AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge540 View Post
Hi,
So i just finished building an Asrock Q1900-ITX with the intention of running it as a client with Jriver installed. I've run into a problem of Theater View not working. It gives the error of "Error starting Direct3D engine - adapter 0 not capable of windowed mode". i see a few others have had this error and they are told to update the graphics driver.
I am running Jriver 19.0.163 and all the latest Asrock/Intel drivers/utilities. I have Win7 64bit.
any ideas? or will this not work?
I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not - but when I was installing new graphic drives I ran into a similar (if not the same) error message. I had JRiver set to start automatically on boot up, and when I installed new graphic/video card drivers, the system did the auto restart to finish driver installation, but it started JRiver program before the driver install finished. That brought up the error. I had to boot into safe mode to be able to stop JRiver program from loading in order to let graphic drivers finish installing. Once the driver update finished I did not have any other problems.
IgorZep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1467 Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I inadvertently unloaded my library( Music, picture, and movies) trying to add some movies from a few of my hard drives, are they're completely lost?

Also I think I successfully changed the Drive where my music where originally being ripped to ( Local C drive),Went to options File Locator, I see it says the M Music drive ( I named it that) I've assigned it to. Would that be correct? I guess best thing is to test this, but I have to format the Music drive correctly before for transferring any music to it. Something about it being Dynamic or something similar.

Djoel
post #1443 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Did you try restoring a backup? MC makes them automatically.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #1444 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

No, I was trying to add movies from my hhd, I never been able to. I doubt I have space to back them up, I wouldn't try that.

Djoel
post #1445 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Cascading dither

If you cascade multiple dither levels don't you increase the RMS noise bt 6dB each time?

I am not sure that adding a dither plugin would fix a modulating noise floor either hence the request to enable or disable the dither in JRiver and add a single dither level via a user selectable dither plugin.
post #1446 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not - but when I was installing new graphic drives I ran into a similar (if not the same) error message. I had JRiver set to start automatically on boot up, and when I installed new graphic/video card drivers, the system did the auto restart to finish driver installation, but it started JRiver program before the driver install finished. That brought up the error. I had to boot into safe mode to be able to stop JRiver program from loading in order to let graphic drivers finish installing. Once the driver update finished I did not have any other problems.
ive tried updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers but it says my hardware is not sufficient. Is it even possible this board does not have the Intel HD graphics installed somehow? It only lists the standard VGA graphics adapter. im sorry for not keeping with the jriver theme here but id like to use this program on this client, if it works.
thanks
eric
post #1447 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ive tried updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers but it says my hardware is not sufficient. Is it even possible this board does not have the Intel HD graphics installed somehow? It only lists the standard VGA graphics adapter. im sorry for not keeping with the jriver theme here but id like to use this program on this client, if it works.
thanks
eric
That sounds like your problem. Can you go to Control Panel >Device Manager> Display Adapters and see what it shows. If not what you should have, try updating drivers from there - (although downloading the correct drivers from the Asus website is usually the best method).
post #1448 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds like your problem. Can you go to Control Panel >Device Manager> Display Adapters and see what it shows. If not what you should have, try updating drivers from there - (although downloading the correct drivers from the Asus website is usually the best method).
attached is a screen shot of the device mngr. obviously this must be the problem. im guessing the only recourse is returning this board and getting a new one? I do not find a graphics driver on the asrock website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	319714  
post #1449 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
attached is a screen shot of the device mngr. obviously this must be the problem. im guessing the only recourse is returning this board and getting a new one? I do not find a graphics driver on the asrock website.
Right click on it, and try "update driver software". Or go to Asus site and get the (VGA) driver for your board http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900...load&os=Win764
post #1450 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Right click on it, and try "update driver software". Or go to Asus site and get the (VGA) driver for your board http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900...load&os=Win764
I swear i did the VGA driver update but evidently i did not. I did it, and everything works great now. Thanks huge! looks like this will work after all.
Thanks CountryBumkin!
post #1451 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, CountryBumkin.

