JRiver Media Center Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1147 Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
4. MC will look up data now. Right click on a movie and choose "Get Movie & TV Info".

5. This works now if you have a reader like ANYDVD HD installed.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1147 Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

4. MC will look up data now. Right click on a movie and choose "Get Movie & TV Info".

5. This works now if you have a reader like ANYDVD HD installed.

Thanks for the response. I'll look into the ripping feature (I have AnyDVD HD installed).

Does it let you enter chapter titles?

Does it handle subtitles? For example, can I set it to only include "forced" subtitles?

And, does it let me extract/rip only the audio track and make each chapter/song into separate tracks (I like to do this with some of my concert Blu-rays)?

My list was in the order of "my" importance or priorities, so JRMC won't replace WMC and the other apps until those features are covered.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #723 of 1147 Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

If you use the particle feature, you can name any of the virtual files it creates.

Subtitles are well supported. That includes forced subtitles.

Particles let you split a ripped concert disc into individual songs. There is a link above to this feature.

post #724 of 1147 Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPoobar View Post

I'm currently using the WMC7-MB-TMT5 combo ....

Before I rebuilt my HTPC I used to do a JRMC-PDVD combo which worked perfectly well, so there's no reason why a JRMC-TMT5 combo won't work for you for the Menu/3D support for when you need it. Since my rebuild I haven't even bothered to install PDVD!

SBR
post #725 of 1147 Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Has there been any progress on full cable card tuner support?

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #726 of 1147 Old 05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Not yet.

post #727 of 1147 Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM

I have been user of MC16 and am trying out MC17. PVR capability is HUGE for me. I love the new guide and everything seems a go for me to purchase 17. Only one hang up... Does MC17 have the ability to record TV when it is closed? I am using two HDHomerun's + an avermedia (4 over the air, two QAM). I need to be a able to set a schedule for recording and forget about it.
post #728 of 1147 Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Set MC to run Media Server at Windows Start. It can wake your PC and record a show.

post #729 of 1147 Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks! I thought I tried that, but all is working now.
post #730 of 1147 Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just wanted to add my enthusiasm for a relatively new feature in JRiver called WebGizmo. This has been amazing for me. Using WebGiizmo, I can listen to my music anywhere I want to on my iPhone, as long as there is Internet access. That includes 3G. And it's compatible with my Bluetooth headphones. This all works through a web browser. I didn't need to buy a high capacity and expensive iPhone, because I have my entire library at my disposal. Now all I have to do is setup some intuitive views to make browsing through my thousands of albums simpler and easier to do while on my phone.
I have a 1 GB data plan per month. And walking through downtown for about half an hour today, streaming music via 3G, or during my workouts, I still only use about 800 MB a month. And that's with plenty of web browsing too and tethering my iPad as well.
post #731 of 1147 Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

I just wanted to add my enthusiasm for a relatively new feature in JRiver called WebGizmo. This has been amazing for me. Using WebGiizmo, I can listen to my music anywhere I want to on my iPhone, as long as there is Internet access. That includes 3G. And it's compatible with my Bluetooth headphones. This all works through a web browser. I didn't need to buy a high capacity and expensive iPhone, because I have my entire library at my disposal. Now all I have to do is setup some intuitive views to make browsing through my thousands of albums simpler and easier to do while on my phone.
I have a 1 GB data plan per month. And walking through downtown for about half an hour today, streaming music via 3G, or during my workouts, I still only use about 800 MB a month. And that's with plenty of web browsing too and tethering my iPad as well.

This past Christmas, my family was at a friend's dinner party and they had no Christmas music in their collection. I've been collecting Christmas music of many genres for more years than I care to remember. Within a few moments I was able to link into my server/JRiver via their wireless with GIZMO (a non-browser based version of WebGizmo) on my Galaxy SII and played disc jockey all night.

TD
post #732 of 1147 Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

This past Christmas, my family was at a friend's dinner party and they had no Christmas music in their collection. I've been collecting Christmas music of many genres for more years than I care to remember. Within a few moments I was able to link into my server/JRiver via their wireless with GIZMO (a non-browser based version of WebGizmo) on my Galaxy SII and played disc jockey all night.
TD

I think that's very cool I bet your hosts were extremely impressed.
post #733 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

We're mailing a newsletter this week with some special prices:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73514.0

post #734 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Jim, Just wondering how the DRM DVR is coming along? Any progress?

post #735 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Jim, Just wondering how the DRM DVR is coming along? Any progress?

