45Likes

post #1141 of 1362 Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 173
^ When you say your budget is $300 to $450, it's not clear what you currently have, so it's difficult to give you any sort of suggestions. Do you already have a PC you can use for this and the budget is just for things like the sound cards that would be needed or does the budget also need to include purchasing a PC? If it needs to include purchasing a PC AND sound cards to cover enough channels to drive a surround sound system AND a separate stereo system, and quality is important, then I think you're out of luck as just a low end PC will use up the bulk of your budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1362 Old 07-19-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ When you say your budget is $300 to $450, it's not clear what you currently have, so it's difficult to give you any sort of suggestions. Do you already have a PC you can use for this and the budget is just for things like the sound cards that would be needed or does the budget also need to include purchasing a PC? If it needs to include purchasing a PC AND sound cards to cover enough channels to drive a surround sound system AND a separate stereo system, and quality is important, then I think you're out of luck as just a low end PC will use up the bulk of your budget.
No, I already have a laptop and desk top, so the computer part is covered. Might be able to tweak my budget aa needed. I have my music stored on a 2TB drive, and a Asus sound card. My budget could go double that!
post #1143 of 1362 Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does JRiver Media Center support recording HD from Dish Network with a Hauppauge HDPVR??
post #1144 of 1362 Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post
Does JRiver Media Center support recording HD from Dish Network with a Hauppauge HDPVR??
Not sure but I'm using the Hauppauge and recording with Directv.
post #1145 of 1362 Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Not sure but I'm using the Hauppauge and recording with Directv.
So just to be clear..... you are using an HDPVR and JRiver Media Center to record DirectTV HD content?
How do you configure the channel changing function of the Direct TV box??
post #1146 of 1362 Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I do have a Directv PVR but I don't use it to record - all shows are recorded to my internal hard drives on my PC. You need a windows media center remote control and IR blaster that is connected from the PC to the directv box. There is a setup wizard in JRiver to learn the commands (numbers) that allows JRiver to change channels. Then you can use JRiver to schedule the recordings just like a PVR. It's not the easiest thing to setup but once you get it done it works well.
post #1147 of 1362 Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well I do have a Directv PVR but I don't use it to record - all shows are recorded to my internal hard drives on my PC. You need a windows media center remote control and IR blaster that is connected from the PC to the directv box. There is a setup wizard in JRiver to learn the commands (numbers) that allows JRiver to change channels. Then you can use JRiver to schedule the recordings just like a PVR. It's not the easiest thing to setup but once you get it done it works well.
Ok Great! Info!
I have been a long time Windows Media Center user. (About 9 years now) But the Hauppauge HDPVR does Not integrate well with WMC. That's why I was hoping JRiver might work better with the HDPVR. I could never get the channel changing working correctly with my Dish receiver with WMC. I already use an IR blaster with a media center remote with WMC. I will give JRiver a shot. I just wanted to see if anyone else had got the HDPVR to work with JRiver. Thanks again for the info!
post #1148 of 1362 Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey guys,

Starting to get the hang of jriver. Love the EQ options. I am using jriver on my HTPC with HDMI out to my Denon x4000. I have bitstreaming turned off so I can use the DSP functions, but I have a question. What should I be using for volume options? Disabled, system, application, or internal? When I boost some frequencies in the EQ, it gives me a net gain so I am turning down the preamp slider to prevent clipping, but that is bringing down the overall volume so I am not calibrated to reference anymore. Any ideas about what the proper setting is here?
post #1149 of 1362 Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkwaz View Post
What should I be using for volume options? Disabled, system, application, or internal?

If you're using WASAPI (direct connection) I believe the proper setting is Volume Disabled. You control volume on you receiver. Also, bitstreaming is only for DD/DTS and other multichannel codecs. That way your Denon decodes audio and it doesn't effect your EQ settings for PCM audio.
post #1150 of 1362 Old 07-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post
If you're using WASAPI (direct connection) I believe the proper setting is Volume Disabled. You control volume on you receiver. Also, bitstreaming is only for DD/DTS and other multichannel codecs. That way your Denon decodes audio and it doesn't effect your EQ settings for PCM audio.
Thanks! And what do you mean by EQ settings for PCM audio? Are you talking about EQ settings in jriver?
post #1151 of 1362 Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkwaz View Post
Thanks! And what do you mean by EQ settings for PCM audio? Are you talking about EQ settings in jriver?

