Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1133 Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have a bunch of unsorted video files like Documentaries or TV Shows that I might only watch once but don't need them in a Library like view. I'm used to XBMC and I can just go to Videos > Files and right to where I need to go to watch these. How do I add these in JRiver without them getting mixed up in the tagged Movies and TV Shows?

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1113 of 1133 Old 02-20-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If they are in a particular folder, you could use auto import rules to tag these files in a unique way, so that a view based on these tags only shows this content. For example, I have a folder called Watch and Dump. I can tag the files that are in this folder automatically, and they'll show up in a smart list I created with the same name as the folder.
OR
If they are in particular folder, away from other content, you can just navigate to the folder within MC, using its built-in explorer.

I'd recommend the former method. It takes a few minutes to read up about auto-import and implement it, but it will be well worth it. Let us know here or on Interact if you need further help.
post #1114 of 1133 Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks. I posted over at the JRiver forum and got it figured out. I imported my tagged movies and tv shows first. Made sure they imported properly then made a new video view and imported my untagged stuff. Set the Theater View to filter each video view by directory. Looks like poo in the standard view but once in Theater View which is what I'll be using 99.9% of the time mostly works how I'd like it to.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1115 of 1133 Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
post #1116 of 1133 Old 03-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Liked: 12
Hi,

I'm new to HTPC and JRiver.

My processor do not have Bass Management and I believe Jriver has the Bass Management function.

May I know how to go about it.

thanks
Marcus
post #1117 of 1133 Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post

Hi,

I'm new to HTPC and JRiver.

My processor do not have Bass Management and I believe Jriver has the Bass Management function.

May I know how to go about it.

thanks
Marcus
Are you connected to your receiver with HDMI?

In JRiver you open the DSP Studio using either Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > DSP or you can click the equalizer icon at the top right of the screen and then select DSP Studio.

You want to turn on Room Correction by checking it and then setup how you want bass management for each speaker. You set the crossover frequency and to the right of that is the high pass filter slope for the speaker. Then you set what you want to do with the bass. Move bass to subwoofer is what most use. To the right of that is the low pass filter slope for the subwoofer. You need to make sure to setup bass management for each speaker.

post #1118 of 1133 Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Liked: 12
Hi,

Thanks, got it.

Cheers and have a nice weekend.
post #1119 of 1133 Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
We sent this newsletter Friday:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88228.0

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #1120 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just testing this out after using XBMC for a few years now. I am really liking it but can someone help me get the HD audio setup? I looked for every option to let my reciever decode the blu rays but it still just comes through as stereo.

Mike Clough #24
post #1121 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Tools\Options\Audio\Settings\Bitstreaming

Also make sure your Audio Device is set correctly - a wrong choice there can lead to stereo output only.
Mikeclough24 likes this.
post #1122 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Tools\Options\Audio\Settings\Bitstreaming

Also make sure your Audio Device is set correctly - a wrong choice there can lead to stereo output only.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Mike Clough #24
post #1123 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Anyone use this with a tuner and cable card? Easy to setup?

Mike Clough #24
post #1124 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have, I though not within the last few months.

I like JRiver a lot in many ways. Live TV with ATSC is pretty fluid.

Unfortunately, I found that with a Ceton I had a lot more playback problems in JRiver than in WMC. It seems to me that some portion of JRiver's code just was not optimized enough. Creating some kind of timing problem. I had stopped using WMC in favor of JRiver in pursuit of the better picture quality available with ROHQ.

I kept getting picture breakup and other issues that I though was the Ceton. Then I tried the standard video option and still saw the same thing. I grew frustrated after months of this off and on. I went back to WMC and much to my surprise it played nearly faultlessly. So I had been blaming Ceton for performance problems that were in the JRiver part of the pipeline. I might at some point give JRiver another shot but the guide and overall usability for live is just so much better in WMC.

