JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 1235 Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

BTW, what is the recommended audio card to use with JRMC...the best bang for the buck in terms of DAC quality and compatibility with JRMC? I know it probably doesn't matter much when bitstreaming, but I think I would like to try letting JRMC decode everything once I have a card with good enough DACs.

Hi Bob
If you're bitstreaming HD audio, I assume you have an audio solution (e.g. video card, onboard graphics, that can send LPCM to a receiver. So you can do a hybrid solution, where JRMC decodes, sends the audio to the receiver as LPCM (still digital), and then the receiver uses its DACs to send the audio to the amp section and speakers.
Generally speaking the Auzentech and Asus sound cards are very good, but some consider a PC to be just too electronically noisy to make it worth using it as the DAC component.


Quote:


You know, at some point someone should put together a recommended list of parts, a system that will work to provide the best audio and video quality for the least amount of bucks....a lazy man's guide to a maximum performing HTPC...

I assume you're joking? Or are the stickied HTPC guides not adequate for a maximum performing HTPC?


Quote:


The one last hurdle I need to overcome is to get JRMC16 to play back film material at 24 fps and video at 60 fps automatically...that is, simply follow the source frame rate. I'm sure it is in there somewhere, but I haven't had the time to look around yet.


Options>Video>Display Settings:

1) Check Enable Automatic Display Settings Changing
2) Fill in all the relevant data in the fields below, i.e. which refresh rate you want for each of the fps settings.
3) Close options
4) In Standard View, right click on any column heading and add the FPS field.
5) Ensure that the fps field in your videos is populated. You can do this with Library Tools>Update library from Tags.

6) Play videos. If using a projector, you may get audio a couple of seconds before the video shows if it is detecting a change in refresh rate. The two will be in sync when the picture appears, though.

You may want to do the last bit overnight if you have hundreds/thousands of video files.
fitbrit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Member
 
Redmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really like the audio features of JRiver. It's the only decent media center that supports WASAPI and lossless FLAC, WMA etc. which is essential for audiophiles. The showroom animation and other 3D visualisations are also extremely cool.

Where JRiver falls flat on its face is it's intuitiveness. Basically, it's designed by nerds, for nerds - just like XBMC, MythTV etc. My wife wouldn't have a prayer trying to use JRiver yet she can use Win7 MC without any problems.

For example, I have all of my videos nicely organised into folders and programs like MyMovies, Media Browser and even Win7MCE itself display the files nicely in a way that makes sense. JRiver makes an absolute dog's breakfast of my video library unless you're prepared to spend days (more likely months) coming up with some sort of tagging scheme.

It also shows FAR too many options out of the box. Complex behavior should be hidden from the average user unless they go digging for it. JRiver is trying to be everything to everyone and ends up just causing frustration.

Then there's the TV tuner section...let's just say it's an epic fail.

Bottom line is that most people want a media center for the living room - not for a teenager's bedroom. The makers need to take a long hard look at Win7 media center and try to grasp the concept of clean, elegant UI design.
Redmist is offline  
post #303 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
balky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

I really like the audio features of JRiver. It's the only decent media center that supports WASAPI and lossless FLAC, WMA etc. which is essential for audiophiles. The showroom animation and other 3D visualisations are also extremely cool.

Where JRiver falls flat on its face is it's intuitiveness. Basically, it's designed by nerds, for nerds - just like XBMC, MythTV etc. My wife wouldn't have a prayer trying to use JRiver yet she can use Win7 MC without any problems.

For example, I have all of my videos nicely organised into folders and programs like MyMovies, Media Browser and even Win7MCE itself display the files nicely in a way that makes sense. JRiver makes an absolute dog's breakfast of my video library unless you're prepared to spend days (more likely months) coming up with some sort of tagging scheme.

It also shows FAR too many options out of the box. Complex behavior should be hidden from the average user unless they go digging for it. JRiver is trying to be everything to everyone and ends up just causing frustration.

Then there's the TV tuner section...let's just say it's an epic fail.

Bottom line is that most people want a media center for the living room - not for a teenager's bedroom. The makers need to take a long hard look at Win7 media center and try to grasp the concept of clean, elegant UI design.

I guess this message has been conveyed quite a couple of times in somewhat different manners...

