118Likes

post #361 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

I also found an article about how to name the files so MCM will scrape the TV metadata from TVDB or whatever it is they use for TV shows.

Ooooo..... Please share!

I plan to reorganise my TV Show DVDs into episode mkv's over the next few weeks, so any help in getting the metadata in would be great.

SBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I thought I did exactly that, but I didn't see the info show up in the tags. I'll give it another try. I also found an article about how to name the files so MCM will scrape the TV metadata from TVDB or whatever it is they use for TV shows.

I use MyMovies Collection Management to collect the meta-data and save in the movie folder as XML format - so I don't know how other scraper program do it ...
But for my setup - this is what I do:
After you create and name the folder, for your TV show (and rip the show to the folder), collect the meta-data with whatever program you use. Then you have to go into the JRiver field properties table (the screen I show above) and see what was entered automatically. If the meta-data is not in the fields as it should be, you can select the row (or multiple rows by holding CNTRL key) that need editing (see the row in my picture a few posts above that is highlighted). Then right click on the row you want to edit and select "Fill Properties from File Name" (assuming you want to fill in Series, Season, Episiode, and Name (which is included in the TV Show's filename you created). The box that pops up lets you setup how your "filename" is structured (the [series] [season].[episode] [name]). Then when you click enter, it fills in the tags/fields from the filename for you. There is also a copy, find/replace tool, and few others to make the job easier.
post #363 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

I use MyMovies Collection Management to collect the meta-data and save in the movie folder as XML format - so I don't know how other scraper program do it ...
After you create and name the folder, for your TV show (and rip the show to the folder), collect the meta-data with whatever program you use. Then you have to go into the JRiver field properties table (the screen I show above) and see what was entered automatically. If the meta-data is not in the fields as it should be, you can select the row (or multiple rows by holding CNTRL key) that need editing (see the row in my picture a few posts above that is highlighted). Then right click on the row you want to edit and select "Fill Properties from File Name" (assuming you want to fill in Series, Season, Episiode, and Name (which is included in the TV Show's filename you created). The box that pops up lets you setup how your "filename" is structured (the [series] [season].[episode] [name]). Then when you click enter, it fills in the tags/fields from the filename for you. There is also a copy, find/replace tool, and few others to make the job easier.

I'm going to have to try this soon.
post #364 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Liked: 13
OK - tried again. The "tag from filename" thing works exactly as described. It fills in the series name, season, episode number and episode name and displays it as a series with the episodes in the correct order in Theater View (I did go in File View and set the Media Sub-type to "TV"). So far so good, but where the problem comes is that the right click :get movie info ..." doesn't work very well on TV shows due to the current sources (Wikepedia, tMDB or Rotten Tomatoes).

So you will need to resort to some sort of external tagging source for covers and other metadata.

Back to the MCM experiment there.
post #365 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm trying the demo of Jriver mc. I'm having a problem where opening a .mkv movie an error dialog box displays "Failed to connect audio renderer to audio decoder". any ideas where I start to repair this problem?
post #366 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post

I'm trying the demo of Jriver mc. I'm having a problem where opening a .mkv movie an error dialog box displays "Failed to connect audio renderer to audio decoder". any ideas where I start to repair this problem?

If you are using a built-in graphics card (and some older discrete cards) do not select "Hardware accelerate Video decoding when possible". This is under Tools>Options>Video.

Also make sure you have "mkv" format selected (association setup) under Tools>Options>File Types>Video

Edit: One more thing to look at - Go to Tools>Options>Audio and set output mode to "WASPI Event Style".
post #367 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:

HELP! I have tried the MyMovies Collection Management demo again, and it refuses to write anything to the movie folders. It retrieves the metadata, but stores nothing locally even though I have "Store metadata in MyMovies XML files" checked in Options. I have tried this on my HTPC as well as in my Win 7 VM in Parallels on my Mac - same result, nothing.
post #368 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
^^^^^^^ thanks for that. I did the changes you suggested to no avail

my problem was me turning on Bitstreaming as I like to see the pretty words on my recv'r. This is a dual purpose htpc/soho pc and maybe I got to play around a bit more with this software
post #369 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HELP! I have tried the MyMovies Collection Management demo again, and it refuses to write anything to the movie folders. It retrieves the metadata, but stores nothing locally even though I have "Store metadata in MyMovies XML files" checked in Options. I have tried this on my HTPC as well as in my Win 7 VM in Parallels on my Mac - same result, nothing.

When you say it retrieve the meta-data but doesn't store it in the movie folder does this mean whenever you open MyMovies all the cover art and movie info is there, but you just can't find the meta-data when you look for it in the folder?

If you create a folder with the name of the movie and rip a movie to it, does MyMovies "notice" the new movie and automatically download the cover art and meta-data? If it does then look in the movie folder and you should see a folder.jpg (cover art) and a movies.xml folder.

If MyMovies is not automatically adding the meta-data you may not have the program setup properly to monitor the folders (even then you can tell it to manually look for new movies in your folders).

