post #451 of 1147 Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post

Any idea how? I've been banging my head off of this thing all day now. I really, really want to like it but I'm so firmly entrenched in the File Structure mindset of MB. I don't need media info, ratings, genres, etc. I just need to know that if I rip The Smurfs season 3 and Place the files in \\\\SERVER\\Kids Movies\\Smurfs\\Season 3, that I will find it without jumping through hoops.
Primarily I want to us Jriver for it's playback quality increase over 7mc, media management is something I prefer to do in Windows Explorer.

Only one day??? LOL

I was at it for quite a while and never got to figure it out...

The audio part was fantastic, at least I could get it to work with ASIO, but my trial period expired while trying to figure out the tagging mechanism...

I got an extra 8 days or so of trial period, but never got it to work the way I wanted, and since then I simply let go...

I thought it was a bit expensive to pay $50 just for playing audio only...

Maybe I will look again one day if they decide to support using folder structure...

Switching back to LURK mode...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my movie collection 400+ isos all pefectly cataloged by "My Movies" is there any easy way to have jriver import all this info?

Mains: Swan diva 6.1 Center: Swan diva C3Surrounds: Swan Diva 4.1Sourround Back: Swan diva R2Sub: SVS SB-2000 Receiver :TX-NR809 Transport :Opppo 103 US Plasma:TC-P54VT25
post #453 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just started playing with JRiver MC yesterday. I've been using my HTPC for OTA for a few years now and have about 400+ movies ripped all via directory structure with metadata that MediaBrowser likes. It's taken me a couple hours to wrap my feeble mind around the JRiver database structure, but it's coming along slowly. I'm just working on a test machine now while I figure out if I want to buy the software. So far, I really like the interface more than WMC/MB and if I can figure out a few of the quirks, I might pull the trigger. The TV guide is my biggest peeve at the moment. The wife for sure won't like the list view as she's used to the Grid view that everything else out there uses. I'm doing a test recording of OTA tonight with a spare USB tuner.
post #454 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

The TV guide is my biggest peeve at the moment. The wife for sure won't like the list view as she's used to the Grid view that everything else out there uses. I'm doing a test recording of OTA tonight with a spare USB tuner.

I would wait and see what changes will be introduced in a new version of JRiver . I believe that licences for MC16 purchased now will be valid for MC17 too.
post #455 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

I would wait and see what changes will be introduced in a new version of JRiver . I believe that licences for MC16 purchased now will be valid for MC17 too.

That's good to know. Although from my digging around here and on their forums, I haven't seen mention of MC17 yet, although I may have missed it. I'll keep playing around.

On another note, if I tweak my test rig to my liking, then install it on my HTPC, is there a way I can import my settings to the HTPC?
post #456 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

That's good to know. Although from my digging around here and on their forums, I haven't seen mention of MC17 yet, although I may have missed it. I'll keep playing around.

On another note, if I tweak my test rig to my liking, then install it on my HTPC, is there a way I can import my settings to the HTPC?

Yes, you can do a library backup. When you restore it on the HTPC you can choose to restore settings and/or library and playlists.
post #457 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's some speculation and confirmation of the licencing from Jim: link
post #458 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Hope they polish the UI a bit in v17. I just tried the demo again, after playing with it a couple of years ago, and the 10ft UI is still rather primitive compared to Media Center, Plex, XBMC and pretty much all the other front ends.

The functionality is there, but JRiver really, really needs to hire a good designer.
post #459 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

Hope they polish the UI a bit in v17. I just tried the demo again, after playing with it a couple of years ago, and the 10ft UI is still rather primitive compared to Media Center, Plex, XBMC and pretty much all the other front ends.

The functionality is there, but JRiver really, really needs to hire a good designer.

This was my instinctive reaction too, especially a couple of years ago. I think the software has attracted many high-end users, and many of them couldn't care less about the flashy UIs that are floating around; they care more about the functionality, as you say, and the usability of the UI. After the wow factor dies down, especially for your guests, you need a UI that can be easily navigated and can find what you're looking for within a huge library. JRiver does this presently.
However, there are also forum members who feel that there can be more wow without losing the JRiver's famed functionality. I guess I fall into this camp.
post #460 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Eye candy is nice but i rather functionality over a flashy UI. But then again im a higher end user.
post #461 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:

This was my instinctive reaction too, especially a couple of years ago. I think the software has attracted many high-end users, and many of them couldn't care less about the flashy UIs that are floating around; they care more about the functionality, as you say, and the usability of the UI. After the wow factor dies down, especially for your guests, you need a UI that can be easily navigated and can find what you're looking for within a huge library. JRiver does this presently.
However, there are also forum members who feel that there can be more wow without losing the JRiver's famed functionality. I guess I fall into this camp.

I really agree with you. As long as the audio is and video quality are great, I'm happy with MC's simple screen and easy navigation. But, I'd love to see a couple of really simple things added, like three (or more) locations of weather info, and a little static window displaying the time, day, date and temp in every theatre view except a currently playing move.

That's all I miss from XBMC...
post #462 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post

Any idea how? I've been banging my head off of this thing all day now. I really, really want to like it but I'm so firmly entrenched in the File Structure mindset of MB. I don't need media info, ratings, genres, etc. I just need to know that if I rip The Smurfs season 3 and Place the files in \\\\SERVER\\Kids Movies\\Smurfs\\Season 3, that I will find it without jumping through hoops.
Primarily I want to us Jriver for it's playback quality increase over 7mc, media management is something I prefer to do in Windows Explorer.

I just saw your post. Did you get it figured out yet?

For me:
The first step is going to a windowed view
Then import the file/files
Select the freshly imported file/files
Then from the menu, go to Tools> Library Tools> Fill Properties from Filename

Then use the settings you configure in the dialog box to match your info scheme to pull the meta data from the directory structure (first ck-box) and file name (second ck-box).

