been using showshifter and MS's moviemaker and capture in MS's video and audio codecs which provide great compression for VCR quality stuff. I have a large RAID so I don't bother burning to CDs or DVDs. I just want a large archive available without any more discs!

Mike

thanks. i think i get it more accurately now. i am not using it for an HDTV set, just regular analog TV. more of an experiment than anything, so quality isn't THAT big of deal. i was thinking of a cheap vidcard with TV out, and an I/O magic, which comes with i think PowerVCR or something. will this work adequately for now? i do eventually want to burn to DVD.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2002, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdang
lastly, i want to burn to DVD format, not just VCD. any ideas on this? it seems as if the VCD format looks to be easier though.
You might want to checkout this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=134256

John S
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page