In JRiver you have to tell it where your movie folder is. And you tell it is the cover art is stored in the folder with the movie or eselwhere.

Also, in the MyMovies demo are setup with your e-mail, username, and password. If the demo didn't require that info, you may not be getting all the features you need - in the demo.
post #370 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post

^^^^^^^ thanks for that. I did the changes you suggested to no avail

my problem was me turning on Bitstreaming as I like to see the pretty words on my recv'r. This is a dual purpose htpc/soho pc and maybe I got to play around a bit more with this software

Try WASAPI (not event style)
post #371 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:

When you say it retrieve the meta-data but doesn't store it in the movie folder does this mean whenever you open MyMovies all the cover art and movie info is there, but you just can't find the meta-data when you look for it in the folder?

If you create a folder with the name of the movie and rip a movie to it, does MyMovies "notice" the new movie and automatically download the cover art and meta-data? If it does then look in the movie folder and you should see a folder.jpg (cover art) and a movies.xml folder.

If MyMovies is not automatically adding the meta-data you may not have the program setup properly to monitor the folders (even then you can tell it to manually look for new movies in your folders).

In JRiver you have to tell it where your movie folder is. And you tell it is the cover art is stored in the folder with the movie or eselwhere.

Also, in the MyMovies demo are setup with your e-mail, username, and password. If the demo didn't require that info, you may not be getting all the features you need - in the demo.

It works fine with movies, but it not write the XML metadata for TV shows. I did figure out how to get MCM to detect TV shows and it created some very nice metadata from theTVDB. Unfortunately, MC16 can't use any of it since it is a different schema from what it writes for films

I'm good on dealing with movies with MCM -it's a little unreliable, but I've figured out how to deal with it. I guess I will use the "tags from filename" business in MC16 for TV shows for now, but I know of no way to get other basic info into MC16 at the moment.
post #372 of 1489 Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It works fine with movies, but it not write the XML metadata for TV shows. I did figure out how to get MCM to detect TV shows and it created some very nice metadata from theTVDB. Unfortunately, MC16 can't use any of it since it is a different schema from what it writes for films

I'm good on dealing with movies with MCM -it's a little unreliable, but I've figured out how to deal with it. I guess I will use the "tags from filename" business in MC16 for TV shows for now, but I know of no way to get other basic info into MC16 at the moment.

Yes, Sorry i thought I mentioned it - but MyMovies collects the meta-data for TV Shows but it doesn't export it. I asked over at the MyMovies forum and appearently they have no plans to fix this.
post #373 of 1489 Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Yes, Sorry i thought I mentioned it - but MyMovies collects the meta-data for TV Shows but it doesn't export it. I asked over at the MyMovies forum and appearently they have no plans to fix this.

Yeah, quite a shame. While I figured out on getting the TV Series and Episodes to display separately, it doesn't tell or display the episode synopsis or anything. MCM did this well with MB. But no matter, hopefully one day there will be a fix of some sort whether by the MM team or a 3rd party group.
post #374 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Okay for HD playback, its pretty stellar in MC. For DVD playback however (which I haven't tested just yet) is the image quality upscaled at all? I was also curious if there were any other ways to get different views in 'Theater View' or to dress up the UI a bit.

I'm still weighing the idea on whether to spend the $50 on the software. Though the trial expired on my laptop I still have some time to test it on the HTPC before it runs out too. For audio it may be a no-brainer but the only slight killer in using MC is the fact that none of the metadata for TV shows show up like it does for movies (synopsis). WMC handles this just fine. Of course not the fault of JRMC, as MM is the blame for this one.

Other than that, JRMC seems very solid.
post #375 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Odd thing I have noticed. When hooked directly to a small 1080p Samsung TV via HDMI and no bit streamed audio), I can play 1080p MKV's either windowed or exclusive with no dropped frames. When I hook the HTPC up to my big Samsung via my Denon 3311CI (HDMI again, but I have bit streaming turned on), I get pretty bad stuttering until it kicks over into exclusive mode.

This has happened with either a GTS450 or Radeon 6570 video card, so it seems to be something in MC16. I will try turning off bit streaming on the big TV/AVR setup to see if that changes anything.

Does this sound normal?

Fiddled a little bit with the Radeon Catalyst video PP settings, and have a picture the equal (maybe a hair sharper) than by Oppo BDP-83 with blu-ray rips, so I'm happy.
post #376 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Okay for HD playback, its pretty stellar in MC. For DVD playback however (which I haven't tested just yet) is the image quality upscaled at all? I was also curious if there were any other ways to get different views in 'Theater View' or to dress up the UI a bit.

I'm still weighing the idea on whether to spend the $50 on the software. Though the trial expired on my laptop I still have some time to test it on the HTPC before it runs out too. For audio it may be a no-brainer but the only slight killer in using MC is the fact that none of the metadata for TV shows show up like it does for movies (synopsis). WMC handles this just fine. Of course not the fault of JRMC, as MM is the blame for this one.

Other than that, JRMC seems very solid.