Edge540, thanks for your patience and perseverance.

post #1452 of 1467 Old 10-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1972 View Post
If you cascade multiple dither levels don't you increase the RMS noise bt 6dB each time?
No
post #1453 of 1467 Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

JRiver Media Center can now act as a sound device driver. This lets you route any Windows sounds through MC so you can take advantage of MC's DSP. Requires version 20.0.27 or higher, now at the top of the MC20 board.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.msg637430#msg637430
Bluescale likes this.

post #1454 of 1467 Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyone in NYC that can help brother who's down and out all things JRMC

Just PM me and will discuss compensation, hopefully pizza and beer would suffice

Thanks

Dan
post #1455 of 1467 Old 10-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post
JRiver Media Center can now act as a sound device driver. This lets you route any Windows sounds through MC so you can take advantage of MC's DSP. Requires version 20.0.27 or higher, now at the top of the MC20 board.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.msg637430#msg637430
Nicely done. For folks without a fully functional PEQ or a processor that doesn't do bass management correctly (like what I had previously), this is a huge deal. Steam with full room correction FTW!
post #1456 of 1467 Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

post #1457 of 1467 Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 847
I'd like to edit a playlist of songs to have short segments play. I'm thinking the best way to do this short of actually cutting up the songs - is to use particles. I googled particles and came across an article in the J-River wiki on how to do it through the right click menu but I don't seem to have that menu option.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

The files I'd like to modify for playback are flac and mp3 files.
I have J-River 18.0.212. What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	338153  

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #1458 of 1467 Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That's odd. This is how it appears in 20.0.27.

I assume you've tried other tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'd like to edit a playlist of songs to have short segments play. I'm thinking the best way to do this short of actually cutting up the songs - is to use particles. I googled particles and came across an article in the J-River wiki on how to do it through the right click menu but I don't seem to have that menu option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	particles.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	338802  
post #1459 of 1467 Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'd like to edit a playlist of songs to have short segments play. I'm thinking the best way to do this short of actually cutting up the songs - is to use particles. I googled particles and came across an article in the J-River wiki on how to do it through the right click menu but I don't seem to have that menu option. The files I'd like to modify for playback are flac and mp3 files. I have J-River 18.0.212. What am I missing?
The official name is JRiver. It was actually changed a few years ago to make it easier to find when searching on forums. Before the change it was J. River.

I opened up my 18.0.212 and have the same problem with the stack menu gone. However, if you select the files from an Audio View instead of the Playlist, the stack menu is available. You could use the demo of JRiver 20 to make the particles, too.

Unless you permanently want the clips, it is easier to just modify the playback range for the existing files since you already have them in a Playlist. Otherwise you need to add the Particles to the Playlist and delete the original files from the Playlist.

Add a column in your view for Playback Range. Shift+Left Click in the Playback Range cell and enter your playback range. Down arrow to the next song. It takes just a minute or so to setup your entire playlist with playback ranges.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Playlist.PNG
Views:	491
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	338810  
Archaea likes this.
post #1460 of 1467 Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anyone else having problems bitstreaming with a GeForce GTX 970 GPU?

Can't seem to get it working the GPU supports it.
post #1461 of 1467 Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
The official name is JRiver. It was actually changed a few years ago to make it easier to find when searching on forums. Before the change it was J. River.

I opened up my 18.0.212 and have the same problem with the stack menu gone. However, if you select the files from an Audio View instead of the Playlist, the stack menu is available. You could use the demo of JRiver 20 to make the particles, too.

Unless you permanently want the clips, it is easier to just modify the playback range for the existing files since you already have them in a Playlist. Otherwise you need to add the Particles to the Playlist and delete the original files from the Playlist.

Add a column in your view for Playback Range. Shift+Left Click in the Playback Range cell and enter your playback range. Down arrow to the next song. It takes just a minute or so to setup your entire playlist with playback ranges.

Very Nice Information Desertdome!

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #1462 of 1467 Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to thank Baniel for all the time he took today, incredible help with his know how and endless patience during this process was simply awe inspiring . He dove in Jriver set up, and organized the mess I call my htpc, file over here, multiple files over there. Just chaos!
He even fixed issues with my set up, not directly involved with Jriver with my hard drives which from my understanding was a long drawn out ordeal. He fix it!

