4Likes

post #1171 of 1200 Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post
Do any JRiver media center users by any chance use a Soundgraph Imon in their rig? Does it display info about what's playing properly? Thinking of getting one purely for the 'bling' factor and having a mechanical vol knob as i am running the analog audio outs directly to an power amp and do not always have a monitor or tv on.
I do and wrote a plugin for it. It's posted in the J-River plugin forum.

-tm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1200 Old 07-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
D@mn! You're a local guy, what part of town are you in? I'd sure love to see how that Imon works before i buy one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millst View Post
I do and wrote a plugin for it. It's posted in the J-River plugin forum.

-tm
post #1173 of 1200 Old 07-31-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
Having been tinkering with JRiver since v16, these gripes pop up every year. I myself have purchased every upgrade since 16 and I haven't even installed 19 due to real life stuff demanding more of my time. I'm guessing that I will be buying the upgrade to 20 as well. These guys don't work for free, and they've been very quick to respond to questions that I've had, and they even implemented one of my Library Import ideas in the past.
If I had purchased JRiver a while a go I wouldn't mind but having bought it 4 months ago and now there's a pay update... well that doesn't sit well with me. I know it's my option to update it. It just hits a little too close to modern video games i.e. brand new $60 game, yay! A couple months later $20 DLC... ugh I know it's not quite the same and I know they work hard on updating I just bought 19 at the wrong time.

Hey for JRiver 20 can we get an updated OSD? Or an official subtitle downloader that lets us pick multiple versions (the plug in one works fine most of the time but often it'll get the wrong subs or won't find any at all)?

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1174 of 1200 Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, that all being said, having been around since v16, I haven't seen a new version launch with anything that I HAD to have either. I'm guessing that since I haven't really gotten to play with 19, that 19 would suit me fine, maybe until 21 for all I know, but I'm fine with buying a 20 license at a discount now because it's a good product.
post #1175 of 1200 Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Can JRiver utilize the FM radio tuner of tv devices??
post #1176 of 1200 Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post
D@mn! You're a local guy, what part of town are you in? I'd sure love to see how that Imon works before i buy one!!!
I'm in South Scottsdale, but I'm not actually running that plugin since I have a very customized version for my setup.

The one that's out there is configurable. You can choose to have the track title scroll once and stop or continuously scroll. The track information itself isn't configurable (basically artist/title for music and title for movies). If there is no track, you can choose to display either the volume or a clock.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...opic=63181.200

-tm
post #1177 of 1200 Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What makes me angry is that they don't tell you what the upgrade would be. We should make informed choice which is hard if they don't provide the information.
I personally I am not happy with the layout of MC 19. Should be more simplified and most of the options in the menue tree should be removed.
I have also noticed that the Video is much better on other Programs such as PowerDVD which support 4K. MC is great for Audio but they should raise the bar for the Video Functions as well.
post #1178 of 1200 Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post
What makes me angry is that they don't tell you what the upgrade would be. We should make informed choice which is hard if they don't provide the information.
I personally I am not happy with the layout of MC 19. Should be more simplified and most of the options in the menue tree should be removed.
I have also noticed that the Video is much better on other Programs such as PowerDVD which support 4K. MC is great for Audio but they should raise the bar for the Video Functions as well.
Jeez, that post is pure rubbish.

They post an extensive list of all changes they put into an update. Their Red October video processing that utilizes madvr is the best available on a PC. The fact you compare it to Powerdvd speaks volumes: and those volumes say you don't know what you're talking about, lol.
baniels likes this.
post #1179 of 1200 Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here's how we work:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0

kamenoff,
You can simplify the user interface if you wish. Check the wiki topic here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Simplified_Interface
Mike_WI likes this.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #1180 of 1200 Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

We have both Mac and Linux versions now. We've used the Linux version to build a hardware product, based on the Intel NUC 2820.
JRiver ID

post #1181 of 1200 Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 PM

I have a question about accessing a NAS drive. I just replaced my ASUS router with the new ASUS RT-AC87R router and I can no longer see or play my files on jRiver Media Center. I cannot rip cds to the NAS drive now and cannot access them from my home theater. Is there something I need to do to set things up again with the new router? I have unplugged everything (modem, router, NAS, & switch) and rebooted everything as well. I just want it to work as smooth as it did before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #1182 of 1200 Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Jeez, that post is pure rubbish.