There's probably better ways, but this is how I've pulled all of my DVDs, Blurays, and wave files into MC16.

The attachment below is how I import and tag my wave files.
LL
post #463 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Eye candy is nice but i rather functionality over a flashy UI. But then again im a higher end user.

LOL.

I hope you don't pick a spouse this way, too.

Kidding aside, the functionality is fine, but the UI is convoluted and primitive. It seems like the primary target is a user with a small (computer) screen and a mouse/keyboard (which IMO is rather "low-end"), rather than a user with a large (TV) screen and a remote.

Anyway, my comment was just an impromptu observation regarding the lack of progress in the UI department, after I downloaded the demo to try again, after a couple of years. If JRiver doesn't see the need to change it and if its target audience is happy with it, that's fine.
post #464 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I've just moved some of the MC17 threads out to the MC17 board. You could start at the feature list here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66848.0

A beta will be available in the next week. We're at build 20 now.

Special thanks to babgvant for his crucial help on commercial skipping.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #465 of 1147 Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

LOL.

I hope you don't pick a spouse this way, too.

Kidding aside, the functionality is fine, but the UI is convoluted and primitive. It seems like the primary target is a user with a small (computer) screen and a mouse/keyboard (which IMO is rather "low-end"), rather than a user with a large (TV) screen and a remote.

Anyway, my comment was just an impromptu observation regarding the lack of progress in the UI department, after I downloaded the demo to try again, after a couple of years. If JRiver doesn't see the need to change it and if its target audience is happy with it, that's fine.

I dont see myself ever marrying but i get your point lol.

Seriously though i do like the UI of some of the front ends like WMC and mb but WMC has its weaknesses also. With JRMC though you have a learning curve its very functional and simple. Everyone's tastes are unique and that's perfectly fine. I just want to get the most out of my audio and video and for me jrmc does the job.
post #466 of 1147 Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
post #467 of 1147 Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

We've just posted the first beta version of MC17 on the new MC17 board:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=23.0

post #468 of 1147 Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

MC17 is looking pretty good. Still have some quirks with the Guide. I've been playing with it off and on for a week or so and will probably buy it when payday rolls around.
post #469 of 1147 Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

MC17 is looking pretty good. Still have some quirks with the Guide. I've been playing with it off and on for a week or so and will probably buy it when payday rolls around.

The grid-style television guide in Theater View is new, so there might be a few things that need tuning.

If you have particular issues, post them here or at Interact and we'll work through them together.

Thanks.
post #470 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post

The grid-style television guide in Theater View is new, so there might be a few things that need tuning.

If you have particular issues, post them here or at Interact and we'll work through them together.

Thanks.

I'm already working with them there actually. I'd like to get involved with being on the Beta team since I'm pretty psyched about this product. WMC is getting boring for me, looking to spice things up. LOL
post #471 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Question:

Should we start a new MC17 thread? Most software, even graphics drivers seem to have their own thread with each new release.
post #472 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Let's wait a while. Maybe when MC17 is further along it would make sense. Now it's nice to have it in one place.

post #473 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
mmm would have been nice to have been told of 17 being around the corner when I bought end of August - I would have waited

1 month out for a free upgrade

I'm guessing 16 will be continued to be sorted - ie all bugs etc fixed though ?
post #474 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
actually just taken another look - none of the 17 features really appeal to me

so as long as 16 is contuined to be supported - that'll be just fine
post #475 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The biggest thing I'd like to see is a usable manual or set of instructions.

I look at that "Where we're going next" thread and the list of "where we are now" and I can't figure out how to do 75% of that stuff. It's nice that functionality is there, but it's of no use if I can't find it or figure out how to use it.
post #476 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

mmm would have been nice to have been told of 17 being around the corner when I bought end of August - I would have waited

I might be wrong, but I thought that I read that 16 users will get a license to 17. This linky might help...
post #477 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I might be wrong, but I thought that I read that 16 users will get a license to 17. This linky might help...

I think that's only if you bought it after October 1, 2011.
post #478 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

That could be. Perhaps some clarification from them?

The way that I read it was that anyone PRIOR to 16 could buy the upgrade, version 16 upgrades free, and anyone who purchased after 10/1 doesn't even have to upgrade, it's automatically licensed to 16/17.

Then again, sometimes I'm as sharp as a marble. Doesn't really matter to me since I'm still evaluating and will just buy the 17 license if I indeed go the JRiver route on my HTPC.
post #479 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

That could be. Perhaps some clarification from them?

The way that I read it was that anyone PRIOR to 16 could buy the upgrade, version 16 upgrades free, and anyone who purchased after 10/1 doesn't even have to upgrade, it's automatically licensed to 16/17.

Then again, sometimes I'm as sharp as a marble. Doesn't really matter to me since I'm still evaluating and will just buy the 17 license if I indeed go the JRiver route on my HTPC.

It's not worded as well as it could be:

1) If you have version 15 or older and purchase an upgrade to 17, you can use that license with 16 or 17 (not sure if you can use it with both at the same time, but I suspect that would be ok).

2) If you bought version 16 on or after October 1st, there's no cost to upgrade to 17 and the license you bought should work with 17.

3) If you bought version 16 before October 1st, you have to pay to upgrade to 17. I fell into this group. They typically gradually raise the upgrade price as the new version has been out for a while, so I bought my upgrade right away assuming that was the best price I could get.
post #480 of 1147 Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might be wrong, but I thought that I read that 16 users will get a license to 17.[/url] might help...

Anyone who bought an MC16 or an MC17 license on or after October 1 2011 received an MC17 license that works with MC16 or MC17.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page