I only hope this is being taken into consideration regarding future releases of the program...
balky is offline  
post #304 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
CountryBumkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

Basically, it's designed by nerds, for nerds - just like XBMC, MythTV etc. My wife wouldn't have a prayer trying to use JRiver yet she can use Win7 MC without any problems.

You (the nerd) set up the program so your wife only needs to see Theater View. If everything is done properly on the backend, anyone (my wife included) can use the program just as easily as WMC.

Quote:


For example, I have all of my videos nicely organised into folders and programs like MyMovies, Media Browser and even Win7MCE itself display the files nicely in a way that makes sense. JRiver makes an absolute dog's breakfast of my video library unless you're prepared to spend days (more likely months) coming up with some sort of tagging scheme.

It takes a little time to tag the files properly. Depending on how big your collection is it could take a few days, weeks, or months. If you started with MC (back when you started your collection it would have been easy - add a few movies adjust their tags - done). There are some tricks to make tagging easier - such as holding CNTRL key to select muliple files, then F2 (select value), and ENTER to fill all selected cells. There are a lot of tricks/tips but you have to read the JRiver threads to find them. The "fill properties from file name" works well if you use a proper files name (say for TV Shows you use "Series.season.episode.name.mkv"). Better instructions on the Wiki would help.

Quote:


Bottom line is that most people want a media center for the living room - not for a teenager's bedroom. The makers need to take a long hard look at Win7 media center and try to grasp the concept of clean, elegant UI design.

I think the UI (not the setup) is nicer than 7MC. It has more customization which means you can add or remove categories (movies, music, podcasts, etc.) you don't want.

Yes, its complicated, but that's why the program is so flexible.

Last point - we're in agreement that the TV tuner stuff needs work. It does provide the basics (you can setup a tuner and watch/record shows) but it needs some TLC.
CountryBumkin is offline  
post #305 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Member
 
Sandy B Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

Then there's the TV tuner section...let's just say it's an epic fail.

I think calling this an epic fail is a bit strong. It sort of works as advertised. I can set it to record series of TV shows in a really flexible way. It takes a bit of setting up to do with the XML epg, but once it's done it runs once a day in the background as advertised. It is however quite limited in today's age. No support for DVB-T2, DVB-S and DVB-S2 is really limiting for the European Market. Also a friendly grid style EPG is missing. It does tagging really well if the info is in the EPG, but lack of scraping for TV shows from 'other sources' is limiting.

I've just pulled the trigger on a T2 S2 card, so I'm going to have to look into something else like MediaPortal or DVBViewer to make this work. If jRiver wants me to test any beta TV engines with this, I'm happy to do that.

I think this situation reflects the fact that serious work on the TV engine hasn't happened for a few years (about version 12 or 13) when looking back on the changelogs. So it's probably due for an overhaul. The video playing engine has come on in massive strides in the last few months. The need for a PhD in DirectShow filters just to get anything playing is not a requirement anymore since Red October does all the settings for you. I hope the next focus for the company is TV (both in hardware support and metadata).

This has been iterated so much lately that they must be listening! Jim?

SBR
Sandy B Ridge is offline  
post #306 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Member
 
Sandy B Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

You (the nerd) set up the program so your wife only needs to see Theater View. If everything is done properly on the backend, anyone (my wife included) can use the program just as easily as WMC.

Completely agree. My other half is a technophobe - even refuses a smartphone as too complicated!

TheaterView and a Harmony Remote and she browses media like a pro! Very happy camper.

SBR
Sandy B Ridge is offline  
post #307 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Redmist,
Sorry it didn't work for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
jriver is offline  
post #308 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
balky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

You (the nerd) set up the program so your wife only needs to see Theater View. If everything is done properly on the backend, anyone (my wife included) can use the program just as easily as WMC.



It takes a little time to tag the files properly. Depending on how big your collection is it could take a few days, weeks, or months. If you started with MC (back when you started your collection it would have been easy - add a few movies adjust their tags - done). There are some tricks to make tagging easier - such as holding CNTRL key to select muliple files, then F2 (select value), and ENTER to fill all selected cells. There are a lot of tricks/tips but you have to read the JRiver threads to find them. The "fill properties from file name" works well if you use a proper files name (say for TV Shows you use "Series.season.episode.name.mkv"). Better instructions on the Wiki would help.