They post an extensive list of all changes they put into an update. Their Red October video processing that utilizes madvr is the best available on a PC. The fact you compare it to Powerdvd speaks volumes: and those volumes say you don't know what you're talking about, lol.
As concern the video processing I use Red October but I trust my eyes as well. PowerDVD gives me (at least for me and now) better picture quality, sharper and clearer.

As concern the update when JR 19 was released I specificly asked what the changes would be and I received no answer. I checked now where the updates were listed. There are posts for for What would like and What is possible to be implemented. There are ONLY two listed features..if this makes you upgrade/ update I am happy for you. Most if not all companies who offer upgrade list all features available, not imaginary.
It is true that J River is already great SW but how the business operates is far from desirable.
post #1183 of 1200 Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post
It is true that J River is already great SW but how the business operates is far from desirable.
I fundamentally disagree. If you're talking about their upgrade cycle, there's nothing forcing you to upgrade. I have versions (bought and paid for) of 16 through 19 and to be quite honest with you, I rarely use JRMC, but I also know that the discounts they offer early in a new build are worth the pittance they ask for about a year's worth of new product. If I'm happy with the current product, I can stick with it. For under $20 once a year at the shot of an improved software experience? I'm game for that.
post #1184 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So does anyone know a way to play FLACs gaplessly on the Opppo 95? I'm using JRiver MC19 and navigating via the Oppo over the LAN. Using their default 24 bit DAC DLNA Server.
post #1185 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Can jriver organize TV shows by season?

I set up jriver to scan my library, and when it came back I was very disappointed. It just lists each video file individually. Yes, it recognizes the artwork and name, but it made no effort to organize the shows neatly by season.
post #1186 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I used to have the Oppo 93. The only way I know of making that happen would be if you used the Oppo as a DLNA renderer. Unless there have been firmware upgrades on the Oppo that enabled this since I had it, this was the only way. I accomplished this use Foobar2k as the media server, playing "to" the Oppo in a constant stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore2003 View Post
So does anyone know a way to play FLACs gaplessly on the Opppo 95? I'm using JRiver MC19 and navigating via the Oppo over the LAN. Using their default 24 bit DAC DLNA Server.
post #1187 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Can jriver organize TV shows by season?

I set up jriver to scan my library, and when it came back I was very disappointed. It just lists each video file individually. Yes, it recognizes the artwork and name, but it made no effort to organize the shows neatly by season.
Are you using Theatre view?
post #1188 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Are you using Theatre view?
Yes, this is in theater view.

I want something similar to XBMC.

List the shows by title. You click the show you want, and then it lists the seasons. Click the season you want, it lists individual shows, and displays cover art, etc.

What I had in theater view was simply a list of all files that looked like a poster. I couldn't believe how bad it was after using xbmc for years. promptly uninstalled it, and that was AFTER paying $50 for it (stupid me).
post #1189 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 72
Quote:

List the shows by title. You click the show you want, and then it lists the seasons. Click the season you want, it lists individual shows, and displays cover art, etc.

