Intel Integrated HD Graphics Black Level Setting - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 98 Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having the same problems. I can't get full shades of black/white to display. Everything is clipping off during calibration of brightness/contrast on the test patterns.

I thought my old TV was a pos, after my new UN55D8000 is having the same problem I looked into my HTPC's video settings. I guess I'm going have to buy a GT 520 now :[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I'm having the same problems. I can't get full shades of black/white to display. Everything is clipping off during calibration of brightness/contrast on the test patterns.

I thought my old TV was a pos, after my new UN55D8000 is having the same problem I looked into my HTPC's video settings. I guess I'm going have to buy a GT 520 now :[

do you have the input port in pc mode?
post #33 of 98 Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

do you have the input port in pc mode?

I'm not too sure what you mean by PC mode. I just got the TV yesterday and still trying to figure out what all the settings are. It's directly connected to my HTPC using HDMI port 2. I can't see blacker then blacks using AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray test disc not matter if I crank brightness up all the way. It doesnt even seem to reach reference black (#16) - info disappears at #18. The higher I crank the brightness the grayer it all gets w/ no additional info visable below #18. The same happened with the same HTPC using my prior sharp LCD tv, so it has to be something related to the HTPC and the intel graphics.

edit: yep, it was from the intel GPU. I hooked up my Alienware M17xR3 w/ AMD HD 6990 and it was able to display all the black levels below reference black. So I adjusted everything with that setup.
post #34 of 98 Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Liked: 16
Does the Intel driver provide anything like Nvidia's "Content type reported to the display" option? This is a switch that controls whether the card treats the TV as a PC monitor or HDTV, and it is necessary to set it to "Full screen videos" for a lot of TVs out there, else you get PC timings and various anomalies, such as messed up black levels and disabling of TV settings, which is what happens on my Sony W4100.
post #35 of 98 Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 AM

Liked: 10
Similar issues for me and my new i3 2100T HTPC, using the 8.15.10.2622 driver. Default 1080 resolution pushes the about 80pixels off the side of my Sony TV in each direction. Setting Quantization to 'Full' seems to fix this, for whatever reason, but the setting doesn't stick...

Grr.
post #36 of 98 Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rmula View Post

Similar issues for me and my new i3 2100T HTPC, using the 8.15.10.2622 driver. Default 1080 resolution pushes the about 80pixels off the side of my Sony TV in each direction. Setting Quantization to 'Full' seems to fix this, for whatever reason, but the setting doesn't stick...

Grr.

Have you tried the 8.15.10.2509 drivers? I had problems with the newer ones, but when I reverted to that one, its ok.
post #37 of 98 Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just found this thread, however I recently posted a question in another thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1412179

I was trying to get B-T-B to display just to make sure my new HTPC was performing right & to see how it compared with my other video sources. But nothing I tried made any difference. Tomorrow I'll have to try the custom settings as suggested here.

Originally I was curious why the HTPC did not display B-T-B. After reading this thread I'm now curious why would you want to display B-T-B when video uses 16-235 colors?
post #38 of 98 Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to stir this topic up again, as I have just completed an i3-2100 build (HD 2000) and trying to calibrate it on my JVC RS-55.

Driver versions are up to 15.xx and this problem seems to persist. In fact, even with "Quantization" set to "Full", my HTPC appears to not pass below black (BTB) information.

As a matter of fact, with the current set of drivers, my Intel Graphics Control Panel doesn't even have the "override application settings" checkbox as pictured in AFryia's post above.

My projector is set to "HDMI Enhanced", I have the brightness turned up (so it would reveal the Blacker Than Black information if present), and have tried increasing the brightness in the Intel Graphics Control Panel - but alas, no BTB bar shows up regardless of the Quantization setting. Does anyone have any hints for me with the latest drivers (or possibly have a link to download an earlier set of drivers that can be "forced" into displaying BTB as detailed in this thread)?