I wanted to say that you can leave bitsreaming (HDMI) ticked. Your EQ settings won't have effect on DD/DTS audio, only on MP3, M4A, FLAC files. Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #1152 of 1362 Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post
I wanted to say that you can leave bitsreaming (HDMI) ticked. Your EQ settings won't have effect on DD/DTS audio, only on MP3, M4A, FLAC files. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Interesting point. Not sure if that is true or not. However, I have not been bitstreaming because I am wanting the eq to be in use for dts-ma listening as well because I am trying to add a little midbass boost.

I have a question about reference level with jriver. I have found a lot of discussion but no real conclusion as far as what is the best method for calibrating to reference. I would think you would set volume to internal volume and set it to 100%, or choose disabled volume, and in both cases set the AVR volume to 0. Then play the jriver test tones and set them to 83 with the internal volume slider and be done. Does this make sense? Can anyone point me to a practical guide on doing this with an AVR in the signal chain?
post #1153 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 159
So after doing a bit more research wrt JRiver I am now interested in using JRiver in place of both my receiver, going straight into my amps, and also replacing my BluRay player. I want to have the ability to stream music to my 2-channel setup in my living room, and have a full 5.4 theater setup in my theater room that will be used solely for movies, mostly BluRays. I also want the control of EQ'ing my LCR's and subs independently, and possibly use JRiver as an active crossover for a future project.

With that being said, Let me see if I got this right on the hardware side of things: I know that I would need a sound card added to either my Acer Desk Top or Samsung laptop. It would need of have 5.1 outputs, but, I am unsure how to get the signal to my 2-channel setup in a different room? Do I need another sound card for that? I have all of the existing amplifiers. I will need a BluRay drive, and software to convert to MKV, as well as some type of multi-channel DAC, right?

If some of you more knowledgable JRiver gurus could help me figure out how to do the above and use JRiver in place of a receiver and/or pre /pro please chime in! Thanks in advanced for anyone who takes the time to respond!
post #1154 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 134
can jriver record live TV to a network folder? Such as a NAS?

wmc can't do this, and I want to know if jriver can... since I prefer to have my media centrally located.
post #1155 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
So after doing a bit more research wrt JRiver I am now interested in using JRiver in place of both my receiver, going straight into my amps, and also replacing my BluRay player. I want to have the ability to stream music to my 2-channel setup in my living room, and have a full 5.4 theater setup in my theater room that will be used solely for movies, mostly BluRays. I also want the control of EQ'ing my LCR's and subs independently, and possibly use JRiver as an active crossover for a future project.

With that being said, Let me see if I got this right on the hardware side of things: I know that I would need a sound card added to either my Acer Desk Top or Samsung laptop. It would need of have 5.1 outputs, but, I am unsure how to get the signal to my 2-channel setup in a different room? Do I need another sound card for that? I have all of the existing amplifiers. I will need a BluRay drive, and software to convert to MKV, as well as some type of multi-channel DAC, right?

If some of you more knowledgable JRiver gurus could help me figure out how to do the above and use JRiver in place of a receiver and/or pre /pro please chime in! Thanks in advanced for anyone who takes the time to respond!
Martycool - I am doing all these things with a MCh DAC and 15 separate channels. You can browse the Savoy build thread for more info.
post #1156 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
can jriver record live TV to a network folder? Such as a NAS?

wmc can't do this, and I want to know if jriver can... since I prefer to have my media centrally located.
Hisma - yes you can do this and I record to my internal hard drives but you can also record to NAS devices such as the Synology Diskstations which I use.
post #1157 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hisma - yes you can do this and I record to my internal hard drives but you can also record to NAS devices such as the Synology Diskstations which I use.
That is good to know.

Do you have to be inside the app for recordings to take place? Or can it run a service in the background that automatically records shows as long as the PC is on?

I am thinking of seriously ditching XBMC and replacing it with JRiver. JRiver natively supports madvr, and for that reason alone it is superior to xbmc. I'm just not a fan of the built-in video rendering in xbmc.