Now I can not speak to how Silicon HD Primes do with JRiver and my experience is some months old but I did not have anything resembling the "just works" experience that assures reasonable WAF. I posted this experience on their site and instead of working with me to get a handle on the issue they deleted post. They are extremely sensitive over there about anything that is not glowing in its praise. I have pretty much gone back to using JRiver as an audio only application. I get great value out of the library server and Gizmo. I start JRiver automatically and use Gizmo as a remote control on my Android devices to determine what music to play. So now I autostart both JRiver and WMC. But I never actually see JRiver only Gizmo. JRiver and WMC happily coexist. So if I am going to watch TV, I run the display otherwise I operate headless and use Gizmo for music.

Just another blank signature.
post #1125 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

gtgray,
You haven't posted since November, but your characterization of JRiver support distorts the history in your favor. You posted a couple hundred times, and you received a lot of help. It just wasn't ever enough. Here, for example, you dump on JRiver when another user asks if something works, but he goes ahead and tries and it works for him.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84326.msg576693#msg576693

You're clearly an advanced user, out on the edge of what's possible to do. I admit we may have let you down, and I regret that, but we did try.

post #1126 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

gtgray,
You haven't posted since November, but your characterization of JRiver support distorts the history in your favor. You posted a couple hundred times, and you received a lot of help. It just wasn't ever enough. Here, for example, you dump on JRiver when another user asks if something works, but he goes ahead and tries and it works for him.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84326.msg576693#msg576693

You're clearly an advanced user, out on the edge of what's possible to do. I admit we may have let you down, and I regret that, but we did try.

Actually there is nothing advanced that I am doing. I don't have a gripe with JRiver support really. I have a gripe with Live TV on JRiver. It has dazzling potential but through my stupidity as a user or a lack of focus on the part JRiver's developers Llive TV, particularly Cable TV, has just never been the robust, resilient, polished application it seems it should be by now.

I am always struck by how much time and effort is spent on support of obscure Set Top Boxes and how much of a 'Red Haired Stepchild" cablecard is. I won't go so far as to say cablecard tuners are the future because clearly they are not but investing programming and support time for the tens of thousands of SiliconDust and Ceton cable tuners strikes me as a lot more mainstream path than making a bunch of Set Top Boxes work well. Jim it is your business, you run it the way you want. I am just one user who happens to take a tone that doesn't tend to ingratiate myself with you and can quickly get my concerns sent to byte heaven on your site. You mention I have not posted in months, maybe that is because my concerns tend to get deleted without so much as another thought.. The direction you take is your own and you have all the right and discretion to delete my posts over there. It is your baby but when someone over here asks a question with which I have direct applicable experience I will if I choose provide feedback.

If you read my post above you can clearly see I use your product, note that I like it a lot and find it valuable. I however have real problems with part of it, and frankly can't understand why you are so gunshy. I watch cable TV nearly everyday. I watched it via JRiver for a year. It was problematic in ways Windows Media Center is not. Since someone asked, I offered my anecdote. Perhaps my configuration or setup might have been the problem. Because you did not like the message; the messenger, the message and perhaps useful enduser input went out the windows with the bath water.

So if it works right and my configuration or setup are the problem I won't know, you wont know, nor the next guy who wants cablecard and Jriver to be a viable alternative to cablecarecard on WMC. I have found for me, I can use JRiver for audio, it is working great, I can continue using WMC for TV and all is well in the world. I will NOT post unsightly content on your site and I pretty much stay out of your hair. I have a fully woking media ecosystem. It is all good. But when someone here asks for personal experience in areas for which I have direct experience, I will describe my experience and take whatever heat that brings.

Just another blank signature.
post #1127 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe you could try again and report any problems you find. We will fix them.

post #1128 of 1133 Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Actually there is nothing advanced that I am doing. I don't have a gripe with JRiver support really. I have a gripe with Live TV on JRiver. It has dazzling potential but through my stupidity as a user or a lack of focus on the part JRiver's developers Llive TV, particularly Cable TV, has just never been the robust, resilient, polished application it seems it should be by now.

I am always struck by how much time and effort is spent on support of obscure Set Top Boxes and how much of a 'Red Haired Stepchild" cablecard is. I won't go so far as to say cablecard tuners are the future because clearly they are not but investing programming and support time for the tens of thousands of SiliconDust and Ceton cable tuners strikes me as a lot more mainstream path than making a bunch of Set Top Boxes work well. Jim it is your business, you run it the way you want. I am just one user who happens to take a tone that doesn't tend to ingratiate myself with you and can quickly get my concerns sent to byte heaven on your site. You mention I have not posted in months, maybe that is because my concerns tend to get deleted without so much as another thought.. The direction you take is your own and you have all the right and discretion to delete my posts over there. It is your baby but when someone over here asks a question with which I have direct applicable experience I will if I choose provide feedback.