I think the UI (not the setup) is nicer than 7MC. It has more customization which means you can add or remove categories (movies, music, podcasts, etc.) you don't want.

Yes, its complicated, but that's why the program is so flexible.

I was once told as well that I needed a program that could read my mind so it automatically adjusts itself to what I am used to... :-)

In a normal situation, that was an instant loss of $50 (+ future upgrades) revenue, even if it is a negligible amount, but it will quickly add up if people who show interest in the application, but with some concerns are being addressed this way...

I don't think it should be difficult to understand how hard it is to leave a simple, known and working setup for an adventurous setup that will work in the end but after some rough ride... if you see what I mean...

I have a movie collection of +/- 650 titles (mostly in MKV, ISO's and DVD format, with metadata...etc...), a little over 10Gigs of photos and more than 30Gigs of music (also with metadata fanart...etc...) ... where and how do I start with tagging et al...
What about 3D BR?

I have everything working well using 7MC + mediabrowser with all media stored on a NAS...

The farthest I'm willing to go at the moment is to have media browser launch JR for music if possible... I am currently testing the audio part and it seems to work quite well on its own, it remains to see if it will work ok with mediabrowser...

For the rest, I'll keep lurking on here and wait until the frontend setup is as easy as the installation...

Look at the bright side... at least I won't be giving up quickly...
balky is offline  
post #309 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You can use MC's Library Tool called "Fill properties from filename" to fill tags from filenames and directories. It might help you transition.

Thanks fitbrit for the correction.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
jriver is offline  
post #310 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

You can use MC's Library Tool called "Rename, Move & Copy" to fill tags from filenames and directories. It might help you transition.

Jim means "fill properties from filename".
fitbrit is offline  
post #311 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Member
 
Sandy B Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Jim means "fill properties from filename".

I guess it's still early in Minneapolis. More coffee Jim?

SBR
Sandy B Ridge is offline  
post #312 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Never enough coffee.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
jriver is offline  
post #313 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,460
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:


If you're bitstreaming HD audio, I assume you have an audio solution (e.g. video card, onboard graphics, that can send LPCM to a receiver. So you can do a hybrid solution, where JRMC decodes, sends the audio to the receiver as LPCM (still digital), and then the receiver uses its DACs to send the audio to the amp section and speakers.
Generally speaking the Auzentech and Asus sound cards are very good, but some consider a PC to be just too electronically noisy to make it worth using it as the DAC component.

Yeah, the more that I thought about it after posting, the more I decided that it would probably be best to let my pre/pro do the D/A conversion. But what I do question at this point is where should I have the decoding done, within JRMC16 or in my pre/pro? Or does it even make a difference?
Quote:


I assume you're joking? Or are the stickied HTPC guides not adequate for a maximum performing HTPC?

Heheh...I was half joking....of course I am aware of all the stickys...I stickied them... But I was referring specifically to a machine using JRMC16 exclusively. I know that a lot of the same filters can and are being used in other guides and HTPC setups, but not all hardware will respond in a predictable manner when combined with different other hardware and with JRMC16 within a given system. I am advocating a "just buy these components and you will be very happy with JRMC16" kind of approach. For example, my Sandy Bridge i3 2100 w/Asus GTX 550 Ti combo is working without a hiccup...or at least so far. If I had bought a Radeon HD card instead I would not be reaping the benefits of hardware acceleration using MadVR and LAV CUVID. And my particular combination is also running WASAPI exclusive mode without a hitch, something I could NEVER get straightened out on my last HTPC.
Quote:


Options>Video>Display Settings:

1) Check Enable Automatic Display Settings Changing
2) Fill in all the relevant data in the fields below, i.e. which refresh rate you want for each of the fps settings.
3) Close options
4) In Standard View, right click on any column heading and add the FPS field.
5) Ensure that the fps field in your videos is populated. You can do this with Library Tools>Update library from Tags.

6) Play videos. If using a projector, you may get audio a couple of seconds before the video shows if it is detecting a change in refresh rate. The two will be in sync when the picture appears, though.

You may want to do the last bit overnight if you have hundreds/thousands of video files.