+1!
post #736 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

We're mailing a newsletter this week with some special prices:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73514.0

Great timing, I just purchased my new HTPC hardware!
post #737 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Cablecard has been slow going for us.

post #738 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Shame. Well if Windows ever does actually ditch it I hope it picks up. They'll be a lot of us looking for a new home!
post #739 of 1147 Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any info on what is holding it up?
post #740 of 1147 Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 AM

Was doing some research to see if you ever put on a sale, and see you have one this week with a free upgrade. Great, this will tip the hat for me!

(1) This brings me to a first time buyer question, what is the general length between major builds that cost money to upgrade? I see you are on development of MC 18 now - and I do like new features, but would be put off at having to buy 17 upgrades! Obviously the typical user sticks with what he has if new features will not affect him, but...

My background, typical WMC Media Browser (licensed), Media Center Master, Media Center Studio, tweaking to get all codecs running perfectly, then on my final tweak to get audio output changed from multi-stream to be recognized as DTS-MA and Dolby HD on AVR, things started to go awry. TV shows will occasionally start to repeat the first second of audio while the video would continue, then "video not recognized" would appear. I can remedy this if I play the beginning of a couple DVDs or MKVs for a couple seconds, then go back to the TV shows, but I'm getting fed up. I've rebuilt once because of the exact same problem, but other than that, what a pain.

Speaking of TV shows, I use DTB service, DTVMRSToolbox (licensed), and Showanalyzer (licensed) to skip commercials now for OTA broadcast on Hauppauge internal dual tuner. Thinking of getting a Ceton to replace my DVR at some point.
(2) JRMC has commercial skip now, and it uses Comskip (which I used back in the SD days before .wtv)? This is built in, or does it cost extra for license?

Looking forward to being a satisified user!
post #741 of 1147 Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdman View Post

Speaking of TV shows, I use DTB service, DTVMRSToolbox (licensed), and Showanalyzer (licensed) to skip commercials now for OTA broadcast on Hauppauge internal dual tuner. Thinking of getting a Ceton to replace my DVR at some point.
(2) JRMC has commercial skip now, and it uses Comskip (which I used back in the SD days before .wtv)? This is built in, or does it cost extra for license?
Looking forward to being a satisified user!

Comskip (and DTB for that matter) is FOSS, it does not require a paid license.
post #742 of 1147 Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

(1) This brings me to a first time buyer question, what is the general length between major builds that cost money to upgrade? I see you are on development of MC 18 now - and I do like new features, but would be put off at having to buy 17 upgrades! Obviously the typical user sticks with what he has if new features will not affect him, but...
IIRC, MC 17 came out around October of last year and as I recall 8 months to a year seems to be the typical time between major version upgrades. Each time they update the major version number, it's a paid upgrade - I don't recall any of those being free. Within a major version, updates are free. The upgrade prices have always been pretty reasonable IMHO.
post #743 of 1147 Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... what is the general length between major builds that cost money to upgrade? I see you are on development of MC 18 now - and I do like new features, but would be put off at having to buy 17 upgrades!
The cycle varies from about 10 to 15 months. During the transition from one version to the next, we offer a license that works with both, starting about 3 months in advance of the release of the new version. That's where we are right now. You could read more here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73516.0

post #744 of 1147 Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Liked: 11
I've come to view JRMC as a subscription service where there is an annual fee equivalent to the upgrade cost. Best to buy the upgrade when offered at a discount, but hold off doing the actual upgrade until the new version has achieved some stability.

Quote:

Was doing some research to see if you ever put on a sale, and see you have one this week with a free upgrade. Great, this will tip the hat for me!

I've seen the light... and its "White 255"!! (or is it 235?)
post #745 of 1147 Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM

OK, since installing JRMC, my WMC guide data stopped downloading, spent an hour trying google search commands to restart.

Finally had to uninstall WMC, and now starting over from scratch to get back my setup, locations, look and feel, should take another hour plus.