If you read my post above you can clearly see I use your product, note that I like it a lot and find it valuable. I however have real problems with part of it, and frankly can't understand why you are so gunshy. I watch cable TV nearly everyday. I watched it via JRiver for a year. It was problematic in ways Windows Media Center is not. Since someone asked, I offered my anecdote. Perhaps my configuration or setup might have been the problem. Because you did not like the message; the messenger, the message and perhaps useful enduser input went out the windows with the bath water.

So if it works right and my configuration or setup are the problem I won't know, you wont know, nor the next guy who wants cablecard and Jriver to be a viable alternative to cablecarecard on WMC. I have found for me, I can use JRiver for audio, it is working great, I can continue using WMC for TV and all is well in the world. I will NOT post unsightly content on your site and I pretty much stay out of your hair. I have a fully woking media ecosystem. It is all good. But when someone here asks for personal experience in areas for which I have direct experience, I will describe my experience and take whatever heat that brings.

I have tried with xbmc and portal and never had success like WMC so not shocked but this program seems to be awesome so i will definitely give it a try!

Mike Clough #24
post #1129 of 1133 Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quick question,

you can copy CD's to flac right from inside the program correct?

Can you rip BluRays from within the program? It seems to crash whenever I try. I have AnyDvd HD and can rip right from there. Is there any benefit to rip from in JRiver?

I am using JRiver 19.

Many options, and I am sure I will have many more questions to ask.
post #1130 of 1133 Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You can rip a CD to FLAC in MC.

You can copy the files from a Blu-ray if you have AnyDVD HD installed. Here's more:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

post #1131 of 1133 Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
I posted this experience on their site and instead of working with me to get a handle on the issue they deleted post.
Sadly I concur with your experience. I have personally gone out of my way to have JRiver MC improve itself and have ended up either having my post deleted or just closed.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to get JRiver to reliably receive and switch between BBC UK radio stations for months. I now find out that the program is currently incapable of reliably receiving these UK stations and I'm located in the UK. Suggestions like I might have a firewall issue seem to ring a bell

For anyone else specifically in the UK, the fix is to NOT use JRiver and to use almost any other Web Tuner application with an additional program. Most of the radio tuner programs available do not support bit perfect audio except of course JRiver so it is necessary to add something else to the mix by way of a program called HiFi-Cable and ASIO Bridge and if your audio card is not ASIO compatible add ASIO4ALL to WMD to make your sound card ASIO compatible. The bottom line is a by using all free programs and utilities you can end up with bit perfect web audio streaming. I am personally using RadioSure and remotely controlling it with Event Ghost. I use the word free loosely as it is donation software.

JRiver makes a big deal of "IS THIS SUPPORT" Please feel free to judge for yourself.

Please read my LOCKED/CLOSED post copied below in case the post is deleted, Inconsistent File Delete Options and draw your own conclusion as the wether this is support.

General consensus was not in Jim's favour and so the post was closed!

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84141.0

Title: Inconsistent File Delete Options
Post by: Beamer on October 04, 2013, 12:15:30 pm Would it be possible to make the delete option consistent across all file types?

Presently we have different delete option formats for TV Files and MKV Files.
Normally this would not be an issue but MC presently reverses them!

Very confusing.

Title: Re: Inconsistent File Delete Options
Post by: Beamer on October 16, 2013, 04:11:53 pm Come on guys (Read Development)

I have taken the trouble to show the inconsistent delete options with a view to making the product better. The very least you can do is acknowledge and state the rational for either keeping things the way they are or agree to review them. After all if you can report that you have fixed a spelling error in a release, fixing this is surely not too much to ask is it?

Post by: JimH on October 16, 2013, 05:12:30 pm I don't see a problem with it. A deletion is important enough a user should probably slow down and read the choices carefully.