Thanks! I don't think I would have figured that out just by prodding around. I will give it a go tonight!
Bob Sorel is offline  
post #314 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,460
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Reflecting on why JRMC16 is working so well for me, I am convinced that its success is due largely because it works within its own environment and does not rely on installed, registered codecs in the system, a variable which makes other solutions much more of a "hit or miss" situation. JRMC16 installs the codecs it wants and needs, controls its own environment, and does not share those installed codecs (as far as I know) with the rest of the computer, and as such is not prone to codecs unintentionally getting in each other's way.

If you think you have a pretty much bare bones system, think again. I recently discovered a neat little app called "InstalledCodecs" which lists all of your installed codecs (go figure... ) and allows you to easily enable or disable them without uninstalling or manually registering and unregistering them. After setting up my games machine with what I considered a minimal set of codecs (just enough to run Eac3to for demuxing and transcoding) I was amazed when I finally took a look at the list of installed codecs. When I tried to run "Fallout 3", I was getting garbled digital noise instead of music, and as it turned out, the problem was that the installed Sonic HD demuxer (that I don't even use, but it was installed as part of another package) was interfering with Fallout 3's proprietary .MP3 and .OGG player. The point is, here was an installed codec that was playing havoc with a totally independent program. The same happens when you use other HTPC programs like MPC-HC, Zoomplayer, WM7, etc. and they use codecs installed on the system rather than within their own environment - they can interfere with each other and cause people like me huge headaches...

I know most of you guys already know all this, but I just wanted to reiterate for the newbies and to reinforce to Jim and the gang that they are definitely doing the right thing. Please do not ever change that aspect of J. River Media Center!
Bob Sorel is offline  
post #315 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
CountryBumkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was looking at the FPS Tags for my movie collection and I noticed that all the 1080p material was taged as 23.976 fps. However the DVDs did not have any FPS listed. Since MC changes screen resolution based on these fps tags, I thought it would be a good idea to populate the data.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find out what the actual DVD fps should be - is it 59.94 fps (NTSC) or 23.976 or does it vary depending on the source/material?

I have over a hundred DVD rips of movies and about the same amount of MKV rips of TV shows (some new like "Lost", and some old like "I Love Lucy").

BTW, even without this tag/fps info the DVD rips play fine. So maybe I should just leave it blank - but that really nags me. Can anyone help?
CountryBumkin is offline  
post #316 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
steelman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I would think it would depend on source, but if there is no fps, then it might be fair to assume that the file is playing back at the default screen resolution (could I presume set at 60Hz). I would be inclined to leave well alone, however should you come across stuttering from DVD playback, then investigate and set fps for the offending files.

Like you I had a similiar problem - in PAL land. DVD's were 25fps (not analysed by JRiver) and screen set to default 50Hz - perfect playback.

If you want to you could use Media Info (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) right click on the video_ts file (not the folder) and it will tell you the fps
steelman1991 is offline  
post #317 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

I was looking at the FPS Tags for my movie collection and I noticed that all the 1080p material was taged as 23.976 fps. However the DVDs did not have any FPS listed. Since MC changes screen resolution based on these fps tags, I thought it would be a good idea to populate the data.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find out what the actual DVD fps should be - is it 59.94 fps (NTSC) or 23.976 or does it vary depending on the source/material?

I have over a hundred DVD rips of movies and about the same amount of MKV rips of TV shows (some new like "Lost", and some old like "I Love Lucy").

BTW, even without this tag/fps info the DVD rips play fine. So maybe I should just leave it blank - but that really nags me. Can anyone help?


A recurring theme recently is that DVD video seems to be immune to the update library from tags analysis. It may be because the IFO files themselves aren't tagged. I think J River is aware of this and hopefully will address this when mat returns.
Jim, in case you guys missed it - see above. We need a way for DVD video fps to be automatically analysed. Cheers.
fitbrit is offline  
post #318 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

What type of content are you playing?
Eg file type, codec, fps, RO standard or HQ.
Are you playing PAL 25fps DVDs for example?
What's the hardware, including refresh rate of your screen?

I've tried M2TS and MKV. Both at 24fps NTSC. Both play fine in VLC at 24fps. Refresh rate is set to 24fps, tv is 120hz.