What I had in theater view was simply a list of all files that looked like a poster. I couldn't believe how bad it was after using xbmc for years. promptly uninstalled it, and that was AFTER paying $50 for it (stupid me).
I'm on holiday, but back tomorrow happy to get you started. Will have a look sometime tomorrow afternoon. There are various views accessed from the TV Shows button. If you don't get someone else along before tomorrow we'll see what we can do.
post #1190 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
I used to have the Oppo 93. The only way I know of making that happen would be if you used the Oppo as a DLNA renderer. Unless there have been firmware upgrades on the Oppo that enabled this since I had it, this was the only way. I accomplished this use Foobar2k as the media server, playing "to" the Oppo in a constant stream.
Thanks for the reply. Don't think I can use the Oppo 95 as a renderer, only a player. It doesn't come up in MC as a play "to" device. I know the Oppo 103/105 is a DNLA compliant renderer/player and also does gapless FLAC. Perhaps upgrading to the 105 is the easiest way; I would get a nice USB DAC and HDMI input as well, but then no DSD via USB or DoP for that manner. Decisions.....
post #1191 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

Once you're sure the media files have the appropriate tags for series name, season number, episode number, episode name, etc. you would need to create a view that makes use of this info to present the shows in the way you want. The easiest way to look at the tags is to wonder over to the standard view and look at your list of files there as you can see a list view with columns for any tag items you want to see.

You'll get a LOT more help if you post on JRiver's board (they call it Interact - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php) in the subforum for the version you're using as that's where lots of JRiver users (and the development team) talk about the product.

JRiver can be very tedious to get configured the way you want. Once that's done, it's a very nice product and well worth the price. Don't give up yet.
steelman1991 likes this.
post #1192 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Once you're sure the media files have the appropriate tags for series name, season number, episode number, episode name, etc. you would need to create a view that makes use of this info to present the shows in the way you want. The easiest way to look at the tags is to wonder over to the standard view and look at your list of files there as you can see a list view with columns for any tag items you want to see.

You'll get a LOT more help if you post on JRiver's board (they call it Interact - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php) in the subforum for the version you're using as that's where lots of JRiver users (and the development team) talk about the product.

JRiver can be very tedious to get configured the way you want. Once that's done, it's a very nice product and well worth the price. Don't give up yet.
I see. So there was additional configuration involved to get the "view" the way I would want it.

That's another thing I just didn't care for. I found the configuration un-intuitive, and for a product that I paid money for, I found it a bit ridiculous that I had to dig through forums to find answers.

To my knowledge, I could not find a "one stop setup" page that explains how to set up every major aspect of the software, step-by-step. I found the wiki, but the way it's organized, it's as though you need to know what you are looking for before-hand, instead of having a guided walk-through.

I use xbmc, and I'm definitely an advanced user. I have an sql backend to organize my media, use mpc-hc as an exernal player, etc. So I don't think I classify as a total newb.

From all the frustration I am having, I definitely see potential in me liking jriver, if I can get all the functionality I need. Obviously, it's fantastic for music, and I love that it supports madvr natively. The theater view looks nice too.

If there's a post that sums up where I can find all the configuration info I need to do to have a fully functional media center, that'd be enough, honestly. I am smart enough to follow a written guide, but I did not like how I had to google search and dig around to set up a program I just paid money for.

I'd be happy to replace xbmc, mainly b/c xbmc doesn't support madvr and doesn't seem to ever intend on doing so.
post #1193 of 1200 Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I see. So there was additional configuration involved to get the "view" the way I would want it.

That's another thing I just didn't care for. I found the configuration un-intuitive, and for a product that I paid money for, I found it a bit ridiculous that I had to dig through forums to find answers.

To my knowledge, I could not find a "one stop setup" page that explains how to set up every major aspect of the software, step-by-step. I found the wiki, but the way it's organized, it's as though you need to know what you are looking for before-hand, instead of having a guided walk-through.

I use xbmc, and I'm definitely an advanced user. I have an sql backend to organize my media, use mpc-hc as an exernal player, etc. So I don't think I classify as a total newb.

From all the frustration I am having, I definitely see potential in me liking jriver, if I can get all the functionality I need. Obviously, it's fantastic for music, and I love that it supports madvr natively. The theater view looks nice too.

If there's a post that sums up where I can find all the configuration info I need to do to have a fully functional media center, that'd be enough, honestly. I am smart enough to follow a written guide, but I did not like how I had to google search and dig around to set up a program I just paid money for.