Thanks,
Paul
post #39 of 98 Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarmouche View Post

I'm going to stir this topic up again, as I have just completed an i3-2100 build (HD 2000) and trying to calibrate it on my JVC RS-55.
Driver versions are up to 15.xx and this problem seems to persist. In fact, even with "Quantization" set to "Full", my HTPC appears to not pass below black (BTB) information.
As a matter of fact, with the current set of drivers, my Intel Graphics Control Panel doesn't even have the "override application settings" checkbox as pictured in AFryia's post above.
My projector is set to "HDMI Enhanced", I have the brightness turned up (so it would reveal the Blacker Than Black information if present), and have tried increasing the brightness in the Intel Graphics Control Panel - but alas, no BTB bar shows up regardless of the Quantization setting. Does anyone have any hints for me with the latest drivers (or possibly have a link to download an earlier set of drivers that can be "forced" into displaying BTB as detailed in this thread)?
Thanks,
Paul
Could be something to do with the YCBCR check box setting under one of the configuration tabs. My understanding (and I'm quite possibly wrong) is that on one setting it will set the RGB output levels for a PC (0-255) and on another TV (16-235). If it's outputting for PC then it won't show blacker than black since black is 0 and can't go any lower. If it is outputting on TV then black is 16 and blacker than black is 0-15. Try change this check box and see if it makes a difference.

post #40 of 98 Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 14
I think full quantization will require monitors that is capable of more than 24bit. First step is to load the monitor driver so the HD GPU can recognize what the monitor is capable of. MS PnP driver probably will not supply enough info. Most of our monitors will not support full quantization.

Here is an article that talks about the dynamic range of images.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/high-dynamic-range-environment-mapping-on-mainstream-graphics-hardware/?wapkw=monitor+quantization

Most monitors use TN mode LCD which is normally white (off). IPS LCD/Monitors are normally black (off) and they have much better black and higher contrast ratio.
post #41 of 98 Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Sorry about bumping this thread, but it seemed a better option than starting a new one on the same topic. So, as it's become apparent in the last few months that I need to reload 7MC on my media center, I've decided to do a hardware refresh as well. Moving from a Llano to an SB 2100 platform based on all the glowing reviews I've seen regarding how well the current low-end Intel stuff works for HTPC use. Suppose I should've done further research prior to ordering the parts, as I assumed that since ATI/Nvidia have been fixing (then often reintroducing) color space bugs for years, that this couldn't possibly still be an unresolved issue on the Intel platform. And then I see threads like this one. Seems like it would be a fairly big show-stopper for HTPC usage.

Can anyone pass along any updates on this - Is it still an ongoing issue with no solution on the HDx000 integrated GPUs? Any workarounds?
post #42 of 98 Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divide_by_zero View Post

Seems like it would be a fairly big show-stopper for HTPC usage.

What exactly are you saying is a "show-stopper"?
post #43 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Well, I expect most people find it quite annoying to experience a bug that causes video settings to not persist on reboot and requires fiddling with in their GPU settings app to bring back proper color space and calibration. Certainly not something that leads to a high WAF.

Perhaps calling it a "show-stopper" overstates it, but I'm really not intending to quibble about adjectives used to describe the severity of the bug - I'm really much more interested in whether or not it's been resolved, or if any of my fine fellow htpc nerds have found a suitable workaround.
post #44 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I expect most people find it quite annoying to experience a bug that causes video settings to not persist on reboot and requires fiddling with in their GPU settings app to bring back proper color space and calibration. Certainly not something that leads to a high WAF.

You didn't answer the question.
post #45 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I did indeed answer it, though apparently not to your satisfaction. It seems you'd rather start a semantics argument than be of any help whatsoever, so I'm going to ignore the trolling and hope that someone else chimes in.
post #46 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I solved it by adding a fanless Nvidia GT 430. I figured I was spending so much time fiddling with it, and since time=money, I was just wasting money. It also solved a problem I was having with not getting Cox's mpeg4 channels. It seems like both would be a simple fix, I'm disappointed that Intel couldn't fix it.
post #47 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info Jack. Bummer that Intel haven't addressed it yet.
post #48 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Certainly not something that leads to a high WAF.

Your wife rejects a system that is set to 16-235 rather than 0-255?
post #49 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Quote:

Certainly not something that leads to a high WAF.

Your wife rejects a system that is set to 16-235 rather than 0-255?

Apparently not, since he claims he answered my question but said nothing about that, which is the main part of the bug that I am aware of (and what the subject of the thread seems to be about). I thought the same as you, which is why I asked him for clarification. I still don't know what he is worried about.
post #50 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I did indeed answer it,

Indeed you did not answer it.

An answer would look like:

The problem is that when you try to do _________ instead of what should happen ________________ , what actually happens is ________________.
post #51 of 98 Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the info Jack. Bummer that Intel haven't addressed it yet.