Trying to set up the 10ft guide of this program, I've had to uninstall, and delete the library I first added to it. Just trying to get back to a directory interface has been impossible. I want to see the movies I just added to a directory first, not every friggin video (400+) on the system. No love yet for this program, except it does decode very well with patient option tweaking. Why is Video bitstream have to be enabled for bitstreaming audio, duh?

You need to quit updating features, and write a proper install guide, and library setup that can be operated from 10 ft away! Tired of standing in front of the tv to see what the heck I'm trying to do, go back to the laptop doing wiki's or AVSs or jrivers to find stuff written in a hard to find procedureeedure/trail of crumbs... Sorry, but I think I waisted my money!

I can concurrently remotely log in to the wmc7 pc under a different name, but that does not effect the autologed on tv connected names account. Sucks.
post #746 of 1147 Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but I don't think JRiver Media Center could have caused problems for Windows Media Center. We've never had such a report.

To see only the videos you want to see, you can set up auto import. Start at Tools/Import. Add, Remove, or Edit any directories you want MC to watch.

post #747 of 1147 Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How is the 10' UI (especially for music - albums and dynamically created playlists) compared to Windows Media Center? Looking at the JRiver website movies seem to be pretty well polished. Although I am happy with Windows Media Center the fact that I have to leave the program to use Media Player Classic bothers me because it screws with the remote.
post #748 of 1147 Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

How is the 10' UI (especially for music - albums and dynamically created playlists) compared to Windows Media Center? Looking at the JRiver website movies seem to be pretty well polished. Although I am happy with Windows Media Center the fact that I have to leave the program to use Media Player Classic bothers me because it screws with the remote.
IMO, the GUI in 'Theatre Mode' is okay but nowhere near as good as WMC. WMC is more intuitive and generally takes less button pushes to achieve your intent. JRMC is good in that it will play random artwork of the artist currently playing but I prefer WMC's slideshow where you can just point to your photo folder and let WMC work its magic. A lot of my guests are impressed by that.

WRT to playlists, I can't comment on either. Actually, I can't even seem to create playlists in WMC. It's been rather buggy in both WMC and WMP.

The issue some people have is not the GUI, but the effort taken to arrange their library so it appears to their liking. For some, the process is complicated and difficult, especially with organising your movie library. For people coming from a WMC background, there is a learning curve involved. Personally, I''m waiting for their next version where this and blu-ray playback is handled according to my liking.

WMC + MB + MPC-HC is what I use. You shouldn't have remote control issues if you've taken the time to program the remote settings in MPC properly. Also, there are third party programs which can give you even more remote functionality, such as EventGhost, but then you're opening another Pandora's Box.
post #749 of 1147 Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPoobar View Post

The issue some people have is not the GUI, but the effort taken to arrange their library so it appears to their liking. For some, the process is complicated and difficult, especially with organising your movie library. For people coming from a WMC background, there is a learning curve involved. Personally, I''m waiting for their next version where this and blu-ray playback is handled according to my liking.

I have to agree with this. You can do practically anything you want with Jriver, but it's not very intuitive. Just see my post here. I feel like Jriver often assumes its users are more savvy than they are. Although what's weird is it implements features like auto-importing your media when you first install which seems more for dummies. I'm often left wondering who exactly Jriver designed to cater to.

Jriver is really amazing once you get it how you work, but I think the developers really need to take a look at other media center applications in order to see what users expect. Organizing TV shows by season in Gizmo shouldn't need configuring.

I will add that Jriver's forum support is amazing and probably unmatched by any other application. If you don't know how to do something, the developers will be quick to give you detailed instructions on how to do it.
post #750 of 1147 Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hey guys,

I am currently using Mediabrowser to launch MPC-HC for movies and Jriver for music listening. I would like to give Jriver a try for my video needs as well using the theatre view interface.

My question is this, currently when I open Jriver it opens on my primary (desktop) monitor so I can manage the audio. I have MPC-HC set up so that when it opens it does so on my second monitor (which is my projector.)

Is it possible to have Jriver open on my desktop as usual for music but when I want to watch movies have a second instance or somehow just theatre view when it is activated open on the secondary monitor automatically?

Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page