Athlon x3 450 (3.2GHz)
4850 1GB HDMI
4GB DDR2 800

Main HT
Speakers: Polk Audio CS2, Monitor 70's, Monitor 30's, BIC F12 12" Sub
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
TV: 47" Vizio 120hz 1080p SV470XVT
HTPC: Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 560ti 1GB, 3TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
Bluray: Pioneer BDP-150
Gaming: HTPC, Xbox 360, Wii
Other: Turtle Beach X41 7.1 Headset,...
mudfrog is offline  
post #319 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Member
 
piccirilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any word or development on the aforementioned setup/user guide? This would be a huge incentive for those like myself unfamiliar with MC. As it stands now, I have concerns how to make MC work the way I like without reinventing the wheel. As others have said here, it's not intuitive. Understandably, there is not one default setup good for everyone, but lacking a general setup guide is discouraging. I learned the hard way with Media Portal, and don't want to repeat all the invested hours experimenting.
piccirilli is offline  
post #320 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Yeah, the more that I thought about it after posting, the more I decided that it would probably be best to let my pre/pro do the D/A conversion. But what I do question at this point is where should I have the decoding done, within JRMC16 or in my pre/pro? Or does it even make a difference?

There should be no difference. Experts always liken the decoding to unzipping a compressed file - it doesn't matter where you do it, it either works or doesn't.

I hear you on the ideal HTPC thing. So far I am having an amazing experience with a Clarkdale i3 and a GTS450.
fitbrit is offline  
post #321 of 1235 Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post

I've tried M2TS and MKV. Both at 24fps NTSC. Both play fine in VLC at 24fps. Refresh rate is set to 24fps, tv is 120hz.

Athlon x3 450 (3.2GHz)
4850 1GB HDMI
4GB DDR2 800

There are some options:

1) Turn off thumbnail creation. If you have a lot of media, and you're not leaving your HTPC on overnight, it could be taking a while to create them all.

2) Did you specify in options>video to change refresh rate to 1920x1080x32 bit and 23 Hz when a movie is 23.976 fps? If not, try it.

3) Try turning OFF video acceleration.
fitbrit is offline  
post #322 of 1235 Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
There are some options:

1) Turn off thumbnail creation. If you have a lot of media, and you're not leaving your HTPC on overnight, it could be taking a while to create them all.

2) Did you specify in options>video to change refresh rate to 1920x1080x32 bit and 23 Hz when a movie is 23.976 fps? If not, try it.

3) Try turning OFF video acceleration.
The HTPC is always on but I'll try turning off thumbnail creation. I have not changed the refresh rate within the program so I'll look into that tonight, as well as no video acceleration.

Main HT
Speakers: Polk Audio CS2, Monitor 70's, Monitor 30's, BIC F12 12" Sub
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
TV: 47" Vizio 120hz 1080p SV470XVT
HTPC: Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 560ti 1GB, 3TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
Bluray: Pioneer BDP-150
Gaming: HTPC, Xbox 360, Wii
Other: Turtle Beach X41 7.1 Headset,...
mudfrog is offline  
post #323 of 1235 Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post

The HTPC is always on but I'll try turning off thumbnail creation. I have not changed the refresh rate within the program so I'll look into that tonight, as well as no video acceleration.

Look at the settings in options>video> carefully. I have a strong feeling that the issue will be resolved there.
fitbrit is offline  
post #324 of 1235 Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jimwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL USA
Posts: 5,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Generally speaking the Auzentech and Asus sound cards are very good, but some consider a PC to be just too electronically noisy to make it worth using it as the DAC component

Hah!! "some" should look at the digital miasma inside a modern AVR !! I opened my Pioneer 1120K just to take a peek and it puts my HTPC to shame! That's why, afterall, they include that "Pure Direct" mode which almost nobody uses.


Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
jimwhite is offline  
post #325 of 1235 Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
AVTechMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The State of Michigan
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Okay I finally got around to installing JRMC on my HTPC and I have to say, I think its going to replace WMC as my movie/audio player. Seriously!

I tossed some Bluray movies at it and some DVD movies, and even an HD-DVD disc and JRMC plays them without fail (and these are MKV files). I selected the RO HQ option in video settings and I switched between bitstreaming and letting the player decode and sending to the AVR as LPCM. Detected the proper HD audio codec and everything.