Wish it was info that didn't involve spending 80 bucks but I was so sick of dealing with it. My guests probably would never notice the difference but it was driving me crazy.
post #52 of 98 Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Liked: 13
Anybody else notice the quantization setting has been removed in the new Intel drivers? I would assume they defaulted the setting to limited until they get it fixed?
post #53 of 98 Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 AM

I can't get HD (DTS-HD and TrueHD) bitstream with custom resolution 1080p. Add custom resolution and get full range RGB but lost HD bitstream, delete custom resolution, reboot and get HD bitstream but lost full range RGB. W.T.F.?
Intel SandyBridge I5 2300, Win7 x64, tested all Video and MEI drivers - result the same. Can someone help me ?
post #54 of 98 Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 933
I am not sure what your trying to do... Your talking you want full 0-255 scale output and some reason can not send out bitstream audio ?

Can you be more specific.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #55 of 98 Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM

I'm talk about that look like Intel Management Engine (Intel ME) do not like custom resolutions and "switch off" PAP (or HDCP support) and as the result TrueHD & DTS-MA is not available any more.
I install MEI and display driver and get RGB limited and HD bitstream, than I add custom resolution 1080p60 and get Full RGB and NO HD bitsream, than I delete custom resolution and ... here we go again.
A lot of people here talk about trick to get full RGB output from Sandy Bridge and no one do not pay attention to this "side effect". Thanx.
post #56 of 98 Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Video card for the win ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #57 of 98 Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Useful.
post #58 of 98 Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK I need some help with my black levels now.

You can see I don't have a true black. It's not as black as the the real black. I have played with 0-255 and 16-235 setting in MPC-HC and no luck. I have triple checked my Intel graphics properties that I am running full range. I am at a loss. Is there a Hawell bug I don't know about ???

This is my desktop and not my HTPC so I am not super worried about it- I rarely watch movies. it's just the point it bothers me and I must defeat it.

Here is the details:

4770k i7 (no video card) I am running Asrock extreme4 with dual monitors. One HDMI and one DVI. Problem seems to exists on both monitors. Both monitors are samsung PC monitors that do full range.

I set up my MPC-HC the way outlined in the first post- and it's not the first time I have configured it. I am actually running SVP along side with Madvr. I turned it on and off and it does not matter.

Suggestions ?

You can see above that the black on the left or bottom are blacker than the black bars of the movie.

This is my settings for Intel graphics:

I have changed the IT mode and the colorspace settings both ways- no luck. I am not sure why my 23" Samsung monitor displays as a digital TV ???? It's clearly a 23" Samsung PC monitor, 1080x1920.

Anyone have ideas?

I tried VLC side by side to compare and it appears to have a darker black too. So now... I am wondering if it's a MADVR or MPCHC setting or it its Intel and graphics properties related.

I have no issue on my HTPC or my old desktop so... It's either Haswell related or I messed something up. Time to go trolling my settings.

-

post #59 of 98 Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Video card for the win ?

Lol. Take my advice from the past I guess.

-

post #60 of 98 Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrebleu View Post

i think i found a workaround. it worked for me, at least.

system specs: celeron g540, msi h67 mb, asus ml239h monitor (native resolution 1920x1080), latest intel hd graphics drivers (build 2509).

my motherboard has vga and dvi-i outputs, and my monitor has vga and hdmi inputs. i'm using the dvi to hdmi cable the monitor came with.

the problem: the graphics driver detects the monitor as a 'digital television', and sets the quantization range to 'limited', resulting in blacks that are dark grey and whites that are light grey. changing the option in the pulldown doesn't have any effect.

playing around with the resolutions a bit, i noticed that the limited range only occurred at certain resolutions. if you set the windows background color to black and scaling to 'center', you can immediately see which resolutions have this problem when you switch to them (the border would be the monitor/tv's true black and the windows desktop would be a lighter shade).

the solution that worked for me was to create custom resolutions to override the ones which have the problem.

i only use my monitor at 1920x1080, but this happened to be one of the problematic resolutions, so i created custom resolutions of 1920x1080, all color depths, and at both 59hz and 60hz (both of these appeared as acceptable refresh rates for my monitor, although windows defaulted to 59hz. i really didn't need to create the 60hz custom resolution). this resulted in a total of 6 custom resolutions. it warned that this custom resolution already exists (it didn't, but what it probably meant was that the new custom resolution would override a standard resolution), but i said yes to overwrite.

after rebooting, blacks were black and whites were white. confirmed this with calibration - before the custom resolution, the monitor calibrated to 120 cd/m2 luminance and a .5 black point. afterwards, it calibrated to 140 cd/m2 luminance and a .2 black point with the monitor settings untouched.

the quantization range now shows 'default' instead of 'limited'. however, changing it still has no effect, so if you need to change the range on a regular basis, this fix won't really do much.

hope this helps.

Fingers crossed for this....

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver
Gear in this thread - Sr805 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page