One last thing... can you change key mappings for mce remote? I tried the other day and for some reason it seemed options were very limited (I've only tested live tv so far). For instance, pressing "stop" does not actually stop live TV. It does nothing.
post #1158 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/hom...ro-with-a-htpc

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #1159 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Do you have to be inside the app for recordings to take place? Or can it run a service in the background that automatically records shows as long as the PC is on?
A background service will run that will automatically record shows and will wake the PC from sleep if necessary.

Quote:
One last thing... can you change key mappings for mce remote? I tried the other day and for some reason it seemed options were very limited (I've only tested live tv so far). For instance, pressing "stop" does not actually stop live TV. It does nothing.
I don't have the MCE remote. Many use their Android or iOS device for control these days. You can download JRiver and use it for 30 days without having to buy it. This will let you check out key mappings and other things.
post #1160 of 1362 Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
A background service will run that will automatically record shows and will wake the PC from sleep if necessary.

I don't have the MCE remote. Many use their Android or iOS device for control these days. You can download JRiver and use it for 30 days without having to buy it. This will let you check out key mappings and other things.
Thanks for the info. I am already trialing it, but I haven't even tried to put it through it's paces yet... only used it sparsely, and found it a bit cumbersome to set it, so haven't given it much of a chance. However, I started playing with it again over the past couple days, and I'm growing to like it.
post #1161 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I noticed when EQ'ing my Left and Right channels individually it affects the Center. I would like to EQ the Left and Right separately so it hasn't influenced the Center, is this possible? Each speaker is selected by itself in the Channels column. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Audio Device set to ASio and Bitstreaming set to none. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
post #1162 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo24 View Post
Hi,

I noticed when EQ'ing my Left and Right channels individually it affects the Center. I would like to EQ the Left and Right separately so it hasn't influenced the Center, is this possible? Each speaker is selected by itself in the Channels column. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Audio Device set to ASio and Bitstreaming set to none. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
How many channels are you outputting in Output Format?
post #1163 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
How many are you outputting in Output Format?
I'm outputting 5.1 channels. Okay I see where i went wrong. All good now, Thanks.

Last edited by mikeo24; 07-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
post #1164 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
We will be starting to release early builds of MC20 in a few weeks. At the beginning of each cycle, we offer an early bird price. It's $18.98 until August 10. More here:

Windows:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90654.0

Mac:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90671.0

Thanks very much for your support.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1165 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Having bought JRiver in March of this year and now there's an upgrade that will cost $19 (for the next 11 days *sigh*)... is less than ideal.

(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1166 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
18 has served me well so I may stick with it. I don't know what the solid benefits that I would "need" if I go to 20. I am guessing that even if I wanted to, I could not go to 20. I assume that I would have to buy 19 first. Is that correct?

It ain't easy being green.

post #1167 of 1362 Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
18 has served me well so I may stick with it. I don't know what the solid benefits that I would "need" if I go to 20. I am guessing that even if I wanted to, I could not go to 20. I assume that I would have to buy 19 first. Is that correct?
Any previous version of MC from MC10 on is eligible to upgrade. The instructions explain what to do.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center

or
post #1168 of 1362 Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Having been tinkering with JRiver since v16, these gripes pop up every year. I myself have purchased every upgrade since 16 and I haven't even installed 19 due to real life stuff demanding more of my time. I'm guessing that I will be buying the upgrade to 20 as well. These guys don't work for free, and they've been very quick to respond to questions that I've had, and they even implemented one of my Library Import ideas in the past.
post #1169 of 1362 Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do any JRiver media center users by any chance use a Soundgraph Imon in their rig? Does it display info about what's playing properly? Thinking of getting one purely for the 'bling' factor and having a mechanical vol knob as i am running the analog audio outs directly to an power amp and do not always have a monitor or tv on.
post #1170 of 1362 Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post
Do any JRiver media center users by any chance use a Soundgraph Imon in their rig? Does it display info about what's playing properly? Thinking of getting one purely for the 'bling' factor and having a mechanical vol knob as i am running the analog audio outs directly to an power amp and do not always have a monitor or tv on.
Yes, I have Imon but haven't had it connected in years. The VFD display doesn't work with JRiver without some additional software. There are instructions on JRiver's forum on how to set it up. I think the display is really to small to be much use.

Do you have an Android or iOS phone/tablet? It is much easier to use that to control JRiver than having to use a mechanical volume knob. I output directly to my amps and don't always have the screen on. I just use JRiver's Gizmo app on my Android phone for control.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page