Post by: glynor on October 16, 2013, 06:04:55 pm Quote from: JimH on October 16, 2013, 05:12:30 pm
I don't see a problem with it. A deletion is important enough a user should probably slow down and read the choices carefully.

If that were the case, then his first screenshot is backwards (because it defaults "yes, delete it").

Post by: JimH on October 16, 2013, 06:18:24 pm And if he were to read it ...

Post by: glynor on October 16, 2013, 07:24:19 pm Quote from: JimH on October 16, 2013, 06:18:24 pm
And if he were to read it ...

True enough, but I can see how this would be a confusing inconsistency.

You read it the first time, but not necessarily the 30th time. Like with all things, when it comes to UI, the human brain is a habit-forming machine (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/ma...bits.html?_r=0). That's just human nature. The inconsistency between default-delete and default-not-delete forces your brain to make a conscious choice each time, which it will resist with all its might (and pick a habit, essentially at random, or based on whichever you use more often). This leads to commonly picking the wrong choice "accidentally" far more often when you encounter the dialog you use less frequently.

That's why the default should always be the "safer" choice in UI's like this. It does make deleting slower, which is annoying, but it is less annoying than deleting something you wanted even once. But, even if you defaulted "yes", so long as it was consistent, you could form the appropriate "brain turned off, performing rote task" habit.

Post by: glynor on October 16, 2013, 07:26:07 pm PS. If you haven't ever read that article I linked, read it. It is awesome. (And the reason I linked it starts on the second page in...)

Post by: Beamer on October 17, 2013, 02:10:32 am Quote from: JimH on October 16, 2013, 06:18:24 pm

I believe you meant to type "And if he were to read it every time just to make sure he is not confusing Film & TV Recordings deletion menu's"

Come on guys this is a no brainer. Consistency means that the process of deleting all content would be the same and you would not need to read the menu every time. If they must be different , at least put the choice in the same order i.e Deletion last.

Can we put it to a vote?

Thanks Glynor, if it were not for your post I would be thinking I was going out of my mind!

Post by: InflatableMouse on October 17, 2013, 03:17:55 am I agree with the OP here.

Thanks Glynor for jumping in, I couldn't agree more. Consistency is important.

Quote from: JimH on October 16, 2013, 06:18:24 pm

Hope you don't mind me saying this Jim but in all honestly I think this was a little harsh towards someone who takes the time to post a suggestion with screenshots and a proper explanation.

Post by: 6233638 on October 17, 2013, 03:33:21 am This seems like an important change to make.
Another inconsistency that bothers me is that you can't delete files from "Now Playing" unless you use keyboard shortcuts. (shift+delete)
And deletion only remembers your last option when you use Shift+Del. Otherwise it defaults to "Remove from Media Library".

Consistency in your UI/UX is very important.

Last edited by Beamer; 06-13-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #1132 of 1133 Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Beamer,
To be honest, I don't remember the details. But if you will look at the posts on our forum, there are many very negative posts. I don't remove posts that are negative.

I do, however, edit or remove posts when a user becomes rude, belligerent, or excessively pushy. I'm not saying you were. But you're getting close with this kind of remark: "Come on guys this is a no brainer. " Or this: "I have taken the trouble to show the inconsistent delete options with a view to making the product better. The very least you can do is acknowledge and state the rational for either keeping things the way they are or agree to review them." We don't have time to explain or justify every facet of the program.

I'll ignore it for a while, but I won't allow it to continue indefinitely. It suggests that our priorities should align with yours. Sometimes we go out of our way to accommodate a user. Sometimes we don't. It doesn't always depend on the idea. We may agree with you, but not have the time to make a change. Or we may think the cost/benefit ratio is too high.

In any case, if I offended you, I apologize. I mean that.

post #1133 of 1133 Old 06-15-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

JRiver is starting to roll out a hardware product called the JRiver Id (rhymes with hid):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...1506#msg611506

It uses the Intel NUC 2820FYKH. We add 2GB of memory, 120GB SSD, Debian Linux, and a special version of JRiver Media Center for Linux. It's audio only.

We're offering the Id at an introductory price of $295. It will be $395 in a month or so.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page