I'd be happy to replace xbmc, mainly b/c xbmc doesn't support madvr and doesn't seem to ever intend on doing so.
You aren't going to find a single post that tells you how to configure JRMC exactly the way you want to use it. Part of the reason for that is that JRiver can be configured in so many different ways that it can be tuned to make just about anyone happy in the end. That flexibility comes at a price - there's a learning curve involved. If you're willing to accept that and put some work into it, the rewards are there. And as I said, your best bet to get the help you need is to go over to their forum, do some searches, and ask questions if you don't find what you need. There's basically one thread here on AVS that fields JRiver questions versus a bunch of forums with a lot of posts in each that handle JRiver at Interact. I'm not trying to get rid of you, but rather point you to where you can get the answers you're looking for.

It's a great product, but there's some assembly required.
post #1194 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM

Liked: 0
I'm also new to JRiver and want to say that i feel like Hisma.
There is not really a documentation and the wiki is more then poor and allot is outdated.
I'm really a Googler - before i register in a forum and wait for an answerer (that you often don't get)
i Google hours, search forums or try try try.
When it comes to JRiver there is not much to find there in the wild.
I'm a PC freak since Commodore and do all kind of things (php, cat, arduino, debian web server...).
But with JRiver i feel stupid cause i can't figure out how to do the simplest things cause the
documentation (examples) is almost not existing.
To no problem i have i found an answer in the forum and the forum structure there is horrible.
I tried xbmc several times the last years, but it can't do what i am looking for. It was great
back then on my xbox for playing movies in the network...

I have the feeling that JRiver is what i'm looking for, but needing days to figure out how to
do simple things cause there are no examples?
Why is xbmc so popular and JRiver not? There must be a reason.
Is it really just that people don't want to pay for something - even if it is much better?

Last edited by MrGlasspoole; Yesterday at 01:52 AM.
post #1195 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlasspoole View Post
Is it really just that people don't want to pay for something - even if it is much better?

This is your answer. I purchased the upgrade to version 20 and plan to continue using this powerful media player. I switched from iTunes over a year ago and could never go back to using anything else.
post #1196 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
JRiver is not for everyone. It is aimed at the audiophile and to some extent the videophile market. It is endlessly customizable but can make you crazy sometimes when it doesn't do the simplest things. MC 19 is the result of many, many years of development. It is sort of on its own wavelength. It does work out of the box, but it may not satisfy that way. You have to be willing to tinker a bit. I have tried it several time to use it as my primary TV playback system for all video including live cable TV. It does not do protected content but that is understandable as only WMC does that.

For audio JRiver just works for me with little intervention. I have my Flac files on a 3 TB external drive plugged into my Netgear router. With Gizmo I can use my phone and access those files using DLNA and a JRiver. I have JRiver Media Server start automatically and I don't even see it, just Gizmo on the phone... Video on JRiver particularly TV, has some major plusses and some major minuses, in the past I would use for awhile for TV and then get frustrated.

However, I have always come back to JRiver because the idea of madVR rendering of live TV is so appealing with my 92" display. Usually at some point I will get frustrated with Live TV because guide navigation and usability is not up to WMC standards.

I am back to JRiver for Live TV only when watching long content where I am not surfing around. I find that with an NVidia GTX 750Ti it puts up a very impressive image. Surfing and channel changing is not anywhere near as robust as WMC. With WMC you can change channels all day long for weeks on end, go in and out of the guide endlessly and you will likely not cause WMC to hang or shutdown. JRiver MC is more iffy and twice so with madVR.

In WMC you can type the channel number in the guide and that will bring the cursor to that channel meaning you don't have to scroll through hundreds of items if you don't want. It is a sort of "jump to shortcut". The JRiver guide does not do that. Also you don't have the arrows above and below the guide for scrolling the guide with the mouse as in WMC. The JRiver guide does not scroll in a pretty way which is cosmetic but it is important when you have hundreds of channels. When a channel is displayed you can type a channel in but you can't type in a channel with subchannel number. So 8.1 or 26.2 is out. You must go to an adjacent channel 8 first then up channel to go 8.1, 8.2 if you are coming from 13.1. I think this comes from an OTA design originally. These are all small things but when you channel up or down from your remote and JRiver hangs that adds to the unpolished feel of the guide.

