post #91 of 98 Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_misfit View Post

It seems that I don't have this problem, but if I'm missing out on some quality, I would really like to fix it.

I have a first generation HD Graphics (Core i3 530), and I have two settings for RGB in the Intel driver: Limited, Full. Even if I change it to full, setting reverts to limited before a reboot, and no visible change is made when changing settings.
That's already explained in OP (post#1).
Quote:
Is the problem mentioned in the thread related to crushing of BTB and WTW (i.e.: 0-15 all look the same) or conversion from 0-255 to 16-235 (introducing banding)?
No, lost of contrast the what the problem here if your situation apply, e.g. you have a PC monitor that only supports 0-255 Full. Or if you connected to a HDTV and configure it to use full-range. Because 0 now get mapping to 16 by Intel driver and 255 mapped to 235.
Quote:
Is displaying levels 0 - 15 as distinct shades in lagom test sufficient evidence of full RGB output through HDMI?
No. See above.
Quote:
Wouldn't using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter work as a makeshift solution for those that don't need audio? (that is, intel:dvi - > tv, monitor:hdmi?

No, it depends on the TV/Monitor side EDID information only.

If you connected to a HDTV, there is nothing you need to worry about. All HDTV defaults to limited range unless you changed it. So, if you connected to a HDTV and it has options to switch between full range and limited range, try change the settings on the TV side, and you will see the visual difference. Nothing you do (other than the registry hack mentioned before) on the PC side will affect the output.
the_misfit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hay guys i have solve intel graphic fade problem with new driver 15.33.8.64.3345. 

post #93 of 98 Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif View Post

Hay guys i have solve intel graphic fade problem with new driver 15.33.8.64.3345. 

NASIF! You are the bringer of good news, but don't leave us hanging! Please explain! I went to the download page for intel (link below) and looked at the release notes in the PDF. It didn't say anything about a change to help with this issue. Please tell us what you saw and how you know that it was fixed with the most recent release.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23405

Anyone else with an Intel iGPU machine please test it and let us know! I am about to click the buy button on a new HTPC! Thank you muchly!
post #94 of 98 Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM

To anyone else who might have missed it, an alternate solution is to do what SweetLow describes in post 46 of this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477460/theory-about-intels-hdmi-quantization-range-setting-full-0-255/30
It's a registry hack to force full RGB output. I haven't tried it but others in that thread confirmed it worked for them. One guy says it wasn't working but then said he was doing it wrong.
post #95 of 98 Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150604

$139 and a superior way to fix the intel igpu biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 98 Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM

I'll feed the troll: I can't see how that solution is superior to a free solution.
jim2100 likes this.
post #97 of 98 Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrier View Post

I'll feed the troll: I can't see how that solution is superior to a free solution.

I was being somewhat sarcastic.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #98 of 98 Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I'm having a related problem but I'm not sure if it's expected behaviour due to something I'm not grasping.

In this thread Foxbat121 says if you connect your (Intel graphic based) HTPC via HDMI to a commercial video device (TV or in my case PJ) then you shouldn't have a problem with the default Intel behaviour of forced 16-235 range.

But that hasn't been my experience...

I have calibrated my PJ (Epson 5020/TW9100) from my blu-ray player (Panny BD-500) using AVS's great HD test patterns.

The colour space between my blu-ray player and PJ is the expected commercial 16-235 range.

But on my Intel graphic's based (Haswell) HTPC, without the registry hack to force full 0-255 output, I can't get VLC or MPC-HC players to show me any of the black levels in the AVS black level test pattern.

Nor can I ever make the white level test pattern go down to the reference white 235 range.

I.E. Highest brightness on the PJ does not show any flashing black bars and changing the contrast across its entire range doesn't stop 'grey' flashing bars across the whole of the white pattern.

I'm tech savvy and have made sure the quantisation range is set in the drivers to limited to match the 16-235 video range I'm assuming is in most H264 MKVs I play. (I'm talking about the typical TV and film source material.)

It feels like a double compression is happening somewhere in the chain so stuff already at 16-235 is being compressed again as if it were 0-255 (meaning the final output is something more like 32-215).

Using the registry hack to force 0-255 output over HDMI I can get MPC-HC (and Windoze media player) to show me the test patterns properly (after setting MPC's renderer to output 0-255 and changing the Intel driver to Full) BUT to calibrate my PJ using that chain I end up having to set brightness to -10 and contrast almost to full. (Note that's with the PJ set to full 0-255 range to match the HTPC output.)

That is obviously not a correct state and is nothing like the settings I had to make when calibrating via the blu-ray player (which was almost perfect at default brightness and contrast).

Also VLC player never shows the test patterns properly whatever I do, registry hack to get 0-255 HDMI output, default 0-235 HDMI output, driver at Limited or Full (in any combo).

So I'd be happy with the default 16-235 HDMI output range (with crushed range on PC graphics/desktop etc.) IF I could get any video players to also play the 16-235 range in the source files straight through, without expansion/compression.

If video should have proper black and white levels when using the default Intel forced HDMI output of 16-235 range (as Foxbat121 implies), what could be wrong in my standard setup leading to me never seeing reference black or reference white in that config, with any software player? (With any Intel driver setting!)  :(

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver
Gear in this thread - Sr805 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page