RO-HQ uses madVR for rendering and it does the upscaling. There are selectable configurations for the upscaling depending on the power of your video card.
post #377 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RO-HQ uses madVR for rendering and it does the upscaling. There are selectable configurations for the upscaling depending on the power of your video card.

I don't think madvr can be used for DVD playback in most cases, if not all and certainly not in MC.
post #378 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Odd thing I have noticed. When hooked directly to a small 1080p Samsung TV via HDMI and no bit streamed audio), I can play 1080p MKV's either windowed or exclusive with no dropped frames. When I hook the HTPC up to my big Samsung via my Denon 3311CI (HDMI again, but I have bit streaming turned on), I get pretty bad stuttering until it kicks over into exclusive mode.

This has happened with either a GTS450 or Radeon 6570 video card, so it seems to be something in MC16. I will try turning off bit streaming on the big TV/AVR setup to see if that changes anything.

Does this sound normal?

Fiddled a little bit with the Radeon Catalyst video PP settings, and have a picture the equal (maybe a hair sharper) than by Oppo BDP-83 with blu-ray rips, so I'm happy.

I really think this might be a problem with HDMI handshake between pc and avr and then avr to screen. Does this also happen in MPC-HC with bitstreaming and madvr?
post #379 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a reason not to just start in Exclusive mode all the time? There is a setting in MadVR to have it start in full-screen exclusive mode.
post #380 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM

Liked: 11
I'm working my way through this at the moment and it seems for DVDs JRMC is the same in Red October standard and HQ. Renderer is EVR. No upscaling and no way I can find to add it.

Quote:

I've seen the light... and its "White 255"!! (or is it 235?)
post #381 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
madshi on DVD with madVR:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...0420#msg420420

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #382 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 PM

If I rip the main title from a DVD to a mkv file and play in JRMC with Red October HQ, what filter graph will be used?

post #383 of 1489 Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 PM

OK I can answer myself. I have tried it, and if you rip a DVD main title to a mkv file and play with Jriver it automatically uses MadVR. I will watch the result this evening and see what the video quality is like.

post #384 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've recently added a Win7 HTPC to my home after being Mac-only for several years, so I'm just now starting to learn about applications like JRMC.

My entire music library is lossless (converted from FLAC format directly to Apple Lossless .m4a for compatibility with iTunes and iOS devices.)

The HTPC is connected via HDMI to my Anthem Statement d2v processor, which offers outstanding audio quality.

Currently my music library resides on a NAS device, and I use iTunes to playback the lossless .m4a files either directly on iTunes on the HTPC, or more commonly (out of convenience) using an Apple TV (also connected via HDMI to the Anthem) as an AirPlay device receiving the audio from my primary Mac's iTunes, which I use the most frequently.

Question: would I gain any noticeable audio quality improvement by using JRMC to play back the lossless audio files (via HDMI on the HTPC) versus iTunes? If the source audio files is lossless, does the play back mechanism even matter much, as long as the source is connected digitally via HDMI to my audio processor?

Thanks,
Robert

post #385 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzagazza View Post

OK I can answer myself. I have tried it, and if you rip a DVD main title to a mkv file and play with Jriver it automatically uses MadVR. I will watch the result this evening and see what the video quality is like.

I would like to know what the result is. All of my DVD's were ripped in VIDEO_TS folder structure. It would suck to have to re-rip them to MKV in order to utilize the MadVR.
post #386 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

madshi on DVD with madVR:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...0420#msg420420

Yes Jim, but madshi's workaround (a couple of post down from this one) doesn't work in Red October. I used to have this working in MC *before* Red October completely satisfactorily, but since then I can't seem to get the right filter combination to stick in Merit Based. Shame.

SBR
post #387 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post

... would I gain any noticeable audio quality improvement by using JRMC to play back the lossless audio files (via HDMI on the HTPC) versus iTunes? If the source audio files is lossless, does the play back mechanism even matter much, as long as the source is connected digitally via HDMI to my audio processor?

It does matter. If your device has an ASIO driver, that would be best, but WASAPI or Kernel Streaming also work well. This is a good place to start:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #388 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Reporting back... DVDs ripped to mkv playback with madVR using the scaling etc available from that renderer. I am assuming this is because the Microsoft dvd navigator is not needed.

post #389 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I would like to know what the result is. All of my DVD's were ripped in VIDEO_TS folder structure. It would suck to have to re-rip them to MKV in order to utilize the MadVR.

You can open the VIDEO_TS folder and select the IFO file in makemkv and it will create individual mkv's in short order - no ripping from the physical DVD required.
post #390 of 1489 Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Hmmm...what has changed in MC16 that is now causing problems with subtitles? As I previously posted, MC16 was correctly recognizing the "forced" flag and displaying the subs correctly. Now, after MC16 automatically downloaded some new components, the "forced" flag is not being recognized, and the subs are displayed in the wrong place. Instead of being displayed at the bottom of the picture, the subs are midway vertically on the left hand side of the screen. This is happening with 2 machines which were working perfectly, my HTPC and my test rig. It does not matter which build of MC16 I use, so I am assuming that one of the components that was automatically updated is causing the issue, though I have no idea which component.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page