JRiver is a constantly moving target and its emphasis is heavily on audio. I really wish they would make the TV developers spend a few weeks in WMC with a combo of OTA and Cablecard channels using its interface and guide and then incorporate the best ideas of WMC into the JRivers TV interface. It seems to me that is the only way to get the WAF where it needs to be. I have found they are very sensitive to criticism and since video is not there bread and butter they tend to want to shoot the messenger.

I just upgraded to the MC 20 license. These version upgrades are cheap I just paid around $20. I understand why a lot of people bridle at a new version upgrade charge when there are no features specified. I don't personally look at it that way. I am paying for ongoing development and my hope springs eternal that TV in JR will get the polish that its potential deserves. The licensing is very fair considering you can install on pretty much all the PCs in your home. JR continues to invest in their development team. They have a talented bunch over there but they do things in a way that has worked for them for thirty years. They are on their timetable and what changes they pursue is largely driven by their audio emphasis. A lot of it is very esoteric stuff and it is bewildering to me they don't make live TV as smooth as glass but it is their baby and audiophiles make up the bulk of their user base. Those of us who want JR to be the ultimate live TV environment are likely to remain unsatisfied no matter what. I really enjoyed the look of Monday Night Football through JR last night and I use JR for audio. In the end I get my money's worth no question but I would gladly pay more if the TV part was what it could be.
mikela likes this.

Just another blank signature.
post #1197 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

gtgray,
If you will post this on our TV board, we'll see what we can do. Thanks.

Quote:
In WMC you can type the channel number in the guide and that will bring the cursor to that channel meaning you don't have to scroll through hundreds of items if you don't want. It is a sort of "jump to shortcut". The JRiver guide does not do that. Also you don't have the arrows above and below the guide for scrolling the guide with the mouse as in WMC. The JRiver guide does not scroll in a pretty way which is cosmetic but it is important when you have hundreds of channels. When a channel is displayed you can type a channel in but you can't type in a channel with subchannel number. So 8.1 or 26.2 is out. You must go to an adjacent channel 8 first then up channel to go 8.1, 8.2 if you are coming from 13.1. I think this comes from an OTA design originally. These are all small things but when you channel up or down from your remote and JRiver hangs that adds to the unpolished feel of the guide.

Last edited by jriver; Yesterday at 10:46 AM.
post #1198 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
gtgray,
If you will post this on our TV board, we'll see what we can do. Thanks.
Yes I definitely concur with the obstacles I encounter watching TV through JRiver. Music and blurays it works great....TV, not so much.
post #1199 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Yeah, the TV functionality definitely still needs a fair amount of work to be a true contender to replace Windows Media Center.
post #1200 of 1200 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yeah, the TV functionality definitely still needs a fair amount of work to be a true contender to replace Windows Media Center.
I guess this is my problem, as I want an all-in-one media center solution, and TV watching makes up about 80% of my media viewing.

I posted this question in the jriver forum, and a dev did answer, but his answer was essentially "it works for me, I don't know why it doesn't work for you".

I would like an extensive list of hotkeys for live TV. All the hotkeys you'd need, such as a guide button, recorded TV button, record TV button, etc, and all of these hotkeys need to be CUSTOMIZABLE. That way, I can program my media center remote the way I would like it.

Using my wmc remote, I can only get about half the keys to do what I want. Guide button doesn't work, stop doesn't work, recorded TV doesn't work. And when I try to change the hotkeys in options, I have almost no options for live TV hotkeys.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys

You can see how sparse the live TV hotkeys are.

This is really basic stuff here. It shouldn't be difficult at all to incorporate. If I could use my media center remote the same way I can in wmc & xbmc, it'd go a long way.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page