I believe one of my main problem with my library was the ISO and MKV files coexisting or should I say lack off, along with other players, it was not jiving at all. I just could not get my mind around this,(At least for me) or even where to start Lol. Just daunting, Baniel just got it working, and looking great.

If I only knew what Baniels has forgotten I would be one happy Jriver user.

Thank you very much for all the great advice, just hope it all sticks..

Dan
fitbrit likes this.
post #1463 of 1467 Old 11-10-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
I started a thread over in audio because that is what I use J River for but maybe the answer can be found here? (just found this thread)

Pretty simple question, I have a dedicated laptop for music that is managed by J River.

I have a second laptop that I want to stream music from the dedicated lap top from. I need a player to do so for the Flac, .Wav...

Right now I can only listen to the MP3 files.

What is the best way to configure or do I just get another player on the second lap top?

I looked on the J River site but it's just too overwhelming for a novice such as myself to follow along they way they lay it out.

thanks in advance

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1464 of 1467 Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What you are asking for is very easily doable with JRiver Media Center.
You need to install JRiver MC on both laptops - you may do so in accordance with the JRiver licencing terms.

On the dedicated 'server' laptop, you should enable Media Server.
It's to be found under Tools>Options>Media Network.
Check the very first box: Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA.

An access code will be generated, and you will be given the option to activate authentication (add a username and password).

On the other 'client' laptop, you should also go to the Media Network options section. (It's to be found under Tools>Options>Media Network.)
Go to Client Options (when connected to a library server) by clicking on the little arrow next to the text.
Check the first three boxes.
The second one is a special case, and you can get help on setting that up properly another time, but for now it's ok to have it checked.

Under Audio Conversion:

Either check Don't Convert Audio, or Convert Audio if Necessary.
If you check the latter, you will be presented with a choice of which encoder you wish to use to convert non-streamable files to a streamable format.

Now on the 'client', you can go to:
File> Library> Library Manager
Click: Add Library
Click: Library Server (this will cause the client laptop to look for your server laptop)
Enter the access code (from the server laptop setup above), and authentication information when prompted. (This will allow the client laptop to connect to the server laptop and use the latter's library).
Now you can play anything on the client, and it will stream from the server laptop.

Altogether the above procedures make the music on the dedicated laptop available for sharing on the other laptop.

This should get you up and running. Ideally, you would also map the drive on the dedicated laptop that contains the audio files, and share it on the other laptop so that the path to the music is the same on both computers. Then there will never be a need to convert. If this seems like another language to you, you can ask for help or read about it elsewhere. UNC paths are another solution, but I know little about these to help.
eljr likes this.
post #1465 of 1467 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, new JRiver user here. I downloaded and installed the trial JRiver MC 20 yesterday. I stopped the auto import as I want to manually select my media folders. I tried auto importing my movie folder which has a collection of around 200 movies mainly in mp4 format (and some avi's) but it took a very very long time. In fact after 2 hours (I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in the meantime) it had only imported 113 of 194 movies so I stopped the process and tried the simpler import one folder only. Again it was very slow so I switched it off and went to bed. Tonight I will clear the library, maybe do a clean install and try again.

But does anyone know why importing movies takes so long? Is the software searching the internet for cover art? My internet connection is a bit dodgy or maybe my Avast anti-virus is interfering somehow? On the other hand my flac library (40Gb) imported very quickly.

My PC is very recent and pretty quick, quad Corei5, 16Gb RAM, main OS (Windows 7 64 bit) is on an SSD, media library is on a local 2TB drive.

Last edited by zjboy; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.
post #1466 of 1467 Old Today, 04:24 AM

Liked: 1
OK, JRiver is importing a lot quicker now. Not sure what I did but I did untick the build thumbnails selection so it could be that.

Other than that I'm liking the software so far.
post #1467 of 1467 Old Today, 10:42 AM

Ask and you shall receive...

20.0.41 (11/20/2014)
6. NEW: Added Options > Audio > Advanced > Disable dither to disable any dithering in the playback engine.
Reply Home Theater Computers