I really like the fact that I do not have to deal with any filters or codecs since JRMC deals with that automatically, so it could be called a true plug and play solution. I am wondering, however if there is a need to switch to 24Hz playback since some of the movies I have are in that resolution....or whether I should just leave it at 60Hz.

Haven't worked with the audio portion yet but will be working on that next. I know there are different ways of importing the library but I would like to import all of my movies and TV shows somewhat similar to how it would be done in Media Browser. Since I have gotten all of the metadata from using MCM and MB, I would like to be able to see my video collection where I can select them just as I have with MB. I know there's a way to do it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

As for WMC, I may end up dropping it for my movie and audio player, but I will still have to use WMC for my Ceton tuner though to watch my cable channels, but no big deal.

Back to experimenting!
AVTechMan is offline  
post #326 of 1235 Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Hah!! "some" should look at the digital miasma inside a modern AVR !! I opened my Pioneer 1120K just to take a peek and it puts my HTPC to shame! That's why, afterall, they include that "Pure Direct" mode which almost nobody uses.


I can imagine! I was just repeating stuff I've read in these and other forums, hence I didn't attribute the sentiment to anyone in particular. I tend to bitstream everything to my AVR anyway, but am also able to decode first if necessary. I'm not currently set up to do DAC in my HTPCs.
fitbrit is offline  
post #327 of 1235 Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post


I really like the fact that I do not have to deal with any filters or codecs since JRMC deals with that automatically, so it could be called a true plug and play solution. I am wondering, however if there is a need to switch to 24Hz playback since some of the movies I have are in that resolution....or whether I should just leave it at 60Hz.


If your display device can handle a 23.976 ("23") Hz input, I would go with that. Go into options>Video.
One of the settings will allow you to specify which refresh rate you want according to the fps rate of the file being played.
Then all you have to do is get JRMC to analyse the file and determine the fps. You do this in Library tools>update library from tags if it's already in your library. I believe new items being imported might have the fps field filled in for you.

As for your meta data being displayed, take a look through posts from CountryBumkin in thsi thread - I believe he was able to import all his data from MyMovies. You'll still have to configure how you want to see the data in Theater View, though. i.e. choose which data you want displayed and how you want to navigate through your library. This too is reached through the options menu.
fitbrit is offline  
post #328 of 1235 Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
AVTechMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The State of Michigan
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

If your display deice can handle a 23.976 ("23") Hz input, I would go with that. Go into options>Video.
One of the settings will allow you to specify which refresh rate you want according to the fps rate of the file being played.
Then all you have to do is get JRMC to analyse the file and determine the fps. You do this in Library tools>update library from tags if it's already in your library. I believe new items being imported might have the fps field filled in for you.

As for your meta data being displayed, take a look through posts from CountryBumkin in thsi thread - I believe he was able to import all his data from MyMovies. You'll still have to configure how you want to see the data in Theater View, though. i.e. choose which data you want displayed and how you want to navigate through your library. This too is reached through the options menu.


I've located the Display Settings under the Video section in Options, and says for 'FILM (24 fps): Desktop Settings' I see many options for '1980x1080x32x24' but am not certain what the "32x24" would mean (assuming 24 is the fps).

EDIT: Ok making the change I saw that the TV changed to 24Hz when I played the Bluray movies, and remained at 60Hz for the DVD movies. Nice. Used to have trouble with the rate changes with WMC+MPC-HC with judder and jerks, so ended up fixing the rate at 60Hz to keep it smooth.
AVTechMan is offline  
post #329 of 1235 Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I've located the Display Settings under the Video section in Options, and says for 'FILM (24 fps): Desktop Settings' I see many options for '1980x1080x32x24' but am not certain what the "32x24" would mean (assuming 24 is the fps).

EDIT: Ok making the change I saw that the TV changed to 24Hz when I played the Bluray movies, and remained at 60Hz for the DVD movies. Nice. Used to have trouble with the rate changes with WMC+MPC-HC with judder and jerks, so ended up fixing the rate at 60Hz to keep it smooth.

The 32 refers to 32-bit colour.
fitbrit is offline  
post #330 of 1235 Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Member
 
bubbachunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am struggling to pull album art at this point. I choose the search the internet feature and not a single picture comes up....
bubbachunk is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off